Why do people choose to ignore car maintenance then start panicking when something costly and serious begins to break?

Why do people choose to ignore car maintenance then start panicking when something costly and serious begins to break?

Do people not realize that a routine inspection when you get an oil/filter change goes a long way? It's incredible to me how some people never find out what's wrong with their car until they hear a noise or it doesn't start.

I hope nobody on Veeky Forums does this.

>Do people not realize

They usually don't.

Also, one of the many benefits to owning a German "luxury" car. $200-$300 inspection and service every oil and filter change. I get to find out what problems I have and fix them before they turn into major issues. I take pride in paying for upkeep of my car so that it runs like a derby horse everyday.

>$200-$300 inspection

It'd be $700 for i1 and $900 for i2 for my BMW. If I were going to a BMW shop.
Probably $300 for an oil change.

I go to a Bosch Mercedes-Benz service center and pay around $300 for oil/filter change and inspection with some other routine maintenance. I haven't been to the real Mercedes-Benz center in my city since they quoted me $960 to fix the coolant leak.

i do that to my own car for free.

i can only image what car you drive and how much stuff you miss

There are a plethora of things that you absolutely cannot tell before something happens. Whether it's a check engine light or an odd noise.

Sensors are the biggest asshole in this department. Especially when you buy a used vehicle and the previous driver never gave you the maintenance records.

ITT: cucks who can't work on their own car
>inb4 hurrrr u is 2 poor 4 mechanic

Nah. I ain't wrenching on the S62. I will on the M50, though.

im too poor to work on the car
i cant afford all those tools and books and have nobody to teach me, no i dont have a dad or friends who are into cars

>no i dont have a dad or friends who are into cars

is that supposed to be a reaction pic?

i miss nothing because im an actual enthusiast. not some memer benchracer like you.

Because they can't manage to handle spending money on things other than fuel.

They bring it upon themselves.

>Not changing your own oil

>tfw I maintained my car and suddenly got hit with $7000 in repair quotes

And?

I'm no expert on foreign cars, but if I had to guess it's just like changing any other cats oil except with metric bolts. Dealership can and will screw you on matinace costs, just do the basic shit (brakes, oil, air filter, coolant) yourself and you'll save hundreds of buck's even with domestic cars

I hate posts like these, they're very obviously made by someone who doesn't make that much. Yeah, people like you or me who drive old shitboxes and make around minimum wage because we're still in uni or fresh out of it would find it worth it, but if you make 200-300k+ a year its not worth you're time to wrench when you make 150-200 an hour. Obviously you could keep at it if its your hobby but most people don't find wrenching fun

>Dealership

The point of those posts, in the first place, was NOT to go to dealerships.

You're right, but I hate people complaining about this shit, if you don't like it do it yourself. That's all I'm saying.
Also 2002 Cadillac Seville w/less than 150,000 miles is no shit box

no one here makes 300k..
and if i made 300k.. I would still change my own oil

changing your oil isn't wrenching you failed normie.

>but most people don't find wrenching fun
stop calling it wrenching you sound autistic.
and if you don't enjoy and/or lack the ability to take care of even the most basic maintenance you shouldn't be on this fucking board.

>Why do people choose to ignore car maintenance then start panicking when something costly and serious begins to break?

Normies see cars like they see their smartphone, their house, their computer.

Do normies do maintenance on their computer or smartphone?

No, they're dumb appliances that let them do normie shit.

When they drop their phone and it breaks, they blame the phone.

They run them into the ground until they stop working, then they get their "friend who knows cars / computers" to look at it, or they buy a new one.

>changing your oil isn't wrenching

I would argue that it depends on the car, some oil changes are pretty elaborate.

Would you call replacing coils/plugs wrenching?

Most modern cars you don't have to do shit other than change the oil on time. And the oil guy sends you a post card.

Even my dentist changes his own oil. He drives a Silverado and is not a car enthusiast. You have literally no excuse not to change it unless you have a disability.

My girlfriend does this and it pisses me off.

Her car smells like oil and has one brake light that doesn't work with the headlights on, car makes funny smells when you put you foot on the gas pedal too long.

So she takes my advice and saves some money to get it fixed...

What is the most important thing to get fixed?

The air-conditioning of all things...

wtf???