Washington Veeky Forums Meet

When? Sunday, June 5th

Where? One of these locations, vote now! strawpoll.me/10259368

Join the Washington Veeky Forums meet Kik, add your username here and you will be added.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15057755
travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/olympic-peninsula-washington-road-trip/
exotichikes.com/five-of-the-most-scenic-national-park-drives-washington-state/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Car_Museum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMay_Family_Collection_Foundation
pyrolandfireworks.com/products.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So who is going! I'm making a kik right now just to go.

Also paradise road is going to be the best place.

i ought to be there, but not sure if i should take hte bike or go full tard and take the bft for shits

I should be able to make it

Keep in mind guys that it costs $25 per car to get into the park and drive on paradise road

For the Leavenworth to I90 route, are we talking Hwy 2 towards Wellington or Hwy 97 towards cle elum?

it can be a loop with both but 97 will usually be much more free flowing in and out of leavenworth, 2 gets plugged up with seattle area traffic
i ran the loop on sunday and its a great run but is pretty long for a sunday drive with breaks

What about the peninsula route? Would we just drive on hwy 101 north along the coast? That sounds fun, the ocean looks amazing there and there are a lot of cool spots to take breaks. I went there earlier this year, Rialto beach is super cool

we havent had much interest in it thus far so if you know a good route out there map it and post it.
ive been out a few times but not by car so my perception of it is a little skewed

There's a lot of routes on the peninsula but since there hasn't been much interest it never got to specifics.

To keep the thread alive, where else sounds like a good place?

also will hooning be allowed?

have any suggestions for other routes? we try to keep it scenic and off main freeways.
hooning is fine as long as you can not run into others or get us all pulled over

I love the idea of the peninsula, but staying closer to the mountains would be easier. Also taking the main highways would be ass.

I'm fine unless it is extremely far away.

I just made a kik, bubbacubba64

add me so we can get more shit goin

Fuck you guys for hosting an Veeky Forums meet before college gets out.

Guess I at least get to drive the 2k miles home at the end of the semester

There will be more to come.

>sunday

I work on sundays :(

I'll go to the next one, I swear!

You sound very sick right now, you should call off

I was sick yesterday. I had to work on a paper and my finals that are coming in a week or 2.

I would call in again but I have no more sick time for being sick for being part time and being sick for about a week.

I would love to hang out with more Veeky Forumstists, don't get me wrong.

>also will hooning be allowed?

If you guys all race ahead like in those youtube videos of other groups having driving Meets, I will end up in last place. I'm not ready to bounce off a guardrail yet.

The previous Meet thread discussion and its ideas are archived at:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15057755

It seems that various others that have previously toured washington have established "routes" already. For example:

Olympic Peninsula Road Trip:
travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/olympic-peninsula-washington-road-trip/

Five most-scenic Washington state p drives:
exotichikes.com/five-of-the-most-scenic-national-park-drives-washington-state/

The Olympic national park seasonal access road drive is to a remote location. You can see it on a WA state map. Hurricane Ridge in the park is just outside Port Angeles. As for >that town with the all german theme
it is named Leavenworth

Should all Veeky Forums meets always include a stop at the best or largest auto parts store in the vicinity of the tour route? That would certainly keep to the Veeky Forums theme.

That other thread also had the idea of including Le May May museum tour on the list of stops.

The LeMay Car Museum in Tacoma is a relatively new and large antique and collectible car museum. It was created in 2012 from PART of the collection of a wealthy car collector. Mr LeMay at one time had the world's largest private collectible car collection.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Car_Museum

The other BIGGER PART of his collection is at the other car museum run by the family. Info is at:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMay_Family_Collection_Foundation

Which collection would you visit? The Tacoma one is probably the first one to visit as it seems to be the most tourist-friendly and thus is the most easy-going first impression of his collection.

Does this museum cost money to enter?
From the poll it looks like we are doing paradise which cost money to use and gas costs. I don't want to spend much more than I have to lol

How is this for a route

As long as no snow tires are needed, I am fine with going into the mountains. I just don't want to have a surprise that I have to gear up when people are going to some ultimate end point in the perma-snow area. That would mean I'd have to stay behind while others went further on.

In Veeky Forums fashion, people'd say "you should have known better!" since part of the meets is also the learning experience. What is unnecessary is trying to sucker people into accidents like in california. Someone who knows the road may race ahead knowing others will follow at somewhat the same speed. Then before an especially wreck prone turn, that leader brakes hard and then begins to accelerate again. The other car following doesn't brake as hard and slides off the turn into the guard rail or off the cliff if that right lane was an inside curve. There are some videos of that on youtube where people get suckered into a crash.

If the washington group has people like that, it's better to avoid them and just go to regular car show events hosted by the local car clubs.

nah we keep things pretty sane and dont pressure anyone into doing anything stupid.

paradise should have been clear for a couple months now, its a relatively low end point on rainier, the corners in the low spots might be damp just because they never get sunlight.

bump

>For the Leavenworth to I90 route
It's just that the village of Leavenworth is pretty small population-wise with 2000 people and is mostly dominated by those tourist trap shops and restaurants and the town square open area. If I had to be a tourist, visiting either of the two LeMay car museums would be more interesting.

I'd rather go out to the trees of the peninsula and get an "oxygen high" due to the higher oxygen content among the fast growing bushy areas under the trees. Right at that location is the highest oxygen content and the further from the underscrub, the effect disappears fast as the oxygen is rapidly diluted by the rest of the atmosphere.. In comparison, snoqualmie doesn't seem to have much of an oxygen content difference and I didn't feel any "different" than when I was out in the penisula. It's too bad I can't get that same air into the car.

Mount Saint Helens had been having more microquakes the past year. I vote that if it starts to really shake, we have a trip up there. Then when the volcano bloes its top again, we can all have a TRULY GENUINE downhill road race to escape the ash cloud. Everyone will hopefully be able to drive faster than a sedate tofu delivery person.

I cant do that. I would die
I own a miata. There is no such thing as fast

You could buy oxygen tanks instead of hugging trees.

>Keep in mind guys that it costs $25 per car to get into the park and drive on paradise road

Do we also pay extra fees to be able to PARK in a parking lot? Those state of washington park passes allow people the ability to park. That implies that there is some sort of parking restriction going on in the parks.

>faster than a sedate tofu delivery person

I have it on good authority that tofu delivery drivers are pretty fast....

Looks like paradise road is the winner.
We should start planning a time, meeting point, food (Bring a camp bbq maybe?), nail down the route and the amount of people showing

It's inconvenient for me to bring the meat items for the camp stove (can such be used anywhere without a campground permit in WA?) but I can contribute by buying out 1/3 to 1/2 of the meat cost as my contribution. I don't want to fall into that "I'll bring the chips" meme where 1,000 people show up and 999 of them only brought chips.

I might be able to make it

>I might be able to make it
I see you are one of those immigrants to WA from Australia.

i can bring my little bbq if im not on the bike, theres plenty of room in the paradise parking lot to go hang out and cook some lunch

Since this is the closest thing to a western Washington state thread, I would like to ask where is a good oil/filter change store that uses synthetic oil AND which doesn't charge a huge price? Certainly, there are all sorts of small shops that offer oil changes with unknown conventional oils/filters at $19.95 but I would not use those. I am looking for synthetic oil and the two places I know of have widely different prices. JiffyLube is all over the place and has synthetic oil change at approx $104 after sales tax, shop and pollution fees. At the low priced end is wal-mart which charges $49 for synthetic oil and filter (unknown oil). Sears Auto has their June oilchange special $49.95 for valvoline synthetic. The baseline is the chevrolet dealer with conventional oil at $39.95 and blend of synth/conventional at $59.

The Good Chevrolet of Renton service writer stated that they don't allow the free oil changes for new cars until the car's oil indicator says 10% or lower. The exception the service writer said was Corvette which has its first one at 500 miles since the engines are so expensive. That implied that non-corvettes were being sacrificed as he kept sticking to the tired "If we allowed free oil changes sooner, everyone would use them all the time." I pointed out that users were limited to 2 free ones and only in the first 2 years but he didn't care and stuck to the 10% oil life indicator or nothing statement. I can buy the oil change from them at full price though if I wanted to change it so bad.

WAbros, my friend is gonna be moving with his family in Wa come August, he said when hes settled I can crash with him till I can start paying rent. I need advice, and info.
Hes moving to Monroe, glad not fag ass seattle. How are the jobs in the area? What about schooling? Im currently in CC here, I was hoping I could transfer my completed units and continue going there. Is this possible? Are there any transfer programs? I just want to get my Mech Engineering BA and buy a GTR

my kik is cosmosloth if you guys are willing to add me, I just want information. Just trying to live a more gun friendly and car happy life innawoods

why not change it yourself? a set of ramps and catch pan will cost less than an oil change at a shop.
you can drop used oil with just about any auto shop.

you can bring your own oil/filter to most shops if you insist on getting it done.

>why not change it yourself?

Because I don't want to. I just want to know where some good oil change shops are located that have a good price for synthetic oil change.

A wealthy neighbor has a large detached garage. Very large and is a workshop and basic care car shop. He changes his oil using ramps. He has small holes drilled into the concrete floor. He drops metal rods into them to prevent ramps from moving. Clever. the garage has a utility sink. Oil is washed away as he cleans the oil drain pan. He's no tree hugger as he rants against liberals a lot.

When done with oil pan, he closes the washing machine lid. It drains its tub, thus flushing away residual oil in the sewage pipe with a big sustained blast of warm soapy water. He started washing clothes before the oil change and left the lid open. An open lid means it finishes agitating but stops at the point where it needs to drain the water. This way, he takes advantage of using clothes washing water to immediately flush the used oil away. He doesn't waste water just to flush the pipes of oil. He also avoids the need to save used oil in a leakproof container. He also saves from making a special trip to get rid of the oil. It's all about lowest cost and time to that guy. So that's why he changes his own oil and filter.

The used filter is wrapped up on plastic grocery bags, tied off so they don't leak, and then put into the anonymous trash. No special trip needed to hazardous waste site and he also doesn't get burdened with saving used filters.

Wait he dumps his oil down the drain? Jeez. Also he washes clothes in the same machine as his oil pan? Did I read that wrong?

Also why is he removing his oil pan after every oil change lol

im no tree hugger but im not going to pour oil down the damn drain.
he can not be a self entitled shitwad and just drop off a bucket of used oil at the local shop once in a while

hell we wait till we have a 55 gallon drum full then bring it down and pump it out

It flies!

yeah, till the lift breaks

>Tfw I have Saturday off but not Sunday
>all the locations are too far from me to begin with

sigh.

>Also he washes clothes in the same machine as his oil pan?
No, I typed too fast and left something out.

His detached garage is huge like a house but the entire ground floor is the garage area. It is two stories so the 2nd floor is mostly family storage. On the ground floor there is plumbing for a two-part utility sink and wash area. It has a counter next to it.

When changing oil, he removes the drain plug and the oil empties into a big pan-like thing which I call his "oil pan". When done, empties that pan into the drain hole in the sink as carefully as he can so it doesn't get all over the bottom of the sink. That "pan" has a beak lip that makes aimed pouring easy. The sink has two parts similar to a better kitchen sink. One part is small and shallow. The other is big, wide and deep. He empties the oil into the deeper one of course since that is the one that gets dirty the most when he washes greasy things, gasoline soaked things, etc. The sink is a convenient place to get rid of stuff. Wash it away to never be seen again. Old chemicals, whatever. It all goes into Lake Washington anyways so it will be diluted.

I know not to criticize him on the environment. I tried once and almost got labeled as a commie pedophile rapist felon ultra terrorist and . He's fiercely republican, retired, and accepts zero liberal criticism.

After cleaning the drainage "oil pan" and the sink, he goes into the house and closes the lid on the washing machine. That lets the machine start draining its tub into the sewar and flushing any oil away so that it doesn't build up and clog. Motor oil doesn't do that as it is more fluid than cooking fats but he is cautious.

If you criticize his conservative ways, you are Bin Laden, pedophile, axe murdered, thief, felon, etc. So I learned to censor myself around him as he has lots of interesting stories of corruption to tell. Some that he may have been....he loves money.

Same here, but where do you live? I live in Seattle but all of those places I could drive to easily.

>He has small holes drilled into the concrete floor. He drops metal rods into them to prevent ramps from moving.

I forgot to mention his clever idea. He assumes that an earthquake could happen while he is under the car. Thus, he uses those metal rods to secure the ramp from moving in any direction no matter how the ground shakes.

If you live in california, that idea has probably been implemented by all the careful people. A simple screw or nail in the ground is not enough since the ground also has sideways motion and thus a simple chock to stop the ramp from sliding forward as you drive onto it is not enough in the case of an earthquake. He went thru the Nisqually Quake and remembered the type of shaking it had on his property.

Those rods are in deep enough and tall enough that the ramp will not sidle or vibrate out of them. He figures that gives enough time for him to get out from under the car or SUV.

>Join the Washington Veeky Forums meet Kik, add your username here and you will be added.

I don't have a KiK account, but I will go. Just need to find out the Sunday meeting spot. Ahh, I better go buy a more detailed washington state map. I only have one of those big Rand McNalley atlas books they sell at Costco and Sam's Club that have a map of each state and southern canada.

yeah must be cool to ruin the ecosystem through pouring hazardous waste into a lake. This is the most unamerican thing ive heard this week.

Bump

We're going to try and iron out a final route and meeting point this evening and update on here

Would it be a breakfast type restaurant as a meeting place so that people would get something to eat while waiting for others to show up? I've not been to a meet before. Or does everyone just magically show up in the space of a 5 minute window (on the dot sharp)....

hows the dennys in bonney lake around 930 sound?
its just off of buckley and will keep a nice loop for the meet.

i like this

google maps link?

tfw tempted but it means 3.5 hour drive from Canada
one day there will be a Bellingham area meet

>one day there will be a Bellingham area meet
If we all go to Bellingham for a Meet, where will we go from there? Because so many people came north to Bellingham, that would mean we would have a northern Washington drive or even cross the to visit the narrow hanging bridge in Vancouver and some other unique landmarks. Since that is your area, maybe you can come up with a list of places to visit, and that will then be a proposed Meet candidate in the next Meet thread.

The goal of a meeting spot is to also avoid a lot of backtracking when we gather together.

Picture: Franky Cola (pepsi) in Japan is one of those merchandise items for the anime/manga One Piece. However, it's probably not good for the road because it has 1% alcohol....as indicated on its label.

>hows the dennys in bonney lake around 930 sound?

Denny sounds convenient to me unless there is a more unique specialty place in that area. It's nice to try finding new unique places to gather at too.

I don't know bonney Lake too well and Dennys is a safe bet for not getting salmonella.

I don't have the link since I'm mobile now but if you slap a route together on Google, go from Dennys to paradise back to Dennys and drag the return trip to the east side of the mountain

Bham then out on hwy 20 super scenic and curvy drive

Bump

Final plan I believe is going to be meet up at Dennys in bonney Lake (on hwy 410) by 930
Head up to Paradise via South loop and cook up some lunch and then head back towards bonney Lake by looping around the mountain.
Looks to be about 160 miles all together
There is an entry fee of 25 bucks heading into Mt rainier Park as well. I'll try to make a map shortly

Getting hype, this part looks the most fun

Wow, you have to pass by Pyroland Fireworks of Sumner to get to Denny's. Pyroland is also next to I-410.

pyrolandfireworks.com/products.php

There's just one Denny's in Bonney Lake and this one is it. Any preferred spot for cars to park in the parking lot area? How about the northeast corner of the denny section of the lot?

South of Denny's is that parking lot for the PHO restaurant blocked off by those reddish bushes you see in the overhead photo. I bet no one is going to be at the Pho restaurant at 9AM, so I will park there. If we are trying to group our cars close to each other before starting off, that might be a good parking spot.

>Final plan I believe is going to be meet up at Dennys in bonney Lake

That Denny's meeting spot is well-chosen. Everything useful is next door in the same parking lot from the Arco gas station to the Fred Meyer supermarket. And they're all open on Sunday morning.

>meet up at Dennys in bonney Lake (on hwy 410) by 930

So that means we are LEAVING at 9:30 AM? Just wanted to be clear on that.

>So that means we are LEAVING at 9:30 AM? Just wanted to be clear on that.

The busiest time of the day for Bonney Lake Denny's is roughly between 9AM to 1 PM (busier than dinnertime) so apparently that Denny's is a breakfast and brunch type place. I guess the Veeky Forums people will stand out because everyone will be wearing a "mootixo" t-shirt? Doesn't seem like Hiiro has any logo shirts yet.

Add turbosloth1100 to the meet kik please.

Meeting at 930 and having breakfast I guess while we wait for stragglers

everyone should be there and ready to go by 930ish, this is of course leaving a little room for late comers and general bullshitting before we head out.

It's not like we need to simply eat as our waiting activity. We should compare our maps and make sure the path is known to everyone in case anyone gets too far separated.

This is my first meet, so I thought of the 930 time more like all other types of appointment times. If you show up way earlier, you eat at Denny's and then gas up at the Arco next door or visit Fred Meyer. Or even take advantage of your trip and explore the rest of the area a little.

With the BS'ing before we start off, we should pick our next rest stop or scenic spot to stop at. It's too bad neither of the Le Mays museums on the way. I wonder if Orting or other places have something interesting?

With the BS'ing before we start off, we should pick our next rest stop or scenic spot to stop at. It's too bad neither of the Le Mays museums on the way. I wonder if Orting or other places have something interesting?

what the fuck do you think this is? a family roadtrip? are you bringing an RV with the wife and kids too?

we dont really plan stops, we just pull off when something looks like a good stop.
if we have the walkies we should at least make sure the lead and last cars are able to talk in case we lose someone or have any issues with a car.

>In Veeky Forums fashion, people'd say "you should have known better!" since part of the meets is also the learning experience. What is unnecessary is trying to sucker people into accidents like in california. Someone who knows the road may race ahead knowing others will follow at somewhat the same speed. Then before an especially wreck prone turn, that leader brakes hard and then begins to accelerate again. The other car following doesn't brake as hard and slides off the turn into the guard rail or off the cliff if that right lane was an inside curve. There are some videos of that on youtube

This is Veeky Forums. There are bound to be antagonistic Veeky Forums people in washington.

>If the washington group has people like that, it's better to avoid them and just go to regular car show events hosted by the local car clubs.

As others have always said in Veeky Forums's many forums, if you let someone sucker you into a crash, then you deserve to be hurt. Veeky Forums is not a polite vacation spot for the weak.

see >hooning is fine as long as you can not run into others or get us all pulled over

Lots of stories out there. New people struggle to keep up as they follow others on the road before. Newbies get suckered into offroad crash, to hit traffic, or even going off a cliff without guardrail as in this Meet where the guy in front pulls this guy into an oversteer turn to then go over the cliff.

>defending attempted murder
>b-but guysss it's Veeky Forums we r leejun XD

Hoon time.