Why don't you guys clean your engine bay?

Why don't you guys clean your engine bay?
Pic related. Nice and clean.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iMBFQLTtUHM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because I'd have to remove my hardtop, the rear half of my soft top, sound deadening carpet, and finally an access panel to get to the engine

Basically no one's ever going to see it unless they're helping me fix something which requires access to the top of the engine

Should of gotten FR

>NA boxer

gross

No thanks, that shit's boring

Takes like 7 minutes and it's only once a month.

Because it doesn't get dirty.

Kill yourself

When I pop the hood and touch the bay and come inside the house, it looks like I worked on the damn thing.

It doesn't make me money, save me money nor is it enjoyable.

So, fuck that.

Because its a deception thing with me. My engine is built internally but I actually took an oily rag to it to feign an under serviced old bucket. In reality it is far from it but I like the WTFs I get when people ask to do a run with me. Pic related, though I tossed the pie pan for a Pro Flo air cleaner.

>TRD
>DNF
Indeed.

You gonna delete that intake sound generator? I got rid of mine. Sounds way better in the cabin.

How do user? I have a 1998 Buick century. My first and new baby. And I would love to get in there and clean up. Only problem is that is would prefer not to completely fucking soak every electronic component.

Hard for it to get dirty when everything is surrounded by cheap plastic.

Honestly thisll be the cleanest it will ever be.

Does it void warranty if you remove it cause I still have mine

My car and bay are pretty sleek

What I do is lightly rinse with the hose on shower. Then I spray it down with degreaser and wipe. After that I rinse again then run the engine.

Oh probably, but if you have a problem with the car, you can always reinstall it in about 5 minutes.

Not covering the tube with the 12v DC cover conveniently located in the glovebox that fits the tube mounted in the passenger foot well perfectly.

its pretty much pointless when the cooling fan is throwing dust at it constantly

>Not wanting to remove unnecessary crap from your bay.

Found a guide online. Just gotta go to Home Depot and pick the stuff up. Think I'll leave that project for tomorrow.

I just don't want a big hole in my intake tract to pull moisture. I could plug it at the intake or plug it in my cabin. It's not like it looks like a full wire tuck after. OP how many times have you cleaned the engine bay and have you noticed any issues. Btw purple power is corrosive so I recommend a more mild detergent.

and its still a disquisting honda engine bay it can be as sexy as USA or german car engine bays are or these cars in general

There's a complete guide on the ft86 forums on how to do a delete properly.

I've cleaned it 3 times since I bought the car. Any recommendations on what I should use instead of purple power?

Camaro with an El Camino front

does the $2 strut brace come stock?

Internet says simple green. I know purple power is high concentration of acid which is bad for raw metal. Nice color choice. Pic related is me.

It does improve the look quite a bit

The engine bay of my truck looks like the outside of it. Or worse which is why I ask.
what process did you do?

DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN, rinse with water and soap

I'm only going by what multiple sources suggest and my knowledge of how purple power dissolves aluminum.

No amount of cleaning will fix that piece of shit you call a car.

>plastic intake manifolds

Least attractive thing in engine bay.

WOW I BET IT'S SO EASY TO CLEAN SOMETHING THAT'S ALREADY CLEAN

Welcome to the 21st century, grandpa

What is your car? Bred on hood. And I wasn't even talking about cleaning it since it is not that dirty in he engine bay

About as clean as it gets. I soap it down a few times a yr.

Keeping things clean is just as important as cleaning dirty things.
the intake is probably lighter and less likely to conduct heat since plastic is an insulator.

>remove top plastic cover
>wrap alternator in plastic
You might also want to disconnect the battery. Mine has it in the back so no point for me
>spray the entire thing down in engine cleaner
>dishwashing brush wherever you can reach
>hose it down with a normal water hose or pressure washer set to a very low setting
>airgun as much water away as possible
>hose it down with engine cleaner again
>use rough sponge on the spots that persist, and toothbrush in spots you cannot reach
>hose it down again
>airgun everything again
>remove plastic from alternator
>dry battery and reconnect
>use airgun to remove as much water as possible in the plug holes
>remove spark plug caps (if yours is a gas engine and not diesel) and use the airgun to dry them aswell

Simple process, quick job. This is the engine of my mothers Saab, and in the 14 years she owned it (2001 to 2015) it never had its engine washed. I should've taken a before-photo

You disconnect the plug wires to clean or only for drying?

Leave them on while cleaning, and remove them just to dry. You don't want moisture inside of them. If your caps need cleaning inside of them then you've got bigger problems than just them being dirty

Same goes for the distributor cap, if your car is old enough to have one

Bruh I'm not that new. But I have never cared to clean my engine before. We have had many discussions about snow tires before. How was your winter btw?

Lmao that's an engine? Looks like one of those fancy vacuum cleaners to me sonny

Mmmmmild as fuck

Ski resort opened a whole fucking month later than usual. We had some ok-ish snowfalls before and around christmas, but they were always followed by warm days & sometimes rain so most of it disappeared. Temperatures were higher than normal, very few and small snowfalls and spring came around at its normal time so the little snow we had disappeared quickly.

Biggest snowfall we had was the 29th of April; youtube.com/watch?v=iMBFQLTtUHM

This photo also illustates it abit; usually there is enough snow so that the orange protective mats will go over the top of the snowcannons

That picture was our worst snow of the season and lasted like 5
Days before it rained.

Never bothered keeping it spotless, but I go over it every now and then.

Mainly busy washing it off about everyday, absolute dirt magnet.

>flat-4 engine
>no turbo

I wipe it down with every wash

Mines never dirty. Benefit of living in socal.
Car hardly even gets dirty.

>hose off engine bay
>aftermarket fan thermostat goes fucky and sticks on for two days until it dries out

fuck it

But I do clean my engine bay

>posting meme engines

If the manufacturer wanted me to have a clean engine bay they would have made it perma clean, I'm keeping everything original kiddo.

Its beyond saving at this point

I'm about to just clean it with the same soap I was the car with.

Because both of my cars are worth less than 1000 dongers

paint looks dull you need to wax it more often

oh god this makes my dick hard, please clean it and post. i wish to see the before and after of this

get a bucket of hot water and dishsoap, heat engine up, throw bucket of soapy water in engine bay,rince off with water, done.

Wasn't going to wax cause I was planning to paint it another color. Think I've fallen in love with the silver so time to buy some wax. Thanks for the reminder.

>paying 5k to change the color of a stock car
literally why.

Since when are people not allowed to paint their cars?

Shits really good. I messed around and waxed the scratches on my truck bed and it made what was left of the paint look alot better. All 3 ridges looked The same to start

>its pretty much pointless when the cooling fan is throwing dust at it constantly

Despite those fans, the newer cars have pretty clean engine compartments due to air flow design concepts similar to those for Dyson and other vacuum cleaners. In those bagless vacuum cleaners, the dirt and air is mostly separated thru use of inertia, active air currents, and eddy air currents. The dirt, water, and dust seems to be thrown downwards in the front chamber. I have two electric fans in front and there is very little dust. I bought it in november 2015. It's been in the rain and sunny days. Freeways and city and once on a dirt road for 1/3 mile. It's kind of scary how clean it is despite all that air coming in.

>Cleaning the protective layer of grease off your engine so it can corrode faster
>Will get messy the next time you go fast or do work on it anyway

ISHYGDDT

What if my engine is made from aluminum?

No way it would ever corrode the aluminium under any normal circumstances

>aluminum doesn't corrode
>the steel bolts in my aluminum block are not galvanic cells
You should have detripped before posting stupid shit.

Every engine has corrosive parts and even aluminium corrodes in some environments. If you're somewhere with decent weather I see the point.

It's a part literally no one sees with cleaning having no appreciable benefit. The people with the cleanest engine bays are generally the ones with the money to just pay everyone to do stuff for them or the ones who hard park them bar turbosperg OCD enthusiasts.

I didn't say that aluminum doesn't corrode, but I don't see how it would ever be exposed to the elements to such an amount that corrosion would be an issue. Also; stainless steel bolts help quite a bit

I've yet to see it, and I live in a country with heavy salting during the winter, and lots of rain in the summer.

I like having it clean for af ew reasons. First is that I'm an autist who likes keeping it clean, second is that its "easier" to work on something as you won't get caked in dirt, and the third is that its much easier to see if you've suddenly got a tiny leak somewhere

Started removing it. Waiting till car cools down a bit.

Done. Happy now?

This is why I don't clean mine you scumbags!

Notice any gains with the filter? Also post the mod link.

pop my hood. see this.

why?

Is the fr-s a good car? Thinking of buying and tuning one.

Yes. Trolls hate it. It's not a powerful car though.

How much so?

It's not fast, but it's a good car and fun to drive.
>Muh feels

If you want it to be fast there's always the option of FI down the line.
>Inb4 just buy a different car then

>not just replacing the engine when it gets dirty

This was my laugh of the day

Why does gs400gay has to ruined every thread that he's in?

>only cleaning engine bay
pleb

What do you guys recommend, if anything, to clean the engine bay? Washcloth and water?

gonna need a little more than that buddy. if its bad, degreaser and pressure washer works real good. if its not, a little purple power or something similar in a squirt bottle and a semi course set of brushes works well. dont get water in the spark plug wells or your gonna have a bad time.

Get some proper engine cleaner. Meguiars, Turtle Wax and AutoGlym all have good ones.

Using a proper cleaner is important, as its designed to not be harmful for the rubber and plastic, which conventional degreasers and other solutions might be.

A washcloth will not be enough to get the tough spots. A rough sponge or a dishwashing brush will do the trick, while a stiff toothbrush can be used for the harder-to-reach areas

Thanks m8.

see

I went and did it. I used formula 88.

I soaked it down.

You mean like one of those expensive Dyson's you can't afford because you're too fuckin poor. Yeah that's what I thought. You shut your mouth you Swiffer-sweepin motherfucker. Also, Oreck XL masterrace. Shit's light as fuck.

Oh nice, you actually did it. Sounds better doesn't it? Now you need one of those silicone induction hoses without the hole to clean it up even more. You can probably find one on Craigslist for $20 if you browse often enough. Looking good though.

I waited a few min. And rinsed.

Nobody's talking about these Satanic dub trips

go back to /b/ summer

I tried to dry off critical areas with the airline but it was pretty much just blowing water around the engine bay. I didn't scrub And I think it would have been much better if I did but now it's dark. I had to use the flash and it looks bad because of it, but I might take another tomorrow a maybe scrub. Results are 7/10 from a 5/10

Without flash

A vacuum cleaner is a lot different than a car you stupid fucking millennial