/POG/ - IMS is a meme edition

Welcome to /POG/, the place to ask questions or shitpost about past, current, or future P-car purchases or work. Or post pictures, you know, whatever.

"What used Porsche can I afford?"
(Prices reflect 100% sorted cars)

>Air Cooled 911?
$30k+ 964
$50k+ 993

>Water Cooled 911?
$20k+ 996
$30+ 996
$60k+ 991

Based 944
>$5000 N/A
>$10,000 Tarbo
*Disclaimer: You can buy a 944 for under a grand, but the overwhelming consensus in the community is that sorted cars cost ~$5k... so if you buy that car for under a grand when you're done it'll be around or over $5k. YMMV.

>928/968
>$7k - $8k

If you are a regular poster who's car is not included in the OP drop a photo in the thread and remind me to add it to the photo.

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=53203&endYear=2017&modelCode1=944&showcaseOwnerId=70398167&makeCode1=POR&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=50&showcaseListingId=402506782&mmt=[POR[944[]][]]&listingId=423857595&Log=0
harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck u alphonse fite me

Rear-facing baby seat fits in the 991 with full use of the latch system. IE, perfect family car.

Unless your wife is from the planet Amazonia.

>having to bend over and reach into the back to get kids in and out every day for years
No thanks

OP, what Porsche (assuming you own one) do you drive?

I only have to do it once a week. Not too big of a deal unless you're lolverweight or a manlet. Puts the baby to sleep almost immediately.

I own an '84 944 that is undergoing track prep, but have driven and worked on my dad's 911's for years. he's currently got a 997S.

A+ user, only plebs need 4 doors

*$30k+ 997

>What used Porsche can I afford?
*/POG-USA/

So it's not a family car then if you only put a family in it once a week.

>$

What?

YES YES YES!!!

My least favorite /POG/ thread.

My least favorite /pog/ poster

I only HAVE to do it once a week. We go for fun far more often.

Thank you kindly, how do you like the 997 S? Is it a 997.1 or 997.2? Manuel or Notomatic?

Should add the Boxsters and Caymans

$7k+ 986
$14k+ 986 S
$20k+ 987 (+$2-5k for Cayman)
$25k+ 987 S (+$2-5k for Cayman)

The one for poorfags

I plan on upgrading next year, my options are
>987 Cayman S
>996 Carrera 4S
>Carrera engine swap in my 986 Boxster
>Corvette C5 Z06
>Fiata with a tune

Thank you.

:^)

Crap you're right sorry about that.

You're right, the one for poorfags, but only because it's a track car build. I looked at spec 986 but 2$$4me to prep and race competitively

997.1 S with the 3.8 and 6 speed manual.

Genuinely better than the 996 he had, but that's not to say the 996.2 is a bad car. It's just that Porsche paid attention and solved a lot of little issues between those generation.

Best advice I've been given about sports cars is to buy the absolute best you can afford, so instead of the 997.2 carrera he looked at he opted for the 997.1 S with sport exhaust and Chrono package.

Yeah those spec racing costs scare me even though my car is eligible
>accusump and deep sump kits are $1500+
>Bilstein suspension overhaul is $3000
>custom fibreglass hardtops match suspension costs

I've seen spec conversions quoted at like $30k when you provide a donor car

Exactly. Most people who do the work themselves (aside from the cage) spend around $25k. A winning, log booked spec 944 is at worst $12-$15k to buy turnkey, or $8-$10k to build. So I'll be busy racing that while I save for a 911.

Speaking of 986s, why the hell does the 5 speed need this retarded overpriced bit to drain the tranny oil when the more expensive 6 speed uses a regular ass 10mm hex bolt?

Porsche loves those triple square bits. I bet your cv's use the same style. I've seen them on 944s and 911s as well.

Nice. I was looking at 997.2 S 6MT with SPASM, Sport Chrono, Exhaust, Carrera S wheels, Full Leather, and a few other options, but then I bought a house.

A few months into owning the house I couldn't find a similarly optioned example anywhere, found pic related and was able to get a very reasonable deal on it. Couldn't afford the 991.1 S, they're all $20k over budget and the prices are moving glacially slow.

In a few years I'll probably start looking for a blue 991.1 Targa GTS to replace it provided their prices come down just a bit.

Two words: German Engineering

Oh hell yes, that targa is sexy af

Thankfully Porsche is consistent about updates so in the next couple of years they should come down nicely.

Forgot pic

Any love for the 924s? Or do you guys not consider them Porsches? This is my super humble underpowered german machine.

My shitbox $200 944 comes in on Friday, im kinda hyped.

I think a few people here have them, and I believe those VW van engines respond well to modifications

So I've heard, though to be honest I'm not super fussed about the power. (I have a supersports bike). Driving it is just so raw and balanced. Premium delicious drive. I can only imagine how fantastic the 911s and newer models are.

Are you restoring it? Or just refurbishing? Pics?

If the engine ever decides to give up on life, you could swap it for an Audi I5. You could even go full madman and turbo the fucker.

Of course you're welcome here.

Also love the color

Most practical sportscar

..is 911.

Cayman bruv

It can carry four humans

..at least.

Can't carry enough junk in its trunk

True that.

But there's even more space than in Cayman.

It's harder to use though, no hatch

DIS YOURS?

>implying kids count as humans

No.

>924
Cute. Half a Porsche.

What a douche.

>thinks he's better because he bought a 30 year old Craigslist special Porsche with double cylinders

>hating on the car
Another douche. I was in better thoughts about /pog/.

Thats not very nice, m8.

Cool car, though.

I'm hating in the owner for hating on the other car

This could have been me if I didn't go to school for the summer semester

Pizza Porsche!!!!

>putting a can AND the box directly on your paint

user sTOP YOU'RE TRIGGERING ME
THE PAINT
THE PAINT

Shiet it's a 996 too, that's another reason for me to buy one

Holy shit I didn't even know the 911 had a rear hatch

Targas have

"Targa"

What?

It's more or less just a big sunroof

Yes, that's what targa is.

Roof isn't removable enough

What? There is no more roof. Go with a convertible then.

No

>No
No

>>No
>No
No

This is one of the less appealing 911's for me. And I like classic 911's.
All 911 targas have completely removable roofs.

Yes, there's various types of targa roofs.

What do you think, /POG/?

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=53203&endYear=2017&modelCode1=944&showcaseOwnerId=70398167&makeCode1=POR&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=50&showcaseListingId=402506782&mmt=[POR[944[]][]]&listingId=423857595&Log=0

Pretty sure this is the damage here

How hard is it to replace the clutch on a 944? never done such a thing to a transaxle. How long/ what tools does a semi-competent guy like me need?

Book hours are 16, I would expect to spend a lot of that if its your first time. It's not complicated there's just a lot to do.

Disconnect the transmission in the back and remove, then disconnect torque tube from the bell housing and slide back enough to get the bell housing off to do the clutch. Of course this is one of those "while you're in there" things so check out your torque tube and cv's etc.

Have a look at clarkes garage for a step by step

One day...

Yup, that's a dent

At $5k that's starting to approach Boxster prices

The paint looks damaged. My car had a small dent but the paint was ok so the repair was cheap and it didn't needed any paint job.

Not sure if a 944 is similar to a 928. But with a 928, there is no need to move the transmission or torque tube. There is a coupling in the torque tube shaft just behind the bell housing that can be slipped back to clear the clutch. The bottom half of the bell housing can be removed and this gives sufficient clearance to unbolt the pressure plate and remove it and the discs. The flywheel can also be removed. It takes me about 4 or 5 hours lying under my car in the garage, cursing.

Interesting, when I did it I just pulled the trans because everyone says you have to in order to get the TT out of the way.

928's also have the rear mounted trans right?

I would expect less space on those so I guess it's worth a shot.

>928's also have the rear mounted trans right?

Yes. Check for that splined coupling just behind the bell housing. And if the bell housing has an access cover on the bottom.

I've never worked on a 944. But they were designed (actually the 924 platform) at the same time as the 928. The 928 clutch is easy to remove. I had to pull mine when it ate the throwout bearing and the release lever pivot ball.

Have you guys ever had to replace your hood badge? Where is the best place to get a genuine replacement from? Pelican?

How you lose your hood badge?

And fleaBay I guess. Find a silver one, they look neat assuming your car isn't also silver

The guy I bought it off said he had taken it off many years ago for fear of someone else knicking it and doesn't know where he's stored it. He says he'll keep having a look around for it but I'm not holding my breath.

Silver would look pretty sweet you're right.

Not the other guy, but it could just be chipped or scratched. The colored crests on my wheels are peeling slightly.

Don't mind me, didn't refresh quick enough.

Alright
How much would it be to buy a 944 and throw in an engine I can rely on like a 4age

If you're asking you probably can't pull it off
You'll need a custom bell housing, custom wiring, and you'll need to do your own fab work to mount the engine

Take a look at Tom's Turbo Garage videos on the LS3 powered Miata build to get an idea of how much work you really have to do
And he did a popular swap that had a kit to make things easier

>Brake Fluid light's been on the past week in my 944
>Finally get some time to refill it this weekend
>Decide to bleed each caliper
>Get everything on jacks and pull off rear wheels
>Left rear bolt is fucking stripped and I can't open the valve
>Realize I'm gonna have to replace it, but that's gonna be a massive bitch seeing as I can't pull it out because again, it's stripped
>Right rear
>Opens fine
>Hook up tube connected to bottle of brake fluid
>Old fluid starts coming out
>Eventually air bubbles start coming through
>Good to know I'm getting air out of the line
>Eventually it just starts sucking air back in, no new fluid is coming out, just pumping everything back and forth

Send help

harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html