A family friend of mine is selling her '96 prelude

A family friend of mine is selling her '96 prelude..
It's only had two owners, both have babied the car. Car's got 160k miles.
Only thing she knows it needs for sure is new struts, but the original owner bought the car lowered from the factory so I'm not sure if thatll mess up anything if I were to DIY the struts.
I've only ever done oil changes and replaced an alternator/timing belt, so I'm not certain on how hard replacing struts would be.

Would this be a good investment to fix up and sell at a later date? Only preludes in my area are in much worse condition or modified, and are priced higher as well. I could probably get the car for around 1700.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_F_engine#F20B
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Get it, that dash alone is worth it.

this
enter the future

>4G prelude
whyyyyy

can it drift? no. it's the wrong honda for that
Can it race? No. It's heavy, it's FWD, and it's the wrong honda for that.
Can it rally? No, it's Honda.

GG OP

That is pretty sexy. Is the prelude a good time to drive? Its got about 30 more HP than my current DD but weighs around 400 pounds more as well

For all intents and purposes I wasn't planning on drifting nor racing nor rallying the car. Just fixing what needs fixed, driving it a bit and reselling to (most likely) a teenage buyer for some profits, but more importantly the ezperience

Fuck off Corey.

because the 5th gen is ass

what trim is it OP? Si? DOHC VTEC?

I owned a 4G Prelude for 8 years (SI-non VTEC)
the best bucket seats from factory I've ever had in a car
the 2.3L engine, despite not being VTEC, has this wonderful wail when in the top 1000RPM
weight balance is 60/40, not bad at all for an FF. can get some nice lift off oversteer
gas milage is horrible 21MPG on a 4 banger
switch the exhaust to stainless if you live in the north
main relay has a tendancy to fail at high milage

Can i make my prelude as good as the JUN one or even better?
Everyone hates Prelude drivers
>do you even want a 50/50 weight distribution on fwd

you can if you swap whatever engine you have to an F20B, they were built for high revs, and is basically a destroked H22A

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_F_engine#F20B

I thought they used an H22 though

only on the DOHC VTEC trim, not all 4th gen trims had the H22a, like said he had the non-vtec Si, which was probably powered by the H23 non Vtec, but the F20B produces more power than an H22A (200 vs 190) and the sleeves are iron as opposed to FRM sleeves which are known to eat piston rings, also the F20B is better for boost even though the deck is open mainly due to the thick iron sleeves

Why not just get an EF-EG-EK Civic and engine swap it?

F22A1 is number 1

why are f20b swaps so insanely cheap? the full deal everything you need swap +ecu +tranny is a fraction of any b series or h22

I think this particular prelude has the 2.2. Shame.
What is lift off oversteer?
It seems like great fun on some curvy roads. Is the main relay an expensive fix?

Unfortunately I don't think its an Si nor VTEC model

Because OP was asking about the sweet deal he was getting on a 4th gen Lude, thats why I brought up the F20B because it's literally a drop-in, also
>F22A1 is number 1
nigga plz

because hardly anyone in the US knows about it, it wasnt sold in North America, doesn't have domestic market parts here(well technically it does because almost anything that fits an F or H will work on it), which means almost no demand, and the stupid rumor that a Honda can't handle because it literally weighs only 70 lbs more than a B series

Sorry my mind wandered off, I was just wondering what the Prelude offered that you couldn't get from the much lighter Civic hatch in an F20B / racecar set up.

If you're planning engine swaps before you buy the car, why not get the car with the lightest curb weight and shortish wheelbase that's smaller? Then again I've never seen a fourth gen Prelude in real life.

>not dropping in Honda's god-tier engine from the Honda Odyssey

>Unfortunately I don't think its an Si nor VTEC model

thats perfect, hopefully they are offering a rock bottom price so you have enough cash leftover for a swap

better interior, its generally a more comfortable car, sure its a bit heavier, but some of them also had 4WS, which is the reason why it dominated a shit ton of sports cars in comparison tests when it was released
>never seen a 4th gen
pic related

a J series? why? talk about a heavy fucking engine

>which is the reason why it dominated a shit ton of sports cars in slalom tests when it was released

fixed

4WS is rare though, and in a hypothetical racecar set up you wouldn't give a shit about comfort.
Is the chassis better or something?
It's weight probably just comes from the slightly more luxury than an late old 80s Civic.

In that shot it looks a bit like an ITR actually.

Lift off oversteer is when you let off the gas in a corner in an FF, causing a weight shift. it will allow for oversteer despite not being RWD.
Main relay is a simple fix, just pop out and replace a little brown box in the footwell on the driver's side. When it fails, the engine won't just fail to start, but might even fail and turn off the car while driving. Replace as soon as you think it's sputtering due to electronics, it might hurt other components as it fades in and out while dying. Pretty sure it killed my fuel pump.

they are rare, especially in N America, they were an option on Si models only and were only available from 92-95 in the 4th gen
again, OP isnt talking about a racecar setup
chassis is basically a better Accord Coupe's, and yes it is good

Lift off oversteer kills speed. Try to counter steer and the back end will hook back up instantly and you will whip back in the other direction. It's not graceful or fun.

> source: owned a prelude

Oh FUCK OFF
ITS NOT AN ACCORD
ITS NOT AN ACCORD!!

Stock it only ever did good in slaloms. Mod for mod lighter cars are superior. If you going to engine swap get a civic. If the prelude has an h22 then just stick with it.

And an MX-6 is not a 626, a Calibra is not a Vectra and an MX-3 is not a 323.

yes, it is a handful when it begins to oversteer. I found it fun if you need a last bit of rotation on turn exit, but it requires attention and behaves very differently depending on fuel level.

desu the 4g prelude is probably the one that diverged the most form the accord chassis to the point where idk if id call it accord

how about the owner can do whatever the fuck he wants with his car? he came asking if it was a gud kar and yes it is and i just gave him a taste of what he can do with it, he already said its the non-VTEC model, so guess what, if he wanted more power he would have to engine swap, FFS pay attention

Sorry bruv, but it kinda is

>the only thing that matters is curb weight

I am paying close attention to the autism in this thread. OP can make whatever stupid decisions he wants to. You are making me glad I sold my prelude with your delusional banter.

Honda threads always get autistic when engine arguments start.

Two cars that are almost exactly the same. One has 4ws and the other is 500 lbs lighter. I had fucking 4ws and it helped BARELY in sweeping corners and parking lots. I know what the fuck I'm talking about user.

>autism
if anyone is being autistic it's you when you keep bringing up getting civics over a Prelude which is not what OP was asking about you fucking sperg

and im glad you sold your lewd as well because you sound like a faggot

nigga you're arguing civic vs prelude

Same engine swap civic is lighter, so yes.

didn't the 3G prelude have optional mechanical 4WS? I head that was weird to drive.

it did, on some of the Si models with the B21A engine

>the only thing that matters is curb weight

and how do you know that OP is trying to build a fucking race car? you don't you fucking mong, he probably wants a comfy touring coupe with a bit of power

>Honda threads always get autistic
ftfy

good post

that's not what I want though and Im considering a prelude

then don't get a prelude

OP here
I appreciate all the responses about how to make it go fast. Unfortunately my budget doesn't extend very much past the cost of the car and some minor repairs.
I was just hoping to take it off a friend's hands so they wouldn't have to deal with selling it on Craigslist. I'd then drive it around a bit, gain some wrenching experience then probably sell it, seeing as it isn't a model with a particularly special engine
From what I'm seeing though, 1,700 would be a decent price for the vehicle? I reckon if all the noticeable problems are fixed I could flip the car for at least 2,500

Why? it seems good though, I don't understand why you're so determined for the Prelude to not be a race car and you keep saying it's bad.

too heavy
FWD

enjoy it while you have it, could probably get more than 2,500 for it though

I never said it's bad, im just stating a fact that its not a racecar

FUCK OFF COREY

Why isn't it a race car

because it isnt geared to be a racecar, unless you get a model with the H22A in it then it barely can be considered a sports car. Then you have the autists who think weight is the only thing that matters, but you know what, its more of a race car than a civic is

>sports car
>fwd
pick one

Geared as in gears or geared as in equpment/loadout

cause there's this 94 prelude with an h22a man are you me?

geared as in gears, i mispoke in my post, i meant that if it didnt have an H22A than it can be barely considered a sports car
>94 Lude w/ an H22A
you in VA?

again, FUCK OFF COREY

The only bad part is its paint, definitely peeling everywhere and the car's been keyed a couple times. Thing is like 12 different shades of silver. I figured that would hurt its resale by a bit

damn, how many people did your friend piss off

>VA
No
It's an H22 swapped 94 prelude.
I suppose it's worthless? Bad gearing. I guess it is a bad car.
I got so excited

no, thats not what I said, I said that if it isn't a model with the H22A and matching trans then it's not really a sports car, I would buy a Lude with an H22A

Fuck me man, why does everything in my life have to be so shit

what the fuck are you on about?

My life, for yours

I think that was all from the first owner. She parks it in her garage ever since she's had it

if lighter weight is all that matters, why did the JUN prelude beat out the s2k and multiple civics?

>her

you're a fucking idiot, buy it
>racking accident
kek

first owner sounds like quite the dick

>telling people to buy bad riced cars with shit """""swaps"""""

how is it a shit swap? how is a front lip and 50 series sidewall tires rice?

>drilled rotors
>assuming the swap is done right
>put the pucci in your bagino

>drilled rotors
didn't see that, ok that's rice
>assuming the swap is done right
well i'd hope the user who posted the ad had enough sense to test drive it
>put the pucci in your bagino
oh you

Get the fuck out of here

What's wrong with drilled rotors?
How can you tell if an engine swap is good?
>test driving cars
No way no luxury here.

drilled rotors compromise the integrity of the rotors, and can cause cracking

You can tell if the engine starts and hits VTEC when its supposed to and shifts like it's supposed to, also inspecting the motor mounts underneath

what do you mean it's a luxury? if you can`'t test drive it don't buy it

M I A M I
I
A
M
I

Preludes are great cars, go for it. Sub 2k is a steal. Just be careful when you start getting to driving fast (after your driving skill improves) every prelude owner I've ever met ended up wrecking it.

>everyone says the prelude has a very long wheel base in every video I see
>check
>its smaller than a civic up to the EF
>smaller wheelbase than most "real" sports cars
I don't understand?

this, the car can be tricky to drive on the edge compared to hot hatches. But when you get gud, damn it's fun for an FF.
also, word of warning: the car's wide wheels for the weight make it hydroplane like a motherfucker unless you have good tire for wet conditions.

people don't like 2+2 cars, "it's not a real sports car"

>the original owner bought the car lowered from the factory

I'm pretty certain that a lowered suspension was never a factory option for any prelude (or any honda even)

it's called "it sags but I had it aligned"

but the 300ZX came in 2+2 and it's a real sports car

3rd gen prelude is best prelude

RWD cars are exempt from many criticisms because dorifto

>top engine has 145hp

that's profiling yo

das riceist!

It's just weird to make comments on how big it is when it's actually on the smaller side of the spectrum. It's so small normies biggest complaint with the 4G was it's size, which is why we got the massive 5G.

das it mane

handling > speed

4G was comfy as fuck, felt like you were touching the road
must have scared people to have so much control and feeling

>

>DRILLED ROTORS

>accidently turnning your shitbox DD into a real sports car
what the fuck JUN el oh el

which engine and transmission?

if its got a H22A and its manual, do it man.

if its a H22A its worth it.

I'm

id buy it. but id only pay 2000. and thats ONLY if the paint is good. Its nothing special and it has issues.

but the h22a and the chassis are good. but, id be hooning in it for shits and giggles.

What issues ? Wow you're so smart. I doubt I can get 1000 dollars off.