How the FUCK do I figure out the most fuel efficient motorway cruising speed for my car?

How the FUCK do I figure out the most fuel efficient motorway cruising speed for my car?

>he cares about the environment
wew

>How the FUCK do I figure out the most fuel efficient motorway cruising speed for my car?
Peak torque in top gear.

>posts an ugly cow

Opinion discarded

Staying around 60-70mph most likely.

fuck off back to /v/ shitter

who is this lovely creature with perfect proportions?

The "peak torque in top gear" is a meme pushed by rotary faggots.

There's two things here. Your engine has a peak fuel efficiency rpm somewhere. That would be the ideal number, theoretically, but the true number is going to be solved by taking into account vehicle drag. The drag will go up exponentially as speed increases, so go slow within that optimal engine efficiency rpm.

Lurk moar on Fuelly and ecomodders forum. Get a Scan Guage or other OBD-II real-time diagnostics reader that measures instant MPG. Those sites will recommend good hardware.

That said, extensive effort in fuel efficiency is mostly an exercise in futility. Assuming 15k miles driven annually and fuel at $2.50/gallon, the difference between 30 and 31 mpg is about $40 per year. A hundred other factors could effect that difference, so the difference is ultimately negligible. Buy a somewhat efficient car, keep it in good shape, don't drive like a dick, and don't obsess over a few dollars in gas.

Buy a car that has a live MPG readout.

>fuel efficiency
>environmentally conscious
Wew lad

Found a gallery of her, but fucking Veeky Forums thinks I'm spam. Had to solve like 14 captchas to post this.

I care about my wallet you fucking cunt. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Who gives a shit?

The ratio of air resistance to velocity is linear senpai

It is square of speed. Not exactly exponential but still enough to make high speeds inefficient.

>drive at 90 km/h
>note fuel economy
>drive at 70 km/h
>note fuel economy
>drive at 110 km/h
>note fuel economy
>narrow it down to a certain range
>???

My car seems to like 80-90 km/h at 2000 RPM.

>How the FUCK do I figure out the most fuel efficient motorway cruising speed for my car?
The new cars (at least all those in my Make's 2016 line) have "instant" MPG (updated every few seconds) that can be put on the dashboard display.

Regardless, a guess as to the most MPG for most cars will probably be around 55 MPH since the torque converter for most automatics will have just kicked in a few miles under that speed. At that point, you have the least loss from the automatic transmission. Under the point where the torque converter kicks in, it will be as other posters said of finding the sweet spot for your peak fuel efficiency RPM.

Thin oil improves fuel efficiency too.

>My car seems to like 80-90 km/h at 2000 RPM.
Looks like your best MPH is where your torque converter locks in since 88 KmH is about 55 MPH. Since 55 MPH was the standard freeway speed limit, torque converters were designed to lock in just under that speed since it was expected most cars would cruise long distances at 55 MPH or slightly higher.

Fuel economy is not worth worrying about now. Oil prices are going to collapse again soon.

find out where does your car achieve maximum torque at any given speed and drive there. there's a curve of fuel consumption and another one for torque figures, it's not linear of course. the point of max torq is usually just a bit over max fuel efficiency: engine suffers less, you make more out of your fuel.

where can i find this gallery?

>Not having instant mpg and average

the torque app.
or cruising at different speeds and figuring out MPG changes through in-tank testing.

Just look at your mom.

>car has live MPG readout
>also has other functions like adjustable speed chime
>stuck showing the temperature because it's missing the control stalk

Thanks Porsche

Set cruise, look at the display that tells you the current mpg.

If your car doesn't that, it's time to get one that does.

>Fuel economy is not worth worrying about now. Oil prices are going to collapse again soon.

No they aren't. The entrance of Iran into the oil selling market and pushing prices down has been pretty much assimilated. The oil producers have been adjusting their prices the past few months as you've seen the prices continuing to climb since those $1.58 per gallon days. The price fixing will shove it back up to at least $2.60 range by the end of June and Iran will be making a lot of money to continue their nuclear ambitions.