/mcg/ - Minecraft General

Previous thread: We discuss minecraft, minecraft packs, projects, seeds, building ideas...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

>==[Links]====[News]==

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/pull/2872
github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/pull/2770
twitter.com/_grum/status/764417838278926336
youtube.com/watch?v=4LeSFBy2bZU
youtube.com/watch?v=eFRhmKuD9x8
youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U&index=14&list=RDm3UgeEbI028
youtube.com/watch?v=ClS3QHYhEPw
youtube.com/watch?v=_dB_r6TL8TA
youtube.com/watch?v=uU9dVV6gY7Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't make another thread ever again. We're done here.

that was odd

nice going...

I wish there was a mod that let you brainwash mobs and turn them into some kind of thaumcraft golem or computercraft turtle.

horizons lets you turn them into wolves

Apparently the only decompiler which supports Minecraft correctly is LexManos's fork of Fernflower, which, conversely, has the flaw of coming from an old, decompiled version of the codebase. IntelliJ's fork has similar issues to the original when handling the generics data left in by 1.8.3+, while Cuchaz's patched Procyon has other strange problems. We haven't tried CFR yet, but it might be better to contribute generics handling fixes to IntelliJ, as that would benefit much more than just Minecrafters.

Also, Forge is apparently accepting optimizations now, starting with a new cloud renderer which should boost FPS across the board by 10%: github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/pull/2872

Just so you know - decompilation itself works fine with both Procyon and CFR; the problem with Procyon is that it doesn't seem to accurately detect that a method belongs to Minecraft in some interfaces, and that might be specific to Cuchaz's fork - however, the fork patches are necessary to get Enigma to detect anything at all...

But i don`t want wolves, i want better than this,
i want that minotits from Grimoire of Gaia to be
my lumberjack slave.

Rip out flesh golem texture/model and shove in minos

>But i don`t want wolves, i want better than this

i tried shit like that some time ago, hitbox of a golem is 1 block hight, almost any other mob has 2 block hight hitbox, golem AI is making them suffocate in a walls and also stuck in wires and other blocks with custom models.

huehuehue

Anybody know how to add extra plates to Tinker's Defense armour? I tried both types of plates and no donut

is there an "official" /mcg/ discord?

there was but nobody used it so I deleted it

>starting with a new cloud renderer

Why is that part of Forge? When did it stop being an API and start being FPSPlus?

What is your FAVORITE mod?

What genre of mod is your favorite?

Tech? Magic?

In Minecraft 1.2.5, when it got a mod loader. Granted, it was infinitely better than Risugami's, but that's when it stopped that.

>replace cloud renderer
>gain 0.01 fps
>game still takes 5 minutes to start

Actually, it gains about 9.8% of the FPS - which is fairly notable.

As for the start time - not much Forge can do about it. They could stop creating texture/model maps twice (immibis fixed that in his fork) and they could also deobfuscate the Minecraft .JAR at installation time (immibis at least planned fixing that in his fork).

It appears immibis did not quite quit modding, however -> github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/pull/2770

9.8%? Calling serious bullshit on that.

Proven with profiling ("In the profiler, this new renderer gets ~0.47% of gameRenderer time when I have a 16 chunk render distance, as opposed to vanilla clouds' ~9-11%."), however that's only for Fancy clouds IIRC (Fast clouds get a smaller improvement).

The Mojang cloud renderer is really slow. In fact, that's one of OptiFine's optimizations - but its implementation is slightly worse compared to this one, as it doesn't rewrite it to use VBOs and faster calculation, but simply caches Mojang's output in a display list.

>immibis
>not the hero we deserved, but the one we needed

Too bad none of the changes will make their way to 1.7

Actually, his change was already worked on by cpw as part of Project FAIL. The project involves moving Forge's lifecycle to be centered around servers, which will cause things like the registry initialization to happen there - and, in turn, let server-side mods add simple client-side content not unlike Mojang's own planned W10 API.

turning off clouds doesn't even give you a 9.8% fps boost

You also forgot it might vary from computer to computer.

To give a real-world example, BetterFPS works by replacing Mojang's sine table (which eats 256KB of CPU cache in the worst case) with a fast approximation function. On CPUs with low internal cache (Intel Atoms, for example), this will free major amounts of cache to be used for more important code and data, bumping the FPS by as much as 50%! However, on CPUs with very large internal cache (high-end Core i7s are a good example), this will not add much more space for important things and, effectively, slightly slow down the game by spending more CPU ticks on doing the fast approximation compared to a simple lookup.

except nobody has ever reported or proven a 50% boost in performance from any of those supposed performance mods

whoever wants their cloud code in forge is fudging their numbers

>except nobody has ever reported or proven a 50% boost in performance from any of those supposed performance mods

It has been proven in the FPSPlus thread with at least one screenshot-based report >inb4 screenshots and videos can be faked - what other proof do you suggest? and I'm pretty sure I saw a few text-based reports.

As I said, it's tied to the amount of cache you have, and honestly - at least this specific example makes perfect sense anyway: Mojang uses trigonometry in their rendering and entity updating code a lot.

no amount of cpu cache causes java math routines to boost your performance by 50%

Mojang doesn't use Java's math routines. (Neither does LibGDX, in fact - LibGDX's routines is what BetterFPS uses) Java's routines are oriented more towards accuracy than performance. Mojang simply uses LUTs for trigonometry. Oversized LUTs.

WEW
E
W

>implying this wasn't intentional bait

I tried every one of those performance boosters on my old slow machines and never saw more than 1 fps difference.

are they kidding?

i fucking knew there was a catch
there just had to be a catch
why would mojang ever do anything nice?

It honestly depends on everything from your computer's parts, your OS (Linux is generally better), your Java version, your Java configuration flags, the amount of allocated RAM (too much is nearly as bad as too little), etc.

explain this shit to retard, there will be shown mcpe modding api at minecon, right?

So I'm playing on 1.10 and installed Tinkers Construct and everything worked fine until I decided to relocate the tool stations etc, when I merely left-click any of them, the game crashes
What could be the cause

You know what they say. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

And Linux is slower in most cases

>What could be the cause

TFC is my favorite, followed by Thaumcraft. Anythimg is good as long as its cohesive and quality

yes, and people assumed it would be PC API from the first tweet

I'm speaking from multiple people's experiences, at least about the Linux thing - Linux as an OS simply copes better with the load of Java and Minecraft.

fucking mojew, fuck you.

link?

twitter.com/_grum/status/764417838278926336

i fucking knew, why the fuck something good should happen?

Since I've been forced to use FMP in this pack by Mekanism already, should I bother getting Project Red? I kind of miss RP2 but I'm not sure so asking the experts of miney crafta might be a good idea.

Project: Red is mostly ripoff features from other mods. Get the more performance-efficient RedLogic unless you really want worldgen and FMP support.

asie FUCK OFF

link to thread?

I was talking about the IRC which is in no way affiliated with this general and hasn't been for over a year.

>unless you really want worldgen
Man you can't even begin to wonder how fucking much I miss those volcanos.
not at all

if its not, why is it stated in the OP then?

No idea - the channel doesn't even call itself the Minecraft General IRC anymore, and hasn't for months. (However, we do answer Minecraft questions if asked, and we do discuss current events from time to time.) Most of its regulars don't even lurk the thread anymore and have been forgotten.

ded
e
d

and now you changed it you fuck

What are you nerds listening to?
youtube.com/watch?v=4LeSFBy2bZU

The intended recipent got the note, and I honestly forgot about it - but since you're so annoyed about the reference I removed it.

youtube.com/watch?v=eFRhmKuD9x8

Nothing better for killing lots of mobs to.

Finally getting my inventorium setup. r8 h8?

youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U&index=14&list=RDm3UgeEbI028

>HEY GUYS, WE'RE FINALLY WORKING ON THE MODDING API!
>community cheers
>F-for Pocket Edition
>community boos

>That webm

Holy fucking god I want it.

I guess an API would be necessary for a C++ game, while we've been hooking into the .jar file for years.

Yeah, true. Still, given the MS reveal at E3, don't be surprised if it's the "Plugin API" that Dinnerbone was trying to hype for years.

>people actually wanting a name associated with Veeky Forums

i'll never understand

Since my playlist contains a lot of this album, I'll just link this
>The Butchers and the Builders: Western Medicine
youtube.com/watch?v=ClS3QHYhEPw

The rest is a few other songs from the same band, a handful of one-offs from others, and a cluster of music from Railroad Tycoon.

It's a side effect of history. We started as the /mcg/ IRC, but that was a long time ago, and now nobody wants to move.

>Tinker's Defense lets you customize the icons (for weapons) and models (for armor) of your Tinkers' gear
Wow, I might actually install Tinker's Constructs.

Aside from Iguana's, Tinker's is pretty fairly balanced. Metallurgy and ETiC do put a skew on it, but I'm not sure if that's just changes on the serb or base options (Ceruclase being probably the best early game option) but overall base Tinker's is pretty good.

I am not 100% sure but I think it's veinminer

Haha, fuck you too mojang

At least we don't have to hold onto a faint glitter of hope for months.

Are there any good coherent modpacks that mix magic mods, exploration mods, and maybe a few tech mods?
And not ones I make. They tend to turn out the opposite of coherent.

>fairly balanced
>even without an iquana or extra shit, it still obsoletes every other single-function tool ever
>it is designed in a way where you actually have to force people to do anything but the MOEST AWPTIMUL configurations because such configurations even exist

shill, please.

>wah this mod's tool is better than these mods' tools
>wah i want people to play the game MY way

Jesus Christ, how about you fuck off and go gargle on TiCon's cock somewhere else? I'm just sharing a feature I found interesting, I'm not interested in being lectured by a shill who completely ignores the serious issues and design flaws TiCon has.

>complaining about a mod making "it's just another pick" tools obsolete

mmm mmm I sure do love my obsidian and emerald pick from billy's first mod

just cuck me up with that good ol vanilla enchant system

Now, i am not a big fan of tcon myself, since I like other mods NONsingle function tools.

But come on, if a mod adds vanilla-style tools, you aren't missing out on much. Unless said tool if better than a diamond pick, it's already out of competition with vanilla itself.

>Mod that makes it so you don't have to rely on one of the rarest resources in the game
I think it was designed to be better than a Diamond Pick merely because of all the mods out there that go "In order to progress to the next tier, you need to spend like five blocks of diamonds. Good job, now spend ten more to get further." which can be infuriating when you have to spend nearly a stack of diamonds just on gear.

At least with vanilla, there's nothing that really demands diamonds other than armor and tools. In modded, basically any mid+ tier things require diamonds, some more than others. Easing off this demand would be a good thing, unless you want to mine for decades if all you want to use is things that aren't considered "MAWPC" like Tinker's tools, quarries, RFTools/Mystcraft, EE, or whatever other bullshit.

Bang rocks in a cave for all I care. I'll run around with a non-diamond pickaxe that does as good as yours because I'd rather spend diamonds on things that demand it.

This is the only youtube video I could find, but I'm listening to this album:
youtube.com/watch?v=_dB_r6TL8TA

Protip: don't listen to lullabies while playing minecraft at 3 am unless you want to feel creepling loneliness.

Lads how do I make a fucking server that me and my friends can play on without having to port-forward?
I remember back in the day we just used Hamachi, but now that doesn't work, has anything changed? Also, this is what Hamachi says when I hover over my friends.

youtube.com/watch?v=uU9dVV6gY7Q

>without having to port-forward
nu-uh. Hamachi is terrible.
you'll have to gitgud and port-forward your router.

its fucking simple I don't understand why people make a big deal about it.

because my ISP is complete trash and will only let you acces the router panel through their website, which is super outdated and terrible, I've looked at guides and there's no such thing as port forwarding or allow ports option in there.

>finally give Immersive Engineering a try
>pitiful power outputs of all early power generation
>no middle-tier power generation
>very expensive upper-tier power generation
>machines are all higher-tier and power hungry multiblocks
>lots of iron and copper required
>rips off Railcraft
>no incentive to use it over conventional mods other than aesthetics

wew lads, you made me think this was actually a good mod.

It's good in conjunction with other mods. The Excavator is a fantastic option to the quarry (as it produces ores, but only in a certain chunk) but the energy production is fairly laughable and it's very resource hungry. Granted they look pleasingly aesthetic, but they're hilariously inefficient.

maybe this mod just isn't for you

have you considered thermal expansion? it even has a creative energy block you can spawn in just for the type of person who can't be fucked actually earning progression, like you

>being this defensive over a reskinned IC2

As someone who hasn't played it, i think one of the only intriguing aspects to me is the wires. it's a nice concept having wires be actual wires and not block by block tubes
Has any standalone mod made power transfer wires?

at least IE has aesthetics, unlike IC2

>he wants aesthetics in a game about cubes

the wires are tedious. you can't break a block without the stupid things popping off, they can only run a certain distance, and they're just a source of lag

I like this

>>he wants aesthetics in a game about cubes
>t. faggot who powergames through progression and then stops playing

>implying IE has progression and hasn't just made the same old stuff take longer

wew there ftb fan

and this is different from any other mod how?

>pitiful power outputs of all early power generation
>90 free rf/t for the low price of wood and liquid garbage.
you usually use big reactors don't you

big reactors is the opposite kind of bad, so no.

as for IE, it's just one big gimmick that only low-intelligence players, hipsters, autists, and kids fall for.

>He doesnt want aesthetics in an unaesthetic game

Why not play something with substance then?

I enjoy the game by not making it into something it's not.

but hey enjoy your shaders and 256x256 realism texture packs

>ignoring what I said because you know you can't defend what you said
please put more effort into your next attempt at trolling please