Hows the reliability on boxer diesels? are they actually bad or is it a meme?

hows the reliability on boxer diesels? are they actually bad or is it a meme?
considering buying one with 150000km on it (93k miles)

Other urls found in this thread:

subaru-community.com/subaru-foren/boxer-diesel/97876-boxer-diesel-2008-2009-wirklich-so-viele-motorprobleme/
subaru-community.com/subaru-foren/boxer-diesel/47941-boxer-diesel-mit-meisten-km/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also interested. Googling doesn't return too much in the form of negative anecdotal experience in the same way it does for other engines (having said that, I've got nothing but great experience in terms of reliability with EJ25s).
Contemplating a diesel Forester as the family chariot.

I guess the lack of Veeky Forums replies is nothing but complimentary.

Boxer engines are pretty much always less reliable than a v or a straight of similar size just because of they way they are designed.

That being said unreliable in this case is relative and you'll probably not have any major issues as long as you don't drive it like you stole it constantly

Thankyou for the redundant reply if Veeky Forums rhetoric generalizations that doesn't actually answer anything.
Truly a falcunt tier post, except with punctuation.

>Falcunt tier post

Great, now the cunts are up

Ironic the cunts are the ones pointing out other's shitposts.

Garbage. Higher cylinder pressures than gas motors makes blowing gaskets/lifting heads/pushing coolant/etc all a much more likely possibility than with the gas motors.

And the gas motors do all that shit too, so add diesel to it and blammo even worse.

Cool, now any posts of any actual substance? Or are we just posting inane generalizations in an effort to sound as though we know what we're talking about?

I'm driving a '08 Legacy with a boxer diesel. It's currently in the shop to get its injectors fixed, which was a known issue until the models of late 2010 (Euro4). I bought mine with 94k (km) and had it in the shop twice now for engine related issues (130k now). The other time the exhaust gas recirculation valve needed replacement.

Apart from those issues I'm already preparing to sell the car again. Engines from the '08-'09 model year are very prone to get broken crankshafts, bent engine blocks and other major issues ultimately resulting in complete engine failure. Most engines fail at about 140k with a profile of mostly Autobahn and backroads, which is weird.

Subaru replaced these engines in late '10 with ones with average reliability (Euro5). These however are known for DPF and head gasket issues, they are however not nearly as bad as the issues of the previous ones.

Subaru replaced a lot of faulty engines for free in the first years so make sure you get one with a replacement engine. Ask if the block is new though, sometimes they used fixed broken parts again, which are just as shitty.

Replacement engines came as shortblocks and longblocks. Shortblocks used only a new block but old injectors and everything else around. Longblocks are completely new engines, which should be more reliable. Still, shortblocks seem to be more reliable as cases of failed longblocks became known.

These issues occured in all models: Impreza, Legacy, Outback and Forester, so be sure to get one after '10 or with a replacement engine and you should be good.

Thanks, it's this sort if post I was after.
I'll definitely be taking note and cross referencing all your information. Heck, I may even take the hit in fuel economy and go for a low mileage XT. I'm comfortable enough with an EJ255.

Why don't you just use google because that's literally what anyone who is going to give you the information you're asking for is going to do for you.

Why don't you just google boxer diesel common issues or google a diesel boxer car and see what people complain about.

I was doing some research on the matter and pretty much got the same info he said here.
I like the boxer diesels cause the fuel consumption in petrol versions is a bit much for european petrol prices, but I really want a gen4 legacy (imo best looking wagon ever). Advantages of the diesel
>em pee gees
>muh top mounted intercooler

it's not that easy, since most of the information is posted in german/austrian/swiss forums.

OP, the boxer diesel is the nicest diesel you will ever drive, i fell in love with it and my '08 legacy. It almost feels like a gas engine compared to the crappy VAG diesels with their high torque at low rpm's and then nothing after that. The boxer revs in a way an engine is supposed to rev and with gorgeous sound too. Take note that the clutch will need replacement usually every 60k-100k though and the only option transmissionwise is a 5MT with long gears (hence the clutch problems).

Gas milage will be around 32-38mpg, which is ok. The range of about 850km is really nice. A Forester XT will get a little over 20mpg in real world driving I think. I don't know anything about those engines though...

Boxer engines by default are leaky as shit, not even Porsche got that under control 50 years later.

Nor do they want to because muh heritage of leaking oil on a brand new car.

That was my first move you shithead, and nothing was turned up in such great detail as the post I responded to. Google search simply turned up generic quibbles that all engines, whether diesel specific or not, could be prone to. Just like the first two "serious" yet redundant posts ITT.
I'm a big fan of the economy for a mid size family wagon with the diesel.
Real world accounts for the XT seem to hover around 23mpg combined (driving cautiously) and up to ~25 on the highway. I reckon a lack of sixth gear costs the XT somewhat, although for the given performance I feel that's acceptable.

what model year Forester are you looking for?

>be a retard
>ask specific questions regarding a specific year make and model on a forum where all content is purged after a short while.

I have no face

It'd be the latest, lowest mileage Series 3 we can get. Series 4 is still way out of our price range, and the Series 4 XT (if we go the XT route) doesn't have a proper gearbox option, so that's out.
It'd be ~2009-2011 with 50k-80k miles. Not 100% about when we got the updated diesel (ausfaggotry land, with more laxed emissions) compared to where you may be, but I'll look into it.

Also worth noting, I'm pretty sure all our Boxer diesels copped a six speed manual.

6 speed manuals were introduced at some time, the Gen 4 legacy I was referring to only had the 5MT option with the diesel though.

Please, whatever you do, don't get the first generation diesel. You will not feel the engine failure coming. Reading through the forums is a nightmare. The mechanics in Austria seem to be more competent regarding Subarus than in Germany but as I said, there is no way to find out, your engine could shit the bed any minute.

See for yourself:
subaru-community.com/subaru-foren/boxer-diesel/97876-boxer-diesel-2008-2009-wirklich-so-viele-motorprobleme/
subaru-community.com/subaru-foren/boxer-diesel/47941-boxer-diesel-mit-meisten-km/

Thanks man, you're awesome.

Have you thought about lpg at all?

why would i?