Retarded /k/ommando here

Retarded /k/ommando here.

What can Veeky Forums tell me about first gen (1995-2004) Tacomas? Anybody drive one? Do they have any recurring reliability issues?

Looking for a good 4wd that's not fuckhuge. I'm also interested in the older generations of Toyota trucks but it's hard to find a clean one in Nebrakska.

Other urls found in this thread:

tacomaworld.com/threads/frame-rust-buy-back.263907/
wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/toyota-offers-to-buy-back-rusty-tacomas/?_r=0
jalopnik.com/376911/rusty-toyota-tacoma-toyota-may-buy-back-your-truck-for-150-the-value
atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5610429123.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's basically a hilux. It'll make a reliable technical. Enjoy your kebabelimination.

This. Strap a DShKA on the back and you're solid.

Theyre known for being really fucking reliable. Great platform for an offroading rig

Solid as fuck, just hit 255K in mine, have had it since 223K and done little other than oil changes, and a pad slap at 245K.

Bendable frames.

I forgot, I have a 2003 Tacoma ExtraCab.
2WD
2.4L 4cyl / 5 Speed

Mileage is good, maintenence is stupid easy if you get the 4cyl, there is open space everywhere and you get sightlines to every important component from top or bottom.
I wish I got a 4wd, but I am good with a few sandbags in the back.

2003 Tacoma, 3.4L V6, manual trans Prerunner.

The only problem with 2002-2003 is that they have a frame rust problem if you live in areas that use road salt in the snow. This in mind, thats a problem for a lot of cars so it's not that bad

Otherwise it's a fucking amazing little truck if you like light off-roading and moderate construction applications

>have all the cons of a half ton with none of the pros
just get a proper truck

the older ones from the 80s and 90s, hilux, or just truck in the us are literally unkillable. my dad had his completely submerged twice and it still worked normally.

to pointlessly waste money.. good call

Taco's have a bulletproof drive-train, seriously.
You won't get that with a shitty domestic truck.
That and 1st gen tacomas are quite small by american standards, 2nd and higher are much larger, but still excellent for cities, and working in tight areas. They are still quite capable for their size.

chevy v8's are terribly unreliable, yeah. or even a tundra. shit q&r desu senpai
kek

>not mounting a twin Vickers in the passenger seat and going full SAS on kebabs

Buy one wait till the motor dies (that wont be long, their all at 200k+), and put a 4bt in it, or a vw 2.0 tdi

>motor dies (that wont be long, their all at 200k+)
I can't hear you over the sound of my tacoma being redlined every day. It was babied in the beginning, but after 50K the PO went full hoon, till I got it, and I will run it hard well past 300K, 400K.

Friend's mom has one and that thing has been running forever it seems with no major issues whatsoever.

If you are looking at smallish trucks why don't you look at nissan hardbody trucks? Those are good too

the windows of the extended cab trigger my autism

Hello my son

THIS IS WHY you don't see any 1995-2004's

tacomaworld.com/threads/frame-rust-buy-back.263907/

wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/toyota-offers-to-buy-back-rusty-tacomas/?_r=0

jalopnik.com/376911/rusty-toyota-tacoma-toyota-may-buy-back-your-truck-for-150-the-value

Rust BUY BACK FOR 150% of what its worth

>THIS IS WHY you don't see any 1995-2004's
Except for the hundreds of thousands of them on the road?

Oh their great alright if you live in a catbox state.

The frames were made in the states not to JDM standards, this is why the 4Runners of the period were not eligible for the program.

not really
any truck makes a good offrading platform depending on what level your goal is.
typically much of the frame, suspension and drivetrain are replaced enough where it really doesn't matter what vehicle you choose.

actually toyotas are generally smaller and not as good for total offroad conversions.
toyotas are best kept stock, or lightly modified because thats where their reliability shines

*Transforming noise intensifies*

>You won't get a bulletproof drivetrain with a domestic truck
Check out this idiot.

OP obviously wants a midsize truck though so as the driver of an American full-size even I endorse his choice of a Hilux... er, 1st gen Tacoma.

toyotas are good
but 80% of the price is actually chink tax
mainly from people like you who don't know shit about auto

there are plenty of american trucks which easily reach 300k
and Dana/Chrystler make a more heavy duty drivetrain.
an 05+ quadradrive2 is actually the best 4x4/AWD system for traction

They were not designed with water or salt in mind. They do well in desert and arid climates. Light weight makes them good in sand and the low traction of sand is easy on the drivetrain.

Clean, dry, high traction pavement is not something they take well to, nor is rain or salt. These all compound each other and create SEVERE rust issues.

>to pointlessly waste money
>by spending less

What you'd spend on a Tacoma you could get a similar year similar mileage 3/4 ton truck for less money that is going last longer.
And don't even start that shit about a 3/4 ton being too big. Size varies greatly with body style and configuration.

>You won't get that with a shitty domestic truck.
True, but you WILL get it with a good domestic truck, which can be had for significantly less than a Tacoma.

It's not easy accepting the truth.

Your Taco dreams are in reality a SoCal hippster beard's counter signaling the land occupied by F-150's.

Awesome cars.

My ONLY complaint is the ride is a little stiff. It's for that reason I got a Honda Element instead.

The Ford Ranger is a much better choice in that you're not paying the Toyota tax and they don't rust in half.

I met a dude that had 400k miles on his TACOMA on his factory powertrain. He said he just kept up on his regular maintenance and his truck never gave him trouble. It was a 1999 i believe

>interested in smaller size trucks
>craigslist tacomas
>"1997 Tacoma 325,XXX miles Flawless Asking $7,000 NO LOW BALLERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE

fuck off, i bet you're a drama queen and a time wasters.

i struck a chord user?

see get a ranger

Hes trolling retard

They're good shit, but different internally than a hilux. The older "Pickups" (89-94) are practically the same as a hilux of the same year and model, minus a couple differences.

That'd be the one to get if you want to go full /k/, but the tacoma won't fail you.

Pic related is my 92 Pickup, 4x4 with the 22RE 4 banger

Words to live by.
(underrated post)

I've owned a '98 reg cab 4x4 5spd for 8 years. 217k miles and never had any issues. Literally just keep changing oil/plugs/filters and it will go forever.

The Hot Rod has been good to me that's for sure

Just be careful since the tailgates have no internal support, and have a tendency to bend. I'm thinking of welding on some support beams for my replacement

Yeah that is true. my tailgate is bowed out from carrying small buggies in the bed and hanging off the tailgate. still closes fine though. the only issues with these things is frame rust. mine spent 3 years in illinois but didnt manage to rust at all.

About a week ago, I was loading up a quarter of a telephone pole and planned on using the tailgate as a pivot point to just slide it into the bed

That was when I learned a valuable lesson

Taco frames like to taco

how the fuck? i do the same thing with 300lb bottles of O2 and N2 in my Tacoma and it doesnt do shit.

Theyre good trucks.
Ived owned my 2003 PreRunner for almost 5 years now and its been solid.
The V6 and A/T trans have 206k miles but runs well.
I did have to replace the radiator at 125k and the waterpump at 180k.

The electronic rear locking diff helps if you want to do some light offroading. Its not as good as a 4x4 but it can handle most things, avoid deep mud and rough inclines.

I need to order new shocks and springs though.

The tailgate is literally just 1/32nd inch thick or whatever sheet metal with ZERO internal supports. I can jump on my dad's F150 tailgate all day with no problems, but Toyota's official stance is that "the tailgate is a non load bearing body panel similar to a door"

I'm just going to be a lot more careful with it now

3 years ago....

i havent call toyota yet but what do you guys think of my undercarriage of my 2001 tacoma? here are some photos, i just got it spray with rust proofing but there are crack frame

looks like its free truck time

how many miles?

280 thousand and change, but the motor was rebuilt by the PO about 5000 ago

Some qualify for buyback

is that a TAD sticker under the badge?

It's an intake.

same as this one I saw... even has similar miles to yours but 1k more than i can get right now: atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5610429123.html

is it a good buy?

said no one ever...

R A N G E R
A
N
G
E
R

Ford Rangers exemplify all of the FORD acronyms such as Fix Or Repair Daily, F**CKER Only Rolls Downhill, Found On Road Dead, you know the rest... Rangers are the epitome of all that is GAY (Homosexual, not happy). Most straight men who aquire a Ford Ranger rid themselves of these disease stricken vehicles within the first twenty four hours, in order to avoid any kind of anal mutilation. Certain color Rangers are more potent than others in the "Gay Danger" zone. The most dangerous of these being the teal green Ford Ranger. The most common defense to this horrible color is to litter your truck with stickers to try and hide it. Also, giving your Ford Ranger a Male name can sometimes help the owner cope with and accept the overall gayness of the vehicle. The only Ford Ranger GAYER than a greenish teal Ford Ranger is a Ford Ranger that someone has "pre-runnered out". (ie: Engine, lift, tires, bumpers, fenders flares, 45 degree spare tire/ roll bar in bed, offroad lights) What straight person would do all of this to a vehicle that everyone knows cant do anything off of the pavement. In conclusion, the award for the gayest piece of junk ever made other than a Ford Mustang 5.0 goes to the FORD RANGER. POS...

Only when you pull the engine out with 4 of your BFF's to change the chains will you understand just how gay it had to be after 100k.

Wish you bought a snapping Taco....

Its a Skullcandy sticker i slapped on it the same day i bought her.
That sticker is still there

Right!
thought it was TAD they make some sanzzy stuff tho.

>And don't even start that shit about a 3/4 ton being too big. Size varies greatly with body style and configuration.

Dude, that generation tacoma has a 66.5" width. It's an inch thinner than a Fiesta. You can easily park the mother fuckers in compact spots. All domestic 3/4 ton trucks are going to be over a foot wider. No configuration is going to change that Xbox sized body.

Also, I'm not sure why you believe domestic 3/4 ton trucks will last longer (I assume that means without trouble). I have quite a bit of experience with Tacomas and 3/4 ton trucks; Tacomas were in a different league of reliability. Like, 10% the frequency of repairs.

Finally, why are you recommending a 3/4 ton truck, the applications are completely different. Compare it to an S10 or something.

Fellow /k/ommando here for a short hijack.

My 88 c10 with the 305 just started backfiring out of the TBI. It started when I was driving through a field and let it idle. I replaced the fuel filter and it'll run a little better, but it's still almost undrivable.

Any clue what it could be?

>Dude, that generation tacoma has a 66.5" width
And with a set of sport mirrors on it a 90s GM 1 ton truck is about 69"

>All domestic 3/4 ton trucks are going to be over a foot wider
False.

>No configuration is going to change that Xbox sized body
Width and overall height are going to be determined mostly by body style. Length is what configuration is going to dictate.

>I'm not sure why you believe domestic 3/4 ton trucks will last longer
>why are you recommending a 3/4 ton truck
Because being overbuilt for the intended use greatly increases the longevity of a product.

If you've got a 30,000 psi hydraulic system, you do not want a hose that's rated at 30,000-35,000 psi before it explodes. You're likely going to want a hose rated at 100,000+ psi.

30k hose on a 30k system and 100k hose on a 100k system both are going to give you problems. You can't directly compare them like that. 100k hose on a 30k system is what's going to give you longevity. Similarly, using a 3/4 ton for light "I don't NEED a 3/4 ton" use is going to give you longevity. It's about not stressing parts to their rated limits. Having mroe than you need is not a bad thing. The only reason not to have more than absolutely needed is if it costs more. When you can get more than you need for less money than the minimum, it would be retarded not to have it. The bare minimum needed to do a job is NOT going to last as long as something that's overbuilt. That's what it comes down to and if you had a job dealing with building shit then you'd understand that.

Reliable, dependable, hold value like absolutely nothing else. Good trucks.

this

>hold value like absolutely nothing else.
This is how fanboys pretend "absurdly overpriced" is a pro instead of a con.

Tacomas are in right now. They're a fad, a bubble. When the bubble pops, they're going to depreciate like nothing else. Buying when values are higher than they should be is a terrible idea. Many other models that didn't "hold their value" from 2000-2013 are now starting to appreciate while the Tacomas are still depreciating.

papa bless you