Soup Veeky Forums. Thinkin of buying a 94 4runner off craigslist. 170k miles, new tires, great interior

Soup Veeky Forums. Thinkin of buying a 94 4runner off craigslist. 170k miles, new tires, great interior.

>3.0L V6
>Manual 5 speed
>4wd
>$3200

What do you all think?

Also, general CL thread.

atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/5579504961.html

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cta
orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5599413679.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think you should find one with a 3.4 and skip that junk ass 3.0

Was thinking of doing a swap for a 4.0 from a wrecked tacoma sometime in the future. Any particular problems you know of for the 3.0?

Head gaskets. The easiest way to tell is take it up a hill in 4th at like 25 and plant it

The ad says its got a valve cover gasket leak. I'm not worried about it since I'm doing a shit ton of work to it regardless when I get home. What does that test have to do with head gaskets, pardon my retard showing?

my friend had 2 3.0s and both took a massive shit with head gaskets violently failing.
Also, they are insanely weak and have mediocre fuel mileage.
really terrible engine.
oh also they are a pain in the dick to work on.

Well fuck. What was he doing that made them shit out? Not going to be putting too much demand on it. Might even get it bored and stroked of I don't do the 4.0 swap.

When you lug the engine like that, if you've got a bad hg it'll smoke like a steam ship and be massively down on power

If anyone wants to help a brother out. I live in los angeles and i've been looking for a Miata. Only qualifications are it must be clean, mechanically sound, manual and under $7k.
losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cta

Ah I see. Thanks friend :^)

question for you Veeky Forumstists
when buying a used car, what's the max mileage you'll go for? what do you consider when looking at the mileage in terms of new parts, maintenance, etc.?

Varies extremely between car brands. Varies even more between model. Varies even more between model year. Varies even more between previous owners. Whatre you looking at?

Everyone blows the 3.0 issues way out of proportion. Yes some will have the HG issue but a lot will not. Most would have had it fixed by now and if it was done right it is a non issue. I know some 3.0s that have 200k+ on the stock HG and some that had it fixed 100k+ miles ago and have had no issues since.

depends on the car, maintenance/replacements performed and the quality of ownership

if you're asking in relation to a specific car, nothing really. mostly just looking for something under $5k with a clean history, not too many owners, and routine maintenance. also preferably under 120k miles.

I was under the same budget and parameters. Good luck finding anything worth your time with that mileage for your money. Realistically look in the 150s.

not worth it

owner treated the car like shit
magic chink toyota label will not save it from mechanic failure

did you consider financing at all? i've been thinking about it, but am trying to avoid it for the most part. if i financed, i wouldn't want to go over $8k (i'd look at putting half down).

Find me a manual 4wd 4runner under $4500 in georgia with less than 200k miles. Please. I dare you.

Financing wasn't really an option. I'm buying used from a private party, and when I buy it I want the sale to be finished, not drug out over several weeks/months.

> $3200 for a 22 year old yota with a 170k on it

Fuck that shit

yeah, that's what i'm thinking. buying from a private party, i'd want the transaction completed immediately. it's just tough to find good cars under 5k that don't need a whole lot of work, which is why i'm considering buying from a dealership.

I think it'll help if you get a car or kind of car in mind to look for. You can't go shopping if you walk in the store with no idea what you want to buy.

I've been waiting years for this kind of car.

Should I do it Veeky Forums?

orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5599413679.html

Holy fuck my ass that's nice. So nice it shouldn't be on craigslist. However it's an automatic so it kinda kills the entire spirit of the car.

Tread lightly.

yeah, i haven't gone into a dealership without having a specific car in mind. i've looked on general car sites (autotrader, cargurus, cars) and even dealer sites. unfortunately, i hit the wall with cars i could pay off right away.

i've been looking on craigslist, too, but there's really only a few i can find that seem to have clean histories and still look decent/good for their age.

thus, i'm thinking about financing. the car-buying process is without a doubt a hassle.

I will. Thanks m800.

Power to ya son. Have patience with craigslist and private ads. The car will come eventually for the right price. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but with time.

Dealership is a last resort.

thanks, user.