Is the only reason it takes 3 years to become a qualified spray painter because it's a job full of dumb high school...

Is the only reason it takes 3 years to become a qualified spray painter because it's a job full of dumb high school drop outs, hence they give them a long time to learn to make it easy?

If I start spray painting things as a hobbie how long until I get gud?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/swrnc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

with that mindset you will always be trash
>"if the job doesn't require a master's degree that means it's for idiots"
-NEET shitposter with zero job experience

It literally is a job full of high school drop outs though...

I joined groups for spray painters on facebook so I could listen to them talk about spray painting.

Nothing but hill billies all over my facebook now, lol.

You expected highbrow philosophical discussion or something?

He sure as hell didnt expect those quints

Well a lot of the time its

"Oi do any of you cunts like bear after work, what kinda beer do you like"

"Hahaha Dazza you would drink that poofter shit you fuckin fairy"

It honestly can't be toooo hard if people like that can learn to do it.

no offence but any retard could learn to paint or do manual labor jobs so think about that while you train for a retard job

Ez. Keep the right distance. Learning to fade takes some practice

How come a spray painting apprenticeship takes 3 years?

All the courses where I live are only offered to apprentices in the industry.

>NBA players are retards because look how they talk
>basketball must be easy, amirite?

>If I start spray painting things as a hobbie how long until I get gud?
probably 3 years

That's something that requires hand eye coordination not brains though.

it's fucking facebook you pretentious cunt, not harvard debating union

kek

Youre a moron if you think it doesn't take brains to play a team sport. Why don't 6ft+ muscle heads get in on the pussy and money that comes from pro league sports?

I'm going to uni for EE and appliedmath buddy. You are the one who is retarded I bet you can't even do a triple integral or do a linear regression of a dataset without using extra libraries

Fucking idiot, why are you on Veeky Forums, isn't Family Guy on?

Based on the wording of your post you aren't smart enough to become a painter, sorry OP, you will lose about 1/2 of your brain cells in your career and you don't have enough to spare unfortunately.

That's the point, painting requires a fair amount of hand/eye coordination and not everyone has that coupled with the ability to maintain focus on the task for long periods of time.

If your brain was too active, you'd go nuts from the boredom and monotony of it.

That wasn't exactly my point. Let me guess, you play sports and got butthurt at my analogy.

you didn't make an analogy you dense cunt

hope you enjoy the neet life, you'll be stuck with it for a while

>all this mad
Did I touch a nerve with the whole 'dumb jock' thing?

And yes, it was an analogy, look up the definition.

There are cowboy operators and the real deal. Cowboys sand blast with old grit and couldn't tell you how the moisture separator protecting them from destroying the paint system works. Probably half the field would struggle to tell you what causes orange peel and will struggle to understand why you are so angry that there is orange peel in the finish.

On the other hand there are the real deal sprayers. Guys and girls that know when to use a polyvinylchloride primer/tie coat or a two pack epoxy primer, and what paint systems can be put on top of that. And what paint systems can be applied on top of other paint systems. Or how to accurately blend tints and shaders to reproduce the same pot each time.

If you are looking to learn yourself get a few demo panels and practice the surface prep over and over before you touch a gun. What grit paper to use, what motions to use with the paper, what stripping chemicals can be used on what trim etc etc. When you have that down pat learn how to maintain the tools. A varnished gun will give you a shit pattern every time no matter what pressure and flow rate you supply it or paint system you use. Git gud at cleaning the gun straight after the paint system has been applied.

Working in the marine industry it is a genuine pleasure when a painter sounds the hull material, blasts it all back neatly then knows each step of the paint system applicable and the best method to apply it. They turn around and say 'we got 80 microns on the final coat in all areas other than x where we only got sixty but the paint system is minimum sixty on the final coat so all is well.' Other cunts just look at you like you've got six heads and ten dicks when you ask for the thickness of the final coat and wouldn't know how to find it out, let alone have the tools to do so.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

>he doesn't know what an analogy is
point out the analogy you made la

Essentially this

the actual job isn't complicated, but its all the knowledge that is needed in order to do it appropriately that is demanding

you gotta know what to do with different types of materials and paints and which kind of things work and don't work with eachother, and that shit takes time to know how to end up with a perfect finish in one go without having to redo the whole thing because of minor details.

you wont succeed if you're not an ocd perfectionist, and this is just the technical part.

It takes a lot of fucking work to take trim and other things off without damaging them, try it yourself, plastic shit is a nightmare to not only remove but to sand down to a point that it will accept paint.

I advise you take a look at this channel, he talks about the struggle of owning his own shop and so on, it's pretty interesting.

youtube.com/user/swrnc

>I've never played sports outside of high school
It's okay user

OP says that basically you don't have to be smart to paint, because all the people who do it are dummies

I say that oh, that's like saying that basketball is easy because dumb jocks do it (in not so many words)

a·nal·o·gy
əˈnaləjē
a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

And then you got ass enraged because you thought I called you dumb.

Painting plastic. Fuck painting plastic.

Fuck painting plastic.

Fuck,
Painting Plastic

PS I hit that shit with Interprime or PA-10, usually used for propshafts, props and rudders. Fuck you paint cunt you are sticking to that plastic cunt because I told you to.

and then user proved that he actually *is* dumb by saying that wasn't an analogy, maximum kek.

Maybe he thought an analogy had something to do with anal?

Thanks for saving me the long winded responce.
Yes, any idiot can "spray paint" a car/tractor/bike/airplane/boat etc...
But I guarantee 90% of the tards here would either waterfall their clear coat or spray so dry it would look like rattle can nigger jobs.

To turn our a professional quality refinish job takes a lot of skill and knowledge. It's not PhD level rocket science, but you can't learn how to do it right reading at at Harvard either.

Honestly I don't think it's worth it. I get paid 48,800 but it jump up to $60,000 with overtime. I paint refrigerators and vending machines. These are a lot easier than cars and google is telling me they get paid less.

Mfw I work at a body shop as a paint prepper and see that horrible masking job and paint
Shit would get you fired

No way, literally any idiot of the street can "spray paint" a car, ask OP

Paint is skilled work. Doing it well takes, well, skill. That's not the same thing as intelligence.

The learning curve will depend on your predisposition for the work. That, too, is not a matter of intelligence- some might call it talent.

Knowledge does help, and experience will build that as well. However, there is no replacement for skill that's developed with practice.

If you're the sort who gets assmad when someone you perceive as dumb/uneducated/lesser is better than you at something, you're going to discover a whole world of butthurt in skilled trades.

Urr, that post don't have nothing do with anal logs! I'm gonna tell him he stupid!

That's true.
I'm planning to get out soon for another trade. Something not price controlled by Fucking insurance companies.

>painted rotors

*sigh*

Yeah, any retard could learn manual labor. I'm going to guess soft bitch hands like you wouldn't be able to take the physicality of the job.
Stay in school tubs. Let the men do the real work.

Lol okay kid, you probably don't even work on your own car and think mechanics are retards because you think it's like puzzle pieces, underage faggot

It burns off in 30 mins lol

Mate, you have no idea of the scale of paint finishing and refinishing in the marine industry. Mega dollars on complicated paint systems that the auto industry know so well, but a lot of boat to spray and not much curing time to get it on there. There is a lot of boat to surface prep properly. A lot of boat. Days on end of needle gunning rust and sanding the hull(s).

And then there's these cunts. Coat of this, one sand over of that and to make the antifoul more potent, mix up a bit of Roundup and some Rat Sack in with it too. Half cured epoxy getting rolled on in the rain..... And then they take some other cunt's money for it! No skill, no knowledge, but they have an invoice book.

>...there is no replacement for skill that's developed with practice...

That's a golden truth. A wise man once said it doesn't take talent to practice.

> If you're the sort who gets assmad when someone you perceive as dumb/uneducated/lesser is better than you at something, you're going to discover a whole world of butthurt in skilled trades.

Moar golden truth. If you are the type to let that get to you it'll tear you apart.

Cars are literally puzzle pieces with thousands of pieces tho

schooling is necessary but sometimes people don't learn like the rest. I did shitty in high school and got into the trades. in trade school i got 90s and was good at it. tradespeople can make a lot of money too. if you're a fucking idiot you won't make a good tradesman plain and simple.

This, you have to diagnose drivability issues caused by traction control strategy problems all the time when you are putting together your Thomas Kinkaid puzzles, literally the same thing. Painting a car is the same as painting your Warhammer dolls too, just bigger.

It's much different actually

I have a degree in IT networking and work a cyber security job and all my co-workers sound just like that.

The reason it takes 3 years is because schools like charging you for longer.

You could probably become a solid painter in a year if you put the time into practising

1/10 good try

No, need to be a complete bogan just because it's a casual setting...

>*drools on self like a retard and wets pants*
>M8 did isn't harvard so it's okay to be retarded.

Hand eye coordination =/= muscles and height.

Painting cars is a lot of work and it honestly takes a lot of fucking skill and practice.
3 years seems excessive but I will say it's not easy at all and the amount of work that goes into a good paint job is absolutely astronomical.

Smash repair places just bang out quick dodgey jobs...
Hot rod places work like how you described.

Can you elaborate further about the marine paint refinishing industry?

Would it make sense to make the switch from automotive painting to marine?

>tradies mad that people perceive them as stupid

I would rather earn 50k a year than to hang out with feral tradies all day and be stupid as fuck.

facebook is Veeky Forums for people with friends

Get a load of the sophomore who just finished Calc 3 with a C.

But people who are good at these skilled jobs aren't dumb, it's a different kind of intelligence but it's still intelligence.

It takes a good mind to be able to visualize and do up Joinery, Building, Carpentry, Mechanical work, Painting, Welding etc.

Sure you could do these jobs yourself but it'll take you a long time to do something that's not particularly great.

People just think that because they got B's or something at school and went to University [Hey guys, EVERYONE goes to University nowadays, it isn't special unless you go to a good one and do a challenging course] that they are somehow better than extremely skilled workmen.

Also the world lied to you idiots about work, you got promised 35-40k in a cushy job salaried with a million benefits

Then you realize your employers are total jews and will fire you or dock your pay for the tiniest of infractions or fudging 10 miles on your company car. They want you to put 20 hours a week extra unpaid and you don't get any benefits of a job.

Then you realize the tradie that gets paid 24k on the books is getting another 20k odd a year cash in hand off the books and is probably getting the same money he would on a 80K salary after tax.

but the other guy made the basketball analogy, not you.

I see complete imbeciles do a trade (because they were shit in school and have no other options) and are abysmal at it and end up quitting to be a trolley boy, you still need to be somewhat intelligent to be proficient that kind of work.

Kek, this

My friend took up a paint/spray course of 1 year and is now working as a spray painter for Bentley.

Intelligence helps to a degree in most things, yes. The difference is that for a lot of skilled work, an "average" intellect is more than adequate, and a shortage of intelligence can often be compensated for with talent or even just practice. Most importantly, beyond that lower threshold, ability isn't going to correlate with intelligence; an extra 20 IQ points won't make an ordinary person much better at welding or wrenching in the long run (though they may learn the concepts a bit more quickly early on).

I'm sure there's a high school dropout out there somewhere who's dumb as rocks, but has been painting cars for 20+ years and is better at it than OP could ever hope to be. But don't think that I'm trying to write off all tradesmen as retards or anything like that. If anything, I'm envious- though I'm educated and can do a lot of things decently, I'm not really exceptional at anything. IMO, being very skilled in a craft is something that commands respect.

Dude, anyone doing anything interesting doesn't fucking use facebook, because they've got better things to do than dickmeasure with morons and waste their time fucking around all day.

I say this as a fully self-aware meme-containment internet zone (and sometimes car stuff) poster; we all have our vices, but you have to realize that facebook is literally "ooh! pretty pictures and childish drama!" the app.

Intelligence is an overrated quality by underachieving keyboard experts who like to tell themselves "I could do that, I just didn't want to"

Being proficient at, and mastering something are two different things. Both require skill that is only obtained trough dedication, but the latter requires higher intelligence.

graduating in one semester little boy

Painting is one of those jobs that any old idiot can do. A true professional however, is the farthest thing from an idiot. Mixing shit together to get the same color each and every time, what primer can be matched with what paint, what clear coat can be matched with what paint, ect ect.

There's money in it for sure, depending on where you live. It's hard work but the pay can be pretty good. I don't work in the slipways anymore but it seems if you work onboard in any capacity, you will be painting at some stage of the job.

The four main substrates painted below the waterline are steel, aluminium, fibreglass and timber (the devil). Above the waterline is much the same but add stainless for stanchions and barwork and some plastics. There is a huge range of specific paint systems for these substrates that don't work on other substrates and an operator that is familiar with all of the systems and how to apply them will have regular work.

If you are spraying or refinishing white boats there is a lot of attention to minor details as there is in the auto industry for a proper spray job. Commercial workboats not as much, sometimes it is rolled on and other times sprayed. There are quality standards to meet but there isn't the anal retentive QA Manager analysing the clear coat with an ultrasonic depth gauge as there is in the white boat refinishing market. To be honest I hate working on fancy white GRP boats internally, the surface prep process ends up throwing fibreglass everywhere. You'll be itching for days. Externally isn't so bad but steel and aluminium are easier and cleaner to prep.

Health and safety can be a bit lacking in some slipways and dry docks but you can't fuck around with antifoul man. The old TBT stuff is about as bad as it gets but even the modern cuprous oxide stuff is very, very bad for you to inhale. Lot's of crazy old painters who huffed too many fumes.

He got the job straight out of the course?

>It takes a good mind to be able to visualize and do up Joinery, Building, Carpentry, Mechanical work, Painting, Welding

I wouldn't really compare painting to this.

Yeah but at the end of the day you are not a pathetic high school drop out who smokes winnie blues all day.

You could pay me 300k a year and I wtill would want to be educated and have finished high school.

Education is about more than pay.. Just like how health and firness are worth more than how you look.

For example I was eating a burger at a corner store...

A tradie pulls up in a nice 1970's holden one tonner with big fat tyres on the back I was impressed by it so I was looking at it.

The dumb as bricks tradie gets out and starts screaming "The fuck are you looking at you dumb cunt!"

I replied I was looking at your car, I like it.

The tradie replied "oh okay" in an embarresed kind of way.

You see when you work as a tradie these kind of people are your peers...

I hate talking to dumb cunts like this.. You couldn't pay me enough to eat lunch with them 5 days a week.