Ls1 / F body general

Sup faggots.
Buying an '00 trans am Friday (t top master race reporting in) so;
>>itt general ls1 discussion

Its shit tier white in color but ill be painting it red when i save money by the time i put it away for the winter.
Unfortunately not a ws6 car but oh well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_83LgU4-4CA
worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5564682816.html
worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5595268924.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why paint it red when you can buy a Bedford Rascal in Super Red already?

Just repaint it a different color. How many miles and how much are you paying?

>Buying an '00 trans am Friday

sorry OP

8k 55k miles.
So even if i drop 4k (high end estimate) on a legit paint job im still getting a decent deal

>>red
>>tinted windows
>>chrome wheels

Gonna look sweet bro.

>12k

you can find a c5 for that

A C5 with over 100,000 miles vs T/A with half as much

nah, just get one from a boomer

Try again faggot.
name one better car for under 10k.
Hard mode; shit box jap traps or high maintenance german cars need not apply.
USA baby.

Bedford Rascal.

>name one better car for under 10k.

lotus elise

wow that was hard

If i had 12k i would do just that. But i have 8k even right now. Will paint in the future when the rest of the money is saved up.

>>b.. but why not just save up and buy a vette then

Because i want a car now nigger

Lol what coke fuled haze do you live in that Elise's are 10k

buy a the trans am then, but remember Veeky Forums told you to get a corvette

>>lotus
grand

>25 years to import an elise s1 that costs 10k

but seriously, do what the other fag says, get a corvette

You're saying you can import an Elise and the cost price in bongland is 10k? Still seems ridiculous. Here in Ausfagland they're 35k, if I could import a 10k one I'd be buying them all day and selling them over here.

Like someone else said. A t/a with 50k > a vette with over 100k

Regardless, with a vette (as awesome as they are) u really gotta ask if they're worth the extra insurance/upkeep/etc cost

On a middle class budget, not so much.

the import tax and the import cost to take it to aus seems fucking expensive

if you want to flip cars just buy japanese shitboxes and sell them in aus

I love these t/a's but these cars go for stupid crazy high asking prices

k miles
>>dude asked 14k

Have fun not getting any buyers and being forced to put the ad back up asking about 4k lower cuz u couldnt sell. Even then no matter how nice it is I would never pay 10k for a car with over 100k miles

>lotus elise
>10K
nigga WOT?

Ausfag who just thrashed the crap out of their LS1 Commodore here

FARKEN DO IT CUARNT

do it fag

a paintjob is gonna cost you 50% of the car's value.
not worth it

also, white is a rare color, as must fbody were red or black.

Even if early Elises were 10k they still aren't even close to as good as a C5 vette

OP was talking about a trans am, not a vette

>Not painting it at home in a camper tent

LOOSE CUNT

Just looked it up. 20k absolute Min purchase price for the Elise. + 18 percent on import tax + 3kish to ship.

No way in hell im keeping it white. White belongs in luxury cars or whatever but not sports cars.

Those t/a's look trash in white imo.

And what do y mean it will cost half the cars value ??? Im hoping i can get it done professionally for 2-3k but if i have to spend 4-5k so be it. Will just take longer to save up.

But fuck no will i keep it white.

>20k

thats the minimum for an s2, s1 are way cheaper

the whole at home thing is a fuck-ton of work, trust me, I know.(same color as that fbody btw)

white is a good color
hides scratches
UV resistant
already a rare Fbody color.

spend $5000 for a paintjob on a 10K car.
thats retarded.

well like i said, even if i pay 5k plus the 8k for the car thats still 13k for a 55k mile trans am. with the condition its in and the little bit of work thats been done to it its still a fair deal.

i want a t/a in red. and i cant find one under 15k that isnt 400 miles away so this works for me..

serious question though, what can i legitimately expect to pay to get a real, professional paint job done on that car. i know they say red is the most expensive color to paint ur car too. but even still i dont expect to really have to shell out 5k

Autotrader UK. Cheapest Elise is 10k pounds = 20k aud. Probably didn't lino to my above post saying I'm Ausfag.

>willing to spend 5k for a paint job.
>currently saving up 5k to get heads, TB, tune, subframes, suspension, brakes-rotors, t56 stage 2 rebuild kit.

Mines forest green and fading in spots but i couldnt give a shit what it looks like i just want it faster.

bro i got a bike if i wanna go fast
not to mention dat license points
one more speeding ticket and im fucked

i just want it because its a car ive always been a fan of, and a look ive always loved. nothing better than having a car that you always turn around to get a second look at after parking.

Fair enough homie. Hope it goes your way.

>faster
Start with gears (and a converter if AT).

Already have 4/10s
Dont need converter

What makes you think a ls1 vette costs more to maintain than a ls1 camaro? Also did you get insurance quotes cause you might be surprised.

I fully support a T/A mind. But saying a vette is more to maintain is nonsense. Wait till you break one of those t-tops.

Are all or at least some F-body cars V8s? If so I want one.
Also, can a based user answer my questions?
>Is it cheap?
>Is it reliable?
>Is it fast?

Red '99 LS1 Trans Am here. non-WS6.

its better to not be a Ws6. because you get the nicer hood (probably better mpg). and people will mistake it for a v6 firebird

>cheap as fuck

24mpg 89 octane. $75 a month full coverage. $140 ea tires for ultra performance.

the engine itself is extremely reliable and requires only basic maintenance. as with basically the whole car

the only problems ive had have been very minor.
>key looks like its going to break in half
>power seat wiring was shorted
>door latch reset spring broke. makes shutting the driver door funny
>rear hatchback area requires two people to enter. lift gate doesn't release without pulling up

>is it fast

0-60 in 5 seconds flat all day. 90mph is just cruising. makes the interstate fun as fuck

fastest ive been was over 130mph

Oh fuck that sounds good. Is it V8?

>0-60 in 5 seconds

of course it is. a 3800 V6 model firebird struggles to do 10 seconds to 60.

Fucking sold. Anything I should know before I hunt one down?

it doesn't even have to be any paticular model of f-body.

i prefer the LS1, after owning one, but even the older LT1 cars were pretty great. and there even cheaper
>276hp
>20mpg
>slightly lighter car (nose heavier)

with a gen 2 iron block SBC LT1 V8.

what you should look for is a 99-02 LS1 fbody. camaro or trans am.

or 94-97 LT1 fbodies.

don't overlook automatic cars either. muh manual tax is fucking real on these cars

my '99 LS1 AUTOMATIC Trans Am was $2500.

2-5-0-0 USD.

No shit. People underestimate the hell out of these cars.

Welp, I have to get it for sure now. Thank you for the advice based user.

>LS1

>not an SLP Firehawk

weak shit nigga

LS1 would walk it

>a 3800 V6 model firebird struggles to do 10 seconds to 60

Really?

there slow. its a 3500lb car with a shitheap n/a V6 thats supposed to be boosted. this is the engine from a grand prix

even a 3800 V6 y87 performance package car is slow as fucking dog shit

slower than most newer economy cars. and get pig fuel economy

firechicken will probably tell you all about them. he has dumped more money in a v6 firebird than my LS1 cost total

youtube.com/watch?v=_83LgU4-4CA

This guy got it around 7-8 seconds, but that's still pitiful

Truuuu. Fun as shit to drive though.

Yea i dont understand that shit. Pouring buckets of money into making a v6 just as fast as an ls1. When the same amount of money could be used to put an ls1 in it, plus mods.

To each their own i suppose.

my 4.3l vortec V6 2WD S10 pickup truck can do similar times. right under 8 seconds to 60mph.

this is a fucking pickup truck made for hauling cow shit.

op here guess what i actually did have to look for a t top once when i went to a concert with some chick.. on the way back i told her 'hey can u make sure the t top is secured' not realising she really wouldnt understand how to even do that

midnight on the long drive back i floor it on a glorious stretch of open road and t top goes bye bye

one junk yard quoted me 150 bucks for ONE t top, not even the pair (only lost one). luckily i found one for 70 at another place an hr away

those bitches are heavy im lucky i didnt kill anyone too wouldve likely gone through someones windshield

no.. not cheap. people charge stupid high asking price because they claim they are "rare" when theyre really fucking not. trans ams will run you a lot more money than a 90s camaro. but those 4th gen camaros look plain as fuck.

formulas are like trans ams with the ls1 in them but look very plain as well since they dont have the sporty look of the trans am. i never noticed the difference until someone pointed it out and now i cant unsee it.

theyre really not that fast. 275 hp on the 93-97 and 310-325 on the 98-02's ... that was fast in its day but not anymore. however those ls1 engines have big potential with the right mods

op here, owned a v6 'bird and a 99 z28 pic is my z28. those camaros are really plain like i said but if u put the ground effects and an SS hood they look like beasts.

wait.. what ? how will ppl mistake a ws6 for a v6 bird ?? you meant to say it better be a ws6 not better NOT be a ws6 then ?

also, post a pic so i can be jealous

my non-ws6 LS1 car has the same hood as a V6 firebird

>that was fast in its day but not anymore

slow compared to a drag car or something. its pretty fucking fast for the street

>17 years old
>still racing new luxury/sports cars and winning

trans am is so much more aesthetic

Exactly.. That's why im getting a t/a and not another z28/ss.

U put an ss hood and ground effects and those 98-02 camaros can look pretty good in the right color/condition but ta>camaro

You can easily tell a v6 or a formula from a ta.. Look at the front bumper and the rear spoiler. T/a has a much sportier look.

Like i said earlier I thought they were the same shit a formula and a t/a until someone pointed out the difference now i can't unsee it

>buying an LS1 for 4,000 USD instead of a clapped out 240sx for $5000.

Never change, Veeky Forums. Never change.

>chrome wheels
>good

Almost got everything out of mine. Just re doing the wiring and getting ready to throw in my new 383 To bad winter last so fucking long here so it been on hold for a long time.

mah nigga.

My WS6 here. I've had it since '07 and still love it. Just pulled it out of hibernation, have a few things I need to take care of, then I should be enjoying it for the first summer in years.

>rear hatchback are requires two people to enter. lift gate doesn't release without pulling up

Attach a heavier spring to the release spring for the latch mech. The original one gets weak and wont release it properly.

Window motors are another thing to look out for, they tend to fail because of the big piece of glass and sharing voltage. Theres a fix for it which makes both go up and down much quicker and increases the motors life.

kek, years ago a friend and I went to a party and when we got there I had him put on my passenger T-top. On the way back I hear a lot of wind noise at like 70mph. I look over and see the handle sticking straight out so I lunch over and close it.

I have a spare set I got at the pick and pull for $50 now.

>non ws6 is better than ws6

No it's actually not

Idk if u ever seen them but they have the slotted ws6 hoods that look sweet as fuck too lemme go find a pic

worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5564682816.html

Ricerfag detected

worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5595268924.html

Regarding the mythical 10k Lotus in the US, I did find this.

Thats not a WS6 hood. Its an aftermarket that looks similar to the Firehawk hood, but with those large vents.

See

F-body fags :

Can someone please tell me what this damn tube is for? It keeps popping off on the cylinder head cover and I think it's giving me a massive vacuum leak.

>gixxer
>camero

so much bro-dude its almost nice

exhaust gas recirculation

Okay. I'm going to get some gasket maker and try to glue that bitch on there.

Thanks

Not an f body guy, but it looks like PCV to me. I assume the side on the head is what's blowing off? That side sees positive pressure from engine blow by.

yeah i was just going to say that shouldnt be coming off unless its cracked at the end or something

The blowby could be lubricating the tube given that it's got quite a bit of oil in it. Maybe make sure the tube is clean inside and get a good hose clamp. Also ensure that the port it goes on to is flared on the end.

I'm looking at picking up a 4th gen f body soon and I even a lot of people talking about the ls1 vs the lt1. What are the main differences and is either one preferred over the other?

Yup, there's oil on the inside part, not a lot, but it's slippery enough to pop out.

U jelly brah ? Yea u jelly

The difference is 25 hp faggo
Ls1 also have way better hidden potential to be modded

Lt1 'birds are also ugly as shit. Look at the front end nose in them. They literally look like a birds nose.m
U wanna be known as that faggot whos car looks like a bird ?

Are V8 F-bodies reliable?

>gets hostile when given a complement

dude

you have nailed the brodude persona perfectly, pretty nice

>car is named firebird
>look like a birds nose

i dont know user, it makes sense

Fuck F-bodies, you fucking idiots. I mean, who honestly has the tastelessness to buy American made cars after 1973? They vacuum up gas, break down constantly, and aren't worth the shit they are made out of.

t. Good car owner

>ground effects

No.

Former f body owner. Now c5z. I loved my fbody for what it was, and plan on getting another one. Interior isn't the best but speed is intoxicating and the v8 will let you over look other faults. Go full bolt ons and stall it if auto.
White body master race

If you can wrench they are no worse off. Expect problems because it's a 14 year old car at the youngest. Weakest point is the 10 bolt rear, especially in 6 speeds.

you are supposed to buy the engine only, not the shitbox attached to it

Is this you?

>>shit tier aesthetic of a stock z28

Enjoy being mistaken for a sebring faggot

Go to bed alphonse. Hopefully you'll dream up a better meme to force than just a picture of some van.

>>white body master race
>>mfw when i plan on dropping 4gs to NOT keep my car white because it's shit tier

Mine reminds me of my childhood and thinking how cool 3rd gen Camaro looked, it gives me a sense of achievement that I have worked and achieved goals set by 12 year old me.

>muh ram air

the only difference is the ram air intake (pig nose) and sway bars.

changing to a different sway bar is a simple mod. nothing to not buy a car over

I can't compare to red, but white isn't that hard to clean imo. Obvious dirt marks show, but normal dust hides well. Never knew how actually dirty it was till I washed it. But all honesty, do you. But if you plan on repainting, why not go with a more radical color?

>good car owner

probably some fuckboy scion

>vacuum up gas

what part of 24+ mpg N/A V8 is bad? (even more in a corvette)

>break down constantly

i've never had a break down in my fbody. '99 LS1

>worth the shit there made out of

there really not, if it ever gets totaled i'll be able to part it out and make a huge gain. the LS1 V8 is obviously desirable. however just the "Trans Am" trim pieces can fetch nice prices on ebay.

(plus the $6000 its worth to the insurance)