Are '90-'95 4runner's good for a 4wd suv? They are fairly cheap...

Are '90-'95 4runner's good for a 4wd suv? They are fairly cheap, but my main concern is that about 60% of the ones I see on craigslist have blown head gaskets with the v6. And they have ifs so are they capable?

2nd gens don't have the longevity of 3rd gens

Pitting and rust on the frame will have killed it by now.

Head gasket issue is easily fixed with headers. He v6 is really stout.
The IFS is a great set up. Unless you want to rock crawl. In which case you want an older 4runner with a solid front axle

>Head gasket issue is easily fixed with headers
What?
how do headers stop a head gasket from failing?

Only in salt country.

I'm wondering the same.

The factory manifolds hold a ton of heat in the heads causing uneven hearing and warping.
Headers get rid of that heat and don't hold it

i have a 1987 with 356000 kms on it and it still running strong enough to haul a small boat or 4x4 thru anything ive thrown at it

it is the 22re 4cyl motor tho. i bought a v6 with a blown headgasket and i did the job with a friend. it ran well for about a year and blew again but i never machined the block so maybe that was it. anyways dont buy a v6 get a 4 cyl

>I'm a dumbass so don't buy the v6
Stfu

Had a '95 as my first vehicle. It's a tank with an underpowered engine. Best gas mileage was around 14mpg. I wouldn't fuck with a blown head gasket, but nowadays it's going to be difficult to find one that's well-maintained. Service life of mine was cut short when I was hit by an 18 wheeler at 40mph.

the v6 is hardly any faster at all and burns through tonnes more gas . toyota was new to the v6 game and that was the first of the vz engine line and was horrible engineering.
the r engines are ancient and have been improved upon so many times this isn even a fair argument

The petrol ones constantly blow head gaskets,

the diesels are bulletproof glorious nippon steel

I was going to get one, but then I bought a v6 r50 pathy instead.

much more reliable

Why would you post a picture of a scrap yard?

yota tax is huge for land cruisers that aren't the pigfat american Land Crushers.

as a 4runner owner ill chip in that id go with a pathfinder in hindsight

much more power in the v6 model and fairly relaible

also most came with a LSD rear diff stock

>cheaper
>more reliable
>better offroad
inb4 Denial train

>more reliable
Is that why you're running 30" tires and scared you'll break a toothpick?

I've done plenty of offroading on the worst axles that came in Jeeps. I don't want to lift because money and it always opens a bag of worms.

I own a 93 surf ( live in new zealand) its got the 3.0L Deisel (1kz) and it goes realy good. 2inch suspention lift and it fits 33x12.5 wranglers under it easy as. Goes well off road havnt broken anything. IFS is the way to go unless its going to be used 100% off road.

>cheaper
Cheaper implies its a bad vehicle
>more reliable
Not one bit. Those engines are terrible an poorly designed
>better offroad
Nope. Unibody is shit.

>arb bull bar
Best choice.

noice

go 3rd gen