Starting residency next year looking at $50k per year

Starting residency next year looking at $50k per year.

I want to buy an older porsche. Would this be a mistake considering maintenance? How are they running? What years would I want? Budget wise you can see what I'll be working with for the next several years.

Would I be happier getting a VW or rabbit and waiting until real $$$ and loans are paid off?

im also interested in this

a 964 made to look like a green 930 is my dream car

You're making a mistake. Buy something more practical, like the Bedford Rascal

Do you have a house?

I like this meme

Old Porsches get my rocks off OP, but you need serious cash to make them worthy.

>50k a year
thinks he can own a vintage 911

TOP KEK

Fuck off
>residency
>buys porsche
wew
i know you're excited to have a positive income finally, but now you just have what the averagely successful adult has

Do you have no debt? What specialty are you aiming for?

he can if he lives with his parents and doesn't have to pay for shit i guess

Interest free from parentals. My wife already makes 60k a year. We will rent until my residency is over.

Surgery or neph

>the maintenance meme
all cars are the fucking same.

anything that's mechanical and carb'd isnt going to have tons of maintenance. it's the 80s and 90s cars with shitty electronic """features"""" that sometimes break, but its not like any car is out there breaking all the time.

if you want one just buy one. if you cant keep up with whatever it needs, just sell it.. the prices arent going anywhere.

You need to wait until you're a full doctor and then buy/lease a new Porsche like a real, new doctor.

50K isn't a lot of money and an old Porsche will be expensive and not entirely reliable.

What you really need right now is a car that you can pay off very quickly and will cost you nothing other than insurance, gas, and oil changes. Set yourself up for huge success when you actually become a doctor.

If you want a car that says "I am a professional, working adult and have good taste", get yourself a newer 3-series.

You want a 3.0 911 SC
Expect to pay top dollar.

>$50k per year
>thinks he can own an old Porsche
Just lease a new GTI or something.

Do we have numbers experience with this or what are you basing this off of?

Aircooled porsches are reliable and not that expensive to maintain if you fork out the money for a good example

>tfw no prussian blue porsche

go fucking look on craigslist and come back and you'll see why everyone is scoffing at you.

There's no way you're going to afford a good example when you're making 50k a year. That's the fucking point.

Look, I'm gonna tell you the truth no one wants to hear. Cars made before about 1990 are not reliable enough to DD. You cannot trust an '80s Porsche to start up every morning. You can try and live the dream, but sadly it just won't work.

Buy a 996 if you don't mind the looks, since 993s are getting pricey.

>Look, I'm gonna tell you the truth no one wants to hear.
But you've never owned a pre 1990 car and have no idea what you are talking about

>in debt
>buys a car he doesn't need

hahahahaha fuck you.

As long as he doesn't go for a Turbo or a Carrera, it's entirely possible to get a good example on that kind of budget. It won't be very practical, mind you, but old 911S' are fairly priced. 911Ts even more so since nobody wants them.

two cars from 1972

The 911SC with the 3.0 Engine would be the best buy at that price range. 1978-1983. They area great blend of cheap to buy (for an aircoold porsche) and classic 911. Expect to pay 20-30k. They drive great, but do keep in mind that an engine rebuild is $15k, and tranny would be around $10k.
Source: my father bought one in 2012 for 19k with a rebuilt engine. Trans rebuild was about 10k.

If you can't set up a pre smog carb'd car to start every day you are going to have trouble with any car you own from any era

Well, for me, they started every day, but I couldn't trust them on the highway.
Once you went over 55-60 the engine couldn't take it.
What old cars have you daily driven?

>Starting residency
>$50k a year
>Thinks he can afford to keep a Porsche

How many dicks did you suck to get yourself through school? Its clear your grades didn't.

Couldn't take what? Any car from 1972 is more than capable of driving on the highway. I've only DD'd classics since 2002, 72 Nova, 63 Nova, 64 Comet

How much was the maintenance for your Porsche user?

Yes but you can't reliably commute with one.
Maybe if it's fucking pristine, but otherwise no.

What is it, it won't start every day, you can't drive on the freeway, or you can't reliably commute? At least think out your story you plan on making up before talking out your ass. Old cars are extremely simple, it's not difficult or unreasonable to DD them, as I and many others do.

It isn't all at once, or all together, you faggot
That should be obvious to you

Tfw I make 73k a year and I am not even delusional enough to think I could afford a Porsche for at least a few years

Okay, spill it, user. What classic car did you try to DD that shat out on you?

My dad bought a 77 porsche with 85 engine/suspension. He's spent 4k the past 9 years, but I don't think he's done anything major. He has around 20k in it in total. It's a blast to drive and I love the sound. He supposedly had an oil leak but after driving it around for 2 weeks I haven't seen the oil gauge really dip (unless he's secretly adding more oil.)

at least with my dad's experience if you take care of it it won't just shit the bed. I see a lot of memes flung on this board on old 911s but I don't really get them.

>residency.
>Implying you will have time.

Just get an old Saab 900 convertible to get you places.

>Would I be happier getting a VW or rabbit and waiting until real $$$ and loans are paid off?

My bad dude didn't read OP completely ignore

>15174602
>15174614

Why are you considering a car like this if you don't have the money to blow on them? Don't even get a VW rabbit, get a decent shitbox that won't break.