Just did my first ever fix on a vehicle, Haynes manual saved my shit

Just did my first ever fix on a vehicle, Haynes manual saved my shit.
Tips for next time?
DIY thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coupe/2006_G35_Coupe/
psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Congrats. Slightly odd you needed a haynes manual to replace a starter but w/e nice job. Buy more tools.

Thanks man!
Well I didn't even know I had to lift the engine to get to this thing, I've never ever touched the inner workings of a vehicle before

Did you go with OEM?

Good on ya, welcome to the wonderful world of wrenching.

no I got the costco brand starter for my car

Nice job man, fixing your own car is very satisfying and makes you know and appreciate (or curse to hell) your car and the mechanics and engineering that lie beneath the bonnet.

My new EGR valve should be arriving maybe tomorrow or early next week. If that doesn't do the job, I'll have to take apart the intake on my DD in order to clean up the EGR passages. Not very difficult, but somewhat time-consuming and I'd probably need to find a new gasket for it, since my local parts store doesn't carry one for this particular engine.

OEM was 300€
Valeo was 110€
The choice was obvious

where to download haynes manuals?

Nice, that's a good entry level repair. The more you do, the more you'll realize what an absolute scam repair shops are. If you've got the time, tools and a good manual you can fix just about anything.

Tell me your model

yes, OEM

I recently had to choose between AC Delco $130 and TYG $55 starter on Rockauto. Went with the TYG. When it showed up, it looked exactly like picture of the AC Delco starter on Rockauto. Fucking OEM are substituting cheap parts so I always go with the cheapo now.

06 G35 Coupe

I had to clean out the EGR system and the valve on my tracker last month. It wasn't bad. Took a good few hours but not bad. Best thing was to have a couple pistol brushes of the right diameter and zip ties for the smaller passages. If your EGR valve gasket is metal, you can reuse it. Mine wasn't but it was only $2 for a metal one at the local auto store.

Fair warning though, if you're doing it because of a CEL code, it might not be that at all. Mine turned out to be the EGR solenoid. But the EGR stuff was pretty clogged up and really needed cleaning anyhow so I don't feel I wasted my time.

>not junkyard OEM for 30€
We can go cheaper.

Hard to find junkyard pieces for a Citroën BX

Those things are a godsend for anyone with basic mechanical knowledge but no clue.

My first fix with one was sorting out slack throttle response on my old Astra. I went in armed with the book and a can of WD-40, thinking I'd unstick the throttle cable.
Book then informed me there wasn't one, and it was throttle-by-wire. Poking at the pedal showed it was literally sticking, so I just un-gummed it.

>be a honda

>have to take off the fucking intake to replace starter

Yeah, the CEL has been on my ass for a while, throwing misfire codes at me. After checking the usual suspects (spark plugs, coil pack, filters, MAF etc.), I tried unplugging the EGR connector. Long story short, no misfire codes anymore. Leads me to suspect a sticking/faulty valve (have tried cleaning it, no luck) and/or clogged passages.

By the way, the nuts where extremely hard to unscrew, do they need to be screwed in the same amount of incredibly hard?

>06 G35 Coupe
nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coupe/2006_G35_Coupe/

psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/

Nah, it's usual for nuts and bolts to get stuck. Just make them nice and snug. You can use some penetrating fluids to help breaking things loose without potentially breaking them altogether.

no

I just got my car back from the shop and the highbeams aren't working when I push the switch back for it to stay on. It works when I pull it towards me when it stays on temporarily. I looked under the hood and found the cables for it. The one I'm holding is the one that isn't working, and the one left of it is the one that works. The wires were in place properly and it's not working. How can I fix this?

nevermind I fixed it. I was doing the diagnostics while the car was off, and didn't realize I had to turn it on for the "stay-on" thing to function. Apparently it got fixed when I first removed the wire and put it back in.

Should I get the Chilton or Haynes Honda Civic (06-10) manual? I want to start doing thing myself too. I'm getting mixed reviews from both

... so that's a 5 minute job to take off the intake, be happy it's not a z32 where you're taking off intake manifold

If it's just simple things like starter or intake then get a Haynes.
If you're going to have the car a long time and may do an engine build or rewire systems get a Factory Service Manual. They're pricey but they have detailed instructions on EVERYTHING. Torque specs, tolerances, some even include TSBs(technical service bulletins) and how to fix them.

Haynes. Chilton especially the older ones are like flipping through a fucking phonebook

>EGR
>not having a superior EGA
lol stay pleb

I swapped a rear caliper that had seized this week. I cut my hand putting the handbrake spring back on but hey, only cost £20.

Congratulations. You did what is expected for an average intelligence human being capable of.

Fuck off faggot he fixed something on his car for the first time and should feel good about himself. I can completely dismantle diagnose repair and reassemble a fucking Javelin missile launcher, can you do that? Oh aren't you of average intelligence? Then shut the fuck up.

Good job op I'm proud of you

Thanks guys. Ordered. I'm quite excited honestly.

Yeah I could do that too. If grunts can do it, it's nothing extraordinary. And praising mediocrity only brings more mediocrity.

So yeah, nah. OP did nothing extraordinary.

It does feel pretty momentous when you do something and get it right.

I never had anybody to teach me car stuff, had to learn from scratch and made so many fuckups on my car, but I can do basic servicing now and it's great to not be raped by mechanics.

not sure if this is bait or not,
but fixing something on your car for the first time is fairly satisfying, even if it is as simple as bolting something on.
everyone's gotta start somewhere ya egotistic cunt

I pulled, completely tore down, rebuilt, and re-installed the engine in my motorcycle using only a pirated service manual, forum posts, and youtube videos as my guide. The amount of knowledge and resources available on the internet these days is pretty amazing.

>I had to turn it on for the "stay-on" thing to function

>Grunts
>implying

Dismantling internals and diagnosing faulty circuit card assemblies and solid state devices

Try again faggot

Sure. And I'm not against. Just don't praise something that anyone with half a brain should be able to do. He fixed something, good for him. Period. No fuss. Otherwise we fester in a septic pool of inepts being praised because they learned how to turn a wrench and screw a bolt.

Thanks! I'm a software developer and I've never even thought about learning mechanics, so I'm happy for this to be my starting point!
I know it's nothing extraordinary but it's definetly out of my skill set to diagnose and replace car components.

Now he goes deeper in an atempt to damage control. Hey buddy, guess what you only mentioned assembly/disassembly. And as it turns out, rather funny though, I can also diagnose electronics.

>I can also diagnose electronics
so can every iphone fixer in Chinatown

Wow. Replacing a starter motor. You would have to be deaf not to hear it. You would have to be stupid not to know Google. You would have to be physically impaired not to be able to remove a couple bolts replace a part and tighten things back again.

Congratulations for not being an absolute stupid mongoloid.

trying to imply there are common electronics and then some other electronics that rely on wizardry

top kek

90% of the general population doesn't even know what a starter looks like or how to even begin going about replacing one. OP likely didn't either, I think he did a good thing and deserves praise for taking a risk, going out of his comfort zone, and learning something new.

OK, so now everybody that can't gather the motivation to learn basic starter level car servicing is an absolute stupid mongoloid?

Have fun running Android on your phone! Maybe you should've done like all inteligent humans in the world and have programmed your own operating system? It's easy for me so it should be easy for absolutley everybody!

90% of the population is stupid beyond acceptability

Praising someone for doing what any decent human should be capable of doing is praising those 90% of stupidity.

He did it. Fine. Good for him. End.

>I can fix forward looking infrared

Dis nigga never dun heard of positive reinforcement.

Where do you think you are?

Also good job on calling seven billion one hundred twenty-four million two hundred thirty-six thousand three hundred people absolute stupid mongoloids

Yeah pretty much anyone that dwells in their stupidity with no interest in getting any better or knowing anything more is a pretty fucking stupid mongoloid.

The premise is exactly that. I'm no more incapable than Linus, Gates or anyone else. Given time, tools, and sheer will, I would also be capable of coding an operative system.

Should I be praised for it? In reality no, but given that coding an entire SO is tenfold more complicated than replacing a fucking starter, I can understand some praise there. Replacing a mechanical part on an engine which simply gets bolted on, no fucking praise to be given there.

Now if he managed to disassemble the complete started and overhaul it, now there could be some mitigation. As it stand, OP can go fuck himself. What he did even trained monkeys would be able to do.

Yeah and it's a fucking cancerous thing. It only lowers expectations and willingness.

And I won't retract a single word.

>tfw no Haynes manual for my car

It's a facelift Clio 3. They do a pre-facelift manual, but not the facelift. I want to do a heater resistor replacement but I literally haven't found a single forum post online to at least tell me where it is. They seem to be in different places in the Clio 1 and 2 but no one has at least documented the replacement on a Clio 3. I asked a Clio forum and they basically said to go and find a Clio 3 replacement or hope someone posts one. That was like a month ago.

I've looked at the process for various Renault cars and it seems to be either remove a bit of trim in the engine bay, unplug the old resistor, plug the new one in and replace the trim, or it's remove the whole dashboard, unplug the old resistor, plug the new one in and replace the dashboard.

The car is still under warranty, so I could just do it on the warranty, but I want to at least try and do it myself.

See here. Complete example of what those 90% of stupidity are.

Car is under warranty. Mong here doesn't have a jack shit of idea what hes doing, but he wants to do it.

Have fun voiding your warranty you subhuman.

Sure feels bus rider in here

>can take his time in his own driveway
>OP saves several hundred dollars
>avoids mechanic claiming extra problems
>avoids mechanic screw-ups
>knows exactly what part actually went in
This is top 10 percentile stuff, at least in my circle of acquaintances.

Then your acquaintances are pretty fucking low tier scum.

Who do you acquaint yourself with?

Fellow bus riders.

>Yeah and it's a fucking cancerous thing. It only lowers expectations and willingness.
What kind of a shitty ass hater are you? I'm sure your parents never praised you either whenever you did anything well, so now your only purpose in life is ruining life for others.

i've got to agree with the angry poster dude... replacing parts on an engine is nothing out of the norm for what someone should be able to do...
i had a law degree, and was short on money, never worked on a car before, knew it was nothing more than a machine, got the workshop programs from vw, read a bit, just bought that lock tool, and changed the timing belt with the peripherals with no issues whatsoever... op changed a starter... that's not amazing.

OP didn't claim it was amazing so you must be projecting.

Not with many people I can tell you that. Precisely cause of that general stupidity that I can't stand.

No more than a dozen, very well picked friends.

Yeah, I got praise, when I did something above average. Not for fucking knowing how to tie my shoes. Parallax to an adult being able to change a starter, especially a man.

no arguments so you pick semantics?

Wrenching on your own car is so rewarding

As it is not forgetting to breathe. Do you post about it on the web too?

>You did what is expected for an average intelligence human being capable of.
This is you isn't it? Who the fuck taught you English?

Self-taught. Clearly it isn't my 1st language. Yet you understood. How many languages do you speak?

kek

>child scores 95% on 5th grade pre-algebra test
>proud of achievement, shows parents
>parents shame child, tell him that "anyone should be able to do well on a 5th grade math test, that's nothing to be proud about"
>parents look at question he got wrong, tell him that he must be a fucking mongoloid for missing that question, it doesn't even require knowledge of the quadratic formula to solve
>thoroughly beat child for expecting praise, make him spend next week in the cupboard under the stairs

Oh wow do you have to post on the internet about it?

Three. Asshole sounds the same in every language, and it's pretty clear what you are.
>self-taught
Hope you work on cars better than you teach, faggot.

kek, you're speaking to the choir m8

Only if smart asses try to, well, be smart asses.

Show us then.

>us
So you think you're multiple people now? That explains a lot. This is Veeky Forums you faggot. If people want to talk about working on their cars, then so be it. There will always be some cocksucker that thinks they're better than everyone else, yet can't even change a tire because they don't even own a car.

>tfw dont have the money for tools
>tfw cant do anything and have nobody to help me learn
>tfw if anything fucked up on my car as a result of my poor repair id be fucked

You know more languages or not?

You've got Google, you've got Youtube. For most things you don't need more than basic tools. Only for serious repairs you would be needing some proper tools

I don't have basic tools.
And what if I want to modify my car to be better? If I could trade lives with any of you I would

You can get everything you need for a few hundred dollars over the course of a few years. Start small and only buy what you need.

Is there a good basic tool kit I can get for cheap? Just with everything I need to start out.

people think that knowing how to change a part on their car makes you a man

stupid monkeys dont realize that us white collar folk understand how to use our hands but we prefer to make 10x the money you do in a week than screw over our body
tards

You can find like 100+ piece socket, ratchet, and wrench sets that aren't bad for a (relatively) cheap price. That and a good screwdriver set with a bunch of different bits (flat, phillips, JIS, torx, allen) is all you'll need to start out.

>having such a fragile body that changing a starter, alternator, or belt literally "screws it over"

I'm glad I don't know that feel

>Haynes manual
not bad. Chiltons is sometimes better. cant hurt to have both.
Also check Ebay for actual dealer/factory shop service manuals for your make/model/year. Sometimes they can be had for a reasonable price if your lucky. and basically show everything possible.
Its like a complete graphical encyclopedia for your entire car.

>tfw your hand only cost £20

>never done a repair in my life
>this is how my car looks like

the chassis is fine but the bodywork and rear suspension is fucked in so many ways i can't even comprehend how i'm alive . we all like to shit on the nanny state for making automotive safety regulations so strict , but if you get into a crash , you'll be thanking them .

btw if you are wondering how
>understeer into tree on wet road

well i'm not gonna be driving anytime soon .

Please, that crash didn't even look bad. You didn't even break any glass.

Fix the rear suspension, do some redneck body work, paint the car flat black and you're good to go familia.

How the hell did you understeer sideways?

That's the fags life story there user

Fucking cocksucker coming to this thread and trying to shit on something that we on this board are proud of, just fuck off back to /r9k or /b while we all discuss The beginnings of this man's journey into mechanics

>cant ride on wet roads
>thinks safety regulations are a good thing if they ruin everything just so some stupid cunts can get away when they should've darwin'd themselves
fuck you.

>understeer into tree on wet road
i hope your not trying to blame that shit on the car. because that is actually just shirty irresponsible driving on your part.
you should work on becoming a better driver.
learn to read the road conditions and adjust your, speed, braking, steering maneuvers accordingly.
I cant tell you how many times i've been driving on a wet twisty road and some smart-ass in a sporty car passes me going way too fast for the conditions, only to see him rolled over and upside down in the ditch a few miles later.

Poor Golf:/ my corolla got smashed by a drunkard and I got a golf

Oddly enough, I got hit by some guy in a traffic circle in that same spot on my car (on the other side.)

Well mostly because i'm a garbage boyracer who thought he was hot shit but
>going on shitty country road
>see what i think is the main road
actually an unpaved industrial road whit a big as fuck ditch separating it
>swerve left so i stay on the actual , unmarked road
>ass hangs out because wet road + summer tyres = no traction
>make contanct with tree
>do a sick 180
> pull my heap to the side of the road
>have a short cry , than thank hitler for making VW and germeme engineering for being able to just walk away

it was my fault fully , it not like i'm saying that some dick decided to park his tree in the middle of the road , i was going 2fast on a bad road

well at least it wasn't your fault , unlike me who managed to order up a big mcfuckmyself all on my own . Car was a champ , if the road was half decent i would have gotten away with it , but alas , you live , you hoon , you wreck , you rinse and than repeat

well, sorry you and your car had a bad time. if no one was injured you got lucky and hopefully learned something.
sounds like "under-steer" is just another way to say, "i was driving to fast for road conditions and lost traction so i couldn't properly steer through the corner"

see
really not the cars fault . all driver error thankfully . and that shit i can work on