Getting a car painted

Have you ever gotten your car painted Veeky Forums?

How much should a high quality paint job cost in the US?

I have a 2000 trans am and it's black paint is fading bad in some spots. I'd like to have it repainted black.

Is it impossible to get something done nice for under $2,000?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UGEmPMBV3ng
youtube.com/watch?v=NBDyor3_BNU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>black paint is fading bad in some spots
post a pic faggot

I'm at work I can't take a pic right now, but the paint is fading in a few different spots pretty bad.

Depends on who you know. I can get a quality paint job for about 1500
I have a customer with a Jag who paid like 6k and it doesn't look too great.

depends on the painter, the paint, and how well the prep is done. it's a crapshoot. gotta get recs, shop around, see their work.

you can always prep it yourself, trailer it there, have them spray the clear heavy, and wet sand it yourself.

a 500 dollar job can look good that way. but expect to pay 2k plus for a decent one if you don't prep it yourself.

>Is it impossible to get something done nice for under $2,000?
Yes
For 2 grand you could buy the equipment (second hand) to do the job you're self.
With enough time and effort you could rattle can the whole car and get a good finish.

I would:
A) Polish the paintwork because you might not need a respray
B) consider if the paint money + the money you could sell your car for could buy you a better car (i.e same model with better paint???)

getting mine painted soon my dad said it'd be around 3k and we will take engine out and strip out car, put it on trailer and get it painted, nothing really wrong with my paint could be fixed in some places but I still want to do it anyway

oh 3k AUD

around 3500-4000 for outside and same color only

around 4500 -6000 for other color

What do you mean by "high quality". If you mean factory quality, then $2000 might cover it.

But for wet sanded no orange peel "show" quality paint job you're looking at over $5k on the lower end.

Remember that since its not an insurance job, many bodyshops will offer you a "deal" to do it "off the books".
This means they will work on it when their wife is on her period and they don't want to get home too early.

Your other option is MAACO.
I'd rather get Jose from craigslist to do it than fucking MAACO

by high quality I just mean something close or equal to factory. A paint job that will last 5-10 years and still hold up. Not a show car paint job just something quality.

I heard MAACO fades in 6 months, but i did hear that their top package is good.

prep it yourself, trailer it to an actual shop, have them add a thick clear coat, take it home and wet sand and polish.

youll have a 5k paintjob for the cost of just the spray and paint

thats the cheapest best way to do it.

and when i say prep i mean remove trim, windows, w/e, sanded, masked off, ready to go for a tack and spray no extra labor by them.

if the surface is clean, everything is masked well, and the dude shooting the paint isn't a dunce, it cant turn out bad.

>I heard MAACO fades in 6 months, but i did hear that their top package is good.

The only way modern paint fades is if its bottom of the barrel 1k single stage paint, and maybe if its red in color.

I doubt they are going to use an alkyd like Rustoleum because it takes too long to dry.

If they're using 1k paint its probably Acrylic, because it dries instantly. It eventually fades, but not in 6 months. Acrylic also polishes up very easy, even by hand.
So if it fades, just polish it back up with some compound.

Ideally, you'd want a two stage paint job.
Which means the color or basecoat, and the clear lacquer on top.

This is probably your best bet if you want decent for low cost. Do the prep yourself if you can.

Most of the cost of a paint job is the man hours spent prepping. The next is the actual paint.

Alright lads. Having never done any painting or prep work how hard would it be to
> remove trim, windows, w/e, sanded, masked off

without fucking it up like a retard

you'll have your work cut out for you. Sanding is a bitch to do

You have days of sanding by hand and filling dents ahead of you. Check with the paintshop about trim. They might advise you to go to paint without removing any trim except badging.
So if its your only car, you can still drive it while doing the prep wirk on the body.

Just vinyl wrap it fagit

>2100
>ding removal
>gold pearl white
>orange peel everywhere ill have to cut and buff out in a few weeks when the paint completely hardens

Orange peel is inevitable at this price point

>thinking you can sand the car down and have it prepped fur paint at a shop
>thinking you can get the body straight enough to paint with no extra labor from the painters
bruh getting a car straight is an insane amount of work with a pretty huge learning curve, you're gonna think that panel is straight but once there's paint and clear on it you're gonna realize the mistake you've made.

Nice try body guy, but if its straight you can see it before you sand.

>implying only 100% original sheetmetal condition cars get paint jobs

kek

Ok I haven't painted tons of cars or anything.

>fur
fuck off mr cummy

hah :3

It's not that easy. I missed a couple of dents on my first paint job and had to sand and redo it all over.

This. Most of the expense of a paint job is in the prep work.

youtube.com/watch?v=UGEmPMBV3ng

youtube.com/watch?v=NBDyor3_BNU

Or this

Or dip it

I mean, if it's just your shitbox, why dump thousands on a paint job when a couple hundred on a wrap does basically the same thing?

>Is it impossible to get something done nice for under $2,000?

Paint and body worker with 6 years experience here.

$2000 will cover the cost of materials and supplies for a shop to do a quality paint job on your car.

It depends what kind of job you want done. Removing all trim and body panels, stripping original paint and having a perfect finish will end up costing you around 8,000-12,000 USD.

Doing a quick splash job will be around $5,000-$6,000 USD.

Doing a horrible job that will depreciate your vehicle values will cost under that amount.

Being that it's a 2000 Trans Am, you're probably best off restoring the paint to the best of your ability with paint touch ups, polish and wax.

how much would stripping the sound deadening alone and paint job be

Like I said, it depends on what kind of paint job you want done.

Cost depends on:

>whether you want to change colors, if you want to do door jams, trunk, engine bay, etc
>if you're painting over the previous coat or stripping down to bare metal, will it need a primer coat
>if you're painting with all the body panels in place
>what body work or additional prep needs to be done
>if it's a base/clear or single stage enamel
>quality of paint and products used, oil or water base paint
>labor and shop costs in your country / area
>overall finish you want to achieve

As a rule of thumb, a basic paint job that's good and done with minimal prep work will cost around $6,000. You can lower this cost by doing prep work yourself if a shop is willing to take a partially finished cars.

Sound deadening usually isn't something people want removed. That would probably include gutting out most of your interior. I'd leave it in and upgrade to a louder exhaust system if you want to hear the rumble.

I mean entire car repaint interior, engine bay like if we remove engine and remove interior etc only thing I'm not keen on removing is sound deadening

Ive always wanted a car with a body made of bronze.
It would get a nice patina on it and last forever with no rust.

Pigeons would come and shit all over it.

worth it

>Ive always wanted a car with a body made of bronze.

Bronze has Low structural strength.

Your bronze skin will need anti-electrolysis fasteners. It will also need special grounding every ten to 12 inches to prevent localized eddy currents that result in electrolysis damage.

May break apart instead of deforming to absorb high speed impact energy.

Needs more maintenance than painted steel to look good.

The girl in the picture will come to sit on your bronze hood. Her shoes will scratch your bronze.

Thin bronze flanges get metal fatigue whereas the steel alloy doesn't. You will need special engineering approaches for your bronze car skin over the steel frame.

Reparing damaged bronze skill will always be a FULL CUSTOM body shop experience because there are no bronze skins sold by manufacturers or available at the junkyard. Repairs require tricky lapping followed by pounding out and then sanding to make level. Really sucky expensive because this is so close to being a blacksmith making human armor.

=.-.=.-.=

user waves up and finds drugheads have stripped his car skin overnight for salvage metal value.

Use marine paint
>will last for a decade easily
>apply with paint roller
>sand back imperfections
>apply more
>sand back imperfections again
>Repeat
>only costs $50-$100 in materials all up

Pic related, car repainted with Marine paint by hand.