My mom's 20114 Passat 1.8T is on lease and ending soon. Dealer is selling it for $8,500

My mom's 20114 Passat 1.8T is on lease and ending soon. Dealer is selling it for $8,500.

I live alone and have no car but need one. Am I stupid to buy it?

What can I expect 4 years down the line from this car?

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=civic&max_price=7000&condition=10&condition=20&condition=30&condition=40&auto_transmission=2
losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5606111113.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5599008894.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5605800976.html
autoblog.com/buy/2004-Honda-Civic/safety-features/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2014*

Unless you make at least $50000/yr don't bother, buy a cheaper shitbox.

Everything will go to shit once warranty is up

Buy a civic

Well shit. I'm in college and have 25k saved up from work....

Buy a mazda3

Buy a c5 Corvette

Well if I was going to buy a car other than this it'd be something older and cheaper like an old Corolla. Only reason I bring this up is because the car is at around 24k so....

Only the TDIs are worth it. In manual. The dsg requires more fluid replacements than the manual. I'd shut up and buy a civic for

Still sells new for 20000. Doesn't seem like an awful deal I guess. Considering you'd have to wait a few years to do any serious maintenance..

So 9k at once then two years later a few hundred to a thousand,

It's so cheap because when you warranty is up you'll be fucked.

Any civic model you'd recommend? Or should I check the sticky

Any decent one under 5k. Post your local Craigslist

Here you go

These are the conditions I'd prefer. I'm not entirely against manual but I've never had to learn so I ignored those for now.

losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=civic&max_price=7000&condition=10&condition=20&condition=30&condition=40&auto_transmission=2

>Dealer is selling it for $8,500
Don't buy it off the dealer, but it directly from your mum. Just go your place of finance and explain you want to finance the remaining amount that is owed on the car. Works out better for your mom to, this way she won't be hit with an end lease inspection

Yep OP do this. Brother did the exact same thing.

losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5606111113.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5599008894.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5605800976.html

>"it's an automatic"

So buying a car with 120k miles.. is this wise? i know the cost isn't that much but still, is it a good investment?

Uh can someone explain to a bigger newfag than OP why the Civic is so highly recommended?

When it hits 60k the turbo will die and cost $4k to repair.

Mileage is less important than how it was maintained. You've got plenty money so as long as it drives well and shifts properly it's probably fine. Watch chrisfix's or ericthecarguy's video on buying a used car, they're pretty thorough.

>fuel efficient
>well built
>reliable usually and cheap to repair
>god tier manual trans
>good visibility
>lightweight
>no driver aids on some models

It's a troll

>troll
t. summerfag

And how about safety...?

It wont really be a good investment, but neither will any other new car. Assuming you put 50k miles on it, it'll lose the same amount of value as the Passat, relative to its price that is.

Look at the sticky. It's the first car in the top left and it has most of the reasons why it's liked.

autoblog.com/buy/2004-Honda-Civic/safety-features/
tl;dr airbags, great IIHS and NHTSA crash ratings, etc etc

This question may not make sense, but how does one go about checking build quality in terms of safety? Like what factors that people don't talk about should be checked. I've read VWs have more space between the driver and the sides...

>stfu and buy a 15-20+ year old civic with 100,000 more miles instead of 2 year old car for $4500 more

do what said. hell, even ask her to cosign when you finance so you get the credit bump

$8500 is cheap considering they're $24k cars still today, its already mostly depreciated.

They're safe enough.

Don't be a dumbass and crash. Situational awareness goes a long way.

Honda mechanic here. Don't buy any civic from 2005 or older only go 2006 and up the rest have timing belts and the 2001 to 2005 auto transmission will grenade itself. Also recommend manual

What could you be looking at if you buy a old 2000 with bad transmission?

Mine is fine at 172k. It's an 01 so it probably even has an early revision of the trans. Sure some had problems but it was blown out of proportion.

how would you put it into a statistic if you had to guess..

poorfag looking for a first vehicle that doesn't look like a poorfagmobile. I find a bunch of older Passats (99-03) on craigslist priced between $2000-3000

I think they look cool and I want one for a first vehicle. Yes, no? I like the look and they're cheap.

Seems like the right thread to ask this in, anyone have an opinion on the jetta tsi? They look pretty sweet, but I'm a noob

Fuck Volkswagen what are you guys thinking holy fuck.
I'm confused at your question. You would be looking at an old civic with a Known transmission problem

I've always liked em man, can I ask what's so bad about em? I thought they were decent cars

It will shit the bed before 200K trust me.

There's no way to know. People don't go onto the internet to say how great their car has been. They will complain though in a heartbeat. More than half the trans failed before 90k miles. Above that and you're probably fine.

Maintenance heavy. 1.8ts frequently have oil leaks. Double the number of ball joints on the front suspension due to the multilink suspension. Makes it harder to align too. Watch Humblemechanic's video on B5-5.5 passat common failures. If you have an ok job you could probably afford maintenance.

>shitty German engineering.
>consumes oil like a mother dicker
>premature engine failure such as rod knock is practically a dealer installed option
>expensive as fuck to maintain
>plastic water pumps
>poorly constructed automatic transmissions
>Volkswagen

Do I need to continue?

How much would annual maintenance of a VW vs a Civic differ? On average

Nah I get the picture. That's a shame, thanks for the information user, I appreciate it.

There's never a round easy number for things like that.

Is this a serious question?
>civic oil change about 18$
>vw oil change 40-60$
>civic timing belt and water pump at dealership is about 1400$
>vw is upwards of 4,000$
A civic might cost you Just a few hundred in repairs a year a Volkswagen will cost you thousands .

It's literally common sense.

For sure my dude

y so angry user? did abusive uncle drive a VW?

>timing belt and water pump is 1400 at dealer
try 700. 750-1800 for the passat.

Hey thanks for the good info, I see now that a Passat maybe isn't the best choice...

I read the sticky, but I want your opinion, what would you recommend me for a first vehicle that doesn't look like garbage?

What's your style?

Tbh I think any japanese old used car looks....eh

Volvos are nice and some are very reliable

How much can you spend? Beggars can't be choosers if your budget is just 3k. Post your local craigslist.

None of my family drove vw because they are smart. Also my whole family drives manual even my 60 year old mother.

I work at a Honda dealership it's about 1600$ with a valve adjustment. It's 400$ just for the belt and nothing else. try again kiddo. I also work near an Audi dealership so I will ask them tomorrow.

the dealer near me has a special on the timing belt (only) for 329 installed.

So if you haven't asked how do you know that the VW is 4k+

I work in norcal we probably have that special right now too. Not alot of people come in to get timing belts done because even Honda owners are broke as fuck. I know we're having specials on brake replacements and A12 and A13 services for only 240.95$

I really like Honda CRVs and VWs, something that looks like a mix between luxury and utility...

Really as long as it's got 4 doors that's fine. I dislike the looks and handling of boats like crown vics.

American/Chink, doesn't matter to me.

All my older brothers and friends got beaters and ran them into the ground, I kinda want something a little more respectable and don't mind maintenance, but money is tight and nice cars don't come cheap obviously. :c

Post city craigslist, refine if necessary.

Otherwise Volvo, Benz, Lincoln..

There is literally no reason not to buy this car, if there arent a ton of miles on it I would do it.

t. I have had VW's and have never had the major issues elitist faggots on forums like to pretend there are.

He doesn't. He's talking out of his ass. You can get a reman long block for 4k. (5800 - 1800 core charge)

What's the longest you've had one...

becuase volkswagen its fucking german
.> You can get a reman long block for 4k. (5800 - 1800 core charge)

congratulations you just made my point

A timing belt and water pump is not 4k if a long block is 4k. It's probably like 1500.

you're so full of shit nigger

still have my first one 2002 jetta 1.8t

only thing it needed was a clutch @75k and a new downpipe becuase it rusted through (live in ny so salt winter etc)

currently have a 2013 gli as my daily

>1.8T

Don't buy unless your mom took good care of it. 1.8T is always the shit tier engine for passat

Ya my dad instilled his stickler driving habits. Not accelerating too fast, doing regular maintenance, etc..

But the dealer did all the maintenance so it's good

That's pretty uncommon for a jetta though..right?

Nothing has needed change aside from those? (and tires and oils and such)