Affordable Convertables

Veeky Forums Im looking to buy my first car. I'd like your input on options for affordable convertibles. I've been looking at two cars the Mazda Miata and the Volkswagen Cabrio since Ive learned to drive stick and manual models of these cars seem to be in abundance. I'm looking to find out which one is more reliable, cheaper to repair and possibly easier to repair as I have never worked on cars before.

I'm also open to other car suggestions and since Im quite literally a "newfag" to cars Im not looking to do crazy work on it; I'd want a manual thats fun to drive and easy to keep.

Other urls found in this thread:

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5614304955.html
newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5600580115.html
newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5613697672.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The VW cabrio is known as a "bitch basket" due to the rollbar and being normally female-owned. Also, VW build quality.

Bmw e36 convertible
Chrysler sebring
Chrysler pt cruiser
Chevy cavalier
Toyota solara

I'd avoid the Cabrio, it has a sideways engine

MR2 Spyder is probably the most reliable convertible you can get, as long as you avoid the precat issue which is a piece of cake

yeah, buy a miata. cheap, abundant, huge aftermarket.

The female thing I couldnt give a fuck about. VW build quality = bad?

Yeah pretty bad, especially that era. The older Cabriolet is a bit better but again, they're old.

Thanks for that. Ill check them out :)

be warned, none of those are particularly reliable

I read that its the electrics that are problematic with the cabrio. Can anyone verify?

Where as the Miata and Cabrio are?

You have to decide whether you are ok with a 2 seater.

If you are:

toyota mr2 spyder in black is your best "look good for cheap" and handle well convertible. if you want a 4 seater convertible, id recommend the sebring for a 4 seater.

The huge following and aftermarket seem to be a major attraction to the Miata. Any suggestion as to 1st or 2nd gen?

Yeah that's one major issue, also the previous owners of VAG shit are usually terrible people

the Miata is mostly bulletproof, look out for rust under the doors and fenders and in the trunk where the battery is

They can also burn oil at high mileage

Hit or miss on the volkswagens of that era

buy a 1992 or later, between the NA and NB just depends on whether you like popup headlights

wow! The toyota mr2 spyder's not bad looking at all. Thanks for that didn't now it existed

Look for that puff of blue smoke when starting up right?

Toyota Camry Solara
Chevrolet Cavalier (pic related)
Pontiac Sunfire
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Chrysler Sebring
Ford Mustang
Chevrolet Camaro
Pontiac Firebird
Honda Del Sol
Mercury Capri
Saturn Sky
Pontiac Solstice
Chrysler LeBaron (Avoid the V6's. 4 bangers only)

that just tells you about the valve stem seals, you can burn through worn rings quite a bit without the smoke being visible

What do you make of these?

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5614304955.html

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5600580115.html

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5613697672.html

The last one a bit out of my price range at $9000, but the other two are they over priced as Ive heard MX5 owners to to overprice when reselling.

It's not reaaaaally a convertible, but the top comes off and it has Honda reliability which is perfect for a first car.
Honda Del Sol is my suggestion.

Pontiac Sunbird

Oh my god why would you want a convertible holy shit

>bitch basket

holy shit my sides

why not a z3 1.9?

its good for starters, m44's reliable af

Sunshine, good weather?

Aren't BMW expensive for repairs?

Mr2 also has a.sideways engine

If you're in Europe (not sure about the American situation) I can recommend the Audi Cabriolet. The V6s are reliable and it's a well-made car. Not at all sporty though if that's your thing.

Also I like the soapbar look, sage for dp

I'd you want to get a bitch basket your best bet is a mk1 or 2 just because there bullet proof and aren't gay like a miata

rx7 convertable!

If you can find a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible, you would be golden. Cars are very cheap now, parts are everywhere and they are easy to maintain since the 2.0 is running a T5 suite w/o MAF and bypass valves, which makes the 99' easier to tune. Very classy and has serious tuning potential with that B204 motor!!!