In terms of shit oil filters how shit is fram?

In terms of shit oil filters how shit is fram?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WsTiQDiML9s
youtube.com/watch?v=hsQ2LbHGSy0
540ratblog.wordpress.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I
hillerford.com/resource_library/2010/motorcraftcompare.pdf
jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eating-crow-fram-oil-filters-my-visit-fram-s-r-d-facility-dayton-ohio-1261517/
youtube.com/watch?v=xAdNL7bT0C8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Supposedly pretty bad. I've never had an engine die from using Fram filters though so who really knows?

Well damn, I needed to change my oil real quick because I won't get another opportunity any time soon, so hopefully the motherfucker holds up

My dad has used them for years without any problems, you'll be fine.

Shittest of the shit. Even that filter that uses toilet paper is a better choice.

i gota 200k camry that im pretty sure used fram filters its whole life. Never had any engine problems.

So the consensus is that there is no consensus

Postin

Saving for future reference

Isn't K&N just a fram with a nut welded on it?

>Fram tier
So bad it's on it's own level.
>Mobil 1
>Meh tier
I am not ok with this

So thats what that filtec label meant.
>Tfw google kept redirecting me to filter

no

youtube.com/watch?v=WsTiQDiML9s

The Fram Ultra filters are breddy gud though. Most of them are 9 dollars at Walmart with a 15k mile interval for all highway driving. Its got thick enough casing, wire backed synthetic media, and an actual metal cage supporting it. The Ultras have none of that plastic e-core crap that ACDELCO uses in their filters now.

What tier is Napa ?

NAPA filters are rebranded WIX a lot of times.

youtube.com/watch?v=hsQ2LbHGSy0

HI GAVIN

Yeah, but its a camry bro

Also postin

tfw previous owner gave me a milk crate stuffed with mann filters when I bought my E46

pretty nice that they also include new crush washers for the drain plug, not sure if other brands commonly do this

Mann on the right, can anyone ID the piece of shit on the left?

I often wonder what the quality control in these factories are like.

>Mfw the brand I put on my Honda isn't even on here

Supertech. Best $2.25 I spent that day

Supertech uses cardboard end caps instead of metal end caps, it's basically equivalent to Fram.

Always used Purolator One... not too pricey and seems well made inside.

Fram ultra is one of the best filters you can buy. I use one for 10k mi changes.

Other frams use fiber end caps and are more prone to collapsing..

That's cool because my Subaru has a Fram on it.

Only worrying thing about the supertech was that it was a lot small than the filter I took off... but fuck it, the whole car only cost me 500 diggery doos

Wow thank god I have a car where I can actually see the filter element like this

My bad, I knew it was a rebrand, after seeing this it was mobile 1 I was thinking of.

Not quite

While we're talking about pull filters, what about the oil itself, anybody got a tier infograph?

Synthetic from any of the reputable manufacturers is gonna be fine for most people.

Well, I found one but it's not an info graph

540ratblog.wordpress.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I
>There's no better feeling than a job well donne

Do you have one for spark plugs?

This. If you go for any from filters go for the ultra series they are decent. Personally my Subaru loves them Tokyo roki filters.

hillerford.com/resource_library/2010/motorcraftcompare.pdf

has a ton of comparison photos

>Hiller Ford
>Ford Dealer
>Motorcraft Comparison
No, not biased at all.

You can ignore their criticisms, and just look at how the filters are made. As you'd expect, the fram-tier filters are garbage and it's obvious.

Also, every adult knows that ford is gonna say that ford stuff is better, you just add that when you weigh the comparison. Bias should be expected when a manufacturer talks about their own product.

I know. It's funny that alot of the filters use the same metal tension clip as Ferd, but on any other filter, it may allow contaminants back in engine. Plus, there are some filters on there I thought would use metal end caps don't.

>It's funny that alot of the filters use the same metal tension clip as Ferd, but on any other filter, it may allow contaminants back in engine.

I think you may be confusing the bypass valve with the tension clip.

>summoning the GOAT

>oil change coming up
>thanks to Veeky Forums Im gonna spend the extra bucks for WIX or Napa Gold

fuck you guys
I do like treating my truck with the extras though

Just going by what it says.

>2016
>not getting the autozone STP oil and filter c-c-c-combo

its like you guys are made of money

>purolator
>god tier
>literally $3 each at walmart
fuck yeah bub

I mean, my shit cost me $20. So whatever.

just get a bosch filter. pretty much always guaranteed to be alright, and they're pretty reasonably priced.

>buying cheap-o combos
I like to spoil my truck with the small things since I can't do shit much else

Besides, I lag my oil changes a lot so I want something that can take my neglect

That thing always cracks me up.

My dad's used Fram filters for years, my first car used them for the entirety of its 210k+ lifespan and will until it dies, and he got a Wrangler to 250k using them before selling it and it ran well. His current Wrangled is approaching 200k and runs perfectly too.

Sure, maybe in high performance engines you might want something better, but in low power engines the oil filter really doesn't matter.

Basically this. What matters is that you HAVE a filter and change it often.

yes this, any SAO oil and cheap filter will probably be fine for Veeky Forumss 20 year old hondas and miatas

The tension clip has nothing to do with the bypass valve, dingus.

when are people going to realize that shitty 2$ purolaters are worse than fram? holy fuck people wake up.

I've only ever used OEM Toyota ones for my Avalon.

Still runs like a Toyota should. NEVER had problems.

Dude, this is it. If this guy is legit, this is the gold mine

>not being smart and saving money on a 5 qt mobil 1 full synthetic + STP filter combo for $30, throwing away the STP filter and getting a Bosch for 5 bucks, and still saving money overall.

No problem from Fram here. I've used nothing but Fram oil filters since the 1990's in all of my cars. The only non-fram were the very few times I didn't do my own changes but went to the dealer because of the free oil changes for a new car.

I don't take apart Fram oil filters, but I do use Fram air filters too and those look to be properly constructed and better than the competition available in consumer stores such as Purolator. Fram also seems to be willing to try new technology as well as having somewhat better physical construction (to me a less sloppy application of glue and cleaner edges).

Fram is fine. It's just a meme. I don't use them though because wix is cheaper.

As for filter comparison sites that are biased towards certain filter brands, it is important that the filters from the same time period are used. It's all too easy to cherry pick an old Fram filter as compared to Fram filters now. If you were trying to boost Motorcraft brand filters on your pro-motorcraft blog, then of course one would pick the fram filter from the bad time period when they were trying to compete against the china owned cheap brand but decided to go back to a more premium internal design.

Daily reminder OEM is the best

oems are just unbranded wix, bosch, denso, etc.

>tfw cartridge style filter
>tfw high quality Mahle filters available for $8

>In terms of shit oil filters how shit is fram?

The older Fram filters 2012 prior were made in China and that created a bad reputation for Fram. They've moved production back to the USA so you should see the "Made In USA" mark on the boxes. Chinese sourced filters didn't cut it and caused a branding problem for Fram.

You can also buy a magnetic oil drain plug if you're totally paranoid that metal bits might get around a cheap plugged up filter thru its internal relief valve.

This is a good solid bit of information about Fram filters and includes images from a visit to the Fram USA facility.

jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eating-crow-fram-oil-filters-my-visit-fram-s-r-d-facility-dayton-ohio-1261517/

>Plus, there are some filters on there I thought would use metal end caps don't.

Stiff metal caps might not be the best approach. As indicated in an interview at the Fram facility by 10 invited journalists:

Quote:
One early subject we brought up was Fram’s use of cardboard end caps. Gary (again, their Chief Engineer) was prepared and covered that subject thoroughly. He explained how the pleated filtration material, which is flexible, is glued to the caps and that the added flex of the end caps prevents the pleated filtration material from pulling loose. Here’s a good example that adds credence to Gary’s explanation… think flexible control arms vs. non-flexible control arms that are well known to tear control arm mounts away from what they are welded to. They use a fiber end cap for the Extra Guard and Tough Guard simply because it holds better than if it were to be glued to inflexible metal end caps.

Walmart stopped carrying purolator in february.

Are the basic purolator filters any good? Ive been using them for a while cause its like 4 bucks. Ive been thinking about using the more expensive ones since my car just clocked 200k miles.

Also tfw purolator changes the filters to the same red color as my car.

Right... Mobile 1 is ultra god teir

Mobile1

Why is this bad ? It's a good filter.. well shit tell me how it's shit guys cause if it's shit then my camry is in fucking trouble cause I've used 3 of these niggas.

>NAPA filters are rebranded WIX a lot of times.

Wix had published the beta ratio of various filters on their website. Accoding to Wix, one filter used in toyota trucks (which again is less dense than the OEM filter) captures 50% of particles larger than 21 microns and 95% of particles larger than 44 microns (nominal size). For comparison's sake, Fram's website says that their Extra Guard filters for that truck oil filter are 95% efficient at 20 microns or larger.

According to this guy quaker state super durability is the best oil without additives

He sure was shilling for lucas products though holy shit.

Have ended up with one from time to time, never had any probs, they haven't looked particularly dodgy when removed either.

I've never owned a car where the filter was packed into a canister with all these end caps and things

what's the point

are all these remotely mounted or do your engines not have their own housings or what

Well if you want it that high.
Mobil 1 isn't bad.

>hastings is mediocre
>one of the few makers that still use metal springs
youtube.com/watch?v=xAdNL7bT0C8

Remember that companies change their oil formulations as time goes by. Changes are not always for the better if the company is either resting on its laurels or treating each oil as a cost center item.

When oil is a commodity cost center to the company, if something occurs to increases costs of one part of the oil, the company will reduce costs somewhere else in order that the overall item continues to yield the same rate of return on investment it has before.

Mann for life baby

gay

Boutique brands don't manufacture so much as have a fulfillment house create the product for them. But there's no guarantee the fulfillment house (especially one in China) will not substitute in something cheap in order to increase THEIR profit margin at the expense of the Boutique brand's quality level. For example, who mann_ufactures Mann's filter paper? Some place in china?

Mann+Hummel 4 eva
>almost as good as Kolbenschmidt Pierburg

>I have never heard of Mann, it's a boutique brand
>European OEM
>6 international headquarters
wew lad

Mine says made in germany

>in green letters even

i think retarded user is trying to say where they source their raw materials from could be substanderd companies in China but:
>giant German international parts supplier
>has plenty of reason to source materials locally because EU
so no

It's personal attacks like yours which encourage people to become trolls.

>What is Veeky Forums?

>meme filters

fuck it, i'm on board

>According to this guy quaker state super durability is the best oil without additives

The 540Rat oil database blog doesn't recommend the use of additives. Just because additives can improve some oils and UNimprove other oils doesn't mean they are recommended. He said the data was included only because he had the data due to testing in order to determine if additives did work or not.

And he also said that more additives doesn't make some things better. Out of 100%, a certain percentage of the liquid is the oil and the other percentage is the additive package. The greater the amount of additive, the less percentage there is of actual oil.

>implying it actaully matters
just dont put anything into the oil pan

So no oil?

Shane?