/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

my.mixtape.moe/vxhnde.webm

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

basementmate.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q
imgur.com/a/AjIjq
lua-users.org/wiki/
lua-users.org/files/wiki_insecure/users/thomasl/luarefv51.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first i guess
the discord is great for non-shitposting though
encourage anyone seriously working on games to join it

first

Well?

reminder to give feedback to improve the art of the desert.

GET OUT

are they nice to new comers?

You're not exactly convincing me with a name like that

spaghetti

I cant into whatever scripting it uses
And i started my project before it went free

I think the art looks great, both yours and his. However, they kind of clash a bit because of the high-res textures and pixel art.

More work than it's worth for a 2D game

reposting progress

whats the most chill game to make

Harvest Moon

Rogue-likes
Clickers

>activate item
>create startTime variable, equal to getTime()
>effect lasts 20 seconds
>check if startTime < getTime() - 20 seconds
>if so, turn item off

This works, but if the player pauses the game, the time continues to increase, so the item could wear off while the game is paused. Is there a better way to do it?

I'm using Unity so I can learn a useful language like C# rather than a shitty irrelevant language like C++.

Only update your shit if the game is not paused?

>http://
but why

I have another question. Does anyone know a good program for group management. We're are only a team of four, but still proper team organization seems very important, and I am the only one there used to working on larger projects. I am planning on just running it like any other agile project.

Unfortunately the program we use at work for project organization is a payed program that they won't give me a copy of for personal use.

Just use a Google Sheets?

>1 second is worth $1
I don't even pay $1 for an hour worth of vidya

trello?

or something similar

when it comes to artists you basically need a labor camp

all colors seem randomly placed, it's hard to look at

I'll give Trello a look.

Way less documentation. UE4AnswerHub is annoyingly vacant and more than half the questions have no real answer.

With Unity I can google something and find an answer for it.

If the artist takes more time than me as the script writer I will be surprised. Even if I write at a quick pace I'm looking at 200 days minimum for a full first draft, and that's if we scale back the overall size. More likely gonna be 10 months or so of script writing, and another 6 of editing.

reposting

basementmate.tumblr.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q

Try Slack

I shall give Slack a look at well. I have used it before, but never used it for anything more than chatting.

And they say programmers can't do art...

I'll second trello. I've found it really useful in organizing my own projects.

getTime() returns the amount of time since the engine was started. It continues to tick even when the game is paused.

Sketched out the robot shibe thing for once, since I haven't really done that.

Still open for suggestions on names for this Megaman metroidvania thing.

What's the story of your game? Who are the protagonists and antagonists? Any important item elements? Stuff like this would greatly help suggestions for your game name.

are u still working on that sex game?

progress, redoing guis with new art, think there will be many more downloads for next demo day

Fur Fag and Friends

he looks exactly like the other shibe.

wew lad

Homo Gay Furry Day All the Way

trello

>a lightly younger version of your MC
m8, please don't follow nintendo hackery

>no option to ignore
What the fuck

>agile
Kek

herbie hancock

Trello seems like a majority. Thank you.

I also, as the script writer, am unsure if /agdg/ would at all be interested in my updates, as they would come in the form of massive text files of dialogue trees.

I do know one thing that /agdg/ is interested in. I am delivering the character profiles for the five heroines to my artist tonight (there are done, just have to send them after work). I am guessing /agdg/ would be interested in waifus at the very least.

I honestly am unacquainted with /agdg/ culture.

mega shibevania

>Trying to design a level
>Realize I have no idea what I'm doing

Will anyone notice if I just steal stuff from Castlevania?

there will be one though, I've made an event quick to test if I can delay next events holding informations (like who went) with checking out if killing off/sending soldiers to the desert works

>Will anyone notice if I just steal stuff from Castlevania?
Do not underestimate the degree of autism in the world.

Can it be that using timelines in Game Maker is buggy?
Enemies often appear out of nowhere for me.

Most of my progress today is just menu/UI/ini related so I'm popping this up again

post progress or dont post at all, thats what /agdg/ likes most.

im trying to improve my drawing skills
i think im doing better? sorry if the newer one looks like an alien. i kinda like it though but it's probably too stylized.

havent had time to write since i cant focus on anything else when my art looks like garbage

None of that is sorted out. Very much a gameplay first way of doing things.
The dog has the bandana because the scientist creating him had his beloved actual shibe die by getting run over by a car, so he passed on the dogginess and bandana to the robot thing he was working on.
The Anubis thing will be done after this game. Gameplay assets are a lot quicker to do than the animated scene stuff.
The easier to draw, my dear.
A shibe pun might be alright.

>Introduce concept (jumping)
>Player learns concept in simplest form (jump over one small pit)
>Add difficulty until player masters concept (jump from one block width to one block width)

It helps if you think of a game like this. Level designs shouldn't be random "add until I feel like its enough"

it will just get confusing if it looks the same.

ayy lmao

if you are working on metroidvania do this:
>make a straight path to the first powerup
>somewhere on the path make another path requiring the previous powerup leading to the next powerup + a short bonus area requiring the previous powerup
>repeat x times

someone post the pedo drawing tutorial for this lad.

where do I find struggling writers that work for peanuts?

There is one?

Post pls

>tfw you want to start a new project when your current one is underway

I don't have the link. If I had it, would've posted.

oh jeez man, go do some life drawing classes first
gotta learn the rules to break the rules

Whats the writing style used in the ace attorney games and ghost trick called? When it's 100% character dialogue.

I don't think i've ever seen that used outside of those games.

No.

Also Also why do you people insist on drawing big-eye chinese cartoons? You have a good, proud, WHITE heritage of art and culture to draw upon.

Is it considered a decent idea or a very very bad idea to work on two projects simultaneously depending on which one you feel like working on at the time

>The dog has the bandana because the scientist creating him had his beloved actual shibe die by getting run over by a car, so he passed on the dogginess and bandana to the robot thing he was working on.

Tetsu-wanwan Atom

a screenplay

i got you senpaitachi covered
imgur.com/a/AjIjq

I like this lewd game. I LIKE THIS

That's actually good. Having Atom at the end may be a bit much, but it's a good start.

chinese cartoon characters do not draw almost anything from Japanese people.

In fact I'd argue that anime characters look more like what people than Japanese people.

maybe because we are on an anime board and people here like anime

im sorry...

i like it much better with the bandana and no underwear. looks more interesting rather than sexual. keep up the good work

Sleeping Dogs lie

You don't really. In my experience writers are narcissistic idiots who want large amounts of creative control. Because of the fact you can tell if a writer switches & because they can easily withhold information they hold a lot of power. A lot of writers are extreme douche bag narcissists unfortunately.

Go to an actual freelancer if you want someone who won't throw a hissy fit and dick you over OR a friend.

It's not. You need to see a doctor.

I plan to only post Questions/Progress. Drama Queening and Tripfagging for attention is cancer, always has been. Thank you for informing board culture here is not much different from Veeky Forums.

Can't be bothered cross-thread linking, but for the person who asked why Unity input is so shit it's because it only polls the mouse per draw frame, which results in extremely displaced controls if the frames drop too much. In a properly-made engine input polling would be done regardless of rendering.

>posts like a haughty retard
>tripcode

I regret giving you feedback

Is there a good love2d/lua tutorial? I can't seem to figure out how to do the most basic things in lua I can do in any other languages.

Took me a bit to figure out that -- is commenting in lua.

let him keep the tripcode. it's easier to filter that way

the thing about Lua is that its extremely freeform, it's literally tables: the language

use this website, it's pretty much necessary if you intend to get anything done in it
lua-users.org/wiki/

I apologize for being a retard. I did not want to antagonize in anyway. I just think /agdg/ like waifus because the poll I made said people did. I really do not want to offend.

>I honestly am unacquainted with /agdg/ culture
Stop talking about things from the perspective of how it relates to you. Its hard when talking about progress posts, but look how many times you said "I" in this post.

Also don't waste our time with filler. Its annoying to read through a tripfag jerking off over their prose.

try not being an autist. make your game, post progress, be ready to get verbally assaulted if your progress is a 20 page Word document. fucking stop with the purple prose, we get you're a shitty writer already

Thanks for the website, first thing I immediately found on there was lua-users.org/files/wiki_insecure/users/thomasl/luarefv51.pdf which is already a huge step in the right direction.

The last few hours of messing with love2d just felt like I was aimlessly wandering around.

Most progress posts are people jacking off and whining. Not exactly a high standard to hold yourself to.

well people are all jacking off and whining here anyway, so the least they can do is post some progress.

I'm sorry, I did not intend to be this mean, you're just easy to bully

Joke's on you, I already am.

No idea how I'm gonna do my inverse kinematics in it yet though.

I mean, the issue is making a VN progress often does come in the form of Art + Dialogue trees. Coding for a VN is, for the most part, simple. I understand what you mean though. Probably not the best idea to post for a while.