Replica or the real deal, Veeky Forums

Replica or the real deal, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

factoryfive.com/whats-new/gemini-motorsports-installs-a-terminator-in-the-type-65-coupe/
factoryfive.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=MrGPniW1iqg
roadstergarage.jp/model/
youtu.be/ZVNs_lxbTB8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they both blow for the price

Replica for a vehicle you want to drive and use.

Real if you're a boomer who wants to trailer a car around to shows and use it as an investment.

replica

you can have guilt-free fun with it and not have boomers yell in your face about risking a classic worth hundreds of thousands of dollars

plus the replicas have more modern engineering for better ride quality

>a classic worth hundreds of thousands of dollars

I'm pretty sure the original AC Cobra is well in the millions.

The replica Cobras are better than the originals.

I can't fucking stand car flippers. Or cars as investment. It just makes people seem more like businessmen than car people.
The effort of making a car into a retirement plan, requires processes like not even using the car.

So fuck all that.

Not a huge vintage guy myself, but my father owns a replica cobra, really nice car would recommend.

replica body with modern parts flat-plane Ford V8 with 4 disk brakes

so basically a FFR.....

What about the replica Cobras Shelby tried to pass off as originals?

Do a replica. Nobody will know it's a fake unless you put a modern engine in the thing or Shelby fan boys look at it.

Honestly though, if you can afford an actually one, buy one. Get a non-competition version with a mid riser, 427 side-oiler. Best value for your money and is a good investment.

How would you tell the difference?

Between a replica and a fake?

A replica and a genuine one.

honestly couldn't tell you. For me, I look at the body, wheels and drivetrain. Those three things usually give it away pretty quickly. Also, the location of which you're seeing it.

replica for everything that doesnt involve selling

Replica because real is too expensive, and there's guilt if you modified it.

Real deal just so I could do rolling burnouts past those sort of guys and piss them off.

real because i could sell it and get 20 replicas7

amidoinitrite?

Replica.
The real things are so valuable you're afraid to take it out on a Sunday cruise.

Plus you can choose all the options you want

>Plus you can choose all the options you want
Pic related.

Interior like suicide wrist red

I hope to own a Cobra replica someday... and I'd rather have a replica, so I won't feel as bad when I mkst likely end up wrecking it (and probably killing myself in the process).

God I love how those type 65 replicas look.... until I see a picture from the back. I've been contemplating getting a type 65 kit for a few years now, maybe it'll happen someday but I'd definitely make some sort of custom tail lights for the thing.

>replica
>use the 5.0L from the gt350
Oi m8 muh weewee

What about MK4 Toyota Supra tail lights mounted vertically?

The GT350 V8 is a 5.2L, not a 5.0L...

Even better: a pushrod 302 with a flat plane crank.

I started to not like this after I was halfway done, but meh. They should be close to the right size.

Yeah, those don't look too bad, turn vertical, swap right tail light to left side and left tail light to right side.. I'd have to do some photoshopping to get a better idea of how it looks IRL but it works in my mind at least.

Or something like Gemini did with their type 65 build, pic related.

It's an improvement over stock lights I guess, probably not what I'd go with if I was gonna put it on my own car.

factoryfive.com/whats-new/gemini-motorsports-installs-a-terminator-in-the-type-65-coupe/

The problem with using the Supra tail lights is there's a bit of a curve to them. The ones in your pic appear to be meant for a trailer or something.

Yeah, I'm not 100% in love with the Supra lights or the lights Gemini used. If I ever actually end up building a type 65 then I'd have to do a lot of research to come up with tail lights I really like.

Of course, with all the options I'd want on the type 65 (upgraded brakes, independent rear suspension, etc) the kit itself would come out to like $30k or more, not including engine and transmission, rear end, paint, etc. I'd do most of the labor myself but I'd at least get a professional paint job for it.... At that point I could just buy a 10yr old M4 for $10k and drop another $10k-$15k into building the engine up and upgrading other parts of the car and still have $20k left over to pay for insurance, registration, maintenance, and other fees for years to come.....

im a huge Lancia Stratos fan but id go for a replica like the Lister Bell STR over the original any day.

besides the grossly inflated value today ($400-800k) the original Lancias are well, Lancias. poor build quality, extremely stripped down and simplified interiors, Italian electronics and a 40 year old Ferarri V6 spells for an uncomfortable time in a car that hauls ass if it runs but you'll be excommunicated for changing anything but the oil.

meanwhile for less than $80k you can have a completely custom spec'd STR built by somewhat competent Englishmen with completely modernized components, better fit and build quality and modern Alfa Romeo or Toyota engines that are much more reliable and easier to maintain and modify outside of Europe. hell you can get the Toyota engine with a factory supercharger and get 350 horsepower out of a car that weighs less than a Mini and looks like a spaceship.

Replica because not only are they affordable but better cars in general

But then you can unironically say
>BUILT NOT BOUGHT

I mean, sure you could but 99% of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis wouldn't really give a shit either way.

A good replica's can cost $50,000 to build.

what about Maserati Coupe' lights?

And some of the cars that they're modeled after can cost upwards of $500k to buy, if you can even find them.

For example, the type 65 coupe as seen in:
only had 6 original vehicles produced, ever. Those original type 65's are valued at $8 million a piece now and they have a very low likelihood of ever being sold by their current owners.. maybe once those owners die off and their spoiled rich kids have an estate sale or something would be your only chance of owning one.

I dunno, they'd have to be the PERFECT size to not look either too big or too small on that rear end.

Pretty sure I fucked up the perspective on them.

won't really work, it'll rock itself to pieces. Ford did some voodoo magic on their 5L to get it to work

>5L
It's 5.2L nigger.

kek

pardon my MS paint skills but pic related is kinda what I'd go for I think

holy shit mspaint sucks but you get the idea

It won't. The reciprocatig mass can just as easily be balanced as on any other flat plat plane crank V8. Valve actuation has nothing to do with internal balance.

If I ever have a stack of money to burn, I'm getting a replica and putting a Jaguar 3.8 in it. The AC that never was.

>M4

hurr... I meant Z4.. day drinking is bad kids

How much would a replica cost? I want one.

These guys make good kit cars. The one in OP is from them as are 4 or 5 other models.

factoryfive.com/

>complete kit
>The only additional things you’ll need are your own engine/transmission/rear end, wheels/tires, and paint
Still cool though. Might look into it when I have the money to put into it.

These kit cars are based off of existing platforms, meaning that if you already have a donor car of the correct platform then you can buy the kit and use all of the relevant parts from your donor car to complete the kit.

Their original business model originally was "If you've got a Mustang and $9900 then you can build a Factory 5". Most of their kits have undergone serious redesigns for better frame, suspension, etc so they're more expensive than that now but that's what their selling point was in the beginning. Their newest kit gets back to their roots though:

youtube.com/watch?v=MrGPniW1iqg

am i a cunt for wanting a kit car like this but having someone else build the whole thing? they seem like cheap alternatives to paying out the ass for a dream car but the amount of work and equipment involved seems above 99% of people's abilities.

The one with brakes

Lots of people do that, it's usually incredibly expensive though.

There are shops that do this exclusively. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't claim it as your own work.

roadstergarage.jp/model/
youtu.be/ZVNs_lxbTB8
>Toyota 2000GT replicas
>based on miatas
This looks too good to be true, can someone that knows japanese please confirm that these things are actually based on miatas?
Either way, I want one so badly

This, no one gives a shit unless you say you did it yourself.

Yep.

>They've got a Willy's replica based on a Suzuki Jimny.
The absolute madmen! I want one.

that's brilliant

>powered by the perpetual spinning of WWII era US GI's in their graves

Replica, especially when it comes to cars like the GT40 that cost MILLIONS of dollars for an original model. You can pick up a solid GT40 replica (that's also better than the original in every way aside from historic value) for about 150k.