/ccg/ Classic Car General

/ccg/
>Post classic cars
>Blogpost about your vehicle
>Post classic feels

25 years and older is a "Classic" but it needs more than age, it needs a certain something to make it a classic. (Older than 1980 is definitely classic?)

AMC Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5603794076.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3p9g3JCZv1E
youtube.com/watch?v=n_xsFa-QKLg
mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/3572/running-with-straight-water-as-coolant-in-the-summer-is-it-fine
youtube.com/watch?v=IZUXcJf_8Lc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any love for Cougars?

Tuning the carb today, and also talking to my mechanic about cannibalizing my 4 speed overdrive onto this thing since it has a shitty 3 speed

Oh hell yes. Always a pleasant surprise to see one cruising down the road.

So /ccg/ it looks like my assumptions were correct.There is about a 90% chance I am staying on Long Island for a few more years. So with that, my girlfriend is gonna get her first car here instead of there. Surprisingly, she absolutely fell completely in love with this thing. What do you guys think about it? I don't know much about flatheads other than you need to change the oil a lot and they are pretty reliable.

longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5603794076.html

I might check it out today so is there anything specific about these that I should look out for?

I got a manual Trans for my Duster last week.

Only need a Clutch, Tunnel and a Ball stud
Oh and time ofc :(

I like the early 70s ones more than the early 70s Mustangs desu. The ass is glory.

From back when I was DD-ing that Cadillac.

okay Veeky Forums I live in Europe and I was just able to find a 74 dodge monaco which is kinda my dream car. Its cheap but also fucking dead. Don't have pics or decent info I can provide but generally speaking, have any of you ever restored a car before? Would it be a good idea? How much time and money it'd cost me?

I built pic related a few years back; did everything but the paint; sold it before the paint work was done, though, to move to Texas.

I'm probably going to do a similar 440 build for my new Imperial.

Money is what it will cost. I know on this side of the pond, a full restoration is pricey enough and there is no easy way to put a dollar figure on it. Pics would help of course because all the yurops I have spoken too see a spot of rust and consider the car trashed whereas rust is a right of passage in the Midwest. Engine and trans wise, its fairly simple and relatively cheap but again, dont know about euro restoration pricing.

>redoing the engine
>leaving the shitty ac untouched

Why?

That thing sits pretty sweet
>stance nayshun

>get gas for corvair
>come out of sheetz
>first gen, unrestored Mustang parked at pump on the other side

>Feeling the coincidence because two hours earlier i watched an old Chevy salesman training video on selling points of the Corvair over the mustang.

Anyway my PCV just blows oily smoke all over the air cleaner

Jay Leno said the same thing was happening to him in his Yenko Stinger video
So i bought pic related to put on the PCV plumbing.
Would this stop potential oil consumption?

Question 2: is there a way to measure wheel size other than knowing what wheel is on the car?

Money will solve anything.
But if you wrench it back to life you'll love it even more.

Some of the old clunkers laying around the family shop.

Holy shit what a view

Accidentally born in paradise.

Coloradus or alaksa?

Been thinking of just buying some cheap land in southern Alaksa and be a woodperson

jelly

This looks familiar, it's that one river valley in canada right? Forget the name but it's on my list of places to road trip to.

Canada. Chilliwack River Valley to be specific, Fraser Valley in general. The land of camping, fishing, offroading, abandoned mine exploration, and complete disregard for gun control laws.

Noice m8

Guns cars and nature

muh dick

The holy trinity.

>guns
>canada

are you retarded

Oh boy, new thread.

Time to post high res corinthian leather.

Back from the shop, tuned the carb up and it runs like a dream now. Muscle car mech advised me not to waste time and money going to a 700r tranny and just keep the turbohydro and maybe later go to a 5 speed...Thoughts?

Are you?

he's right on the 700r4. they aren't that good, but a 4l60 is. 5 speed, not so much if you are getting a T5. at that point it is better to just get a regular 4 speed or a T56

Apparently I have a solid state fan that makes lots of noise at highway speeds so when I thought I was reving my engine to high it was actually just the fan, I guess the 3 speed isn't too bad.

The mechanic also showed me how to disconnect my egr and another power robbing air hose, plugged them up, then reconnected them to make it look legal top kek

What was the deal with that corinthian leather? Wasn't it just a marketing thing or something?

yeah hat is referred to as a smog delete. good shit, get some juice back. what state are you in? also do you know your rear gear ratio?

200% marketing bs

>SOFT
>CORINTHIAN
>LEATHER

It's marketing, corinthian leather doesn't exist.
Ricardo Moltaban just made it sound cool so they rolled with it.
My Cordoba has puke green fabric seats though.

youtube.com/watch?v=3p9g3JCZv1E

vid related

Gotta love GM

I'm in california and no I don't know what the ratio is I just bought the car a month ago and was planning on swapping in my 700r4 from my firebird.

>Cordoba
>GM
Bruv...

Oh man hope you find a good friendly smog guy. Shit sucks. And if you have your Vin number I am sure you can decode it to find out. Do you plan on hopping the motor up much?

Whoops, I meant Chrysler. Probably typed GM because I was just reading up on the Cadillac Cimarron.

A 4 speed is better for DDing if you dont plan on racing. But overall, a regeared rearend on a 3spd will be cheaper and easier.

Cimarron is one of those things that it's best if we forgot tbqh

He means auto though, and a r4 is not that great. He should probably stick with the th350

Comet buddy says his front disc brake conversion kit is arriving in the mail this weekend, we'll be doing the job on the side of the road, gonna be a gong show, can't wait.

Oh you are absolutely correct. I found out about it a few years back and just couldn't believe it was actually real.

What's so bad about that Cimarron other than it looking pretty bad?

Check what tires the wheel has on it?

I love old Chrysler marketing BS. In this video, they praise the pushbutton transmission selector and wraparound front windshield for being conventional, yet call the Lincoln's suicide doors outdated.

youtube.com/watch?v=n_xsFa-QKLg

It was a rebadged Chevrolet cavalier from the 80s that was plagued with horrible overheating, electrical failures and was the reason a lot of people stopped buying cadillac.

Yeah they're truly terrible. I drove one at the auto auction and it was god awful

I have the stock smog components in the garage it passed smog in march. It's a newly built 350 with custom heads, pistons, rockers, and a light cam. Supposedly it's making a little over 400 at the crank and I wanna figure out how to get the most of that to the wheels

For starters, luxury and the J Platform should have never been combined. The Cimarron was just a rebadge of the Sunbird, Cavalier, and etc. It was slow, awful to drive, ugly, unreliable, more expensive than it should've been, and the President of GM didn't even want to make it. Overall, it was something that should've never the Cadillac name on it.

man that looks like gods country. Want t o v i s i t

Should I get the as cast or the TTD style?

If I got the as cast I could also bead blast and powdercoat them in that dull gold to look like the coating they used on magnesium wheels in the 60s

Maybe y'all can help me. I want to buy a restored classic to dd. Assume body size will be about early to mid 70's camaro or monte carlo. The most common drive train is a 350/th350 combo and i want to put in 2.79 gears in the rear for DAT MPG. What should i expect? Im looking more for cruising at 70mph on the highway without roaring the engine.

ccg I've taken apart my 350 (down to the heads) and put it back together and now my car is overheating and I'm not sure why. Any ideas?

Do not daily old cars.

you should expect like 14 or 15 mpg and really slow acceleration. if it is tuned lean for hwy use and really tuned right, you might be able to get high teens.

this

the ones on the left.

Most early 70s had rear end gears like that already. IDK what your price range is but I'd look at 73/74 Novas, you can backdate the bumpers to make it look much better, they are one of the last decent values for that era (there's also the Buick Apollo and Pontiac Acadian). If you can go Mopar check out Darts and Valiants. Buying an already restored car is a crap shoot if you don't know what you are looking at, I would be extremely careful.

Thermostat upside down? Wrong gasket somewhere? Water pump belt not tensioned?

Nonsense, 0 reason not to

Im looking at classic car dealerships, looking specifically for non number matching engines (usually newer crates). I would love a dart, but that mopar tax, and unless its a 60's nova, not really my style.

Anything else i can do to increase mpg? Im coming from a gutless V6 truck that gets 13, so 14-15 is already an improvement.

did you put your water pump on right? are the passages clogged?

puss-fag

The thermostat was what I'm thinking. I'm waiting for it to cool down outside before I start working. The gasket I had on the thermostat ripped but it's not leaking, could that cause overheating?

remove weight from the interior, aftermarket TBI fuel injection.

I honestly didn't take out the water pump or take off the belt. Only the belt to the alternator (no AC either)

Id rather DD a classic and have to deal with mechanical bugs rather than more computer and plastic BS

tru

thermostat sounds about right then.

Just got news that I'm going on a trip to the BMW Museum in Munich in a few weeks.

I gotta remember to bring a good camera and take pics for /ccg/.

>HofbrÀuhaus here I come

You don't belong here.

I will check it out. Thanks for the feedback

That's the Fucking Carolin, I've been there.

Me and a buddy spent 7 hours underground exploring the entire thing, it was epic. We camped there overnight.

Texada has some great mines too but it's pretty far from you.

Pic related, my bike in front of a deceptively large crushing facility.

Oh yeah, not intending to derail the thread, so here's my classic. 1986 tercel with only 120k KM's.

Soon I'm going to be replacing the radiator and all the linkage assembly.

I was pricing redoing veneers for the Imperial and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Initially, I considered Carpathian Elm to match the clock in my living room and because it has a beautiful burl, but I could completely rebuild the 440 for that price.

Anyone have experience in this field?

Sure is, good eye! Took me close to a total of 10 hours in several trips to explore the entire mine. I read on the New Carolin Gold website that there's about 10.5 km of tunnels inside the mountain. I bet you remember the cavern in pic related.

I put together a pretty extensive tour of Carolin Mine and the 100 year old Emancipation Mine on the other side of the mountain on /out/, you may wanna check it out:

Wow I've seen your posts on UER, I've got an account on there as well.
Small world. I'll post from that /out/ thread from here on out I don't want to derail this Classic Cars thread.

Took this picture right after I bent my frame on the road to Emancipation Mine last weekend. Good times, poor truck.

Ok i changed the thermostat gasket (i sanded down the area of the old gasket) and the thermostat is in the correct position and now its runnning at 200-220 with only water. is that too high still?

Do Kadetts count as classical?

a little high, but much more manageable. what is the condition of your radiator? the hoses? how old is your waterpump?

radiator is ok. its a chrysler radiator (bought the car with it in there) water pump could be old. just got a new lower rad hose and upper is fine. it was running 190-200 before i took it apart iirc but it had 50/50 coolant if that changes anything.

I think the Kadett D and everything prior to that is.

So I don't know if anyone is interested but I ended up checking out the Rambler today. It's in really good shape with very little rust, especially compared to my Pontiac. I'm just unsure on the price, I might offer them 4.5k and see where it goes from there. Probably gonna end up getting it if my girlfriend doesn't find anything else she likes within the next week or two.

Oh how could I almost forget to mention the best part. The salesman was an old slightly heavy guy with a Hawaiian shirt and cigar, can it get more stereotypical than that?

that could be a factor. and by chrysler radiator do you mean a vintage chrysler radiator? has it been recored or boiled out in recent times?

Probably hasn't been taken out in a while

Fun fact: Corinthian leather came from New Jersey.

how new is that rad cap?

very new not even a week. same with the thermostat.

nice. also upon reading up a bit, it seems like straight water will run a bit more hot.

mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/3572/running-with-straight-water-as-coolant-in-the-summer-is-it-fine

Thats what I was thinking. I was mainly running only water because I was trying to figure out some leaks so I didn't want to waste coolant in cases like today where I had to take off my radiator hose. Looks like I will have to invest in an aluminum radiator. Thanks again for the feedback.

Mad fuckin' jelly of your home. I have a friend who lives in Chilliwack who's a total NEET that never enjoys his surroundings. Love that International truck, I wish I had a family member with random trucks I could fix up.

ps. I've been collecting all of your photos.

no problem bud. aluminum radiator is a good call either way, as is running 50/50

That really depends. Water cools better than antifreeze but antifreeze has a higher boiling point and also acts as an anti-corrosion agent.

So, that's right and wrong.

welp just been doing some around town tests. it runs and idles at 200-210 normally (averaging about 205-208.) it goes down a little when I punch it but seems to be in that range normally. I want to do a complete flush when I get the aluminum radiator. Hopefully nothing changes until then.

I love these videos, I've watched a bunch of the old Chrysler videos, comparing the Imperial to the Cadillac and Lincoln

The videos with the Turbine are some of the best. The sound that car makes...

youtube.com/watch?v=IZUXcJf_8Lc

I would do unspeakable things for that car.

You and me both. The damn thing would run on any combustible liquid from gas to diesel to alcohol. If they could have gotten the costs down and the efficiency higher, we could be driving in turbocharged jet engined cars today. I'd love to just drive one or sit inside it as it would fulfill one of my many dream drives. I have a model im looking at right now of a Turbine that was issued to dealers I the 60s when they thought it was going to be in full swing production.

I have a 1/18 die-cast of it in a box.

To think of what could have been with that car... The saddest part is that Chrysler tried to GIVE THEM AWAY to museums, but nobody wanted them.

I would probably choose it as the one car that I get to drive for the rest of my life in those threads that appear here from time to time. I would NEVER get sick of that engine sound.

Agreed. I love the piston engine to death, but that vehicle was on a totally different plane unto itself. I'd gladly do the same and drive one forever given the chance (and possibly free lifetime repairs because lol jet engine).

It's the most revolutionary vehicle to be produced in modern automotive history; I also love how it's flamboyant, yet tastefully understated.

There's not a strong enough measurement for the amount of jealousy that I have for Jay Leno.

Do instant classics count?