Is the mini cooper any good?

is the mini cooper any good?
im poor and want a fun DD I can tune and become race car
hatchback civics are rare and performance ones are doubly so
and I don't really know how the MX6 GTcompares to anything as nobody ever talks about it
can anyone tell me about the mini cooper?

Which one?

Friend had one, tranny went out on him at around 60k mile mark. They're tiny as fuck (compared to most other cars here in burgerland) and not all that quick or sporty.

the one available to poor fags IE early 2000s

And the crumple zone is your knees

>and I don't really know how the MX6 GTcompares to anything as nobody ever talks about it

Veeky Forums talks plenty about it, we just call it the Ford Probe GT

buy a golf 1.8t or vr6

The japanese import mini coopers and race them.So if it's good enough to be imported and bought in favor of civic type rs and all the other amazing shit they have, it must be pretty decent.

Japanese have a hard-on for anything British and/or German though

I have a soft spot for them. But they have a small engine bay. and it has the transmission, drive line, and turbo plumbing stuffed into it. I think I'll just admire from afar

Get an E46 for the same amount of money

Wow what world do you live in where an E46 is that cheap

that's just human nature

I just bought one for 3k in the US

in very good, but not excellent condition. perfect engine and drive line, nice interior, okay exterior considering a scratch or a warped trim piece here and there. new tires and brakes, rear struts shot

there are tons of good ones for cheap, you just have to watch like a hawk and literally contact the seller within 8-12 hours of listing

>poor
>mini
I like them, but don't do it.

>Is the mini Cooper any fun? I'm poor and...

Kek stopped reading right there

Guys....

If you're poor, don't buy a Mini. Parts aren't cheap, the engine bay is hell even on non-S NA models, and they're fragile.

They can be fun to drive. A MINI sticks like glue with the right tires, just does some weird things at the limit. The NA engine is responsive, but I cannot speak for the supercharged or turbocharged engines.

I have had endless problems with mine, a 2006 Coupe. Even had a plug rip out at one point. I paid too much, and I would not recommend one to anyone on a budget.

buy a saturn and enjoy cheap american autocross.

>buying a saturn
>ever

I don't think so

If your poor, you're going to have a bad time.

Minis are BMWs, incase you didn't know. Aftermarket parts and OEM parts can murder your wallet. However, they're very fun cars and you can make a lot of people made with them, if you have the right set up. The owners community is awesome too. I've owned had a mini for almost 4 years and enjoyed it the entire time.

They're shit cars. R53s are unreliable. They ride like shit. Loud inside.

I'll bet you the mini is about 2/3rds the weight of a non XL/EXT tahoe/yukon.
PIGFAT
I
G
F
A
T

Mini = Pigfat

>we're going to reach a point where heavy cars handling like ass with heaps of electronic assistance is the norm

They are the norm, all this electronic nanny software to keep people from sending 2 tons of steel and lard off a cliff is standard. Hell, ESC is so advanced I can't even chrip the tires on my friends mustang without playing Bop-it on all the fucking buttons.

Not OP, but does anyone have any experience with the old Austin Mini Coopers?

my parents owned a 2001 rover mini ages ago

it was an amazing car, and extremely reliable.

10/10 would recommend

they don't have power steering so at low speeds it takes a little bit of effort to get it going

No, really. The shitty BMW one, which ISN'T any good due to being a pigfat FWD BMW, or the old one, which is a tiny deathtrap?

The tiny deathtrap is fun if you consider it was designed in the 1960s.

Yeah, see, that's not a Mini. That's a fucking BMW. They're taller than my Focus, and not 'mini' at all. They should be called a Maxi, because they're a girl car.

Sister worked at a BMW/Mini dealer for a while, and now advises anyone who asks to never ever buy a BMW Mini.

From what she's told me, the place where she worked pretty much had a constant trickle of pissed off rich fucks coming through because their Minis had shit the bed in one way or another. The cars are "more money than sense" status.

BMW managed to bless the damn things with their premium pricing and parts cost, but preserved that Legendary British Reliability.

>bmw built by the brits
What could possibly go wrong?