Why are interference engines a thing?

Why are interference engines a thing?
Why do they still exist.
Imo, they're flawed from the get go and serve no purpose.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FDuTi0OpITk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because power

Well they obviously DO serve a purpose.

Because if the valves and pistons every actually do interfere it's because you didn't maintain your fucking timing belt you mouth breathing idiot.

High compression or die

Because some people like engines with a usable amount of power

Flat plane cranks are stupid too, right?

>Flawed from the get go

That's what my dad used to say about 2-strokes when I was a kid, and would never buy me a Banshee because of it.

"I'm not paying retail price for something brand new that burns oil."

>40:1
>3 oz per gallon
>One pint bottle per like 5 gallons
Your dad was retarded and/or a jew

Have you guys seen the "pre-mixed 2 cycle fuel" they sell at places like home depot and wal mart in the weed eater section? It's seriously $20 a gallon for a jug of non-ethanol gasoline + a couple oz of oil. I can't believe people would actually buy that shit.

>buying pre-mix anything

that shit is for lazy shits

Oh wow, no haven't seen that.
But is sounds like you need to get out more. The overwhelming majority of people are really fucking stupid.

I'll buy a jug of 50/50 pretty mixed antifreeze to keep on hand for topping off a coolant reservoir.

>Implying you cant have high compression on a non interference engine.
>What is the 426 Hemi, the Max Wedge series, RB Wedge

Or is 12:1+ not high compression to you for a gas engine?

I mean, I know they wouldn't be wasting shelf space on it if people never bought the stuff but when you can buy the supplies to make more than 5x the amount of fuel for the same price I just... Can't wrap my head around what people who purchase that stuff are thinking. It comes in a metal jug with a screw cap on it like paint thinner so it wouldn't even be legal to take it to a gas station and fill it back up when it's empty.

>12:1
>"""""""""""""""high""""""""""""" compression

this is what fagrods actually believe in

>tfw 130k miles into original belt

>Implying high compression and high amounts of valve lift are a bad thing

As long as you've got a sturdy chain or set of gear connecting the crank and camshaft(s), it's not a problem.

sorry that your little bitty wheezebox can only manage 200hp with 12:1 compression.

Flat plane crank V8's aren't a significant improvement, but they aren't stupid.

All those engines have domed pistons iirc, and the pistons weights on them are massive, even taking material, age and size into consideration. Heavy rotating assemblies are shit.

12:1 is pretty high for technology that old. 14:1 is leading edge right now.

>tfw timing chain

>valves right above the cylinder

Bitches pls

>14:1
>tfw only 13.8:1

youtube.com/watch?v=FDuTi0OpITk

>Intake near exhaust
At least post a crossflow T-head.

All American V8s are interference but it is not a problem because they use timing chains.

There's not a lot of videos like these that shows a cutaway of a running engine

>Why are interference engines a thing?
Better compression.
>Why do they still exist.
Better compression gives more heat for a cleaner burn and better economy.
>Imo, they're flawed from the get go and serve no purpose.
They're ok when done right. My Subaru is a bomb waiting to happen being interference and belt driven.

It should come like that in the first place because I can't put non diluted coolant straight into my car desu famiglia

Inb4 reeeee

I can't pull over to the gas station on the side of the road and buy a jug of straight coolant and pour it in ****

>tfw my car uses some weird coolant that is only sold in one store here and only comes as a concentrate
I can't be fucked bleeding everything so I just keep some mixed in a coke bottle in the boot. Should stick it in a sports drink bottle and see if someone tries to drink it.

>buy second hand vehicle
>oil is black when I drain it
>funnel it into a Pepsi bottle laying around
>put in fridge
>few hours later I'm eating dinner
>hear, "Oh, what the FUCK", from kitchen

You're not quite right in the head are you?

Just fucking with housemates m80.

because valve lift is good and compression is good and both is gooder

You sick bastard