/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Absolutely No Shilling Edition.

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/LevelStreaming/
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=floor((x - 22.5)/45) * 45
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for disgusting OP

second for not giving a fuck about your opinion

Please tell me, why do people who make sprites make them pixelated, when they also could give them smooth lines like a regular drawing?

I just don't get it... It can't be just nostalgia.

>Please tell me, why do people who make sprites make them pixelated, when they also could give them smooth lines like a regular drawing?
You're clearly a nodev.

This doesn't answer my question, smartass.
Your sprite doesn't have to have pixels to give it a transparent background, does it?

For me the reasons are threefold:

1. I'm imitating what I like the looks of/nostalgia

2. An endgame/ten years from now goal for me is Geneais and Sega CD home brew, so experience working within those limitations is useful to me

3. Not having to draw faces and hands makes my shit look better because I'm ass at drawing faces and hands.

It's easier.

Not even being lazy, having large resolution art balloons the scope of your development time, and makes certain things straight up impossible. At that point you might as well go 3D.

Tried to make AI and it doesn't work for some reason. I calculate where to go according to the player's direction. I use this equation:

x = player's direction in degrees

((x - 22.5) div 45) * 45

This should give me the closest 45 degree angle. The angle is the direction the enemy will move. So if the enemy is right above me then my direction is 270 degrees. If I plug it in then the enemy will move in the direction 270 (down).

But sometimes the equation doesn't work and I don't know why. I just need a simple chase algorithm.

Any LOVE2D aficionados here? I'm just starting out with it and need some help with their built-in particle systems. Is there a way to make the particles positions relative to world space rather than local space so they don't offset and rotate with the emitter? Have a wallpaper in return.

It doesn't make it easier at all. Especially when the pixel sprites are already so detailed that could be just a regular drawing, apart from the pixels.

What's the best engine for big-huge open world maps? Preferably 3d and capable of facial animations.

unreal and cryengine are basically your only choice

Gamebryo

:)

Sorry I assumed you were talking low-res, since you didn't specify.

For higher res shit, since they're really going against the grain, I can only imagine it's they like the aesthetic.

2 minutes in going strong check out my protagonist will keep you posted if I ever work on this again.

>using LOVE2D

a* can be a simple chase algorithm

They call it Gamebryo because you can make abortions with it!!!

/r/ing the name of that hack'n'slash game with really cool combat a dev from aggydaggy made. It was stylised and cartoonish combat, and recently I think the same guy worked on a Space Jam game with that girl that dashed and combo'd a big robot.

Poorly memed. kill you are self

Is unreal actually good at large, open world maps?

It's pretty decent at it. I'm sure it has some limitations but I don't know what they are as I'm not using it. It's called World Composition (a specific use of their Level Streaming functionality)

docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/LevelStreaming/

Interesting.

Sadly, I'm a long ways from that right now.

>ice sliding levels
s t o p
t
o
p

WITH PUSHBLOCKS :^)

s t o p
t o p s
o p s t
p s t o

explain further.

I used Lua and it is so frustrating there is no standard way of doing things like Python.

hey /agdg/ I wanna write my own video game engine what do I need to know?

What are some good, simple 2D options besides, Gamemaker, Unity, or RPG Maker? I need to know since everytime I ask what's best for gamedev everyone replies Gamemaker.

Inject heroine into your eyeball

You need to know that you will never finish your game.

if you have to ask what engine you should be using, the answer is ALWAYS game maker

install it and check out the kiteboy demo.

Forgot to update my shit. One more entry for Game Maker!

Risk of Rain: Game Maker
Deadbolt: Game Maker
Cash_Out: Game Maker
Cavern Kings: Game Maker
Spaceman Sparkles: Game Maker
Uncanny Valley: Game Maker
Pixel Star: Game Maker
VA-11_HALL-A: GameMaker

Skyrogue: Unity
Catmouth Island: Unity
Megabyte Punch: Unity
Xenoraptor: Unity
Stormworm+: Unity

Vagante: C++
Lethal League: C++

Painter's Guild: Flash
Restricted RPS: Flash

Aviary Attorney: Construct 2
Dreaming Sarah: Construct 2

Vampire of the Sands: Java

Aerannis: LÖVE

No underscore for VA-11 HALL-A, mate.

Godot, Löve, Pygame, Monogame and, of course, yours.

Are you the dev of that game? Haven't seen that in a while, and I'm wondering what has happened to the project.

Why don't people like Java or Lua?

Java is permanently "slow", despite massive improvements to both the language itself and also people's computers since 2004.

Dunno about lua. It strikes me as a janky basement project rather than a proper language.

>get idea for totally doable game
>get really excited
>work on game
>life has purpose
>learn similar game already exists
>sigh

>Are you letodev
No m8 I just like posting ancient games. Seeing how far agdg as a whole has come makes me feel less depressed.

I'm not going to that
I'm okay with that, I'm doing for the purpose of learning. If you have any advice or anything you willing to share I'm all ears.

Because Löve is not a real engine. It's basically just a program written in C++ with the Box2D library included which can read your scripts written in Lua, thus it's not as visual as the other engines. Other than that, Lua just have a butt ugly syntax in my opinion (I'm used to semicolons and curly braces too much), not to mention that it has the most retarded approach to OOP. Even JavaScript could handle that shit pretty fine and simple.

However I have to admit, I don't get the Java hate. The only thing I have against Java is, well, Java itself. That you have to install it before it can run your shit. However the same goes for C# and .Net.

>Seeing how far agdg as a whole has come
Been here since these threads were on /v/. They've gotten exponentially worse, despite some of us actually become yesdevs.

>They've gotten exponentially worse
Please, explain. I'm only here since February, and since the circumcision and dog posting ended, it has become a pretty comfy place to hang out.

If you are serious then you need to pick a programming language first. C++ is commonly used for stuff like engines but lacks "handholding". If you wanna start with something easier you can pick up Java, it's easy to learn, teaches you the basics of object-oriented-programming(OOP) and there are like millions of tutorials, resources and libraries out there. It's slow(ish) and verbose though, so it's mostly used for apps and pixelshit.

Don't panic, it doesn't really matter which language you pick because they are all similar to each other and after you learned your first language, it'll be way easier to learn a new one.

After you picked your language, learn by practice: do tutorials, make text based games and little apps. If you are confident in your skills, pick a main project and get working.

>They've gotten exponentially worse,
Yeah remember when 1/3 of the threads where source-shitposting and paranoia? Gud times.

I finally took some time to figure out how UMG works. I definitely never should have written any HUD code and used UMG all along, but it's too late now to change the old stuff. All my new stuff will be in UMG though, as almost all of the in-game HUD-based UIs are almost done already anyway.

Escape opens up the menu, unless you're currently in an in-game menu already. In that case, it "pops" you one level up. So if you're talking to an NPC, it exits talking. If you're selling something to a shop, it brings you back to the main shop menu (and then escaping again would exit the shop). In the future I'll add more ways to easily exit dialog, so as adding hotkeys to each dialog choice, and maybe just clicking on empty space to exit.

Tomorrow I will make the save, load, and options buttons do stuff. I already have quicksave and autosave, so I just need an interface to choose files from the direction. I'll see what I can play around with for the options menu (I want to figure out how to do a foliage slider).

Remember to join the lewd jam!

Grenades are now working.
It's nice to have the explosion logic done, since i can now also relatively easily add mines and other stuff like that

>since i can now also relatively easily add mines and other stuff like that
Add mines then let me throw them likes frisbees

w-whats wrong with sliding ice block levels??

Some lewd game ideas I have, can't pick one so maybe you guys can use some.
>sidescroller where powerups give you lewd costumes (can be a platformer or a metroidvania)
>fighting game with cloth damage
>pachinko where the prices are lewd pictures
>match 3 where matching 3 means performing lewd action on the anime girl on the side of the screen

Question 1: DevFriends, I keep hearing about "message passing" in OOP informational material when it comes to Objects. I am a bit newb to classes - can anyone tell me what this magical "message passing" is in understandable terms.

Question 2: How should I structure my code in the game? As I have observed from the OOP vs Procedural brawls in here, it seems that separate branches should have nothing to do with each other and should not have dependancies between each other. So, how should the game's internal logic function then? What even is a dependancy?

Everything. They're trial and error puzzles that come down to simply entering the right inputs. They're not enjoyable when you're doing them and when you finish it's more a "thank god that's over" feeling than one of accomplishment.
Especially fuck having the puzzle take up far more than a screen's worth of size so you have to remember where every dot of land lines up.

The only time I've enjoyed sliding ice puzzles was in the Etrian Odessy games and that's because they're first person dungeon crawlers and you draw your own map, so moving around on the ice is actually meaningful and dangerous.

don't listen to functional autists shitposting.
OOP is great for games.

I would but im not good at art

I don't really care about which is better. I just made myself a challenge to code a small game entirely in OOP to learn and experience the OOP paradigm.

I know you're coding and not using BP, but do you know how one might condense all items in an array to just one listing per object type and make a count?

> They're trial and error puzzles that come down to simply entering the right inputs

What's wrong with trial and error?

Isn't that how you learn games? Isn't that how you learn stuff?

Alright ,thanks.I'll start making a list of things to write , do you know any good tutorials?

To be honest, I don't understand this whole OOP pro and contra argument.

I have an enemy. Said enemy has an X and Y position. Said enemy has a logic how he changes those values. Thus I have an enemy object, and I call it's logic function in the game loop. It feels so natural to use objects for this.

I'm really interested: how else could it be done?

I've been here since the magicians age, and there have been phases. Steam raids, source-posting etc. But things are roughly the same.

Googs is a constant, we're only missing one or two really good devs who only show up a few times, which is what happened in the past.

Anyone know what happened to kobolddev?

You mean like combining 2 individual health potions into a stack of two health potions? I would do that whenever you add a new item to the array. The array would store a pair/struct/whatever, consisting of an int and the object. If the object you're adding already exists in the array, just increase the count by 1. Then you never have to convert anything.

>What's wrong with trial and error?
Badly done trial and error feels like you're just mashing a keyboard until the right answer comes out. To compare it to how it's used in mathematics, you already know how to do the math and get the answer, you just have to repeat the same thing over and over again until it works. It's annoying, boring repetition.

>Isn't that how you learn games? Isn't that how you learn stuff?
While it had it's own problems, The Witness did a very good job tutorializing new mechanics so that learning new stuff wasn't guess and check at all but rather your ability to understand how new mechanics worked after it gave you a few simple examples.

Ice slide puzzles are never fun, they've been done to death in hundreds of games and they are never interesting or original.

I thought of that, and it seems easier, but I thought it might be better to error check each time the inventory is refreshed

I´m a graphic designer and know some javascript. Will learning C++ take a lifetime?

who are those one or two good devs

there is nothing wrong with trial and error my friend
when the puzzle takes up more than a screen's worth of size, and its clearly too difficult to plow your way through with brute force, the solution is to study it carefully, draw it on graphing paper or memorize it as you learn each step one by one

the more difficult the puzzle, the more satisfying the solution
especially when its a side quest area with extra good rewards

its only 2016 babbies that want every puzzle to be "Here a key, heres a door, now we're going to have a gameplay interruption where we zoom in on the key and door and then a companion pops up and tells you to use the key on the door"
In the golden age of video games, you used a paper and pencil and got gud

The Witness is a good example of how to seamlessly teach mechanics. There are many other games that do this well. But a lot of good games in the past also relied on trial and error.

I feel like that every time my demo is just SotC 2D.

Well, I remember the time when the Xenoraptor dev posted and everyone lost their shit because of the godly amount of progress.

We need more of that.

>the more difficult the puzzle, the more satisfying the solution
But slide puzzles are not difficult. They don't take any critical thinking and they certainly can be brute forced by simply trying every reasonable options.

Also the first part of that webm made me super mad, "Gotcha!" moments are in my opinion horrendous game design and feel like total shit when players encounter them. It's like if someone on the street came up to you and offered you a dollar, then shot you for taking it and goes "HAH, gotcha! Shouldn't have taken that dollar you fucking idiot!".
Please don't ever, EVER randomly punish players for doing something 'wrong' when they would have had no idea that their action would be 'wrong'.

>What even is a dependency?
When Class B requires Class A to function, then B is dependent on A. That probably doesn't sound too bad but what happens is that the more complex your code gets the more dependencies you have, so you eventually end up in a situation where dozens of classes are all dependent on each other and shit like circular dependencies(class A requires class B and class B requires class A) appear. This kinda shits on the entire point of OOP(re-usability), however it's hard to avoid in a game.

The thing is, OOP is a lot more than just classes and objects. If it were just that then OOP books wouldn't have hundreds of pages.

>They don't take any critical thinking and they certainly can be brute forced by simply trying every reasonable options.

30 moves with 4 directions each
thats 4^30 permutations to brute force it

>"HAH, gotcha!
>Please don't ever, EVER randomly punish players for doing something 'wrong' when they would have had no idea that their action would be 'wrong'.

their only punishment is being returned to the beginning of the maze, so you can't brute force it trivially
theres no cost in resources, you can try it as many times as you like. But you can't solve the puzzle by just brute forcing reasonable options, only by memorization or analysis.

you've got some kind of aversion to puzzles that actually ask their players to apply themselves instead of just be casual guided tours painted to look like a puzzle, and thats exactly whats wrong with modern game design

How many babies got on google to get past something this simple? And now nintendo will refrain from ever putting anything remotely intellectually stimulating into their games ever again

So your implying that I'm using OOP all wrong? I'm really curious, because I've not felt the need for anything more complex yet.

Started making environment assets and added a poorly drawn Stripper.
I did finish all my charcter icons though, so small victories.
How about that carpet though... classy amirite?

The animal room in Riven is a puzzle that asks players to apply themselves. Pushing blocks on ice is setting the bar pretty low.

It looks like a magic eye picture.

y-yeah, it's the carpet I'm looking at...

Assuming by div you mean int div (flooring), looks alright at a glance. The gif looks like the angle is being measured with right being 0, while the direction moving is being measured with up being zero. Either that or it's lagging behind (not being updated until after moving?). Hard to tell.

its a time tested classic design

>you've got some kind of aversion to puzzles that actually ask their players to apply themselves instead of just be casual guided tours painted to look like a puzzle, and that's exactly whats wrong with modern game design
No, I just don't like ice puzzles and being punished for taking actions that the player had no idea if they were right or wrong. The puzzle you posted is actually one I really enjoyed.

>their only punishment is being returned to the beginning of the maze, so you can't brute force it trivially
I was talking more as general advice and not particularly about that room. It's still stupid, to 'punish' the player for going left when they could not see that far left (Wasting time is still a mild punishment). A better example for what I was advising you to never do would be say, a tile that is visually no different from the rest of the floor, but instakills you if you step on it. That's what I meant by "gotcha bullshit"

Darken the carpet a bit, I'm getting cataracts.

Tripper than the final level of Hotline Miami 2

the smart player would just scout ahead by taking any path he can to explore the 4 corners and get them onscreen. You could literally just printscreen 8 times in the corners/sides and assemble them in paint

Very much a beginner gamedev, trying to figure out the state machine for a turn-based RPG.

With an action game, it's just a pack of objects, each with their own state machine, interacting with each other in real time, right? And, with an RPG, that's still pretty much right, the states just being stuff like "In Character X Command Menu" -> "Targeting" -> "Attack," right?

Am I at all on the right track here?

Nothing you'll ever come up with is truly unique, so do it WELL and stop giving a shit. Ideas don't make a game, hard work and commitment to making an entertaining product of it do.

>cRPG with non-binary gender choices
just think of the controversy and meme cash

I have no idea how your code looks but the main characteristics of OOP are actually Abstraction, Encapsulation, Inheritance and Polymorphism, and not 'classes, objects and shit'.
If you read up on those concepts you'll be surprised how complex OOP actually is.

Watch your webM again. There was no 'safe' way to explore the far left edge of that ice field, all of them were blind slides of faith. Even when he went back again and went to the right, a first time player would not know that wall is there to catch them.

sounds about right

Please help me choose one of these ideas. Or suggest a better one if you think they're all shit.

again here. I was wrong. It isn't right. It's always 45 degrees too low.
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=floor((x - 22.5)/45) * 45

Use x + 22.5 instead.

>Or suggest a better one if you think they're all shit.
Political Espionage game in a low tech fantasy setting where you have to seduce the political rivals of your organization to further your rise to power.
Gameplay elements involve researching your targets and gathering information on their likes and dislikes so you can dress and act accordingly.

>downloaded a book on lua and told myself that I'll start learning LOVE today
>tfw learning japanese and modding oblivion instead
How did it even come to this, my famalams.

I think all the ideas are fine. However don't forget that we are talking about a jam here, so your scope should be small. With that said, the match 3 and the pachinko ones seems to be the most finishable. A fighting game would also work, but that might take many time because of the assets.

Match 3, it's just a jam nigga.