Rotor swap or repair

So I took my car to the mechanic.

Asked him to carry on oil change service, filter & fix the rotor as it's wrapped. He claimed that he machined the rotors.

But in fact... I kept an eye on his stop from far away, recorded the whole 3 hours service.

Oil change took 20 minutes. Then the car took off and speeded away with sudden hard braking from 60 miles to stop few times.

The brakes were find until the wrapped rotor problem came back..

What do you call that? dishonesty?

The dude didn't even take off my tires at all, and the tire lock nuts were at specific torque range value for each tire.. he didn't even do machine them!

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15068693
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They make up shit to get more money.

Usually oil places will remove the wheels to see the condition of the brakes

third, rotors do not warp on regular cars. They get uneven wear caused by debris, sticky calipers, unevenly worn pads, or a ton of other issues. Before you all come saying that rotors warp, google it, and read the results.

How much money were you swindled out of?

OP here.

About for overall $300 dollars.

He said he machined the rotors as they were not even. The brakes were fine until the vibration and shaking returned within 50 miles.

But am sure he didn't machine them, I think he just went to apply hard braking to use the pads to even the rotors.....

You can probably get brand new front rotors and pads on rockauto for less than $100.

And what did we learn today op?
>Do your own maintenance?
Very good!

>Brake pads $20
>Two rotors $40
>Clamp to compress caliper piston $20
>Decent starter tool set $100

$60 bucks in parts to do it yourself and tools that will last you maybe your entire life.

We don't check brakes at our place unless a customer asks us to.

And rotors do warp quite often, but usually only poor quality aftermarket ones or on european market korean cars.

Its not even worth machining rotors at shops anymore now that you can buy rotors for like 30-40 bucks a pop. Anyone who offers to lathe them vs replace should be treated with caution.

Your car is about to rust away completely.

>rotors do not warp on regular cars

Chinese rotors warp.

Hell they usually come out of the box warped

A C clamp isn't even $20 you can just use a small one and a box end wrench

>hurrr durrr rotors don't warp on normal cars
Implying metal doesn't warp and flex when extreme heat is applied I,e braking maybe?

>being this retarded

>recorded the whole 3 hours service

So you have it on tape? If amerilard just threaten to take him to small claims unless he does something to fix it.

>What do you call that? dishonesty?

It's called deregulated capitalism. There is no documentation or proof of services rendered. He is making as much profit as possible. While you can prove the rotors were not machined (as they would be uneven or have groves upon inspection), a formal inspection and lawsuit costs you money and the mechanic you used knows that. So he balances his bonus profit methods against the chance a customer will call him out on it. He knows you are not a lawyer, so you are fair game.

>Chinese rotors warp.

They might also not even be of the required steel alloy for normal rotors. The chinese suppliers increase their profit by bait and switch tactics. The parts may be good at first, but later on, they cheapen their manufacturing costs and swap in shoddy raw materials and components once they figure the store chain is no longer inspecting.

In a prior Veeky Forums thread:
>It makes you wonder if they do that with raw metal ingots too.
>They do. My metallurgy teacher was telling us the same shit happened to him when he was working at some large equipment manufacturer. The US foundries kept getting outbid all around by China and most had to shut down. Six months later China was sending pot metal as high grade steel. There's a few foundries starting to come back now, but it's slow going due to all the EPA laws and just the sheer expense of running a foundry.

Archived at:
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15068693

they dont. why dont you try looking it up next time before you shitpost.

rotors
dont
warp

You assume they are made of the correct metal and not "pot metal". The chinese often got rid of contaminated objects by tossing things like lead into foundry metal to dispose of them. Some metal standards are also different. For example, Levi's clothing may have brass zippers with zero lead in them. Chinese zippers may have large amounts of lead in them which not only makes them dull easily, but they also get that "stinky zipper" smell. That's one way you can tell there is a lot of lead in the chinese-made brass zipper.

That is literally so pedantic, the uneven wear happens from differential cooling of the rotor, when you fully stop after hard braking the spot where the pads are stays warmer for longer while the rest cools down fairly rapidly. Once the get a slight warp they'll continue as they'll now wear all fucked up.

... honestly, why are you bothering to ask them to turn the rotors? Just replace them along with the pads.

>rotors
>dont
>warp

Even chinese highway bridges can "warp". One concrete highway bridge abutment warped (bent) and then collapsed because the pillars and foundation had been used as a dumping site for some garbage and other filler material.

Can you imagine something like the USA hoover dam's huge volume being used as a site to dispose some trash and construction filler materials? It certainly wasn't. Modern construction sites with huge volumes of concrete could be a tempting place to dispose of trash in return for under the table cash to the construction site employees. The savings in concrete cost could also be pocketed without the site architect or company managers being aware the product has some unauthorized local design changes.

don't believe everything you read

if that logic was true then cylinder heads would never warp either.

>Clamp to compress caliper piston $20

I just bought a proper piston compressor for ten shekels at autozone desu

yes
they
do

Yeah, I could have gotten a cheaper clamp, but I do a little bit of woodworking and paid a little extra for a clamp that I could use for a lot of different stuff.

I use a deadweight mallet. Who the fuck needs clamps.