I've got myself a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I towed my wifes car over 2300 miles with it...

I've got myself a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I towed my wifes car over 2300 miles with it, and now my trany is starting to slip because of it. What do? I'm gonna change the trany fluid today, is there anything else I can do to save my beautiful mud crawler?

Trans is probably toast but put the biggest cooler on it you can to help keep Temps down.

>6500ibs towing rating
What the fuck were you towing? Were you an idiot that floored it everywhere the whole way?

Nothing you can do to save it, unless you can go back in time to put a bigger tranny cooler on it.

I towed a 2014 Chevy Cruz. There is a shit load of massive hills I had to drive up and down through Canada, and then a stretch of dirt road that lasted 100 miles.

Fuck, seriously? Is there anything I can do to prolong it's death? My uncle runs his own shop and he told me to park it and sell it before it's worthless, but I can't afford to buy another Jeep right now.

>There is a shit load of massive hills I had to drive up and down through Canada
Let me guess, you tried to maintain the speed limit going up them?

No, I dropped to about 50 going up hills and turned my OD off, and then I coasted going down the other side of the hill.

Picknpull a functional Trans is going to be your best bet for fixing it without shelling out 4k
You'll be out about 700 for the r&r still if you don't do it yourself.
Also, you didn't lock it out of overdrive while towing did you?

>Is there anything I can do to prolong it's death
Go check the fluid levels. If you're a lucky bastard then idk, some of it might have leaked somewhere and you just need to top it up. Low tranny fluid can cause slipping. If the color is anything past a dull red you're fucked.

>No, I dropped to about 50 going up hills and turned my OD off,
You don't tow using OD period you retarded fuck.

The fluid is burnt as fuck. When I floor it on the free way it slips going into 3rd and goes to 5000rpm, until I let off of it and then it shifts into 3rd.

>2000 GC

Does it have the 5 speed or 4 speed trans?

The 4 speeds were notoriously bad, not just with jeeps, all of Chryslers line up included. The 5 speed just needs a band adjustment, fluid change and a tranny cooler.

It's a 5 speed. Is my Jeep even salvageable, or am I fucked? I seriously don't know what to do. I live in a new city and I'm scared shitless. I don't want to not have a car, because I won't be able to get a job.

I didn't think it would be that bad because it was with a tow dolly, and a light ass car. Can I save it? It only has like 137k miles on it, and I babied the shit out of it the whole time i've owned it. Even when I was off roading it.

>The fluid is burnt as fuck.
>or am I fucked
You're fucked. Maybe next time you tow something that heavy like a retard. In something like a GC, 50mph should have been your cruising speed on the highway with a 4000+ pound load, not your speed going up a steep hill.

>a light ass car
That thing weighs over 3000 pounds if there's nothing in it.
>tow dolly
>nearly 2300 miles
Jesus Christ user it just gets worse and worse.
No you can't save it, if the fluid is black it means you've killed a bunch of shit in the transmission with heat. Take this as a lesson to do some fucking research next time.

>I live in a new city
So you were towing it due to moving? Does that mean the jeep was packed with boxes as well? If so then that just made it all the worse.

*you won't tow

WJs are shit to begin with. And now the transmission is on it's way out.

Sell it to the pick n pull, and pick up a 5.3 while you're there to swap into the XJ you're about to buy.

kek you are brutal

With oversized tires you put a multiplier on the loads too, the ratings were all based on the oem tires, bigger tirees equates to more stress. So that load would be similar to a oem wheeled rig towing an extra 1-2k lbs over yours.
Buy a shitbike for the summer and commute on it until you can fix or replace the Jeep

its a 545rfe? those are supposed to be very tough.. so i'm surprised. Change the fluid, check for codes... you don't have tow or no o/d selected do you?

Yup! Do you have faith in me that I can save it without replacing the tranny? I just need it to last long enough for me to be able to drive it while I wait to sell it.

you aren't going to disclose the tranny problems, are you?

>towing a car uphill at 50 with no O/D

Jesus

you shouldn't use overdrive when towing anyways, but this guy had multiple problems with how he was towing and for how long.

You don't tow in OD at all.

What did the fluid look like before the trip? Was it full?

>before it's worthless
>basic auto gearbox replacement
Your uncle is a fucking retard.

This is a

once an auto starts slipping youre not supposed to change the trans fluid
just slowly let it die

Yeah... I kinda typoed that, was supposed to be OD on.... I'm a faggot, ignore me

ur a scumbag m8

Sometimes it's just a plugged filter, so the fluid change allows the filter to be changed too.

OP here. I just re checked the tranny fluid and its still pretty pinkish red.

Recheck the trans then, it's probably fine.

Mechanically the trans should be fine.. it was built for rougher duty than what you did. its the trans used in ram truck 5.7s.

Fluid and filter change then see how it does.
Also does the fluid smell like crayons?

FWIW, the WJ has a retarded OD Off program that locks the converter at 30mph unless at 80 percent throttle or greater. Under normal operation converter lock-up is 47 or 53 mph depending on load. I can't imagine how slow the thing would be towing with a locked converter trying to climb out of the hole from 30mph. Even not towing you find yourself wishing they'd chosen 35mph instead of 30.

I have an 02 Durango with the same Trans and you can keep it unlocked pretty easily while towing, you just have to learn the trigger points. Mine will unlock with a good gap before it'll kick down. Then just modulate throttle to keep it unlocked. The ridiculous axle ratios are a bigger problem than the lockup

you're a fucking idiot
you can buy a level 3 kit and just rebuild the trans

that clutch pack is definitely warn

but OPs an idiot too because he doesn't mention shit about what exact vehicle he has

he probably never changed any fluids