So, uh, it isn't supposed to look like this, is it?

So, uh, it isn't supposed to look like this, is it?

Lash set wrong

Just use some synthetic oil, she'll be right

Zip ties will fix you right up

You lost a thrust bearing or something mang. Look for pinion damage.

Oh! rear end thread! here's mine

Clean all that grease off user! it look so messy in there.

I prefer acetone to polish my diff. Also use it to make sure all my seals are clean

Refill with straight gasoline and drive about 30 minutes?

Op here, if I turn one wheel clockwise and the other turns the same way, that means I have a limited slip diff, right? At least that's what a video I watched said

Yes

checked
also, neat. the truck is 4x4 and having even more traction is pretty cool

that's not a rear end, it's a differential

So did you run it without gear oil or did you do WOT clutch dumps after every stop you ever made?

If thats your rear end in the OP, then no its not limited slip.

Hard to tell but it looks like you're missing a spider gear, and thats whats causing it to lock up, also you don't a clutch pack in there or locker.

Neither?

>tfw sticky tires and a 5sp in a 4k# car

Depends, is it a Ford?

that actually sounds like a terrible fucking idea

Why?

that'll buff right out

did something push your rear driveshaft through?

tell us the story, nigga

>was planning on hitting the strip the next day
>beating the piss out of the car working on my tune
>had just put some sticky Nitto 555's out back
>rear control arm bushing were also shot so it had fairly bad axle hop
>leaving driveway get on it hard, loud bang

At least it happened in front of my house so I didn't have to push it far.

Blew one of the caps into bite size pieces and out popped the carrier. I had actually bought a girdle for it because I knew this would happen, but I was waiting until I put 4.10's in.

Rear end carnage thread? Don't mind if I do.
Here's the Ford 8.8 I had swapped under my Wrangler. 35" tires and constantly banging through gears at redline finally took it's toll.

All the bits and pieces of carrier and spider gears that came falling out when I pulled the cover

>banging through gears

is that a varilok LSD?
you probably locked your rear wrong on a trail or something

Nah, it's just a stock positrac carrier with a clutch pack. I blew out 3 sets of r&p's in the original Dana 35 axle just driving like a retard on the streets. Finally I had a 4x4 shop swap the Ford 8.8 under it with a truss kit, but 50k miles of beating the shit out of it and the carrier finally popped.

Lolyup

r&p's?

positrac is a generic blanket term for early viscous LSDs
which is probably whats running on that D35

but i dont D35s are terribly weak nor can a vLSD with clutches really have the stopping power to snap a crown hub that way

you must be running an abnormally larger engine or really just driving mad

Positrac is actually the Chevy brand name for their line of LSDs. Dana calls them Trak-Lok or Powr-Lok.

right, but people often use the term positrack incorrectly or unknowingly of what it truly is

No.

It's fine. It's been engraved for "personalization".

It's a semi-accepted slang term, like calling all facial tissue Kleenex

Anyone have an opinion on torsen style differentials?
Have an old 323i and I'm wondering how the handling will be affected by it. Any negatives?

Comparison to a clutch type?

I know how the different styles work but I worry how handling will be affected.
I want to have more traction but I'm also happy for it to act as locked on dirt or once in a slide

It's just the stock 4.0 straight six that was rebuilt and bored .030 over. With the ax15 5 speed and 4.56 gears, I can turn the wheels to the left when stopped, dump the clutch in 1st and it'll pick the left front tire over 2 feet up off the ground and hold it there all the way through 1st gear if I straight the wheels out and go. If I bang into 2nd just right it'll pick it back up for another second or two. That's due in part to the garbage-tier pro comp lift 4" lift that's on it.. the springs are sagging so bad on the right side.

my truck has a 6.9 idi and a huge bumper on the front, so it is probably a bit too heavy to do stuff like that