I'm about to buy a pajero io 1999 model

I am about to buy this 1999 model pajero io. My first car and I want to go offroad a little with. I live in the Caribbean so it never gets cold here, but some awesome beaches are only accessible through some offroad tracks. Any tips on the IO?

Also I would want to raise it with a lift kit and put some larger tires but that's much later on.

Picture related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P3OEqh1UBE0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A lift will not make your vehicle more 4x4 viable. Wider tires might, and not driving into unpacked sand might.

If you want to go on the beach, use a fucking quad.

>getting a Mitsubishi Wanker
Where in the Caribbean you at?

OP here winder tires? ok cool. Is it possible to do that on the same rims or no?

St. Lucia

Well basically you're looking to increase surface area. So basically unless you get new rims you're stuck with the same rim size. I'd google what largest size fits on it stock.

Also if it's going near sand I'd invest in some kind secondary filtration system. Pantyhose over the air filter or something.

Nice, you have actual mountains there, we just have a bunny hill in Aruba

>all these people needing Jeeps to go off roading
>I follow them in my shitbox Lancer just fine

OP-
Ok awesome! Ill keep that in mind. Getting it next week and really excited!!!

we have some steep mountains, deep valleys and river paths. the extra ground clearance and 4 wheel drive will help greatly

More important than the size of the tire is the tread. Street tires are shit. The biggest improvement you can do is get a set of off-road tires even if they are the same size as your old ones.

Also, you definitely do not want wide tires. They are actually worse for grip. The narrower and the taller the tire the better it will be. If you go on soft sand, just let some of the air out

For more ground clearance, get taller tires and a lift. The main reason for the lift is so the new tires will not rub on your mudguards. The actual clearance will come from the tires.
You don't need new rims for tall tires.

Also, if you do any night driving get a set of spotlights.

ahhh Awesome!! I'll keep that in mind. I cant find lifts for an IO anywhere. Know any good sites to get them?

ayyy wha go? ios are pretty good offroad and proper 4wd but only a few shops in japan really carry upgraded parts. so you'll have tow get a local fab guy to do up parts. an escudo is a better option out of the bo

mfw in my country pajero means wanker

That was already pointed out

You probably just want to do a body lift, because longer springs (or wound-up torsion bars, I can't remember what io's have) will reduce your suspension travel.

Body lifts are pretty simple, it's just spacers that go between your chassis and the body to give you more tyre clearance.

I think you'll be very suprised at how capable a short wheelbase car like that is with just different tyres, though

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the tips and help user! I'm even more excited now.

FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKERS THE PAJERO IS AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE

It's really not. It's pretty low on the list of competitors

ya will your mum wasn't a clad but i settled to shag her arse

>pajero io

Why not a challenger, or full size one? ios are rather underpowered for what they are. Get a full size Pajero with the intercooled 2.8

Not the io, the big daddy pajero is awesome though

You can't do a body lift. Its a unibody or whatever

>the pajero is one vehicle

Not that dude but that's as much of a pajero as a lancer is an evo

While that may be the case, the IO still stands on its own as an excellent compact offroader.
Throughout the Noughties, there wasn't much else besides that and a Grand Vitara.

> ios are rather underpowered for what they are
That makes no sense what soever. They're aptly powered "for what they are", and that's a compact 4x4.

i have the intercooled turbo delica , it's great

you getting the diesel?

AFAIK they were never available with a diesel. Just a 4G93 or 4G94. When it's a 1300kg car, a diesel's not really needed.
Me personally, I have an NL Paj with the same motor as yours. It too is great ;)

missed the io part, whoops

St.Vincent here. Where are you?

We have lots of the GDI IO models and they seem to do fine.

I get to beaches through offroad tracks just fine with a Kia K2700 which is a cabover 2wd no weight on the rear end truck.

The only thing you may require is ground clearance so I won't worry about 4x4 so much.

Since you are a West Indian I assume that you have seen Rasta men take Nissan Sunny's up and down trails where most white people need 4x4 so why the fuck are you asking this question?

Ay yo.

I just been 'Nica recently. Your island is beautiful, your roads are smooth and your people are nice.

Thanks dread.

You know Seaman? The surveyor?

You are forgetting the Jimny, Feroza, Cami/Terios and at least 3 more I can't recolect right now

>Cami/Terio
You're right, I did forget the Feroza. Although I think you're overestimating the Terios.

As a man who sees small japanese offroaders every day, all day long I can tell you that the 4x4 Terios and Mitsu IO are very close in terms of offroad prowess.

I can tell you first hand they're not. Unless your idea of "offroad prowess" is traversing gravel roads.

As I can tell you first hand that they are. I am not some first worlder fool who goes out of his way to of road for pleasure. I go off the road because that is where my work is.

We don't have gravel trails here. It is all mountainous jungle in which you actually can't drive a vehicle through unless you cut a path first. Even some parts of our main road (road, not roads) can be considered off road trails by american standards seeing as not too long ago I came across a wrangler stuck in a pothole

What's it like living in paradise?

As long as you have patience, a high tolerance to alcohol, can live under a bridge, don't mind getting dirty and violent.

Pretty fucking awesome.

nope, gas powered

Lol, Yeah I've seen rastas do some cool stuff with cars. but better to have it and not need it than need/ it and not have it. and there are some roads that two wheelers would just struggle down here. So that's why, and i'll be getting the vehicle next week so I'm learning as much as I can since it's my first car.

One Caribbean, One love.

Awesome man!! Island life is awesome!! Laid back, stress free. only experiencing it can make you understand

>down here

Dread, you are North of me. I think you mean "up here".

If you are already set on the IO then start checking to see if there are any dedicated IO forums as they tend to shed more light on common problems and have the best "HOW TO" than anything else.

If not I would say just get the most popular 4x4 in Lucia. Here it is the Escudo and parts are really cheap.

Like $50 EC for a set of brake pads and $20 for a head gasket. $9 for an oil filter and so on.

vibe vibe. respect.

youtube.com/watch?v=P3OEqh1UBE0

You coming AR WE mas this year?

Lol, my work to involves nothing but off-roading.
And I can tell you your anecdote does nothin to prove the contrary. You have on one hand, a compact SUV based on a Daihatsu Charade with a differential in the rear, and another compact SUV that has a selectable locking centre, low range and a full coil sprung radius arm rear end of its full size cousin.
Ive seen it first hand, and it's like comparing a RAV4 with a Prado. There is no contest.