en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris_Moore
visionvtol.weebly.com/vision-vtol.html
youtube.com/watch?v=soxxPyaAT1k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why? 3/4 of drivers cant even handle road cars

Wouldn't a flying car be a plane?

You got a point there....

This. Can't trust people with them!

I've been saying this for 20 years. People can't even drive cars on the fucking road and we're only getting dumber every year.

The flying car that goes directly from your house to your destination won't happen in our lifetime.

>be flying to work, normal day
>overcompensating-soccer-mom-3.11 enters
>takes her flying minivan and uses it to block your movement
>she's obviously texting and flying, fucking moron
>try and go around but she suddenly thinks she's in a dogfight and takes evasive action
>clips your nose, sensors go crazy
>flying van goes off into distance, controls become fried
>look in front
>it's WTC 1
>tfw you are now doing 9/11 2.0

because you either need huge lifting surfaces or absurd amounts of energy.

not to mention the FAA is complete dickwads about air space use and licensing.

then you have costs. the smallest most basic private airplanes, like a Cessna 172, cost more then a house. they're really basic bitch airplanes too. that have technology straight out of the 1960s.

the insurance would be horrendous too. imagine the liability coverage needed to cover flying into a skyscrapper or a stadium full of people.

>No brakes
>near 100% crash fatalities
>poor aerodynamics
>more difficult to fly

Survey says never

You know what's interesting though? I remember a couple of towns in Texas that are miniature airport towns. Bigwigs have these little cessnas they keep in the garage of their house, then taxi them down the drive to the private airstrip for the subdivision. They fly to commute every day to places like Houston.

That's about as close to the flying car model as I think we will ever get.

Couldn't find a picture of the one I was thinking of, but it's a similar town in Florida.

unless you want audihuakbars driving into buildings left and right, no.

Maybe ?

I dunno man, we'll soon have autonomous cars that drive themselves, I can see autonomous flying "cars" at some point in the next 50-60 years. We'll NEVER have driver controlled flying cars though, that's for sure.

The biggest technological leap required would be an efficient method of powering these vehicles. Aircraft (both small and large) use a ridiculous amount of fuel/energy per distance traveled compared to most road vehicles. Current battery tech is much too heavy to be used as a power source for flying vehicles, we'd either need batteries with 10x+ the energy density of current batteries or lightweight super capacitors that were incredibly energy dense for electric flying vehicles. There really isn't any other technology on the horizon (that I know of) that would be better than combustion engines or electric motors at powering a flying vehicle so.. yeah, unless those technologies make a giant leap sometime soon it probably won't happen just due to technical limitations.

I live in TX. I know of a few people in my area that have private airstrips and hangars on their own land and they pretty much do exactly what you're talking about. Most small municipal airports supply "courtesy cars" that they can drive around in once they reach their destination.

best post, interestingly the first post

That's dope playa

>Will we ever get the flying car?

Osama bin Laden says YES.

ISIS members say yes, and want these cars to be able to carry at least 500 pounds of additional "cargo".

Islamists say yes.

Drug traffickers say yes. Just dart across the border, drop off the bundles, then dart back across the border to remain legally untouchable by border patrol that cannot cross the international boundary.

Human traffickers say yes.

Illegal immigrants using smugglers say yes.

It would be simple enough in the future to have a remotely operated flying car dart off the roadway into the flying path of a jet that is taking off an airport runway.

If we did you'd need a pilot's license to drive it.

>If we did you'd need a pilot's license to drive it.

The person doesn't need a pilot license. He can simply do a home invasion of someone that has such a car or pilot's license. He fills up the car with RDX, takes your biometric keyed license with your cut off finger or palm (palmprint) and unlocks the plane's takeoff controls, and it now flies into the nuclear plant or oil refinery and crashes with a big explosion.

>live in era of flying cars
>ricers install body kits and fuckhueg spoilers on their flying cars that make them aerodynamically unstable in flight
>ricers all fall out of the sky and die in a twisted heap of carbon fiber and aluminum

The future will be awesome.

>Why? 3/4 of drivers cant even handle road cars

There are no guard rails in the sky. Picture is of a car about to become a "flying car" off a cliff. He was speeding and the turn on the road was oily because I had poured oil on it when I drove by earlier hoping more cars with infidel drivers speed on the cliff turn without a guard rail. Just kidding.

But people are going to sabotage these flying cars. Especially teenagers wanting their inheritance early. Lots of teens want their parents dead and out of the way for easy money, but there's no easy way to kill parents off without the evidence trail crashing and burning up.

>But people are going to sabotage these flying cars. Especially teenagers wanting their inheritance early. Lots of teens want their parents dead and out of the way for easy money, but there's no easy way to kill parents off without the evidence trail crashing and burning up.

I don't think that would be a very common occurrence really. I'm sure it would happen occasionally but I just can't imagine that many more teens going to those lengths for an early inheritance.

>ctrl+f terrafugia phrase not found

youtube.com/watch?v=nnF2yua4KIw

Jesus Christ you could drive a tour bus through those fucking blind spots.

>Mustang flying cars can't turn
surely you must be joking

Never hopefully. It'd be another 9/11 every day.

No worse than a van really

>that landing

I'm not sure if that thing is just difficult to fly or if the pilot/driver is terrible but that was some dodgy shit right there.

No, it looks way worse than even a cargo van with no side windows. the rear view mirrors aren't spaced wide enough to properly see around the folded wings.

the EG Civic already exists user

Not really. If you actually go to a public lookout at the airport where you can see the landing approach you will see some wild shit. Landings that we would consider dodgy looking are routine.

You say the mirrors aren't adequate but I'm going to have to side with the people who designed a working flying car over an anonymous poster on the internet.

Believe what you want then

That thing doesn't have the basic stability of a cessna, it's more like the stability of a really dodgy biplane. I wouldn't try flying it myself.

You haven't sat in the seat so how is your opinion not worthless?

Pussy.

You obviously have never flown a plane in inclement weather.

What kind of retardation are you talking? They COULD do the exact same with a Cessna, which is already everywhere. And a plane of that size would just shatter against a building, much less a ferro concrete nuclear reactor containment chamber.

Fine be a pussy bitch then. I've watched the biggest plane in the world land in high crosswinds carrying 200 tons of cargo landing sideways. How does it feel do be such a fag?

>weenie weenie weenie
Nigger please

If the weather is bad don't use the flying car if you're such a pussy little bitch.

Yes, but we have to have self-driving cars first. If normies can barely drive in one dimension how can you expect them to drive in 3?

Hey man, I never said it was worthless. I just said that the visibility and blind spots for basic road driving are really bad. I think it's really neat to be honest, I'm sure it took a LOT of work and the people who designed it are obviously much smarter than I am.

Just from watching that video though the thing looks like a nightmare to drive or fly. Poor visibility for driving and poor stability for flying. Look at how wobbly that thing is when coming into land, I'm sure the pilot is used to flying it by now but it looks like every minute adjustment he makes to the controls at low speeds causes a very large, erratic movement of the aircraft itself.

>Poor visibility for driving

You're implying they didn't do any tests to decide the width of the mirrors. In my opinion this is unlikely so I'm going to defer to the judgement of the talented engineers over your sorry.

You can't really judge the landing stability from watching one landing of one prototype.

>out for a casual cruise
>pass through university airspace
>dudebro in a long haul diesel prop plane takes off from a near by hangar
>pass him up thinking nothing of it
>minutes later VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>dudebro is tailgating your smaller plane within moments
>change airspace lane
>he follows
>speed up thinking you'll out pace him
>he's flying a long haul that's NEVER seen any cargo and has full tanks
>climb fast enough to cause him to stall
>he does, and tunes into your radio
>"faggot"
>he restarts, but just in time to get t-boned by an elderly couple flying a bi-plane
>there are no survivors

Yes, in a bout 10-15 years we'll be able to 3d print are out fling drone shuttles. Don't ask me how I know this, but it is true.

>They COULD do the exact same with a Cessna,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris_Moore

>Biggest plane in the world
>Heavy as fuck as barely affected by crosswinds of any sorts
>Comparable to an inherently unstable tiny shitcan that gets blown around like a fucking sparrow

>be me
>slapping the shit out of the stick in my Mazda Miata and making Fast and the Furious noises
>see some stupid soccer mom racemixing stacey cuntface pull up next to me at the light
>Turn up my Eurobeat to 110 so I dont have to listen to her talk on her cellphone
>light turns green
>slam on the gas and try to do a burnout but my car jerks hard to the right when I shift gears
>stupid bitch SJW femanazi doesnt even try to move her fucking Muhstang and I slam into the side of her
>get out and pull my driving gloves on tight and pop the collar of my scorpion jacket
>bitchgonnalearntoday.mpg
>Chad steps out of the passenger seat
>"How about this, shut your mouth or I'll kick your tee-"
>Chad punches me in the side of the head and I blackout
>wake up later in jail with a concussion
>I pissed myself
heh, fucking normie drivers

>0:45
>Premium: 4.11

visionvtol.weebly.com/vision-vtol.html

Maybe something like this?

Most drivers don't know how a car works or even the concept of changing their oil, do you really think they could handle a flying car?
Automated flying car sure but first comes the proof of concept which is the automated driving car AND we would need to find a way to make flying cars be efficient which is very difficult since weight is a huge factor in the flying car UNLESS it doesn't use airflow but something else like perhaps just such as 400 pigeons or the basic properties of electromagnetism somehow.

yes.

Chances are though that they will be automated and you won't be able to drive them.

It would be cool though if there were cheaper light airplanes available that didn't cost Lamborghini levels of money to own and maintain, but sadly that's about as much a pipe dream as cheaper boating is.

I'll take cross wind landings for 100 alex.

youtube.com/watch?v=soxxPyaAT1k

Sauce on that video?