2017 Toyobaru news

2017 Toyobaru news

>Set to go on sale later this year, the 2017 BRZ’s new look includes a redesigned front bumper and headlights, as well as an aluminum spoiler out back. Beneath the skin there’s also revised dampers and springs, additional reinforcement and a larger rear sway bar. In the engine bay the FA20 2.0L flat-four gets a five horsepower bump for a total of 205.

>Perhaps most notable is the addition of a new Performance Package which will be available early next year. It will include larger Brembo brakes, Sachs suspension and a unique set of black 17-inch wheels. While this might not be enough to satisfy those clamoring for a true high performance BRZ STI, it does seem like a step right in the right direction.

>5 horsepower

this is some cuck-tier shit

where is my turbo

>factory aluminum spoil
>5 horsepower bump
>the 'Performance Pack' adds no power, 1/3 of it black wheels

Come the fuck on Toyota, this is why I'm gonna buy a Fiata

are they going to offer it in orange yet

this. N/A KEKS BTFO!!!

Why can Honda pump out a 250hp 4cyl and Toyota sits on their thumbs trying to figure out how Honda does it, what the actual fuck? 205hp is a god damn joke.

They can do it. Last time I actually bothered looking into all this, tuners were able to get 40-50 more bhp out of that engine JUST from an ECU reflash.

The engine is reliable capable of a much higher output than what Toyota/Subaru sell it at

They won't do it as the big wigs think it would cut into sales of the WRX. Toyota should offer a TRD supercharger for it and extend it to Subaru to offer.

I wish for this to be true, would also accept a smaller engine + turbo.

they should just drop an EZ flat 6 in it 2bh

Probably to pass emissions and get respectable MPG numbers. The torque dip is right in the normal driving range.

But remember Honda sacrificed torque to get those numbers, then had to increase displacement and lower the redline for better driveability.

"More BRZ news to come June 12."

Don't get too hype, this is probably the US version of the tS handling package.

at least we're finally getting toyota 86
>post yfw people who imported just for toyota 86

That's why I am going to buy one of these

>americans
>import

loving every laugh

You know they could just swap badges?

Meanwhile toyobaru has both no hp and no torque with a huge torque dip in the power band

The torque dip WAS confirmed from multiple sources in the company to be for emissions. Still, they could have and should have offered a real performance trim that showcased what the car was actually capable of when not handcuffed to a desk

But it doesn't have VTEC yo.

>Last time I actually bothered looking into all this, tuners were able to get 40-50 more bhp out of that engine JUST from an ECU reflash.
No.

Uh, yes they can?
Do you not know how that stuff works?

Yeah but how much power is one going to be able to get out of these easily?

Why would you not buy one of these for cheaper?

You aren't getting 40hp out of a toyubaru with an ECU reflash for christ's sake. Thats retarded. The torque dip is shit exhaust for the most part. Sorry but your favorite tripfag is way off on this one

show me the 250hp 2 litre na honda engine meeting 2016 emissions regs

The BRZ is actually going to be a subaru now.

Before it did not have a scoop or a wing, and now it at least has a wing.

I always knew you were an idiot.

emissions is horseshit. there are plenty of 100hp/L vehicles out there, then and now. (no honda has ever been 250hp out of a 2L tho that guy is exaggerating). Toyubaru a shit.

not necessarily the toyobaru; but other engines on the market can EASILY get 30 - 40 HP with just a tune.

It's the same engine that's in the 500 Abarth, and those have been tuned to 220-240 hp easily with appreciable impact on reliability. No reason you shouldn't be able to do the same on the Abarth 124

And I wouldn't get the BMW because there is absolutely nothing about that car that I like

Toyota admitted outright the torque dip was for emissions, you have dozens of articles online right now that reference owners getting the ECU tuned to get rid of it. I'll go back and find the article/link because it's been forever since I seriously looked at any of this hsit, but several tuning companies were claiming 40+ hp gains with just an ECU retune on premium gas

Yeah, other engines that are (1) far larger, and/or (2) when a "tune" involves increasing boost (which isn't a tune at all)

LPG is being retarded, don't defend him. You can't "tune" a toyubaru to 100hp/L

>several tuning companies were claiming 40+ hp gains with just an ECU retune on premium gas
It's horseshit dude. Listen to yourself. An ECU reflash won't make the car 100hp/L. Even with new headers (which seem to be most the reason for the torque dip) the car doesn't make close to that power, even at the flywheel.

>emissions is horseshit.
what does that mean? that it doesn't affect power figures? well it does

I've been looking into these, they look like fantastic cars for young people who are looking to step out of their shitty, hand me down 90s or 80s cars. I love the fact that it only weighs 1200kg.

I probably would have bought one by now if it were closer to 170-180kW. The reason being that I wouldn't want to do any major modifications on a brand new car, and I think I'll get sick of 140kW too quickly.

when tuning companies advertise power gains it's basically the max gain, not peak power 2 - peak power 1

Emissions haven't become that more stringent over the last eight years to stop cars from performing at the same level as years past when coupled with advances in technology and tuning. Simple fact is, larger engines are less stressed and more reliable and/or your favorite marque hates you and has to meet CAFE fuel economy standards. "emissions" has jack shit to do with why we don't have sweet sweet N/A engines hardly.

>with appreciable impact on reliability
With NO appreciable impact on reliability, my bad

It could be horseshit man, I stopped following shit with this car, but this same argument came up in a thread awhile back, and the argument at the time, with links, was that several aftermarket tuners had pulled around 40 more hp out of the engine just through tuning, the caveat being it pushed the car over to premium or E85

I never dug that far into it at the time, but nothing about it gave me enough pause to call bullshit either

So how much power are these things actually making from the factory?

>when tuning companies advertise power gains it's basically bullshit flywheel numbers that are never reproduced on a dyno except on FI cars
It not a 100hp/L car at the flywheel even on e85. This is utter nonsense. With full mods, yes. But not with just a reflash. Any of those claims are unsubstantiated. If I'm wrong i'd love for a toyubarufag to show me but if this car was actually 100hp/L no one would rag on it ya know?
About 170whp

everyone is moving over to turbos for a reason user
companies with global ambitions meet global standards

So...you don't want the faster and better handling car for cheaper, with a better interior and less depreciation?

New car smell, or too big? Come on LPG, you're a salesman, why should I trade in my M Roadster for the new Fiat?
CO2 is not a pollutant and fuel consumption standards are not "emissions." Call it CAFE and I'll agree. Two very different reasons for our hobby being slowly destroyed.

Excuse me for being retarded, I don't know much about Toyobaru's, but in the OP it says that the 2016 BRZ is making 200 horsepower? Why is everyone saying it's not making 100hp/L, is difference between at the flywheel and at the wheel or is there something I'm missing?

Is that Performance Package the same as the TRD version in Yurop and Japan?

CO2 is a pollutant as far as car companies are concerned. Your opinion on this is irrelevant, what matters is what rules engine designers are working to as that determines what kind of engines we get.

Modern cars with computer controlled everything can make much bigger gains than ones with ECUs controlling just fuel and spark.
The FA20 is fundamentally an engine with a 12.5:1 CR and the cams to make power over 7000rpm. 200hp is not fanciful. ESPECIALLY on E85.

Cuz...I thought it was the 2.5L impreza engine. I am obviously far mistaken. I must admit I think the car is sexy as fuck but utter shit cuz slow.

So rewind, its a 100hp/L engine, but you aren't getting 40+hp from a tune.
CO2 is only a pollutant in yurope. its not in america, or the real world. just like nitrogen. fuel efficiency and "emissions" are two separate issues.
25% power increase on E85 with no boost? sauce?

I'm just drunk and here to shitpost in all toyubaru threads

>It not a 100hp/L car at the flywheel even on e85. This is utter nonsense. With full mods, yes. But not with just a reflash. Any of those claims are unsubstantiated. If I'm wrong i'd love for a toyubarufag to show me but if this car was actually 100hp/L no one would rag on it ya know?

Granted I feel like most people I run into shitting on it are just mad that "it wasn't setup/didn't have XXX from the factory". They had some preconceived idea of what the car should be, and are just angry it isn't that.

If the tuning numbers are bullshit, then they are bullshit, I'll be the first to admit my mistake for perpetuating it. Like I said, the previous arguments didn't raise my eyebrow enough to dig that far into it. Obviously this car has....enthusiastic fans from time to time

Nothing against the M man if that's what floats your boat. I test drove one to cross shop my SLK when I bought it a decade ago, and didn't like it then. Have driven several newer models since, and none of them have ever excited me that much. Granted few BMW's ever have.

If I do buy a 124 Abarth new, with the options I want, it will run me about 34,000. Depreciation is irrelevant because if I buy it new, I'll keep it for 15-20 years. Interior is debatable, see pic related, because I think that is gorgeous. Also, if I get the 124, I will start modifying it once I get about 10-20K miles on it, and that's a ballgame that will be far more fun with the Fiat vs the BMW

>I must admit I think the car is sexy as fuck but utter shit cuz slow.
I reckon it would be a bit of a god machine if you slapped a turbo on it though

Guy at my local cars and coffee has one

Unf

>CO2 is only a pollutant in yurope
Yes and EU regulations influence engine design. Doesn't matter if you or I think climate change is bs, we don't make the rules. Get over it.
>25% power increase on E85 with no boost? sauce?
You do know E85 is an oxygenated fuel? hence the lower AFR? Well that's why it can make more power. It brings it's own oxygen. So yes it's a bit like boost.

meh, I thought it was a 2.5L. which is actually worse in reality as if the engine is already 100hp/L all you can do is fix that torque dip. it's not a race car. as i said shitposting. maybe that 40hp is during that power dip? i doubt its peak. that would be race car N/A levels. idk?
>Nothing against the M man if that's what floats your boat.
I highly doubt the interior is better. This was a 55k base car a decade ago. Did you actually drive an "M"? The base cars are fucking shite. Its an e46 M3 engine in a miata man.
> Depreciation is irrelevant
Well yeah cuz its 34k. A non "M" z4 is like 70k. I'm just lost here on the new vs used I guess? I have a used roadster and I'm eying the fiata as a DD but I just doubt it will ever be as fun.
>You do know E85 is an oxygenated fuel?
bahahaha no. absolutely fucking not. as a matter of fact, I can't think of a single N/A application alcohol performs better than gasoline unless your timing advance is insane
>Yes and EU regulations influence engine design.
Thank god for the...GT500?

doesn't matter what you say it doesn't change the molecular stucture of ethanol lmfao

it has a lower energy density and during combustion the -OH doesn't produce more energy? from what I've seen the only reason it is actually useful is its absurd potential to resist preignition.

It is not "self oxygenating." Thats what fucking rocket fuel is. You know, shit that burns in a vacuum?

Look I'm not claiming I'm not retarded but you are way off here bro

love this car the way it is, but it would be infinitely better with a tarbo. They should offer a separate tier of performance differentiated by the power train like ford does with the mustang. That'll never happen though.

I used that same wrap on my headers, shits more itchy then asbestos and steel wool condoms

Also some ausfag on here has one.

It just kills me to think you have to make the car the factory should have. I wonder what resale is like to the fanboys? I know some of the superchargers come with a warranty to replace your factory that you void but outside of jackson racing they seem sketchy and a hassle

I never said it was "self oxygenating" I said it contains oxygen.
If you can't see how that matters then fine. Other people reading this can.

Super or turbo charge for an 86?

It already is 100hp/L though. 200hp out of 2.0L.

And containing oxygen matters for...muh emissions?
Come on, what good is "being oxygenated"
Yeah I agree I'm retarded. Sorry man. DESU just makes the car that much more maxed out tho but yes I'm an ass and not afraid to admit it.

I'll consider explaining it after you've sobered up.

Will that before or after you explain corn subsidies to me? Don't fall for the sheeple propaganda buddy. And if you have a real reason why an -OH on the end of a hydrocarbon chain matters at fucking all (which doesn't simply turn into H20), please, let me know.

I may be drunk but I didn't fail o chem a decade ago

I saw Delicious Tuning had pulled 200whp out of a bone stock one running E85.

oh god you actually think the oxygenation of the alcohol chain overcomes the lower energy density compared to gasoline. it doesn't. knock my brother, knock. and outside of FI, it don't matter, assuming we are speaking ETHANOL and not METHANOL.

Dude, it's still shit. Which is proof that the car has a horrible intake and exhaust system, which 5 minutes on a frs/brz forum will tell you

Not sure I understand you here.
>user says e85 won't make 200 who
>other user mentions company that has managed just that
>it's shit user

Dafuq

Lots of companies have kits, 4-6 grand, plus installation.

I believe edelbrock even has a 3yr 30k mile power train warranty for anyone who has their kit installed at a licensed shop.

No the point was it makes 200 whp on a dyno with a normal powerband. This shit is fucked. Its like saying a diesel truck or a jet engine make the same power at their peak. Mind you the tune makes up for a lot of the bullshit but there is zero reason for a power dip...ever.

Can they not drop the 2.0 DOHC or the 2.5 from the WRX in one of these?

Real talk:
Have you ever made a warranty claim?
What is your mileage?
What have you spent drivetrain "out of warranty"?

just put a fuCKING TURBO ON IT ALREADY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Besides paint issue, nothing aftermarket. My car is stock currently.

What was your paint claim?

I swear I wish all this shit was anodized aluminum lol

Might be headers. The stock ones are restrictive as all hell.

Just had paint peeling on the front fascia top where the little rubber gasket is that goes between the fascia and the hood. You'd only see it if you were looking into the panel gap.

It wasn't noticeable but they fixed it for fear it was eventually going to peel down the front of the car if left unchecked. Had something to do with the adhesion method they used at the factory not sticking right.

Have ~1700 miles on it currently,

>Toyota makes factory turbo option
>Turbo option $30k
>All McPaycheck wagecucks cry
>"Waaaah too expensive, bus pass is cheaper!"

>flywheel HP

wait a moment thats a nd miata wtf

not sure if bait

oh shit i just read the wiki sorry i am a baka

>>Turbo option $30k
>mfw the base model is €30k already which is already more than what you'd cry about for a turbo version

Why wouldn't you get the Z4 3.0si? It's superior in almost every way.

>a five horsepower bump for a total of 205

Except for being reliable and fun to drive

I just want the "new model" to make dealerships lower the RIDICULOUS prices on the old ones.

But is the torque dip gone?

'16 86 with a noice discount and a new ECU > '17 86

There's 3 year old base spec GT86s at 30,000 km that have sat at the dealerships for a year and they're still trying to get €22k for them. A grand total of 575 BRZs were registered in Germany up until now.

So a used BRZ will always cost twice Miata money here in Germany? Fuck that, I'm done with this car.

>Longpost tripshit
Can you continue talking out of your ass? It's entertaining.

>performance upgrade
>brembo
>5hp bump
Im so glad i have these brembos to help me stop this car that still can't even make 200hp at the wheels!

The meme continues

Except the new one has a shitload of new engine parts, not just a chip tune.

Which sucks, since I was going to buy one as a cheap beater and my wife is now all "Well you can't buy a 2016 if the new one has upgraded hard parts, that would just be stupid."

Only because the Miatas you're looking at are a lot older. If you're looking at similarly new Miatas with the same mileage with the 2l engine, the price isn't all that much off. Worth the extra bit of power, 2 extra seats for storage space and fixed roof. Only time will tell how the value of BRZs and GT86s will develop with age.

Why were you ever interested in it? Nothing about it screams performance at all. It's a two door econobox marketed towards college freshman who know nothing about vehicles.

>just slap a turbo on it bro

Just slap a turbo on literally anything, there are tons of better cars out there than this meme machine.

>It's an user is upset that a 200hp Toyota is faster than their 1992 Buick episode

It's you, you are all the user.

What's so terrible about it except the lack of power? Does the steering not feel good, are the brakes bad, is the ride rubbish, does the weight distribution not meet your preferences?

What would someone who does know things about vehicles get if he wanted an affordable, relatively lightweight car that handles nicely and isn't older than 5 years.

A Miata? Really? Have the Veeky Forums memes come full fucking circle?

I found the brakes on the BRZ to be terrible, but the car I drove to the dealer in has carbon ceramics, so...

>what is a bmw z
Power, handling, interior, etc.

why do you care what your wife says
buy her a bus ticket if she doesn't like it

I do like the toyota GT86, but it's not a exciting car for today standards like the AE86 was back in the day.
For the money i do belive the MX5 is a better value, and i would even go for the 1.5, because it's not supposed to be fast anyway, just a fun light drivers car

>Nothing about it screams performance at all.
Not the sub-3000lbs weight in spite of modern safety features?
Not the 50/50 weight distribution in a FR chassis?
Not the 100hp/liter screaming NA engine?
Some people buy fun cars to do things other than go fast in a line. It's fine if that's not your thing, but don't act like the 86 is a huge failure because you aren't its target customer.