Besides them guzzling gas big time, are there any major reasons to not get a 60-70s station wagon?

Besides them guzzling gas big time, are there any major reasons to not get a 60-70s station wagon?

So long as you're not spending too much, I say go for it. I'd pay to have the interior professionally cleaned, however.

Reliability

just how much do you really want atrocious build quality?

parts scarcity

I regret not buying a 68 town a country with a 440 about a year ago. DOO EEET

the real question is why the fuck would you want one?

The amount of space it has compared to coupes or sedans, and I like the aesthetic.

Because vans are way more cozy.

Who actually bought late-80s - early-90s GM sedans or wagons?

They're literally 70s tech and design. It'd fit right in into 1978.

Do it, user. Get your landbarge on.

>Buy old Chebby wagon shitbox
>Swap out engine for the 4.3 Vortec
>Put modern roller rockers, and hollow modern pushrods, and trash the fuel injection system for a carb
>Replace the tranny for a built turbo 400
>Roll around town, Only go 20 in town and 55 on freeway.
>Keep car immaculate
>It'll be the most reliable thing you ever owned
>start a movement
>All teens in town driving old wagons with your amalgamation of GM parts
>Start a gang called the "Barge Boys"

I'm ready for the movement to start.

Old, unreliable, rusted to shit, unsafe, crappy brakes, no crash protection, no braking power, low HP/L, no power steering or power anything, and more than likely an automatic gearbox.

I second . WHY? Is this a suicide attempt?

Well that's a 90s Staton wagon.

>everything must be part of a scene
fucking millenials

Just buy a subaru legacy

because I can buy a late 80's /early 90's volvo 240 station wagon that is far superior

>it will only be cool once other follow suit
you're mentally deficient

Way to generalize, bro.

They do have power brakes and steering standard, braking is average or better, definitely not poor, rustiness is situational. True, they only had autos, and the engines got choked down horribly, but you can swap in any combo you want, all GM V-8s fit in that engine bay. Then there's style, no driving around in some stupid aerobubble, just you and your brick against the world.

>space
Get one of these, user.

70s vans>70s wagons

/thread

they have no style tho

theyre lifeless appliance cars

>>Swap out engine for the 4.3 Vortec

I can attest to user's suggestion. The Vortec is a solid block. Have over a quarter a million on mine and it's still kicking fine.

This has to be one of the most autistically enthusiastic posts I've ever seen.

The main reason is lacking important technology like fuel injectors, disc brakes, airbags, power steering etc that will make driving them pretty miserable.

Plenty of nice 80s and 90s wagons with these features.

>90s
>airbags
What do you have against being alive, user?

I just broke 470k on my work van

A ton of people back in the 90s. They predate the soccer mom suv craze

I own a 87 caprice brougham, runs smooth and everything is top! 156k on it, gonna drive it till the engine dies, which is unlikely cause they last for ever, so they say. currently has a 305. Eventually when I reach 200k I will retire the engine and swap it out for a 350 and a new tranny if (if it still works well)

>not owning an old school shag wagon

I'm very jelly of your caprice

Are you black

>giant, comfy highway cruiser with loads of room
>lifeless appliance

am I being memed, is this what memeing is?

>chevy caprice on stock wheels
He's whiter than a shit of copy paper.

I'd put a Ford 4.6l v8 triton those are super reliable and get good gas mileage

>trash the fuel injection system for a carb

Bottom line - a vortec 4.3, bone stock as installed in zillions of late 90's model trucks and vans, puts out the same or better power as every TBI or Quadrajet era small block GM put in these wagons. On top of that, it's lighter, better constructed, and gets better gas mileage.

The only downside is that when you remove the computerized engine management from one of these engines, you have to switch from regular to premium gas. No knock sensor + centrifugal timing advance + 87 octane + 9.2:1 compression = detonation.

Vans are cool too, but I'll always be a wagon guy.

>he said as he puttered away in his 20 year old Corolla

But 90's vans are better than both

>no doorgate