Why would anyone buy an MX5/Miata over pic related?

Why would anyone buy an MX5/Miata over pic related?

>way, way, way faster
>way more fun to drive
>better sound
>looks cooler
>no gay soft-top
>four doors, four seats
>way more storage space
>not much more unreliable
>not much worse on fuel (like it matters)
>able to produce ridiculous power with a bit of modding
>just as cheap, if not cheaper depending on your region

so why didn't you buy one?

Didn't fancy rebuilding the engine every year

becuase the Miata is easier to maintain, and normal fags can't into doritos.

They really are for people who do their own maintenence whereas any dumbass can buy a miata and not worry about apex seals.

>>not much worse on fuel (like it matters)
>>able to produce ridiculous power with a bit of modding

these things are false though

How hard is it to replace the apex seals on those? People act like it's some huge deal on Veeky Forums but is it that much more difficult than a typical engine rebuild?

its about 36 hours labour and you need $400 of special tools

>way way way faster
1.5sec to 60 doesn't justify 3 "way" s
>only slightly worse fuel economy
Lol. Don't forget oil costs either.
>only slightly less reliable
Lol. Im not a memesprouting tart, but the 4banger in the miata is an extremely durable unit. The renesis, not so much. On top of that you need a perfectly cared for renesis for this equation, early models are usually ruled out because of the oiling problems as well.
>4 doors, no soft top, more storage
This makes them different cars what aren't even competing, dipshit.
>modding
Lol, if you think you can get increase your power to weight by a higher percentage than a miata for the same money, you're retarded.
>just as cheap
Very regional, bad rx8s are over twice as pricy as mx5s where I live.

>36 hours of labor
Does that include pulling the engine out and putting it back in? If so then that's not TOO terrible, it'd be doable over a couple of weekends.

>$400 of special tools

damn, like what exactly? How much do the seals and gasket kit that you'd need cost?

>not competing
Is it RWD? then its competing
I fucking despise the looks of the Miata and I hate convertibles, I live in forever sunny land and convertible cars are still worthless.

Pretty hard to rebuild at home. Not ludicrously expensive if you pull it, tear it down and take it to a rotary shop though. Still not super cheap

Renesis a shit. Would KL-ZE swap and turbo, though.

>10 mpg

Get a lancia stratos then, if all rwd vehicles are competing in the same segment.

>>way, way, way faster
True
>>way more fun to drive
Subjective
>>better sound
Subjective
>>looks cooler
I think it's hideous. Subjective.
>>no gay soft-top
True, though I wouldn't call soft tops "gay" just "awful"
>>four doors, four seats
Either pro or con depending on what you want
>>way more storage space
True
>>not much more unreliable
Objectively false.
Objectively false, though it doesn't matter much.
>>able to produce ridiculous power with a bit of modding
Objectively false.
>>just as cheap, if not cheaper depending on your region
Objectively false. You can find a decent miata for $3,000, but a $5,000 RX8 will be a basketcase.

Lol so all rwd cars are viable opposers? Get an econoline van cunt. No soft top there.

Because this exists. What a beauty.

The shining example for vans for decades to come.

So what exactly makes it more difficult to do at home than a normal engine? I've completely torn down and rebuilt a couple of liquid cooled, overhead cam motorcycle engines and have a decent amount of tools/equipment at my disposal.

Not him, but it's actually easier to rebuild.

>way, way, way faster
uh-uh. Less than a second faster down the 1/4mi than a NC Miata.

lmao in the UK I can get an MX5 or RX8 for 500 quid easy, are you Americunts mad?

Nope. I can find plenty of cars for $500 and they'll be just as shit as your 500gbp cars

But they are angry now

And how much does it cost per year to insure either of those cars where you're from?

slower than a corvette

more like smug

>>not much more unreliable
False. RX8s are terribly unreliable
RX8s have the fuel economy of a V10

How does Veeky Forums feel about the 2?

>not a convertible
That's why

I can't stand cars with radio antennas in that spot so I hate it.

No different than a fiesta, and the fiesta has the ST package.

3 is a better option

Only the speciality tools really.

TRYING TOO FUCKING HARD OP

SHIT MPGS

LOOKS DOUCHEY AS FUCK AND EVERYONE KNOW IT

LEL "SUICIDE DOORS" SO HARDCORE

ROTARY ENGINES ARE TICKING TIMEBOMBS

Those are reasons enough. There are good reasons the MX5 is still in production and this is not.

Because it's a 100hp sewing machine engine that uses no fuel and has a monopoly on the male retiree market?

Rx8s aren't that good for modding without an engine swap

people on Veeky Forums act like its a huge deal because they have no idea what they are talking about.
rotary engines are very simplistic and take half the time to rebuild than any piston engine.

>oh look it's this thread again

MX5 is a sports car in the tradition of lightweight British sportscars of the 1960s.

RX8 is a modern grand tourer.

Horses for courses mate

RX-8's are like RX-7's, except not worth the money or maintenance needed to keep them going.

>Miata
>Sports car

rotary engine

Really makes you think

If I was going to buy a rotary Mazda purely for an impractical project / weekend driving car, should I get a RX7 or a RX8?

QT

Though id probably go for a 3 cylinder fiesta instead desu

scratch that, stupid question

After a quick google search on the differences between the two, RX7 is the only answer

apex seals
lolfueleconomy
mazda quality rust bucket
fails emission test

That fuel hungry bitch does matter. Not from a money standpoint not to me anyway but a forum I'm part of went on a driving trip and the rx8 fuel twice as often as any other car and was easily the slowest car. Held corner speed fine but powering out especially uphill in the passes. ..forgetaboutit.

>that picture

Well, yeah. The rx8 isn't designed for water.

You wouldn't take your gf for a comfy drive into the countryside in your RX8
The roof doesn't come down.

No one wants the rx8, it's a shitbox that's why you can get them for $2k.

>ugly
>girls car design
>no torque
>slow
>4 doors
>engine replacement / rebuild every 60k
>worse on fuel than a v8
>burns oil by design

It's just junk and everyone knows it other than wankle hardons.

>it's a shitbox that's why you can get them for $2k.
This. MX-5 never really took off in my country, but there are millions of offers from people trying to sell RX-8 for 2-3 times less money than NC Miatas being sold here and all offers are like "I only used it on weekends so very low mileage it's totally fine". Like I swear 2/3 of offers basically about how the owner barely used the car, it's fucking ridiculous. At least RX-7 is a legit sport cat, this one is just meant too look somewhat snappy.

ausfag here Rx8's go for 7-8k (shit ones) while NA and NB mx5's go for about the same :(

Well , MX-5 is better if the price is the same especially since you can actually utilize open roof in Australia.