>no wrench experience
>no other car
>be BOLD AS FUCK
>buy 65 Impala that's falling apart
>goal: drive it halfway across US for PCS
>life goes nuts
>hitch rides off friends to make part runs
>brakes fail, fix entire brake system with 4 different master cylinders
>tire pops, take popped tire to ship for new tire, get tire back on, drive car into shop, pull other 3 tires
>car stops running, messed up timing when replacing rotor and distributor cap, buy wrong replacement, just get it back to running
>rebuild carburetor
>change oil, thick black sludge, oil filter requires 2 hours of air drill to come off
>change coolant and hoses and add thermostat, thermostat housing leaks like crazy, fix it
>drive car to parts store for first time, radiator blows up in parking lot
>get new radiator and coolant in in 2 days
>try to find out reason temp sender is broken

>car suddenly stops running, will crank but nothing, not even with starting fluid
>seller never gave me proper paperwork to register car
>other issues keeping it from passing inspection
>no chance of making it now with 2 weeks b4 PCS
>probably have to take seller to court

The dizzy, points or electronic? if it doesn't start with even starting fluid(or even backfire) it's spark. Check for power to coil and dizzy. if it's points, take a screw driver or pointy stick and rub those cunts together. Sounds like you only have basic tools(no feeler gauges) so get a match book and set the gap while you're under the cap(google this for plenty of guides).

Don't rely on the dummy lights in the dash. Go to an autoparts store and buy a temperature gauge. could go in place of the old sending unit or anywhere you can find a properly sized threaded hole with coolant flow. Don't install it BEFORE the thermostat. or do, but you won't get any reading until the thermostat opens (or if it sticks, none at all). OR even better, buy a three pack cluster gauge set. Oil pressure, temperature, and battery bolts. This would give you a pretty good eye on the important parts under the hood from within the cab.

No offence but you sound like a fucking moron.

>buying a piece of shit
>not knowing how to wrench before buying said pos

This I've done and I would say it's stupid but most people learn their lesson after doing it once. But..

>not having a working car beforehand
>having not one but SEVERAL inspection issues besides all that fucking shit you already did plus whatever you have yet to realize
>all this while not making sure to have the paperwork done a fucking long time ago
>ALL this on a deadline

See there's being a bold idiot but you are a special type of ascended moron.

Well in reality, the to do list as it stands is get windshield replaced, rebuild steering column, rebuild brake pedal sensor, adjust parking brake and, well, get her running again. I'm actually pretty close, I've just run into setback after setback with this car (which are really steps forward dive the car is pointing out what's wrong to me). I have a 4 day weekend starting tomorrow so I might be able to get it done. I'm also working with 3rd party on proper registration. I guess I just came here to let some weight off.

oh god. a 2 barrel. Nothing but problems.

why are american cars so shit?

I see.

Good luck to you. Seems like you already put some work into it so I hope you see that thing running well in time.

The registration will probably be your biggest headache.

>I've just run into setback after setback with this car
No offense, but the fuck else did you expect buying a POS 50 year old rusted out shit box?

But to be helpful, what did you not get from the seller to prevent registration?

It's a carb from the 80s too, I think from a boat
Thanks man. If I actually make the PCS this is going to be one hell of a story
The setbacks were more from my lack of experience (fucking up timing, not realizing brake issue was mc bypass, not replacing tires with cracked walls before one exploded) and with buying the wrong parts/having to ask for a lot of rides to the parts store. I'm lacking a bill of sale, the seller has told me repeatedly over the past 2 months that she's sent it in the mail but I don't have it and my title isn't dated and such. Will be faxing a copy of my title over to the 3rd party because I'm bad at explaining what's on the title (it's an old title from a different state than the one I'm trying to register my car in)

my god
how much money/time did you put into this so far?
and how much did you pay for it?

Some pointers:

-The title needs to be signed, dated, and notarized. If you did not do ALL of that when you first got the car, most states are going to require the original seller to get a new title, and have you guys redo the sale. Again, in most cases when you buy a car from a private seller, you want to head to a bank or any establishment that will have a notary (the DMV is another common place), sign the title and Bill Of Sale, and have it notarized right then.

Yes, it doesn't HAVE to be done that way, but doing it that way insures you have all the proper paperwork, signed and notarized the way it needs to be, at the time of sale

You MIGHT have the option to file for a lost title with the DMV in your state, but that usually requires a bill of sale to prove you own the vehicle, but it would be worth contacting the DMV headquarters in your state, explaining the situation, and asking what they options are

-IF you have to sue, GET A LAWYER. DO NOT take it to small claims court. The seller can simply opt not to show up, and while that's an automatic win for you, you have far less options to compel the defendant for compensation. The judge will simply issue a judgement, then it will be up to YOU to get into contact with law enforcement in the county where the seller lives to try and force the required paperwork you need.

Getting a lawyer and taking it through the circuit court is the only way it will not devolve into a complete cluster fuck for you, and even THEN, if you win, you are looking at least 2-3 month before everything will be resolved to such a point that you can register the car (Not just talking out of my ass, my family owned a small dealership for more than a decade, and had to take MANY people to court of forged/false/incomplete titles and incomplete paperwork who would never respond or come back to correct it)

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I love the style of this car, I wanted to learn how to do everything for fixing cars (and just about everything needed to be fixed), that the car was available when I wanted it and was near enough that shipping the car was hassle free. With a recently rebuilt tranny and exhaust, and with a running engine, I was totally willing to pay the premium, and had the cash on hand for it.

I paid $6200 for the car, and have probably spent around $500, most of which went into a brand new radiator (I'm most afraid of overheating issues since my temp gauge isn't working). We have an auto hobby shop on base that I go to every weekend totaling like 15 hours, and often work on it in the parking lot when it breaks down even though I'm not supposed to

If it's within your means to do so, the BEST bet would simply be to drive back to the seller, and confront him/her directly. Print the paperwork you need (plenty of templates online fro a bill of sale), take the title, and go and immediately have it all signed in front of a notary

It STILL might be the case that the seller has to request a duplicate title (or you have to request one in your state) since it from what you are explaining, the title wasn't dated or notarized when you guys did this originally, but that SHOULD be easier to deal with if you have a bill of sale and the original title, signed and dated by both of you in hand.

Also, another pointer, and this might sound like I am just trying to be a jack-ass, but it's an actual danger. Since you do not have the car registered, it can't be insured. Since it isn't insured, it's illegal to drive. If you are stopped for ANY reason, a cop will be well within his rights to arrest you and impound the car

It is ALSO the case that since the car is still legally in the other person's name, if you are stopped or ticketed for any reason, the seller could claim you stole the car (I have seen first hand, in real life, this very scenario occur)

So I would NOT be driving that thing anywhere until you have the registration and title issues sorted out, Otherwise, you are simply inviting a giant hornets nest of problems on yourself OP

>I paid $6200 for the car

whelp

I appreciate your time writing that post out. I never met the seller in person, which is why all this is fucked, and if I just had the bill of sale, I could do the lost title like you said. The car is insured and I have temporary plates for the car so my explanation in being pulled over is that things are in the works and then flash my military ID. You're right about the stolen car thing though. But this is all a moonshot really. I'll do my best to be careful but in the end all this is cathartic
That's the fun of being young and having no responsibilities/debt. If I wasn't spending it on the car I'd be spending it on booze and other random stuff

>6200
>for a 50 year old car
>that he doesn't even legally own

but seriously op, lpg isn't fucking with you, get that shit fixed or it could really fuck you up

So, uh, I have to ask. Have checked or changed spark plugs, coil and wires?

Not familiar with the engine but that's what I'd throw at it next.

Yeah I know. Not much I can do but try the third party tomorrow and get the car fixed up and inspected by Monday. If I can't get that done by Monday then I'm going to get my itinerary changed to flight only and have the car shipped to my parent's place (my dad rebuilt a 68 camaro and is rebuilding a 63 nova, and my next station is a 3 hours drive from home) where it will likely sit for a long time (and await the correct paperwork/engine rebuild)
I'm in need of new plugs but not too badly, have some coming in. Haven't really gotten a good look at the wires (been busy and tired) but I imagine since we cut a ziptie holding the wires away from the engine block, something probably melted, maybe the wire feeding electricity to the rotor.

You do know that a a higher figure for a car like that
Knew a guy who bought a ss for about 7 and it was in worse shape then his plus the guy I knew bought it with some shitty 350 that blew a head gaskets the next month
Op spent a little on the high side for the car but nothing ridiculous
But most of Veeky Forums dosent know shit about classic cars and is just going to scream boomer tax

*that high of a figure

I love the patina on it. Sexy as fuck!

There's only one way to learn how to wrench, and that's by wrenching. OP just bought a bigger POS than he can chew at this point.

file a mechanics lean, costs about $200 to have a company do it. should get title in your name in about a month

THANK U 4 UR CERVIX

also, if you know anyone with a truck, its like $40 a day to rent a uhaul trailer to tow it...

Op is faggot

Hey guys, OP here. Called the titling company today and they said the title is a mess that I can't fix, that I can't register it and that I should just sell it back, so I'm gonna try and sell the car back to the seller (they told me awhile back they'd be willing to buy the car back, if given the chance). Had a good run though, not too torn up about things

>paid $6200 for a car with no title

Yeah yeah. You can memetext just about everything about this project, how I overspent, how I didn't know how to wrench when I bought a really old car in need of repairs, how I fucked up a bunch of stuff on the car because I was oblivious to things... just look at the rest of the thread, it's already been said. But the past 2 months of absolute chaos and lots of progress was probably the most fun I've had literally ever, and I'm so glad I >paid $6200 for a car with no title

There is literally nothing stopping the original seller from claiming you stole his car. You may want to part it out rather than attempting to sell it back to him.

>sell the car back to the seller

Fuck that just get him to sort you out with the right documents man.

and here i thought the sad story might have a happy ending

but i guess real life doesnt have fairytale endings

in real life OP settles down in the suburbs with a stereotypical american wife and a econobox minivan for the kids

I feel you

I don't think you get it, NEVER EVER buy a car with not title unless it is for parts.

OP here, it's been a long day guys, but the title company gave the title a hard look after our call and realized that the title checks out. There's a good chance I can get the paperwork right and the car in my name. This thread is actually a really, really good representation of my time working on the car- lots of haters that still give support, me thinking everything's fucked but still moving forward, it all coming up millhouse in the short term because of things I either didn't know of or overlooked... I'll let this thread die but will update you guys on the results of the next few weeks, even though probably no one here cares

I care, user

dreams do come true

you go millitaryimpalabrowithpoorfinancialsense

Never give up user. Make it the dream mobile

Good luck pal. Wish you the best.