Oldsmobile Thread

Recently saw on Boldride.

news.boldride.com/2016/06/2000-oldsmobile-osv-concept-auction/105514/

The Oldsmobile Intrigue OSV concept is for sale on ebay.
For those who don't know, before Olds was killed, they were preparing to launch a performance division, OSV (Oldsmobile Specialty Vehicles), in similar vein to TRD, releasing special high performance models and offering high performance bolt ons as options at dealers. The first official OSV car (an Alero OSV powered by the 3.5L Shortstar V6) was greenlit for production a week before GM announced they were killing Oldsmobile and killed any projects Oldsmobile had waiting.

The Intrigue OSV was an interesting one. There were 2 Intrigue OSV concepts. One, the one currently for sale, was powered by a 300+ Hp supercharged Shortstar V6. The other was powered by a 4.0L Aurora Northstar V8.

Shit like this is why i wish they never axed olds and pontiac.

GM always kills something just when its going to get good

They even had an OSV Silhouette minivan powered by the Shortstar on the waiting list to be released.

Thats so cheesy its kinda cool. Being that dad with the """sporty""" minivan would be hilarious.

The minivan market was hot at the time and no one had made a dedicated performance minivan... almost 20 years later, and still no one has done it.

Caravan hellcat when?

when hell freezes over

Oldsmobile had some batshit insane projects GM canned to protect the corvette.

I would love to see this head to head against the Grand Caravan Concept

Does gm still own the rights to olds? If not someone should revive it and try to hire as many old engineers as they can and say "hey remember all that awesome shit you wanted to do but weren't allowed? Do it."

That would be awesome

GM does and doesn't own the rights. Remember the bailout and how GM literally declared bankruptcy? GM was split into 2 entities. Olds GM, and new GM. New GM owns the rights to Buick, Saturn, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Opel, Holden, Vauxhall, and GMC. Old GM owns a bunch of the old defunct factories and Oldsmobile. Tesla purchased their current NUMMI factory from old GM.

At least that's how I recall it happening. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

They had been planning to kill Olds since the late 80s. There's probably whole books written about it, but I've heard that from people who worked directly at the high-ups with GM. So to be fair it was looooonnng time coming for its demise. Buicks always just sold better (there was a notable sales increase for the marque in the early 90s, 3.8 ftw) and the target market was the same for both. The "Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" campaign is ironically what put most of the nails in the coffin.....people WANTED their father's Oldsmobile and not some of the newer sportier stuff being offered at that time. It was terrible GM marketing as usual.

As for Pontiac, if you'd heard GM's plans for Pontiac as of 2008, you'd be happy as a clam that they killed the company off while they still had dignity. People are still bitter about it but there's really no reason to be. GM doesn't know how to market its own products, it never has. There were too many brands, and there had to be casualties.

>no one had made a dedicated performance minivan.
yeah, mainly because that's a stupid idea