More engine noise

The engine in my Outback XT is so quiet at low RPM that it can be difficult to get shifts just right or to creep around with the clutch slipping (say in a parking lot or in reverse). What would be the best way to improve engine noise without making it obnoxiously loud?

Should I work from the intake side or the exhaust side? I want to say intake because it's closer to the driver's seat, but my options there seem to be limited to replacing the stock cold air intake with a shorter intake that sucks hot air. If I work on the exhaust, I'd probably be looking at an axleback system (see pic).

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=21-475C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

remove the intake

remove the exhaust

you should fuck off and get better at driving because the last thing the world needs is another gay fucking Subaru with a gay fucking exhaust on it.

Just slap a pod filter on your intake.

Drill holes in the catalytic converters.

spotted the bus pass holder

Trips of truth.

Show me on the doll where the Subie hurt you.

Do a 3 inch straight pipe catback. Costs about $250 at your local muffler/exhaust shop.

Mitsubishi owner detected.

>250 for someone to Sawzall off your old exhaust and weld on some scrap tubing
Sounds like you need to learn to weld kiddo. I don't know where you live, but that should cost 70 bucks tops

I'm going to one of the best exhaust shops in my area where they do custom exhaust work. But you're right, I can't weld, and would rather someone who's been doing exhaust systems for 40 years to do it for me to my specifications.

nope
nowhere
nope

just your average person that isn't in absolute denial as to how fucking gay Subarus are

Show us your car then. Bread on hood.

>based outback xt
Also easiest thing to make your exhaust sound better is to take your mufflers right off

I drive a Honda CRV, could give a fuck less what you think, but you should know that every time a Subaru goes blasting by like a total fuckboy, nobody is impressed. they just see a fucking douchebag that's stuck in the mentality of a 17 year old.

intake will be the most effective

Sorry, I'm not all that interested in significant modifications. Just something for a subtle increase in sound.

I don't want it that loud, but I'm looking at the Nameless kit with 4" or 5" mufflers.

>I drive a Honda CRV

My condolences.

it's all good, my Honda will outlast your piece of shit Subaru 4 times over.

I bet you call AAA to change your flat tire too.

"I'm butthurt I drive I crossover, how dare anyone else get to have fun" - the post

wishful thinking, but no

>Being mad that a Subaru passed you on the highway because your CRV doesn't have VTEC yo.

something like this?

aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=21-475C

but my CRV does have VTEC, yo

My 2011 STi has the Cobb SF intake right now. You can hear induction and the bypass valve woosh. It's loud.

Then you should have no trouble passing a boosted 4banger.

Honda and subaru are pretty equal on long term reliability. But subaru is miles easier to work on when stuff goes wrong

both of your statements are so hilariously inaccurate

>I own an Evo

b8

I got an 09 XT forester thats done over 240,000kms (all mine). Worst ive had happen was the radiator pop while i was driving. It overheated a bit to get home but glorious boxer gives no fucks. Im currently contending with blowby leaking oil out my intercooler though

don't feed the trolls

Do you not have a fucking tachometer or something?

>continually stare at the fucking tach while driving

seems safe to me

LEVAE YOUR CAR STOCK

THE ENGINEERS THAT DESIGNED THE CAR MADE IT TO PERFORM OPTIMALLY AND FOR THE BEST PERFORMANCE

ALL AFTERMARKET PARTS ONLY DECREASE YOUR HORSEPOWER AND MAKE YOUR CAR RUN WORSTER

LEAVE YOUR CAR STOCK ALWAYS

AFTERMARKET = BAD

What is glancing or perhiperal vision

is this board always retarded? Why would you come here and you don't know how to fucking drive?

>Implying stock tunes on any Subaru are meant for optimal performance.

Yeah, tell that to a stock Rex or STis awful rev hang and nonlinear throttle response.

what about when you're in reverse and looking out the back window, tough guy?

>what about when you're in reverse and looking out the back window, tough guy?

You don't have to shift into a second reverse gear? What about that tough guy

no fucking shit. there's one reverse gear - if you can't figure that shit out you shouldn't be operating a fucking car. OP confirmed for being a total derp

>fully engaging the clutch all the time in reverse

I don't think you two jizzbeards have ever driven a manual before.

keep patting yourself on the back if you'd like but it's not as complicated as you dumbfucks like to make it.

>people on Veeky Forums saying you should look at the tach instead of listening to the rpm

i thought this was a board for enthusiasts, not for faggot plebs

Don't listen to these knuckleheads OP. This is free and you don't have to take anything off.

remove car

>>fully engaging the clutch all the time in reverse

who the fuck said anything about engaging the clutch the entire time? Do you even know how to manual?

the original question was about shifting when the you can't hear the car but op is retarded and doesn't know how to glance at a tachometer and shift based on RPM and not noise.

apparently you don't know how to drive manual either shitbrain.

>it can be difficult to get shifts just right or to creep around with the clutch slipping
>or to creep around with the clutch slipping

work on your reading comprehension, brosef. please feel free to explain how were should be driving in reverse while also looking at the tach

>work on your reading comprehension, brosef. please feel free to explain how were should be driving in reverse while also looking at the tach
>explain how were should be driving

Please explain to me where i said look at the tach while in reverse.

>"I know, it'll just jump in to the thread and act like a spunking cock despite not bothering to actually read what the OP said!"

>>"I know, it'll just jump in to the thread and act like a spunking cock despite not bothering to actually read what the OP said!"

op's a moron and can't drive stick
>i know let's shitpost some other person in the thread

all of you fucks can't drive manual or what?

>the guy who needs to look at the tach to shift telling other people they can't drive stick

I think we're being trolled here, lads.

>the guy who needs to look at the tach to shift telling other people they can't drive stick

op is a guy who can't hear or apparently feel when to shift so what the fuck else is he going to do?

Make his car louder and be an asshat to everyone because he CAN'T drive shift?

This entire thread is a troll.

I think I'll try pulling the air box resonator tomorrow and see what kind of results I get.