Your country

>your country

>how you would change licensing process to make people better drivers and prevent retards from getting licenses in the first place

>misc changes to vehicle and traffic laws to make roads safer (goal is safety, not >muh public racetrack)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Germany?wprov=sfla1
angloinfo.com/germany/how-to/page/germany-transport-driving-driving-rules
visionzeroinitiative.com/
youtu.be/iqm6NKk6Pyo
youtube.com/watch?v=7rpDyJ9qS4E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

USA

Copy Germany's licensing and learning program verbatim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Germany?wprov=sfla1

Copy Germany's driving laws verbatim
angloinfo.com/germany/how-to/page/germany-transport-driving-driving-rules

Enjoy dumbasses having to pile into buses

>US
>cut NJ out and don't let their drivers into other states

What? Where am I encouraging an international discussion you dumb motherfucker?

This thread is about driving laws and what needs to be changed. Asking for the country is so people will have a general idea of what your current laws may be.

Faggot.

>Norway
More focus on winter driving, indicator use and thinking ahead

Make newer & safer cars more affordable by dropping taxes and fees.

Rework the laws regarding the amount of studs in a winter tire and the laws that say you cannot use studded tires outside of certain dates.

Rework the archaic laws about additonal lighting on cars, which makes no sense and prevents people from putting properly powerful lighting on their vehicles

USA

Make it illegal to drive without insurance, with an expired or no driver's license, drive a car that is missing indicators or is otherwise unsafe, and enforce traffic laws with traffic cops everywhere who write tickets and arrest people all day long.

Oh wait, all of that shit already happens yet everyone still sucks at driving.

>your country
Mexico

>how you would change licensing process to make people better drivers and prevent retards from getting licenses in the first place
Holy shit where do I start...
Ideally copy germany's like USA said, but given corruption levels I doubt anyone would do it.
I guess I would start by mandating a certain amount of road time accompanied by a certified instructor, plus safety course (first aid, knowing how to change a tire, etc. really). To avoid people bypassing it by paying it off, I'd subsidize part of it and work with insurance companies and dealers in order to have a system that actively checks their real experience and credits... so buying/owning a car would be a pain in the ass unless you do your required shit.

Although honestly people aren't bad drivers here, besides those in mexico city, who are basically like drivers you see in videos from india or china.

Major problem is drinking and driving.

>misc changes to vehicle and traffic laws to make roads safer (goal is safety, not >muh public racetrack)
New drinking and driving prevention programs are already in place and are working better. The fines are huge, going to "detention"/jail is not as easy to pay off.
I would probably make a trial run of a year or two years partially subsidizing uber/taxis at night so they don't charge extra.
Have some public transportation through the night available during those times people are likely to drink (fridays, saturdays, a day previous to a holiday, etc.) just like it's done here in germany.

Getting rid of bad cars is also the same as getting rid of bad owners off the road. Thus, one way to get bad drivers off the road is to also get rid of cars that statistically belong to bad drivers.

Have mandatory auto emissions inspections every 2 years at a minimum. At the inspection, both valid driver's license AND proof of insurance which also specifies the car being inspected is also the car that is on the proof of insurance policy. This prevents driver trading to launder cars that have no insurance policy for them. Without emissions test, there are no license tabs for that car and it is not legal on public streets.

There should be a police stubstation across the street from the emissions test stations. The officers are ready and waiting to ticket each failure and have the cars towed to impound yards whose daily rate is $150 for the first day and $50 each day thereafter.

>your country
NZ
The licensing system is actually pretty decent I dont think I would change anything.
I would raise the motorway speed limit from 100 to 120.

>uk
>nothing
>nah m8 we're good

shit m8 everyones so scared of crashing and sending their insurance sky high.
the way to win is to have the best shitiest car ever, if i crash its >£500 for a car for atleast a year.
driving is all about confidence, when you put something like money there, normies hesitate 'cause they worship it.

>still mad about that third light

technical driving test every five years with no errors allowed.
it would make sure all the oldfags who got their licenses 50 years ago know how to use a roundabout and indicate before slamming to a halt.

>hard mode: shit tier driving is also a fail
>time trial component
what shits me the most is people waiting forever for completely clear roads when they could have merged 5 minutes ago.

>your country
Strrrraya
>how would you change licencing
I'm so glad you asked
>mandatory re-testing if three your-fault insurance claims are made during your probationary licence
Which lasts for four years now. I'm convinced some people fluked the test. Also, for some strange reason we think that everyone is physically capable of driving properly.

>Registration fee discounts for ABS equipped motorcycles for learner riders
They're fucking up our statistics by going under trucks when it rains

>Rego discounts for multiple vehicles registered under one driver
$800 a year, per car, is fucking ridiculous. Fuck the RTA.
If your rego runs out, and you repay it after two months of not being registered, you have to back-pay to the day it expired. You're literally paying for insurance retrospectively. On that basis, I should be able to drive a car unregistered and when pulled over by the Po-Pos and given a huge fine, simply pay the rego instead and remove the basis for a fine.

>left turns against red lights made legal
It's so fucking ridiculous that this hasn't been done yet

>raise the tolerance on speed to 10%
Cunts, getting done for 3 kay over is stupid

And I need to figure out how to make good tyres affordable for P plate drivers

>your country

Germany

Everything is pretty much perfect here.

Can you modify cars? Otherwise I'd probably agree with you

I legitimately believe oldsters cause more mayhem on the road than teens.

Sooooo many accidents result from people coming up on a car in the fast lane doing 50 in a 70 with granny at the wheel and having to slam on the brakes or pass on the right.

You'd be damned right that I'm "mad" about that, but its not because I had to go through the trouble of removing it, getting it inspected and so on. I was fully aware that it was what I had to do if I was caught.

Its just that the rules make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and basically make it illegal to put good lights onto it. It also makes no fucking sense to restrict it so you can only have two, and not three, one, or four and so on. Also that you're only allowed so much lumen, and having additional lights somehow "add" to the lumen count although they are aimed in a different direction

What can possibly be the harm of having three identical lights to cover a wider area? The lights are no brighter, they do not go further. All that'll do is allow me to see the edge of the forest and what comes from it much sooner

You can modify cars, yes. But you have to have it checked out by the TÜV to make sure it is still roadworthy.

>I legitimately believe

Just check insurance statistics. No need to believe when you can have facts.

Sounds fair

Australia has similar rules. Lights need to be symmetrical, or some shit. Which makes perfect sense until you start looking at motorcycles.

Anyway. I used to live in Malaysia. Malaysia has a huge problem with what is fantastically called "snatch theft" - some dick on a scooter smashes your drivers window and steals your missus's handbag from her lap.
As a result the government/police advise people to get thick window tint which makes it a lot harder to break through the window.
Except, it's illegal to register (or change owners) of a car that has window tint on it. You have to peel it all off.
Every government car, nearly every private car, most cop cars, they all have tinted windows.

Just to say, there is always a country more stupid than yours.

I think so too. What it leads to is that modifications have to be done to a certain standard which means no shit like pic related for example. That would get you your car pulled off the streets immediately!

On the other hand it makes modifying your car a lot more expensive

All countries should adopt Sweden's vision zero.

visionzeroinitiative.com/

The basic idea is that ALL life is valuable, and no deaths are acceptable. Since we are all human, we all make mistakes. The transportation system should be designed so those mistakes aren't fatal.

For example, the human tolerance for a pedestrian hit by a well-designed car is approximately 30 km/h. Therefore a road with ANY possibility of impact between pedestrians and cars cannot exceed 30 km/h (20 mph).

Honestly we really need that in the U.S.

Cut springs, stance, donks, stretched sportbikes; a lot of the fashionable vehicle scenes make their cars dangerous.

Also, I think cops should check tire tread depth and brake pads when stopping people like they do in some countries. I think probably 70% of Americans don't do any preventative maintenance they just get shit repaired when it breaks.

It's similar in Australia, but it's a bit more complicated (and expensive) than just an inspection.
Consequently a lot of modifying goes uncertified.

Hence our obsession with sleepers.

i dun want no more muslims

One of my college professors did some contract work for the petroleum industry in Chile when he was younger (back in the 80's I think). He said that while he was there, one of his friends (also an engineer contractor from America) was riding in a taxi, window down, arm casually hanging out the window, sitting in traffic when two guys came up, one grabbed his arm and bent it back so he couldn't move it and another used some pliers / cutters to cut the guy's ring finger off so they could steal his gold wedding band. He said it happened so fast the thieves were running off with the guy's ring and attatched ring finger before he really knew what had happened to him.

Fuck that, pedestrians need to learn to fucking pay attention and watch out for cars when they're in the street.

Humans make mistakes. Just because someone makes a mistake doesn't mean they deserve to die.

Make it a felony offence to text and drive.

I like this video of an Aussie cop inspecting and admiring a classic Mazda rotary that's been tastefully modified. The cop obviously knows cars as appreciates them and this compliments the owner and puts him on his way.

youtu.be/iqm6NKk6Pyo

Most American cops hate anything fast that challenges their authority by being faster than their 250 hp sedans. Occasionally you get cool cops that like performance cars but mostly it's ignorant nerds.

I get the impression from aussies on Veeky Forums That a lot of Australia's cops are rule Nazis though.

It also doesn't mean that everyone else should drive at a snail's pace because every once in a while some retard runs out into the street without looking and wins a darwin award.

I never had a cop check tire tread depth or brake pads on my car here in Germany to be honest but they do it (at least the tires).
We have mandatory inspections every two years anyway and people tend to bring their car in for manufacturer scheduled inspections on time too.

In Germany if you just add bolt-on aftermarket parts that already have an "ABE" (a certificate that says the parts is approved for by the TÜV basically) it is pretty straightforward I think. The TÜV inspector will just check to see if it was installed properly most of the time.
Getting approval for parts without an ABE can get very expensive iirc.

Some other german might come and correct me on that. Personally I have never modified any of my cars except for different wheels maybe.

Read the fucking OP, retard.

We could go a step further and put an upper limit of 50hp engines in all passenger vehicles and lower the speed limit of highways to 60km/h. That way almost any crash should be survivable for the occupants of the vehicle and we might as well drop speed limits down to 25km/h in areas where pedestrians are likely to be present just for extra safety, maybe even 20km/h. You can never be too safe really.

Don't forget mandatory cushioned protective suits for all pedestrians.

5 point racing harnesses, full nomex suits, gloves, helmet and HANS device for all vehicle occupants.

In German the police pulls you over for going too slow :^)

Are you even trying to compete rest of the world?

youtube.com/watch?v=7rpDyJ9qS4E

Fuck it.. just get rid of all motorized vehicles altogether. Maybe allow bicycles on a trial basis but I hear they can be pretty dangerous too. Only walking and public transportation should be allowed if we want maximum safety for our citizenry.

It's illegal to go under a certain speed on interstate highways here in the states too germanon.

There is no minimum speed on the Autobahn. What these people did was endanger other people and not following the Rechtsfahrgebot

I don't speek Nazi, what's a Reichfarggot?

>Ban cyclists from the road, they can only ride in dedicated cycling lanes or the sidewalk
>Bus stops on main roads need to have a little bit of road for the bus to pull into and stop, so it doesn't fucking block up a whole lane of traffic in rush hour when people are getting on
>Make turning off main roads through opposing traffic fucking illegal between the hours of 7-9am and 4-6pm
>Improve traffic light road sensors to tell when there's an enormous amount of people waiting at one set and to thus favour it

>Merika
>make the licensing tests harder to roughly a high school graduate level of difficulty
20% of future drivers are immediately shit out of luck and can no longer make terrible decisions behind the wheel. They'll cry 'muh racism!', 'muh fee-fees!' but we'll still be alive and not crashing into some donk ass motherfucker with no insurance.

yeah it's like that in 95% of the world
the fuck are you talking about

Rechtsfahrgebot is a law saying that you have to leave the left lane after overtaking or when there is sufficient space in the lanes next to it for you to drive on at whatever speed you're doing.

So, it's basically just a law saying to stay out of the "fast lane" unless you're passing someone then, right?

It's slightly more general than that - basically stay as far right as possible in any given situation.
Exceptions are multi-lane roads in urban areas, you can pick whichever lane you want there.

They're all women kek

just got back from moscow. I'm guessing thats the city in your pic?

Russian fines are waaay too small and everybody drives like they forgot to turn off thr iron, crossing lines and squeezing between cars for a turn.

>basically stay as far right as possible in any given situation.

This point is quite debatable by the way.

Ah, gotcha. We have basically the same regulations here on interstates and other divided highways but we don't have a specific term for it.

Outside of urban areas there are signs posted saying "Slower traffic keep right" and "Left land for passing only" and in urban areas passenger vehicles can use any lane but a lot of times commercial vehicles (18 wheelers, large box trucks) aren't allowed in the far left lane.

*"Left LANE for passing only"

I didn't sleep well and just got out of bed.. need coffee badly.

Preach brother

Yes. A large percentage of drivers and cars have no business on the road.

Germany here, I would add mandatory skidpad exercises to driving school, instead lower the minimum amount of hours to apply for the exam, but keep the exam level the same. Also I'd make it a harder process to install slow speed limits and instead make enforcement stricter for those that do have a right to exist. Also I'd allow dashcams, but only for accident investigation, not for baseless snitching. And maybe I'd ease up modification laws.

Wait, are dashcams not allowed in Germany?

>15134303
Minimum speed on the autobahn is 60kmh, when you go under you're a obstacle and endangering others, when your vehicle can't do 60 you're not allowed to use the autobahn

Agree on the dashcams, disagree on mandatory driving hours. You only have to drive 12x, that's 9hours in total, I have driven more than that in a day

They are not forbidden but they get rejected at court most of the times afaik

>your country
Poland
Make the examiners pick the route at random instead of sticking to just the roads nearest to the examination centre. This way people wouldn't be able to pass the test by memorising how to drive on certain roads but they would actually have to look at the signs.
It's pretty much my pet peeve, but I wish there was a regulation that forced a certain visibility level on intersection with equal priority for all roads so pic related doesn't happen

The dashcam topic is a complete clusterfuck in Germany. You are allowed to have a dashcam running for private use for example when you want to film the landscape you're driving through. It get's a lot more complicated if you want to upload the video to youtube for privacy reasons.

And it get's even more complicated if you want to use your video material in court to prove someone caused an accident or something like that and in most cases the video won't be allowed as evidence.

The fuck?

>when your vehicle can't do 60 you're not allowed to use the autobahn

This is right. The rest is bullshit

Yeah... I agree with some others on here in saying that licenses are too easy to obtained. I don't want them to be prohibitedly expensive as they are in some yuro countries, but just hearing my German and Swedish friends talking about their process vs. mine is a joke.

I went to the DMV and passed the written by reading up something on Google on the way to the place.

I then went to a """"drivers ed"""" class where some fat guy a Triple A played a video cassette and walked out of the room, which lowered my insurance by about a third.

Then I went to the DMV with an automatic Cavalier and passed the test which was basically drive around this neighborhood.

Now how did this prepare me to drive a manual mustang and parallel park it in the city I work at? It's no wonder people here sick at driving.

That's some horseshit.. if you literally film someone performing an illegal maneuver and causing an accident then it should be admissible in court, god damn judicial systems everywhere are all retarded and full of stupid rules and loopholes.

I have no problem with the privacy laws here in America regarding filming or photography. It basically says that if you're in a public area, or even on private property in plain view from a public area (like an adjacent road or sidewalk) then you should have no expectation of privacy and are allowed to film or be filmed.

Kek, if you take your driving test on an automatic car in Germany you're not allowed to drive anything other than automatics.

I took Driver's Ed at home with my parents. Had to get my learner's permit, read a book, and log like 30 hrs of driving time under various conditions with a licensed driver who was over 21 in the vehicle. Then I just filled out the paperwork saying that I had done Drivers Ed, went to the DMV and took a 20 question written test, and got my full license, no driving test required. I actually read the book and did the required amount of behind the wheel time but I could've just as easily lied on that part and no one at the DMV would've known otherwise.

If I hadn't taken Driver's Ed then I would have had to take a driving test but with Driver's Ed they waive the driving test completely in my state.

To this day I cannot parallel park. I don't often go places where it's necessary to do so but when I do I'll normally just make several attempts to squeeze into a parking space until finally just giving up, driving a million blocks away to a regular parking lot, and then walk 30 mins back to the place I was trying to go to.

I should probably just suck it up and spend a couple of hours learning how to parallel park some day but I just feel like it's a waste of time when I only need to do it maybe once every year or two.

AUS
>caught texting / DUI
>shown car crash gore
>caught again
>permanent loss of license
>caught driving
>5 years jail

You're right, 60 isn't the lower limit
But you're not allowed to go slow for no reason
It all depends on the driving conditions

Take your time leaning it, I wasn't good at it either until I move to a big city where I either had to squeeze my car in ever so small gaps or pay 100€/mo for spot in a parking block
Now I can maneuver into every parking spot in heavy traffic without breaking a sweat, gf finds it "manly" too

You're not allowed to impede traffic for no reason or even worse endanger other drivers by going very slowly, yeah. If the Autobahn was pretty much completely empty nothing would prohibit you from doing walking speed in the right lane.

Is not hard. There are rules, like how far you pull up to start, then it's just lock, backup, reversi lock, backup. If I can parallel an F350 crew cab long bed, you can parallel your shit box.

Fucking millennials.

I'm 28, I drive a full size pickup too, and I only have to parallel park maybe once a year so I've just never actually put in the effort to learn how to do it. Fuck off.

>try to park f350
>oops I just drove up onto that dudes bonnet, no damage done to f350
oh well
>drive off

Height restrictions on the vehicle you can drive.

No more 4'11" girls in Tahoes who can barely see over the dash, or 80 y/o Grandmas looking through the hole between the wheel and dash to see ahead.

I was quite happy parallel parking my shitbox lancer hairdresser car and then I bought my supra and I'm too scared to, don't feel bad a lot of people avoid it

USA, specifically Denver

Make a new type of road sign to replace the 80% of Yield signs here that actually mean: there is a gigantic lane 3 miles long for you to turn right into where you can leisurely judge traffic and merging conditions as you drive without fucking stopping.

Because as bad as that is, what's worse is that random Yield in a different part of town that you only realize doesn't have three feet of merge lane at the last fucking second and barely avoid pulling into a giant wreck.

>Pic unrelated

FUCKING
M
I
LL
E
NN
I
A
L
S

what if I said I struggle to park between the lines normally? and sometimes even give up?

Parrallel parking is a requirement here and shitheads still can't do it

>look mom, I used that word on Veeky Forums again lol XD

>be in college
>girlfriend and mom take me to bus station down town
>mom driving
>bitch goes to parallel park
>doesn't even fucking look
>backs up until cracking into the bumper of the car behind
>pulls forward smacking the bumper of the car in front
>backs up half again as much
>puts in park

What are you fucking driving by braille?

What are you scared of, cars don't explode if you fuck it up a little

idk mang I've just seen some dumb people scrape their rims up against gutters and shit. I think I'm capable of reverse parking I just think I will be pretty upset if I do scratch up anything on my car or hit someone elses.

I'd serverely want to come to your house and beat you in your own driveway with a tire iron at first, then I'd forget about it except every time I saw someone who couldn't park in lot lines I'd think of you and just feel disappointed about humanity.

1. don't be dumb

Problem solved

USA

Learner's permit at 16 for all states, no exceptions.

Full license at 18, requires driver's education course that includes teaching how to drive manual; clean driving record for the previous two years.

Drop all the US-specific import and regulation laws, similar to the United Arab Emirates, where Honda sells American fat people cars (Odyssey, Pilot) and the JDM Odyssey and third world cars (City). Same goes for brands such as Renault that are not in the US.

Its legal in some areas.

>Vision test every 3 years
>Raise speed limits by 10kph across the board (excluding school zones)
>adopt P-plate system for 16 year old drivers (too many highschool shitlords around here driving V8 mustangs, Mercs, BMWs, etc)
>First year of driving should have a 150hp limit
>mandatory driver's ed.

This but with also the Finnish driving school stuff.

> UK
Harder driving tests, theory and practical.
Mandatory 5-10 year retests to keep your license.
Get rid of speed cameras entirely; they CAUSE accidents.
Points on licenses for accidents as well as traffic offences.
Lighten the tax burden on drivers, but tighten MOTs so it's harder for a shitbox to pass.
Allow HGVs in bus lanes, so they can get in and out of towns quicker and easier. They're deadly to anyone stupid enough to fuck with them, so they should be spending as little time in traffic as possible.
Ban overly-bright headlights.
White street lights instead of yellow.
LEDs instead of cats eyes on motorway lane markings. Way easier to follow.
Fine local authorities that don't fix the roads fast enough, with the fines being spent on repairs and compensation to drivers.

The money for all this would come from automating the DVLA's system. Sure, this would stop people without bank accounts from reclaiming their cars when they're seized for unpaid fines, but IF YOU CAN'T OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT YOU DON'T DESERVE TO DRIVE, AND CAN'T AFFORD TO ANYWAY.

>ban swimming pools deeper than 3 feet
Humans make mistakes. Just because someone makes a mistake doesn't mean they deserve to die.

>ban sharp edged implements and water hot enough to scald

>ban the construction of masonry walls within 150 feet of roadways

Mandatory fresh-me-ups every 5 years to keep drivers up to date on current rules and tell them they need to learn how to drive jesus christ did they all get their license by sucking a dick?

Get old people out of traffic.

You're everything that's wrong with America. I'm certain you have no real reason to actually drive a truck designed specifically for commercial purposes - i.e. carring bricks and felled trees. You would drive a ford f-ruindrivingexperienceforotherpeople because you're a fucking insecure seppo, and you need the biggest vegicle you can find to feel manly and 'dominate' other drivers; even though you can only park in country towns, and with great difficulty convincing people you're not an egotistical asshole.

Btw, the other guys an asshole for his generation bullshit he uses to explain his failure in life. You're an asshole for the being the lowest of retarded septics.

what the fuck america
>mandatory driver's ed 55 hour theoretical
>theoretical exam with 30 questions
>mandatory 14 hours behind the wheel
>driving test with pararel parking, and one other thing like starting against the hill, parking backwards, etc, and then in traffic for at least 40 minutes
>if you take it on a automatic, you can only drive automatics
Also, it all costs money
europoor is cucked

in the US there is a bit of a challenge
>how do you make everybody better drivers without excluding people without money from driving because it's so vital to get from place to place especially from home to work because of the ridiculous urban sprawl and how far everything is spread out and how bad / expensive public transportation is in a lot of places

our used car market is stupid as fuck too, cost of entry into it is ridiculous. if you're not dealing with rice tax on somebody's shitty civic you're dealing with nationalism tax on a domestic. you're also dealing with literally 50+ different testing methods.

So we replace state B/D MV's with a federal BMV
I like Ohio's written exam, it's cheap and quick, and weeds out the retards and people who need glasses fast without excluding people who know the rules of the road at the time. all the learning materials are free, and you don't have to take a driving school course if you study your ass off in your spare time.

the driving portion of most of the US's driving school is extremely weak.

I think a 3 step process might work well, plus a maneuverability test that includes both parallel parking and a corners test (pic related). the road portion would involve residential driving, major thoroughfare driving, and highway driving + proper exiting and ENTERING.

License renewal is very weak, instead of just paying a fee, you should be required to retake that stupidly easy written exam again (easy as long as you remember the road rules) as well as the corners section of the maneuverability test plus an eye exam to ensure that you haven't lost vision since the last time you took the exam and that your glasses / contacts prescription matches the current state of your eyes

we arent a bureaucratic socialist nightmare country that unsuccessful tries at every corner to save people from themselves. (yet)

fuck off statist.

that's FEDERALIST little hoss

No, you're a country notorious for HOW DO I MANUAL posts, shitty driving, no bends on your roads, and an inability to park.

See also:
> WAAAH I NEVER LEARNED TO PARALLEL PARK AND ONLY NEED TO ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR SO DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO EVER

You're the laughing stock of the automotive world.

>No, you're a country notorious for HOW DO I MANUAL posts, shitty driving, no bends on your roads, and an inability to park.
cool memes dude.

>USA
>Everyone has to take a driving class, re-test behind the wheel every 3 years, basic course on how cars work, defensive driving course. Jail time for being on the phone while driving.

And yet, the constant flood of 'how do I into manual' threads. And your reputation for not being able to park...