Is it illegal for cyclists to take up the whole lane with a car behind or are they supposed to make room for car to...

Is it illegal for cyclists to take up the whole lane with a car behind or are they supposed to make room for car to pass? I live in California with good roads and cyclists have been ruining my fun

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u64SFHVYyyg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No they are allowed to do that the bikes can go wherever cars go

They're supposed to keep up with traffic though

They are allowed to take up the whole lane.

what happened to "share the road"

You don't have to give them any room if you leave no witnesses.

Surely doing 5-10mph in a 30/40 zone would come under "obstructing traffic"

But it doesn't.

Yes it does. There is a minimum speed limit too.

Yeah but the cops here don't care since the spandextards give good head

If it's never enforced for cyclists then it doesn't matter if the law is technically "on the books" though.

Just go at night and blast eurobeat

rage your dream

But it does. Probably depends on state/province, but they have to obey ALL of the same driving laws as Cars when on the road. Note I said driving laws, not licensing/transportation laws.

Have to stop at stop signs, have to signal, have to yield right of way, must make reasonable effort not to obstruct traffic, must not travel where they cannot meet minimum speed limits, etc etc.

Cyclists don't do ANY of this, but they lawfully have to. I'm actually not sure why cops have a hard on for Cyclists and don't constantly ding them for this stuff.

Where do you live where non-highways (which specifically say no Cyclists most of the time) have minimum limits?

>Cyclists don't do ANY of this
>generalising this hard

>implying you can have a fun driving experience during the day
Touge that shit up, faggot.

>Yes it does. There is a minimum speed limit too.

Not for bicycles. As long as they are allowed on the road (not freeways), bicycles are allowed to operate at their prudent speed. They are not required to operate at automobile speeds.

Sure, there are lots of irate drivers that hate anybody or anything getting in their way. Around here, drivers begrudge bikes and pedestrians. Many cars do not stop for pedestrians in marked crosswalks but simply keep on driving. Yes, even when the light says "Walk".

It's been a war of words lately between drivers who claim there is a war against cars and the city council that wants to encourage having more bicycle lanes. Even if there is plenty of room on the road shoulder for a bike path, drivers fight it simply because they don't want more bicycles on the road. 100% selfishness.

Also because the assholes don't actually ride in the bike lane

This. I don't understand why cyclists can't ride on the fucking sidewalk.

Fucking raycis reublican how dare you fucking cis white male

Because that's illegal dumbass. Bikes and peds don't mix just as much as cars and bikes dont mix.

I'm fine with bike lanes as long as they don't take away car lanes to provide them. I think it makes things safer for both drivers and cyclists and reduces traffic because then some people who would normally be too afraid to ride bicycles in the same lane as cars will actually ride a bicycle.

When they take away a car lane just to add bicycle lanes on both sides of an already crowded city street is when I rage because all that does is increase traffic and make car drivers hate cyclists more.

I know it's illegal, but it's retarded. It's not that fucking hard for someone to move out of the way for a bicycle. Instead we have these Lance Armstrong wannabe faggots holding up traffic for 8 miles back because there's no room to pass them on a two lane, while there's an empty sidewalk 10 feet away.

Just blast your music as high as it will go and press the pedal all the way down.

They'll move over one way or another.

>no sidewalks in my city
>never seen anyone on a cycle
>everyone goes 15mph over the speed limit everywhere
>people on motorbikes use the shoulder to pass cars
dog bless texas

But its true, they don't.

Go to North Dallas area around White Rock Lake, cyclists are everywhere, ride in the middle of the fucking lane doing 10mph or less, and never move over to let you pass.

Have you guys never driven in a city with bikes?
On my daily commute theres just a stream of bikers on the right hand side, gotten so used to it, it doesnt bother me anymore.
Usually the only time i see a biker take up the middle of a lane is when the car infront of me gets REALLY close to them.

but OP was talking about tight backroads, not city

Yeah then you dont really got an option.
I think slow drivers would be more frequent and "unpassable" than bikes though?

>But I'm not legally obligated to, asshole!

Repeated attempts to overtake less than an inch from the cyclist, generally.

My philosophy while cycling is that I need at least a foot of space between me and the kerb for emergency use. If cars pass too close, I can use it. If they insist on doing so, I take two feet so I can have more space to evade mirrors in.

To be fair, they do stay off of major highways. But. That's objectively all.

Cyclist filtering
>"Hey man i'm narrow so i can go between cars"

When you get in their lane 2 inches
>"WHY THE FUCK YOU GET IN MY LANE !!! I'M GONNA DIE"

can someone post that webm with a cyclist blocking a shitload of cars going uphill?

youtube.com/watch?v=u64SFHVYyyg

I love that youtube channel

If I was the guy in the white car behind him I'd be laying on the horn non-stop.

Because that'd speed it up.

>land of the free

Where exactly is this corner?
Planning a driving vacation to commiefornia this summer and I'd like to know where it is.

Anyone have a google maps link?

Grandstand on Mulholland.

I found it, thanks senpai.

>no room to pass them on a 2 lane

An american phenomenon. In anywhere else in the world if you have a cyclist going 8mph up a hill and a clear road in the opposing lane you can overtake them when safe to do so despite the solid yellow line because they are practically stationary.

I mean if you come upon a car sitting in the road going 0 mph aren't you allowed to pass it or do you have to sit and wait until the car moves or the tow truck comes along?

180lbs of soft tissue and noodle tube frame vs 3500lbs of sheet metal and heavy frame steel

That's why

>not getting close to bicyclists making them nervous so they pull over
>not going into the other lane to pass them
>not flooring it and giving them some nice exhaust to eat
>not honking at them from 5 feet away

Cagers: They don't pay any road taxes, they're worse than peds, and they're smug assholes; You're in a cage. You know what to do.

cyclefags: Learn what roads have large shoulders. Stay the fuck out of my way. Nobody cares you rode 200 miles and your toenails fell off.

in nyc passing someone and going into the opposing lane is illegal passing unless you have another lane to switch to get around, most people here swerve around when someone is waiting to turn or a bus is picking up poor people, ita mostly the cities fault for not havimg turning lanes and bus lanes but if a cop feels like it he will write you a ticket

Then go on the fucking bike trail that every county has

>it's mostly the cities fault for not havimg turning lanes and bus lanes

Places like NYC suffer from poor road design because the roads were laid out long before modern cars and busses were on the road. Now there is no way to expand the roads because there are buildings built up everywhere and it would cost a FORTUNE to widen roads and add lanes because you'd have to tear down high rises to make room for it. It's the same situation in most of the dense urban areas in Europe as well.

Places like Salt Lake City where they laid out all the roads beforehand and every 7th street was made wide enough for a team of horses pulling wagons full of cargo to pull a U-turn in have seen their road system transition quite well into the modern era.

>Then go on the fucking bike trail that every county has

Not in the USA. And the few that are here are being closed down. The anti-car politicians (in Seattle, for example) figure that closing bike paths and shoving the cyclists into general traffic is a traffic calming device. So far, the bicycle activists have fallen for it. Enjoy being used as a speed bump.

You don't live in America you live in a communist jew state.

REAL AMERICAN HERE

I don't know why they won't make exceptions for those situations

Here you can go into the opposing lane to over take once there is nothing coming the other way.

Like for a semi taking a tight turn. Don't they take up the opposing lane where necessary?

You're supposed to switch lanes entirely to pass cyclists anyway, therefore it doesnt matter if they take up the entire lane or not. Either you can pass safety in the opposite lane or you cant.

>>/n/

I'm the second post you replied to and I was in turn replying to a comment about cyclists taking up the whole road.

I commute in the city and the majority of cyclists I come across are very considerate and stay close to the kerb, I even see them edge closer when they hear me coming and I give them every inch of space I can. However there's this one dude on 95% the same commute as me (I even shared a table with him on breaks for a few weeks) who seems to think he needs to stay at least a metre from the kerb. Here on UK 2 lane roads that simply leaves no room for safe passing during my commuting times and he really pisses me off. I've not been angry enough yet to pass him closely but I'm getting to that point real quick. I have one stretch of 4 lane road where I can always pass him right before a set of lights, every time I have to stop I make sure I get in front of him in the inside lane and get like 1 foot from the kerb* yet he still fucking squeezes his way past on the inside and slows me the fuck down for the rest of the commute as the road narrows and he moves out another 2 1/2 feet again. And to top it all off he rides this 100% tarmac route on a full suspension mountain bike with handlebars the width of my fucking car.

*only for that guy. I always make space for considerate cyclists and motorcyclists since I was/am both of those things myself and more importantly I'm not a cunt. He just intentionally makes life difficult for anyone behind him

/rant

It'd piss him off like he's pissing everyone else off at least.

In Ohio, cyclists are not allowed by law to be further than 1 yard from side of the road (unless in a bike lane or road lane that's been marked as accepting bicycles), they're not allowed on freeways, not allowed to be on state highways and other major roads without proper reflectors

such it commie fornia

Well in Commiefornia and other shit states bike fags think they're cars and the local government continues to enable them to exercise their ecofag mental disability

They are supposed to pull over, just like a slow moving car/truck/tractor is legally obliged to pull over and let cars pass them where i live.

yeah, there are plenty of dipshit drivers creeping along at 20mph that never pull over

cyclists are annoying but they're about as annoying as all normie traffic

wew

Is this a bestiality photo set?
Link pls, don't judge.

fuck you, I laughed and sprayed beer all over my monitor

And next she fucks the cow

I'm not into that shit but I would definitely watch that video... just saying.

I'm pretty sure anyone who comes to Veeky Forums would watch a chick get railed by an animal.

a cyclist running a red light at worst causes himself to get killed and maybe a dinged bumper on the car that killed them. a car running a red light has a good chance of putting somebody else in the hospital, if not killing them. not that i'm defending it as i never ride through reds while cycling but, really, think about it

posted like a moron with no clue in the world. you're basically saying "cars are the only acceptable form of personal transportation." i like cars and all, but that's ridiculous. besides, bike trails really are not for remotely serious cycling. you really can't get a good workout on bike trails because they're intended for people interested in leisurely riding, that and a lot of people use them for jogging and sprint, so they basically become upscale sidewalks

people like you are the reason i carry a brick in my riding bag. enjoy it

wew lad. i'll never understand why people take their bicycles on mulholland. i'm sure it's a great ride and all but i wonder what could possibly go wrong when you decide to ride on the stretch of rode where weekend warriors go to total their automobiles

so is it illegal for cyclists to block up whole lane on california touge roads or not?

>cyclists acting badass on the internet
How's my exhaust smell?

Good thinking! Enjoy 3,000 lbs of steel, aluminum and plastic.

You do realize if used it will likely result in your death or dismemberment seconds later? Also, the driver will get off almost scot-free because you put his or her life in danger in a very tangible way. Pleaseeee do it.

If you want to get exercise on a bike, use a stationary.
If you want to enjoy a bit of a ride on a bike, use a bike trail.
Cars aren't the only acceptable form of transport, but they are the only acceptable form of transportation on roads for which they are engineered.

>Cars aren't the only acceptable form of transport, but they are the only acceptable form of transportation on roads for which they are engineered.

yeah i guess that's why bicycles are considered vehicles and legally allowed to be operated on roads just like any other vehicle

If you threw a brick at my car you would be under my wheels before you could even blink.

see? the simple-minded violence of the cager knows no end

>legally allowed to be operated on roads just like any other vehicle

Except for that passing on the right shoulder and impeding traffic stuff.

Let's get a few things straight
1. Cyclists are better than you. They can afford to not only buy a $5k toy, they can take time off midday to go enjoy it. Needless to say they are also much more fit than you. Your jealous resentment could not be more obvious
2. You are never going to do anything about cyclists but complain. Here you are in the middle of the day whining about them on the anime imageboard. No, you don't buzz by or throw things at them, the fact that you pretend to do these things on the internet sheds a lot of light on your pathetic life.

You getting stuck for 5 seconds behind a cyclist sending you into a tantrum that you don't do anything about but share your impotent rage on the internet is like your whole life boiled down into a single moment. Your life sucks, you aren't going anywhere, and you know it deep down, and elite people like cyclists are just mobile reminders of that fact.

Somehow, I think that would be adorable

who fucking makes a shitpost this long?

You might be carrying one, but a brick ain't gonna do much against a brick on wheels that weights 1000 times more.