Are steering wheel covers any good Veeky Forums?

Are steering wheel covers any good Veeky Forums?

No

Why

Mask off and coat with bedliner.

I've yet to see one that wasn't ugly as sin.

ugly and annoying but sometimes warranted if the steering wheel is screwed up or too thin.

Its all about protecting the steering wheel from wear and your hands from the heat/cool inst it?

But the thinner the better.

I put one on because the leather on my steering wheel just wore out. I got used to it pretty quickly.

Ahem.

And before you ask, yes it was comfy as fuck to hold.

That's neat, I'll probably do something like that once my current cover wears out.

I got one of these covers and its pretty fucking comfy, fits well and you can use the steering wheel with one finger tip thanks to the added grip (not that I'm stupid enough to do so).

Saved

isn't this better?

Why would anyone use this garbage

I always worry about them slipping
they can be comfy asf tho

Weird, I've never heard of a cover slipping unless the cover itself was too big for the wheel.

>grandma bought a steering wheel cover with little soft bumpy nubs on it to assist in gripping it
>over the course of 10 years it's hardened into solid plastic spikes that dig into your hands
I'd much rather just have one of those knobs for it.

just when they get super old they grow a little

Well I'll be dammed, i bet this happens even more when you live in a place with hot weather.
Thanks for the info dude.

>not replacing a $10 item

It doesn't come off. The stretchyness of the cover went away with the softness of the spiky nubs. I'd have to cut it away and frankly I'm afraid of what I might find under it.

if you have to deal with heat then you won't be able to touch the steering wheel if it's made out of certain materials for a few minutes

I've had leather steering wheels all my life, literally a non issue

underneath it might be a sort of half liquid and jelly
but if your lucky it will be really dry and perished

either way I recommend a very mild solvent that's just enough to soften and unify the material
strange as it seems lynx and other sprays like it work even if not ideal

Whats the jelly/liquid made off and how can i prevent that from happening?

Stretch another over it

I occasionally use my finger tip to steer.

>made of
Hundreds if not millions of dead dust mites having sex

>Prevent
Tape dead dust mites to outside of car. Also while you have a passenger in the car with you, wait for a few moments of silence, then just scream "FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!" as loud as possible. If they ask, tell them it was for the mites

No. Replace the wheel if rubber, get it recovered if leather.

Just fucking wrap it in electrical tape. Comfy, good grip, don't have to worry about it sliding around, and cheap as hell. It's exactly as shitty looking as a cover unless you just rewrap it in leather.

it only happens in the worst case and with very nasty synthetic rubber
first it dries out and cracks on the outside then the inside turns liquid and dissolves the separated parts into blobs of jelly
but this takes such a long time I doubt you'll ever see it and the back liner of many wheel covers should catch this junk anyway
I've seen some wheels with three layers
all be it thin from wear

>car gets hot
>tape starts loosening
>hands slide off wheel
>crash
>die
No thanks.

I see, thanks man, now i can peacefully sleep.

tennis racket tape on my hand brake lever
>très magnifique