LS fucking 1

is their any measurable flaw with this engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

summitracing.com/int/parts/nal-19301326/overview/make/chevrolet
summitracing.com/int/parts/fms-m-6007-m50ak/overview/make/ford
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the fanbase

Yes the car around it. Gm a shit

the gm fangirls that shill for it.

There are many.

>power
>torque
>will last for fucking ever
>vast aftermarket
>takes boost like it was made for it
>Compact
>light being made of high strength aluminum

overpriced
overrated
sounds awful
horrible power for the money and size
cancerous fanbase

its a meme engine

LS1 is not those things

its garbage for boost and a pretty fucking weak engine

Airflow is down compared to their Mopar counterpart - the third gen Hemi. If there ever is a fourth gen Hemi, made with aluminium instead of iron, it could objectively outclass the LS.

>>takes boost like it was made for it
No it doesn't. The bog standard LS1, with it's relatively big (in diameter), thin and weak pistons, doesn't hold up to boost very well. None of the LS family engines do, unless you rebuild the entire bottom end to handle those high cilinder pressures. Exception are the smallbore 4.8 and 5.3 engines, which can support masses of horsepower. Problem with those two is that only the 5.3 is available with an aluminium block, and even those are outnumbered 10 to 1 by their iron counterparts.

Also, this. Needing to use siamese bores for the LS7's 427 cui. displacement really showed a weakness in the base engine design, although the base LS design is still reasonably big by smallblock standards.

>overpriced
Nope. Cheapest aluminium V8's you can get, except maybe smog-tier Buick/Rover 215's.
>overrated
Definitely.
>sounds awful
Sound can be fixed with exhaust and cam.
>horrible power for the money and size
Money, see above. Horrible power for it's displacement? Definitely not cutting edge, but still fair considering the engine's technology. The power output is actually pretty good considering it's exterior dimensions and ease of packaging.
>cancerous fanbase
100% agreed.

yes
there were some 6.0 aluminum truck blocks
LS9 handles boost pretty well too :)

it just sounds like every other sbc with a cam and exhaust.
which is cool in certain cars, but really out of place in anything else.

>base LS design is still reasonably big by smallblock standards.
No it's not, it has the same 4.4" bore centers as an SBC.

I run 10 lbs of boost and have for the last 10k. Stock bottom end. Git gud.

I know there were several 6.0 aluminium truck blocks, which puts them in line with the 4.8 and 5.3, but the thing is that those truck blocks had bigger bores (4'' instead of 3.78'') and therefore tend to have weaker pistons. Not really great for handling boost.

>LS9 handles boost pretty well too :)
>unless you rebuild the entire bottom end to handle those high cilinder pressures
LS9's and LSA's of course handle boost better, with their lowered compression ratio's and different lower end internals.

Size isn't just bore spacing. SBC's can't be stroked as easily as an LS.

How much horsepower? What's making those 10 psi (turbo, centrifugal or positivie displacement)? What engine?

10psi is less than 0.7 ATM. Why go through the hassle of boosting if you're not even doubling the amount of air shoves into your motor?

Missing 4 cylinders

>Cheapest aluminium V8's you can get
wat

>I run 10 lbs of boost
you also run the quarter mile in 17 seconds

I have some dumb questions.

>What's so special about LS 1&2 engines?
>What are the prices on it?
>Are they economical in an acceptable way?

Fuck off tripfag

>>What's so special about LS 1&2 engines?
aftermarket
>>What are the prices on it?
cheap for the truck iron ones, which happen to make no power and are pigfat
>>Are they economical in an acceptable way?
well, no, a swap is easy 10k if done right

IT'S A PRANK BRO

LS engines are cheap, light, V8's. The cheapest, pretty much lightest V8's that make any decent power.

>which happen to make no power and are pigfat
Although they take boost like champs.

the cheap LS engines are the iron truck ones, which aren't light

Buying new crate engine?

LS1

>GM
>about $6,000 for a good 410 horsies
>Rev limit at 6,000
>aluminum block
>bad on gas

Coyote 5.0

>Ford
>about $6,000 for a good 435 horsies
>Rev limit at 7,000
>Aluminum block
>decent on gas

Dollar for dollar, the 5.0 is the motor you want.

Fuck off tripfag

They still have aluminum heads and a plastic intake, which make them light for what you get.

>the 5.0 is the motor you want.
unless you have a Ford from the 60's and don't want to hack-up the body

BRO IT'S A PRANK

They dropped 427's into old Fords with no issues. Why wouldn't a 302 fit? Unless your trying to fuckrig a Pinto.

they're talking about coyote 5.0 not sbf 302

its not ran by pumping seaman up its exhaust port thats all i want and manufactures refuse to build it

You show me a lighter Ford or Mopar engine then, for the same amount of money.

You can't. Mopar uses iron blocks, Ford's Modulars are heavier despite the use of aluminium, and Chevy crate engines are, generally speaking, the cheapest.

LS3:
>5900$ for 430 hp
summitracing.com/int/parts/nal-19301326/overview/make/chevrolet

Coyote 5.0:
>7000$ for 435hp
summitracing.com/int/parts/fms-m-6007-m50ak/overview/make/ford

Both are good on gas. LS Corvettes get great gas mileage. Nobody cares about the rev limit as long as power production is sufficient (you could even argue the higher powerband would decrease mpg with pumping losses and internal friction). Also, the Modular 5.0 is physically bigger, to the point where it's about as big as a BBF.

>They dropped 427's into old Fords with no issues.
The Mustang had to grow from it's '64 inception to it's '69 version before a BBF would fit comfortably - and even then it was with chassis compromise. 5.0 Modulars are about as big.

The older 302 small blocks, however, are pretty damn small and light. Smaller than the LS, and damn near close in weight (if you use aluminium heads), despite the use of aluminium in the LS block.

>ford or mopar
wat
a toyota UZ or a Nissan VH can be had for $500 and are lighter than iron truck LS, they both weight less than 500 lbs

a jaguar aj v8 is probably lighter aswell

have you written to manufacturers? what did they say?

I thought we were talking about crate engines, which offer a more fair comparison. Anyone can get lucky at a junkyard.

Not being an LS3 is about all I can think of.

Stop shopping summit. You'll save a lot of money.

>LS3
>not LS7, LS9 or LSX
Close.

Show us some cheaper prices on that Mod motor then. At least I include some sources.

desu its a much better idea to buy remanufactured engines directly from ford or chevy, they include warranties aswell

i almost bought a coyote some years that way

PUSHRODS
U
S
H
R
O
D
S

No

Besides the LS3 serge's at part throttle and the after market like on small block Chevy's,, STILL hasn't opened up to making the front dress fit all together without some help.

>their

do you forget about filters every time you post? or are you so new you haven't figured that part out yet?

10 PSI on a built LS3 is enough to make 700hp on pump gas and still get 20/25mpg city/highway

>LS1
>bad on gas

i get 24 mpg in a 3500lb car. muh V8
>rev at 6k

with a cam/tune its 7000 rpm

>pushrods
>not just a meme

whats wrong with pushrods?

hardened pushrods are like $100 for a set

my LS1's valve train is very quiet when its warmed up.

not like my honda d15b that sounds like a tractor

what did he mean by this?

most people can't see you or your grade A posting

desu desu desu

pushrods and thus being SOHC
shit HP/liter
port injection

>SOHC

mfw

>sohc push rod
>tfw

i meant 2 valves/cyl

guess ill have to wait on the ohc side valve ;L

Suzuki do a 16v SOHC

This.
The LS is like an athletes heart. Small strong, effective.... built into an obese smoker body.

10PSI with a turbo maybe, but you're running out of bottom end at that point. 10PSI worth of non-intercooled positive displacement boost will produce enough heat to break bottom end stuff.

Fiat also offers SOHC 16v's with fully variable intake and exhaust timing and lift.

It's american

>pushrods
>low redline
>too much torque, must be paired up with tall gearing which is shit for performance and severely beefed up drivetrain components which just adds excessive weight

anyone who knows shit about engines knows that better overall performance can be seen by sacrificing torque for shorter gearing and a higher redline.

it's a god damn truck engine and I'm sick of murifats glorying a shitty poorly built engine

You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground apparently.

Why does this abomination exist?

>tall gears are bad for performance

That's like the cheapest easiest way to BOOST performance on your car, it just makes it shitty to drive in the city

Is the hole in the ground the one where the dicks go?

>guess ill have to wait on the ohc side valve ;L
Pic fucking related. Can somebody make a non-Paint version of this?

Wat

Non paint version?
Maybe, would take lots of rockers and pushrods.
Yay for heavy valvetrains!

Pic semi-related, flathead I'm working on.

Put both valves on the same side. Will cut chamber volume for dat compression ratio.

But then going DOHC would be impossible. T-head sidevalve engine still got some decent compression, and I suspect the chamber volume should be pretty similar.

flatheads are fucking awful and only belong in tractors and lawn equipment.

I ma be wrong but isn't the 4.7 dodge lighter and makes comparable hp? 310 hp for 08 and up

Oh I didn't know dohc was part of the design requirement.
Back to the drawing board.

Want stroke? Need an aftermarket block with long skirts. Want good heads? Need taller straight port heads. Engine is no longer small.

Not fuel efficient, relies on auxiliary bullshit to kill emissions.

>flatheads are pretty decent, shit at making power, and only belong in tractors, lawn equipment and pre-war cars
ftfy

Not a requirement, but it damn sure add to the useless complexity. Also, fully variable intake/exhaust valve timing. Because you need that on a flatty.

No, those 5.7's are heavier because they use iron blocks.

>How much horsepower?
780whp

>What's making those 10 psi (turbo, centrifugal or positivie displacement)?
Centri and boltons

>What engine?
LS3

>Why go through the hassle of boosting if you're not even doubling the amount of air shoves into your motor?
Because pic related.

I'm not the only guy making decent power on stock bottom ends. Theres a dude on camaro5 that's making something like 1100 whp on a stock bottom end. I understand the LS1 isn't quite as stout as an LS3 but an LS1 will take some boost just fine. You'll need hardened pushrods and better springs but it's not like its pushing it to run any boost at all.

>He's so new he thinks he's the first autist to post that in every thread
>He's so new he doesn't even know the original meme/slip was 15 seconds until I started implying it was actually 16 or 17
>He thinks he's making me so mad
>He thinks a reply means I'm so mad
>He just realized his ebic tr00ling is facebook-tier

Post your slip, bb.

how do you expect taller gears to make you faster? Maybe topspeed if you are gear limited but thats a rare occasion

>2 valves/cyl

yeah that doesn't mean a goddamn thing when the intake valves are 2.0" diameter like a stock LS1

number of valves means fucking nothing. look at the flow of the heads and the power the engine produces

so does every honda D series except an HF engine you fucking idiot

Seems nice, but the amount of bottom end strength per dollar (if you understand what I'm saying) is still lower than a truck engine. Still, that output just puts any arguments aside.

>Boltons
Boltons make boost now?

All kdding aside, I'm jelly as fuck.

>he thinks he isn't a faglord

my stock ford fusion runs the quarter in 15 seconds desu

>low redline
>HAS NEVER BEEN AT 6000 RPM IN AN LS1 CAR

>too much torque

WHAT. this isn't even a thing

>has to be paired with tall gearing

0-60 in 5 seconds stock. flat.

>has never been in a car with tall gears and a powerful V8.

its fucking heaven. it pulls FOREVER. the power feels literally endless

>god damn truck engine

no its not you mongoloid. its fully aluminum unlike the actual truck LS family "Vortec" engines.
>poorly built engine
>forged bottom end capable of 600whp stock

kill yourself

>Not fuel efficient, relies on auxiliary bullshit to kill emissions.

20+ mpg is very good for a 300hp heavily restricted stock V8.

>relies on auxiliary bullshit to kill emissions.

what, EGR, AIR, cats?

fucking delete them you pussy

This. People who don't have torque make excuses as to why they don't need it. As long as your car is making power it doesn't need to rev. Look at cvts

>runs 15's in a 700whp car

i ran a timed 14 sec 1/4 ON THE STREET in a 300whp car on the first pass. you can't drive for fucking shit

> delete them you pussy
It's California

Also my 4.0 dohc vvt v8 barely gets 23 Highway. I couldn't survive with 17.

>number of valves means nothing
lol, gm fags are delusional

>tfw your honda d15b 8V redlines at 4800-5000 RPM, making peak torque at 2200

60 fucking horsepower bitch

my LS1 can't make that little power and be running. it has more hp at idle.

torque is EVERYTHING

>engine 3 times as big makes more power

someone give this man a nobel

>the amount of bottom end strength per dollar is still lower than a truck engine

Yes but that has more to do with it being an ironblock. The crank in these engines is stout as fuck, so really its pistons and tuning that ultimately determine what sort of boost it can take. Theres an LS1 C5 where I work that just got back from the texas mile. It's running a YSI (big centri) with a stock bottom end and the only thing that got borked was the pushrods since the last shop didn't swap the stock ones out. Still if I was doing a project vehicle I'd just do an iron 5.3 and stud it (or a 4.8 to troll benchracers with). That iron definetly makes a difference in strength like you said, but the 100lbs of weight savings with the aluminum LS1 5.3 isn't a piece of your grandmother's fine china either. I wouldn't be afraid to dd one running 8 lbs of boost so long as I had a decent tuner.

>ON THE STREET
>Inb4 with your OBDII timer

The pass after that 15 second one was a 12.3, so calm your tits.

>hp/l

Take your insecure/incorrect cop out and blow it out your ass. Adults are talking.

>I couldn't survive with 17.

dudebro i get at least 24mpg on the highway.

my car has likely much better aero however.

>4.0 dohc vvt

yeah you get shit mileage because its in grannys lexus

Post a fourvalve head that outflows a nicely ported aftermarket 2nd Gen Hemi head then. Those are two valve.

How about the lsx 454 :^) 650 hp 9,000$ or less for that engine :^) (opinions br/o/s)

There's your answer, that thread sure worked out well!

Just out of curiosity, are you some kind of cuck who gains satisfaction from being humiliated in every thread?

>3 times as big

almost 4x.

the LS1 still makes more hp:L

my honda gets 45mpg and the LS1 gets 24 mpg.

if im driving on the highway, i'd rather have 300+ hp available. not fucking 60

my civic can't even pass someone.

>ricers think they don't need torque

because you've never had it