Why does Veeky Forums hate Audi so much?

I recently test drove about 20+ different new (2016 model year) cars...Ranging from Mustang, Camaro, Miata, Focus ST, BMW 340i, Mercedes C450, Subaru WRX STI, and many others.

I leased an Audi S3 for $1000 down, at $495 a month. Brand new, pretty much loaded with an MSRP of $50,500.

And out of everything I drove I find it to be a spectacular vehicle, an incredible daily driver and weekend racer.

I don't understand why everyone hates on Audi so much? What is it you guys specifically don't like?

Here's what I've experienced with me S3 and I'll compare it to my second and third choices which were the BMW 340i and C450:

1. Much less expensive
2. Much better grip. I find the new Haldex Quattro system to be super responsive and I don't find any of the complaints I've read about the older versions to be valid on their latest iteration.
3. Light. Much lighter and more nimble than the 340i or the C450.
4. Faster. Fuck is this thing fast. It is definitely faster than the 4.7 seconds Audi quotes 0-60. I'm doing 4.6 right now and the engine hasn't even finished breaking in yet.
5. Exceptional infotainment and stereo system. I have the Audi Concert System no the B&O, and it is phenomenal.
6. Great interior build quality with excellent seats. I really like Audi's minimalist design aesthetic in comparison to the C450 which I feel is overdone, and the 340i which is too spartan.
7. Looks. I think the Audi looks better. The BMW crowd is full of fratboy-Chads and douchebags. The Mercedes crowd is too stuffy. Audi sits in a good middle niche...More 'James Bond' than the other too.
8. Daily Driver vs Weekend Racer. This car is amazing when you just want to be comfortable. You set it to 'Comfort' and the magnetic ride and everything just adjusts. When you set it to 'Sport' it wakes up the whole vehicle and it goes like a bat out of hell.

I'm seriously won over by Audi now that I've owned the car for a few months.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2xwecTp91-o
mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-C/model-C450W4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Audi sits in a good middle niche...More 'James Bond' than the other too.
whew
Comparing the weights between an S3 and a C class or 3 series is wrong in the first place as they are different class vehicles
And the RS3/S3 is proven to be very bland when compared to the 135i/235i

I'm doing 4.6 0-60 and the engine isn't even broken in yet... that's when I stop reading

>I'm doing 4.6 right now and the engine hasn't even finished breaking in yet.

To fully enjoy your fabulous car please drive off a cliff with it

>very bland

I've heard that BMW has been throwing A LOT of money around these last three years to cover up the fact that their vehicle are now by and large: heavy, dull, and underperforming.

One popular review rated the new Camaro SS as a better driving car than the M3.

Now I'll say this...I set out to buy a 340i. I had no intention of getting an Audi, and this is the first one I've owned...And it SHITS all over the BMW regarding performance and driving dynamics.

And I don't understand where people say the Haldex is an 80/20 torque split...It can send 100% torque to the rear wheels. I've felt it do this on countless occasions when I was driving the car hard.

And as far as the looks go, I know it's totally subjective but don't you think Audi has a cleaner classier design than both MB and BMW?

Why? Many reviewers have said the same thing...

You can also have Audi tune/chip the car to put out 320HP and it's even faster.

I know most of the fagg/o/ts here have fallen for all the BMW and Miata marketing, but I'm starting to think what those two brands are spewing is almost entirely bullshit.

This place needs some class and needs to stop pushing so many fucking Chad-mobiles, and Fedora-Lord vaping meme cars.

I don't hate them, it's probably less cancerous than getting the Mercedes C450 """""""AMG"""""" (even those it isn't one, now Merc just whores out the name) or a BMW 3 series which are ergonomically still pretty crappy.

I think that whole class of vehicles are pretty shitty now though. I'd probably have gone with the BMW because it would be cheaper (they have /way/ too many sitting on lots now and are giving them away) for the same thing if not a bit more options for the money. Since you leased I bet you'd have been able to get into the BMW a bit cheaper on the lease deal also, maybe significantly less depending on what's going on now. They were figuring 80% residuals for a while.

But the Audi is probably the best car out of what you listed.

Is it reliable?

Shitty haldex in the smaller vehicles
Shitty overhung engines in the not small vehicles
Shitty steering feel

>very bland
That describes Audi very well. My friend loves them and has owned a bunch, and we always given him shit about how boring they are. When ever he starts talking about it we making snoring noises.

We went with him to the Audi Forum in Neckarsulm and the joke was that the most interesting thing in the whole place was the cappuccinos where they made the little audi rings with the sugar.

Watch this review and see what I mean as "more bland"
youtube.com/watch?v=2xwecTp91-o
Again, the 340i is a different class vehicle, a direct competitor to the 340 is the S4 and the direct competitor to the S3/RS3 is the M235i/M2 or the m135i hatch, you should have test driven those.
If anything, BMW interiors are the best in terms of ergonomics in class.

Audi is the master race only poor people who cant afford a newish one will deny this

lelwat
The C63 is a proper AMG, you're thinking of the CLA45.

>leasing
faggot.

The S3 is just a sedan Golf R for 10k extra dollars.
Of course the S3 is going to be less expensive and lighter than the 3 and C class. It competes with the fucking 2-series and the CLA.

>launching the car before the engine is done breaking in
kill yourself.

You know I was SHOCKED at how 'cunty' BMW was to deal with. I worked very hard to buy one of their 340i's because exactly as you said: they have a shitload of unsold inventory...They wouldn't budge. In fact they were a good $75-125 MORE per month than the Audi. They were also complete pricks to deal with. Mini Cooper acted the same way.

The 2016 S3 has a mid-cycle update coming out in 2017 that basically adds a couple of horsepower and a slightly revised grill which is part of why I got such a good deal. BUT, the buying experience and customer service at Audi blew BMW out of the water regardless of the car I was looking at.

If anyone is curious I would rate BMW at the very bottom of every dealer I went to, including all the major American and Japanese car dealers. The best experiences I had were from very best to very good:

1. Mercedes
2. Jaguar / Land Rover
3. Audi
4. Lexus
5. Infiniti

You don't think Audi's look classy?

Have you seen them up close? I really really like the S7 in their Florett Silver.

...As for all of the various car colors Audi's Florett Silver is amazing up close. The only thing better was a Mercedes E-Class AMG in their matte silver Designo line paint, and the AMG GT with the $10,000 Solar Yellow paint job they had on the show room floor.

>The C63 is a proper AMG, you're thinking of the CLA45.
They make a C450 """AMG"""" now. It's part of their marketing bullshit.

mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-C/model-C450W4

It's got a v6 built on the regular line kek

That's absolutely unreal. I leased my gf a 3 series for 290 per month recently. For 7 grand she can drive a new BMW for 2 years maintenance paid for, it was too good to pass up.

Yeah those mid model facelifts are bullshit and a good time to grab a car unless the new one has something dramatically different mechanically. I want to get a Range Rover Sport SVR and have been waiting for the 2017 announcement because I want to see if it has a different engine or something (there are conflicting reports on the rumor sites) but otherwise will try to negotiate on a 2016 or pickup one with a few thousand miles on it.

I agree with the first two on your list experience wise, I've found Mercedes to be exceptional and Land Rover also to be great but maybe a tick behind Mercedes. I haven't owned the other three to have an opinion.

>MSRP of $50,500
You paid 50k for a Golf.

I did test drive the M235i. I enjoyed it. I didn't quite care for the very base-model feeling interior or any of the electronics. I think Audi kicks the shit out of it on those fronts. I do enjoy the M235i driving characteristics, but fuck me is that back seat useless.

I'm a big dude and if I move up the seats in my S3 even two inches, two large people can fit comfortably in my back seat.

I'll check out the review. The S3 IS hard to compare to both BMW and Mercedes. If they had 4-door sub-compacts it would be a better comparison.

Hmm...You could be right about ergonomics. I didn't really factor that into my choice too much. I felt the interior design of the Audi was superior to the BMW, but again that's subjective as all hell.

NOW...The driving position you can achieve in the S3 is awesome. The steering wheel telescopes to a great degree and you can set up the seat and steering wheel for a good proper racing position. I like this a lot.

They do. I mean it's not a bad looking car, it isn't offensive that's for sure. It's just a bit boring. That's okay, I drive a boring car as a daily driver.

also...
>AMG GT with the $10,000 Solar Yellow paint job they had on the show room floor.
>solarbeam yellow
>classy

Agreed. I've gotten pretty positive responses from the ladies with the car. I bought it in black, which is color the vaginal-jew likes the best.

I want to drive new vehicles. And I don't want to waste my time turning a wrench.

Too many men piss away their lives fucking around with cars and never actually getting out there and driving them. Better to spend that time advancing your career so you can afford better and better vehicles.

>Launching the car

Is it really that bad to launch the car without the engine being broken in? Don't they break the engine in at the factory these days anyways?

>BMW interiors are the best in terms of ergonomics in class.
That stupid shifter on the stalk, backwards. Al those beeps and dongs - constantly. It's not driving position ergonomics that suck, it's everything else. It's just a mess of a car to get into. Stupid unintuitive layout compared to Audi. Mercedes is pretty bad now too, especially with their meme-tier infotainment system

i see 2013 audis broken down on the side of the road, getting passed by hondas built in the 80s

What type of 3 series? The 340i fully loades is like $60k. I'm not saying it's worth it, but that's what they sticker at.

Be careful of the whole free maintenance thing...You can find a certified non-dealer repair facility, and when you do, you'll find out as I did that it's really not that expensive for the maintenance. Still 'free' maintenance isn't a bad thing either.

Yeah the mid-cycle updates are an awesome time to snap up a new car. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that as I buy new cars in the future.

I don't hate the C450...Yeah it's kind of marketing bullshit, but if you want a good sporty car and don't want to spend AMG money, I do sort of get it.

I got $6500 off sticker. So I paid $2000 more than a Golf R and I look a fuckton better driving the Audi.

I felt like the Golf R was severely overpriced and overrated. It was on the list of cars I test drove. If I were to get a hot hatch I would wait until the 2017 Focus RS is out and the newness has worn off a bit and snap one up.

Poorly worded....The Solarbeam Yellow isn't classy, but it was an amazing paintjob. It was on par with some of the ridiculous candied paint jobs I've seen on show cars.

It had a lot of "depth" if that makes any sense.

Bullshit.

Audi's fixed their reliability years ago. Audi's have higher rated reliability now than even BMW.

Not that I really care...I leased and have free roadside assistance and a courtesy vehicle if shit goes wrong.

320i. She just drives to work, gym, yoga and the grocery store in it, so didn't make sense to get anything fancier.

Great car at a good price. I don't blame you. If I didn't want to drive all fast and furious I would seriously consider getting that or an A4 / base C-Class etc.

Yeah, it's a 5 stage paint or something. It's very dynamic looking.

You look inside that GT S? That fucking layout is horrible. Terrible visibility, the shifter you have to like jam your arm back to reach it is so far back because of their shit-tier media system controls, buttons everywhere and an ipad afterthought looking display on the dash. Rides like shit too.

because it's always "hurr durr muh German engineering" when these things are fucking expensive and are always in the shop

I did. I couldn't believe it, but they even offered to let me drive the thing.

I totally get that Mercedes are a luxury 'flagship' but I cannot stand their interiors or the infotainment systems.

and yes!

>buttons everywhere

It was totally out of control.

If I could afford an awesome sports car I don't think I would ever buy the AMG GT S...I'd get a Cayman GT4 or the Alfa Romeo 4C....maybe an FType R.

My S3 is about $50 more expensive per month than a well equipped Camaro 2SS on lease. That's like the cost of a pizza dinner for 2-3 people.

It was worth it IMHO.

Just because you finance doesn't mean you're wrenching or wasting time fucking around with cars. You're obviously not an enthusiast so why are you here? Should've just bought a camry.

looks like shit

I'm a huge car enthusiast. I've owned a ton of amazing cars.

But instead of spending 10 hours a week doing low-value work on my 'Le meme Drift Miata, I spend that 10 hours a week on my (career related) education and investments. I've moved up the career ladder significantly as a result.

And now I can afford amazing cars. The S3 is only my DD. I'm hoping to get a 4C next year which I'll probably finance and keep long term.

My way is better. But then again I've noticed white guys have trouble with things like logic and basic finance. It must be my asian upbringing and superior genetics.

It's amazing the money people spend on junk too. I work with a bunch of working class types and they'll drop serious money into their shitboxes. Just a guy today spent nearly 3,000 on these Weld wheels and new tires for his truck that can't be both 800 bucks.

Because every non-Quattro Audi I have driven feels like a Volkswagen with an Audi badge on it.
It is literally the same. There are few differences with the way the A4 Avant feels to the Seat Leon X-Perience.

It's on the same tier as BMW for me.

>Asshole drivers and fucking expensive to fix.

BMW has the most asshole drivers because BMW is "luxury" for poorfags.

Yep. I totally get that if you lived in the 80's and 90's wanting to fix the factory shittyness that were coming from the American car companies.

But now it doesn't make sense. At. Fucking. All.

Sell that shitbox and stop burning money trying to make it great.

...For example my idiot friend (he's Chinese) bought a BRZ and has dumped literally $20k CASH into the fucking thing trying to make it awesome....He fucking damn near cried when he only just barely beat my S3. And the thing is it still looks like he's driving a $20k car fit for a 16 year old.

If I only had 'shitbox' money I would get a Mustang Ecoboost or the new Camaro with the V6. You don't need to do a fucking thing to either of them and they are still fast as fuck.

You still don't get it. You could've financed a barely used cayman or 911 or chevy ss or corvette or is350 or cts-v. All of those are correct wheel drive too. Financing =/= wasting time wrenching. You're just trolling though.

Agreed. I like the exterior looks of BMW, but Jesus they have the worst group of owners of any car brand.

The dealerships are full of the same dickbags too. Some idiot salesman actually said to my face: "The 340i is a very exclusive BMW that we usually only sell to our best clients. Have you ever owned a BMW before?"

I laughed in his face and told him it's a 3 series, not a LaFerrari and then told him I'm going to need to see another salesperson or work with the sales manager directly.

Fuck that guy.

>"The 340i is a very exclusive BMW that we usually only sell to our best clients. Have you ever owned a BMW before?"

that shit happened to me at a honda dealer. Had a great giggle

Sure. I could have financed and paid another $200-300 per month. And then what? Sell it for another loss in 3-4 years? And during that time I need to baby the fucking car and take care of every little thing that comes up?

No buddy, YOU still don't get it.

I will drive this S3 for the next 36 months like I fucking stole it. And when it's beat to fuck (internally), I'll just get another one. I'll do the bare minimum, factory recommended maintenance and then have it detailed before I turn it in.

Leasing is a much MUCH better way to buy a luxury car and not waste your time or money.

The only cars I would buy are total tanks that I plan on keeping for 10 years. Literally maybe Toyotas or Ford trucks.

tldr: Financing cars is a huge way to spend more money than you need to and always leads to expensive and/or time-consuming repairs down the road.

I'm a mechanic and modern cars are overpriced for what you get, unreliable and overcomplicated. The German luxury brands just took that concept and tripled it. I fucking hate working on anything BMW or Audi and usually pass the jobs onto the newer guys who have less seniority. The owners are usually cunty and make a billion unrealistic demands as well, or spend 15 minutes arguing about the repair costs. The best customers always own American cars.

lol. Yeah I literally had a good loud laugh right in that retard's stupid Persian face.

No. If you're so wealthy and your made-up investments are doing so well you can put 10k down on a 40k car and pay the same amount monthly.

I don't know...Maybe. I like all the extra shit you get in modern cars now though...I love the sensor system in my Audi that bitches when I get too close to a curb. I like reverse-camera systems, and 10+ speaker stock sound systems and seats that are 14-way adjustable.

...I do agree though German car owners are often smug dickbags.

>non dealer's garage gets shit customers

no shit

LOL. So you're investment advice is for me to put 10k into a rapidly depreciating asset? ...an asset that loses 20-25% of it's value after you drive it off the lot?

I have a much MUCH better idea: put $1000 down and put $5000 into a no-load index fund. And then spend another $4000 taking some college classes or going to a seminar or some sort of certification course.

I always try and use local businesses. I do feel bad for them though...They have to deal with a lot of sheisty cunts who should sell their fancy cars and get something more in line with their incomes. Like a Kia Soul

I sell cars. This guy gets it. Why the fuck Would he want to put 10,000 down to get the car for the same amount monthly on a purchase? In three years he will get a brand new one. You obviously don't understand the concept. Just cause he's wealthy doesn't mean he wants to spend more on a car. Are you retarded?

They get a bad rep because of the high maintenance, and depreciation is through the roof.
Great cars if you're leasing though. They handle phenomenally and Quattro is unstoppable.

No. My investment advice is to not pay 18k plus down payment for the life of the lease for a shitty Golf. Pay 10k up front and have a better car.

>Quattro is unstoppable.
There is no Quattro.

Its a marketing term.

its several systems, from terrible to very good.

Great advice. And I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm wealthy, but at this point semi well-off...I'm very much on track to being very wealthy. I have a lot of investments for someone my age.

if any of you are interested in being financially well off my advice is this:

1. Stop wasting your free time on stupid hobbies. Guys piss away their best years fucking with cars, watching sports, video games, or woodworking/metalworking stuff. In the time it took you to build that table and the fancy entertainment center for all your retro-video game consoles you could have gotten an MBA and a promotion.
2. Start investing part time.
3. Come up with a career trajectory and get education to get yourself there.
4. Minimize your monthly expenses and put that savings into your investments.

This is why I lease. Lower monthly cost, lower up front expense, and much less time involved in vehicle ownership. Sure, you could get super Jewish about cars and buy a $5k used Japanese car and do all your own maintenance, but in my opinion that is a shitty way to live and it sets the wrong mindset....

You should have an abundance mindset regarding wealth accumulation.

The new Haldex Quattro systems are more efficient than the Torsen systems and they can put 100% of the torque to the rear wheels.

Modern Haldex =/= shit. That is meme-tier bullshit.

All of the modern Quattro systems are fucking amazing and highly responsive. I think the people that say otherwise haven't driven them.

I will say this: BMW's marketing department and their bribes to the automobile media are sure working. They have this aspect of their business down to a science.

>1. Stop wasting your free time on stupid hobbies. Guys piss away their best years fucking with cars, watching sports, video games, or woodworking/metalworking stuff. In the time it took you to build that table and the fancy entertainment center for all your retro-video game consoles you could have gotten an MBA and a promotion.
I partially agree with this, but, if all you do is work and don't do the things you love then life will be pretty miserable. I think it is about finding a balance.

>This is why I lease. Lower monthly cost, lower up front expense, and much less time involved in vehicle ownership.
Leasing is also a fixed cost, so it is easier to budget for. You know what you'll spend. For business owners there are some tax advantages also.

I agree with your point. Spending some time on the things you love is good. But honestly, most guys spend all their free time on frivolous bullshit. Almost everyone I know is in this category. And they ALL grumble when I roll up in a new car and make excuses about why I should be driving a 10 year old American muscle car with all sorts of 'quirks' (aka problems) just like them.

>stop pushing so many fucking Chad-mobiles
Funny enough, Audi is currently in the process of usurping the throne of King Chad-mobile in Sweden.

Lol, BMWs cost more than Audis, if BMWs are poorfag mobiles what are audis then? lmao

Upmarket VWs.

How is it overpriced and overrated?

You can justify your purchase without shitting in something else.

t. Golf R owner

>non-Quattro Audi
does not compute

He probably meant haldex instead of torsen awd.