Automatic fag here

Automatic fag here

How bad is driving manual in daily traffic? I really want to get a manual but am afraid I'll regret it for a DD. Weekend car? Absolutely. Not sure about sitting in traffic with one every day.

It depends honestly, I hated driving it south on 95 from DC to Fredericksburg, shit was bumper to bumper and can tax your knees, but if your area is lower population it would probably be more enjoyable

just get paddle shifters bro

I'm in the Chicago burbs. Dealing with stop and go traffic on the highways is a daily occurrence.

Depends on the car and the traffic. Light clutch, not completely jammed 100% of the time? You'll be fine. Cable clutch and gridlock? You're fucked.

Regardless of transmission, you should focus on always crawling forward, leaving just enough space to do so, this can be a carlength or two. Everybody behind you will thank you, this is how traffic gets resolved faster.

Do you enjoy giving yourself a headache? Why stop at manual, get yourself one of those bikes you can pedal to generate electricity to heat your home during the winter. Fetch your own water from the spring instead of paying the water bill. Grow your own fruits and slaughter your own cattle instead of going to the grocery store.

I do it every day, and while it could be worse (if I was in sf, for example), it's not that bad with a light clutch.

>sitting in traffic everyday
rethink your life.

it depends on the car and the type of traffic. Some cars you can lope along in 1st or second gear with the clutch out, some make it more difficult.

Tough it out if you're not a pussy. It's worth it for when you're not stuck in traffic.

>Depends on the car and the traffic
>it depends on the car

I was thinking of a 9th gen Civic Si

You'll be fine.

Go test drive one.

Hondas have fantastic manual gearboxes. You won't have any trouble in traffic with one. Clutch is light and the throws are about perfect.

In WA:

spokane: easy
seattle area: take the bike
everywhere else: traffic?

Ooooooo, maybe not such a good idea for a daily

Coming from a 2013 Civic Si owner, you'll be fine. The clutch is light enough to not be a pain in the ass when you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

You forgot about the pdx area. I sit in traffic everyday to work. I drive a manual too.

this

The only time it's ever bothered me was during some particularly bad stop-and-go once on the interstate where it was nonstop like that for like 3 hours. I have a stage 2 clutch and it's pretty heavy so it really started to hurt the bottom of my foot. Other than that I'm good.

>stage 2

What does this mean

Fag who's never really driven a manual for a long time. I'm often sleep deprived after work and/or stuck in traffic. Is there a point where you can just unconsciously shift and not think about it i'm assuming?

Stiffer more sensitive clutch

Literally nothing unless it's paired with a manufacturer.

It doesn't take long before you're not really even thinking about it anymore. I shift based on the sound and vibrations the engine makes usually, hardly ever look at RPMs, never have to look at shifter knob to see where the gears are on the tree, I just know where they all are. Give it like 2 weeks of regular driving and it'll be second nature I bet.

Don't drive sleepy I totaled my car doing that once. Get some coffee nigga.

Diesel cars could easily crawl without having to coast but small petrol engines? Shifting constantly

Honestly i dont even have to think about shifting. Only thing i dislike is being stuck in traffic or waiting at those long ass red lights when you need to hold the clutch. Shit is annoying after time.
But nothing would make me switch to automatic.

It sucks and whatever joy you get out of manual shifting will be offset many times over by inconvenience. Remember that Veeky Forums is mostly full of nocar burgers and euros who take the bus every day to community college. The only reason to have a manual is if your car is built for performance or for novelty.

Put it in neutral fgt

its prettybad gets old quick, i lose patience pretty quick in a manual and the wear and tear on the car is unnessecary. i would suggest a automatic for dd and weekend car with m/t.

>wear and tear on the car
What

How much traffic? How long is your commute? How long was your longest commute?

I drive in/out of a large (>4MM people) city's downtown regularly for work. It takes me about 35 mins, about 10 mins of which is stop & go.

It doesn't bother me at all to drive that commute in my 6-speed.

The unnecessary wear and tare that person is talking about is when you're too incompetent to operate a manual correctly, leading to premature wear.
If you're not ham fisted, you have nothing to worry about.

i get paid to drive and sit in traffic i take my time on purpose

People have been doing it for years in Yurop without any issue.

Kind of like how people lived happily before cellphones but once they appeared everyone kinda forgot how to live without them.

Manuel all your life and it doesn't bother you. If you tasted automatic then you will feel the bother.

>tare
lol

There will be unnecessary wear whenever you ride the clutch, which is pretty much unavoidable in stop and go traffic. Or am I wrong? I always feel bad when I ride the clutch.

dd an auto shitbox
manual a weekend car

if you cant afford two cars you are a cuckold

Kind of takes away from the point of manual if you have gay ass paddle shifters. You need to be working a clutch and a shift.

Honestly, if you've been doing it long enough you don't even notice. It's like breathing.

I have never once sat in traffic and even thought about having to shift. The only car I've ever driven that I didn't like in Traffic was my Audi, but that was because the clutch was heavy as fuck and my leg hurt after an hour of traffic.

Probably a twin plate

Flick it into neutral. I do this when ever I come to a stop.

I've never driven auto. I love my manual. It can get a little old if you're driving through miles and miles of stop and go traffic though.

Also, it makes getting road head real difficult sometimes, if you're into that sort of thing

>makes road head difficult
Who gets road head on the touge?
Best time is when you are cruising in 6th. No shifting required; no interruptions

In stop and go traffic that involves a lot of "stop", it's annoying but not much worse than an automatic. Staying stopped in an automatic sucks because you need a decent amount of force on the brake pedal. In a manual, unless you're on a hill you barely need to be on the brake pedal at all; a light touch is enough (mostly so your brake lights are on and you don't get rear-ended).

It's traffic constantly fluctuating between 1 and 10 mph that blows in a manual. It's difficult to accelerate and decelerate smoothly in 1st gear in most cars.

>my face when people that don't live in NYC, LA, or SF complain about traffic
You've never even seen traffic. Not in your entire fucking life.

>Live in San Francisco
>See manual drivers just cruise ever so slowly in 1st and keep a large distance from the car in front of them so they don't have to brake and go back to neutral and shift during traffic on the freeway
>Assholes see that as opportunity to cut into their lane in front of them, forcing them to go to neutral anyways

Yeah, not sure how someone could deal with that daily, I respect it.

Holy dicks, even driving an automatic is infuriating in LA. In SF people atleast have the courtesy to signal before they do something retarded.

>Cable clutch

Just about put my foot through the floor first time I drove a car with a hydraulic clutch lol

>He doesn't live in the DC Metro area
>he thinks he's seen """"""""""traffic""''''''''"""""

having driven in dc, sf, and la, i can tell you that sf has the most infuriating traffic by far

sf traffic is 80% retarded dipshit drivers
la traffic is just too many cars on the road, dc metro is just shit tier urban planning

but in dc and in LA when traffic lightens up people go, in the bay people trundle along at 45 in the passing lane forming impassable fucking walls with a quarter mile of open road in front of em

Try not skipping leg day, and you'll be fine

second this

Right? I learnt to drive in a '92 Feroza and could barely drive the instructors car at first cause I was so used to fighting mine. Had to drive it for the first time after getting my Impreza and it was like being back at square one.

DC traffic is both less congested and covers a far smaller area than LA.
DC is barely even in the top 10. Shut your god damn whore mouth.

DC is never 2 and it covers three states you stupid fucking faggot

I've driven manual transmission cars around St. Louis for the past 10 years. Mainly a Miata and Focus ST, and a few others. Everything from downtown gridlock to bumper-to-bumper highway traffic to sweet two-laners from out in the suburbs. At one point I had a 90-minute commute in heavy traffic.

I do not plan to ever own an automatic. As others have said, the quality of the car makes a big difference. I test drove cars with a balky shifter or awful DBW lag, and it became frustrating very quickly. Find a good car, and traffic is no problem.

FWIW I had an automatic Cobalt a few years ago while my car was in the shop. I didn't hate it. Many people choose automatics. But I prefer manual.

So in summary:

Get a car with a good shifter and a light clutch?

I drive with a clutch cable in LA traffic every day. To give a snapshot of how infuriating traffic is, I got my car out of the mechanic's on a Saturday afternoon, decided to take the car for a spin. There was so much goddamn traffic I couldn't even go fast enough for fifth gear. I commute 12 miles to work, which takes anywhere between 35 minutes to an hour.

Anyways, it's doable. It's less boring than automatic, but it requires a little more active attention. In stop and go, I usually try to leave small enough gaps that people don't merge in (because they fucking will if you give them an extra inch), but at the same time I don't have to ride the clutch. It's not as bad as I thought it would be to be honest.

Yes, or just a car that is responsive in general. My Miata was a great traffic companion, due to its low weight, notchy shifter, and responsive throttle. An older Civic would also be good , although both get pretty loud at higher speeds.

I sit in 2 hours of traffic going to work and about an hour on my way home driving this. Pic related yeah it sucks but I'd choose manual over auto anyway

M8 you need to move or find a new job.

Just stick with technology, OP. Don't get a memeual transmission.

i daily a manual in decently bad traffic and all i can tell you is this:

if you love it, you'll never be pissed off by traffic or anything. well i mean when you're starting out dont get caught in rush hour. i made that mistake and stalled out in traffic like 3 times. once you have it down, its no problem. just dont get frustrated and quit like all these autotragics. but if you're not all in on manual, don do it. i have never regretted my civic si, and neither will you companion.

i daily a 7th gen and MAN is my clutch heavy. but even that in new york traffic didn't kill the fun, so don worry about it dudem8

i cross 2 counties to get to my job. every place i have been to only pays me 10 so i honestly have no choice. the cost of living is too high thats why i also moved

Manual is fine. My daily commute has been 15 minutes for the past 5 years at different jobs. I understand that paddles are faster, but I really enjoy the interactive aspects of shifting/clutch. Stop and go traffic on a highway is a standard driver's worst nightmare and if I drove in 30+ min of stop and go traffic daily I would consider switching.