Dash cam

What are some of the best dash cams under $200?

Other urls found in this thread:

candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400136-Disassembly-of-some-UltraFire-batteries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

cellphone with duck flavoured duct tape.

B40/A118

>stealth as fuck

Your mom. On top of giving me head while on the road she can act as a witness

Rexing V1

Xiaoyi Yi.

xiaomi

I liked my mini 0805 a lot until it stared making a high pitched squealing. Now the audio is trash because although the cap or inductor that is whining is inaudible while driving, it's all you can hear if you watch a video.

Papago 272

The low cost DP branded ones squeal or start squealing as they get a bit older. It's a low volume squealing which can be heard if you only have talk radio on. My car is quiet enough that the squealing can be easily heard if the radio or music is turned off.

The DP type electronics seems to be made by some chinese factory that supplies the same internals to a bunch of other low cost dashcam makers in the $79 range and lower. Some of the other brands have a similar LCD screen but the upper part with the camera is differently shaped. But the general clamshell approach remains similar as do the control buttons and features, so the inside electronics are probably the same.

On sale, the DP ones are as low as $19.97 in a retail store (this week in my area). I bought one and it squeals just like everyone else said. But it will be a temporary one until I find a better model on sale.

Wouldn't you be better off getting one that needs a power supply?Constantly charging and draining the battery on a cheap model would limit its lifespan.

The DP brand one can use either the lithium ion flatpack battery or 12volt power from an adapter you plug into the car's 12 volt outlet. The 12v adaptor actually converts it down to USB voltage range for the DP unit. When operating, it seems to give priority to the 12volt power first instead of using the rechargeable battery. If it detects the car power is turned on, it begins recording and turns off when the 12v power also turns off.

Since the 12volt outlets in the car automatically turn on when I start the car and turn off when I leave the car, the recording works out fairly well and I don't even think about it anymore.

The only thing I worry about is that the chinese-made lithium ion battery will catch fire if it fails. It will then melt the DP case and drip down onto the console.

>plugging your dashcam into the cigarette lighter like a pleb

Seems like a great feature for a cheapie. Mine only has a 12v power supply so you have to wait a few seconds upon startup to charge the capacitor though.

100$ MiVue tbqh

That squealing is called coil whine.

Anyway, I bought a Blackvue. It was way overpriced, but the video quality and software is pretty good and it looks sexy as fuck.

Surface mount caps do it too.

are there any solid quality cams that don't have gps/speed recording?

>The only thing I worry about is that the chinese-made lithium ion battery will catch fire if it fails.

LiOn batteries are supposed to have multiple built-in safeguards, but chinese makers increase profits by faking them. Here is an investigative review of Ultrafire LiOn batteries taken apart for a review at Candlepower forums. They really dislike a lot of chinese batteries (due to discovered fake claims).

Investigative Review:
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400136-Disassembly-of-some-UltraFire-batteries

Quote excerpts:
"I wanted to check the construction of some more cheap batteries, this time it is 3 UltraFire batteries.

It looks real enough, this is the way a LiIon battery is made.

Safety Fail #1: but it does not contain any mechanishm to break the connection when the battery vents.

Safety Fail #2: it is made very cheap without PTC and CID.

Printed Lie: But on the battery it says it has protection and that the circuit board (PCB) will last for 10 years

Problem: protection is usual placed at the bottom of the cell, but there is no protection present here and as we saw above the top is also without protection.

Lie: And here it says it has a protection circuit, lets check the bottom. ... No trace of a protection circuit, but it looks like there is a metal plate on the bottom

Fake product:
Looks like there is some corrosion on the bottom and 4 marks in a square. These marks shows that the cell is from a battery pack and with the corresion and a not working cell, it is probably from a used battery pack"

That LiOn wasn't even new, but a used cell repackaged into a new container! Cheaply sourced battery parts! I like how various assertions are in print but are fake assertions. No wonder Sony LiOn (made in china) caught on fire in Dell laptops years ago. No actual safety circuits. Then Boeing had those LiOn fires on board their planes. Those power assemblies came from Japan but used china LiOn batteries.

Plenty but if you don't want that shit then wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an action cam?

Action cams are shit as dashcams. They don't loop record, they don't write protect on impact, they don't have a motion detect record feature, they don't power on automatically...

Nobody cares where you live, go back to /g/