Emulation General - /emugen/

NES Palette Shitposting Edition

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935
archive.org/download/SgaStrnCmplt
gamefaqs.com/psp/975255-no-heroes-allowed
youtu.be/8yxLlkTFyU4
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>3DS VC and Wii VC both have it as different colors

Nintendo careth not for accuracy or even consistency.

Handheld screens seem to always need brighter colors to look good so I suppose that's why.

The fuck if I try all of those.

Anyone running AMDGPU in here? How's emulation on it? I rarely play native games anymore and am looking to ditch Nvidia with their proprietary drivers. Also, Vulkan™ on ppsspp when?

Depends on the emulator.
Dolphin and PS2 don't work too well due to not using more than 2 cores.
Although, now that you mention it, Is the Vulkan fork of Dolphin done yet?

>Dolphin and PS2 don't work too well due to not using more than 2 cores.
What are you trying to say? I'm talking about the GPU side, no way am I going to use an AMD CPU for emulation. If you meant that you need more cores for the overhead, then I still would be skeptical.

>Although, now that you mention it, Is the Vulkan fork of Dolphin done yet?
I don't know. github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935 suggests it was a WIP, but I think it's merged in. It doesn't show up on my latest build however.

Oh shit.
my bad.
I was going to say that since AMD CPUs are multi-core, they don't work well with emulation since only the first 2 cores are used.

I don't use amd gpus but PCSX2-ogl will be totally fucked (almost as slow as an Intel igpu) with AMD AFAIK

I've had absolutely no luck with AMDGPU. Your mileage may vary though.

R9 380 here. Haven't had problems with RA or Mednafen on the open source drivers. RA Vulkan and Dolphin DX11 run fine in Windows.

Haven't tried Dolphin in Linux and too lazy to install proprietary drivers for Vulkan.

The open source drivers are kind of a joke for regular AAA games and likely always will be.

Don't mind.

PCSX2 dev can fuck off.

To clear any confusion, I don't mean just running an AMD GPU. AMDGPU(notice how I don't space it this time) is just a stack of open source drivers on Linux. I'd also like to hear from AMDGPU Pro.

That might have gotten fixed with more recent drivers.

>RA Vulkan and Dolphin DX11 run fine in Windows.
That doesn't really help me. Dolphin runs smooth with Nvidia drivers on Debian Sid, but that's because Nvidia proprietary drivers aren't shit.

>The open source drivers are kind of a joke for regular AAA games and likely always will be.
They're still pretty behind, yes, but I'd like to know regardless.

Honestly, they should just ditch proprietary drivers altogether if they're already doing an open source alternative. Nvidia's alternative, Nouveau, is a pile of shit on newer cards, but that's because Nvidia are assholes.

I managed to rip an ISO of that PS2 game I couldn't find online (Monsters, Inc. Scare Island).
Anyone want me to upload it?

Do it just to be a good citizen.

Is there anything I could/should do to compress it first?

Put it in a .7z at max compression

K.
What should I use to upload it?

Split it into 10 parts and put them one at a time on some weird site that makes you wait 5 minutes before downloading, downloads at 50kB/s, and makes you wait 2 hours between downloads.

You forgot having to make an account on the website to be able to download them.

Yep:

>Falcom Classics Collection (ファルコム クラシックコレクション) is a compilation of Falcom Classics (Normal) and Falcom Classics II (Genteiban) made by JVC in 1999 and again released exclusively in Japan. The games come in two separate CD cases - one single and one double.

>Games Included
>Falcom Classics
>Dragon Slayer
>Xanadu
>Ys

>Falcom Classics II
>Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (イースII)
>Taiyou no Shinden: Asteka II (太陽の神殿 アステカ2)

>Should be, have a look at the parameters in the shader screen.

Thanks found it on the "crt-interlaced-halation-pass2.cg" there is a line to comment to disable features on the file.

What's the best way to run Windows 98 on modern hardware?

VirtualBox

Can it do hardware accelerated graphics?

>Use 7zip to make an archive of a 3GB iso with max compression
>Final archive is still 2 GB

>expecting compression to somehow be magic

Well it's gonna take me a long time to upload a 2GB file.
Speaking of which, what's the best site to upload it with.
Is media-fire alright?

That's actually quite a good reduction.

sick

probably Mega

K.
I'll upload it either tonight or tomorrow.
No rush.

I can't seem to get the Saturn games from that archive link someone posted to work with RetroArch.
archive.org/download/SgaStrnCmplt

Don't forget the adfly links

Any one have this ISO for PSP?
gamefaqs.com/psp/975255-no-heroes-allowed

Not every game works yet.

Which core are you using?

yabause.
Is there something I have to do with the games first?
I've extracted them and i've got bin files and .cue files.

Which game specifically are you talking about?
You have set up the bios right?

Use mednafen-saturn

You need to be using Mednafen-Saturn.

Where do I put the bios in RetroArch?

dude we've literally been spending the last 3 threads jerking off over mednafen being better

the "system" folder

Wherever you want. Go into the directory settings in retroarch and set the 'system' directory to wherever your BIOS files are.

Anyone have problems with mednafen on Linux? I thought I had destroyed Pulseaudio but it's back, probably as a dependency to something. I tried adding sexyal-literal-default on the sound device, but it's fast forwarded to oblivion.

I've put my Bios in the folder, but it's still not working.
Should I just make a separate download of Mednafen-Saturn?

Has the BIOS pack been updated with Mednafen Saturn usable BIOS files?

Did you change the directory setting? And no, if you can't get retroach working, you're definitely not going to get mednafen working.

Yes.

Is there a link to the BIOS pack?

Use the wiki, lad. It's in the OP.

>Did you change the directory setting?
No, I put the BIOs in the default location.

Are there any Picross games for the Saturn?

Change it anyway to make sure. Settings -> Directory

Never mind, solved it.
Of course, I'm going to post solution. Just launch it with pasuspender mednafen and it works. Fuck.

I got it working now after replacing the BIOS with Mednafen compatible stuff.

I use daemon tools lite to emulate the games that have more than one .bin .cue and then i rip the game again from the emulated image using imgburn so i have just one .bin .cue, before i did that i couldn't get a bunch of games to run.

A video about it: youtu.be/8yxLlkTFyU4

Meh. Not redump.

Why would you want to use standalone mednafen?

Playing DMC & i am reminded how much PCSX2 sucks

The fucking input lag & graphical glitches, one of them being a regression that still hasn't been fixed after all these years

Im so getting fucking sick of everytime someone reports a bug they ask for your hardware details, as if it fucking matters

You sure?

Redump is no longer the be-all end-all after the "let's remove absolutely 100% critical NES cartridge information from all the ROMs" fiasco. If they don't care about preservation for an important system like NES why even bother trusting them for anything else?

Redump does not do cartridge media you fucking mong. Your beef is with No-Intro.

>Redump is no longer the be-all end-all after the "let's remove absolutely 100% critical NES cartridge information from all the ROMs" fiasco
They reverted that change.

PCem

Redump is for discs you mouth breather

Appears to be some bullshit like TOSEC or Goodsets.

>input delay
To be fair, that's a caveat of most all emulators, though it does seem a bit worse on PCSX2. I remember struggling with QTEs in Yakuza because of it. At any rate, the HD collection is pretty good.

Still not talking about the right group.

Installed.

What's the best GPU settings and where do you get the drivers that work?

Are the PS2 Ace Combat games playable in hardware mode yet?

Nigga that is absolutely retarded. Just load the cue and everything will take care of itself unless you are using shitty dumps

I don't think no-intro even had anything to do with the no header thing. They always kept the headers as a separate dat.

That was just whoever uploaded it to archive.org

Also, I still think the headers shouldn't be kept as part of the roms.

Two can play that game, why would you use Retroarch on it?

To be fair, I know mednafen on RA is more up to date, but I haven't looked up on how to build Retroarch without building every single core. I just have to read some more. MAME for one, takes ages.

He is using shitty dumps. Next he will tell you they couldn't possibly be shitty because they are highest quality emuparadise ISOs.

Even emuparadise dumps usually have directory only problems which can be fixed by opening the cue in a notepad and editing it.
The guy isn't just reinventing the wheel, he is reinventing the wheel as a square.

>To be fair, I know mednafen on RA is more up to date
No, it actually isn't. There are fixes in standalone that still haven't been brought to Beetle. Let's not start the shit flinging from the other day again.

Have you seen the fucking bilinear they put on GBC and NES VC for 3DS? It wasn't even necessary.

Shouldn't, but due to universally present emulator design choices, must be kept. Such is life.

He will just to be a prick.

>No, it actually isn't. There are fixes in standalone that still haven't been brought to Beetle. Let's not start the shit flinging from the other day again.
Well that's good to know. I haven't done any research on these things.
For instance, full screen takes the entire screen estate instead of one monitor. I guess I just have to read the manual. Fuck.

Really, drop this free software bullshit, you life will improve by 40%. I too used to be a freefag.

That's retarded, headerless roms work fine in nestopia and others I'm sure.

It takes like 10 minutes to write a script to add or remove them from the whole set anyway if you wanted to use an emulator that didn't support headerless roms for some reason.

>Really, drop this free software bullshit, you life will improve by 40%

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

user, I have no problem running proprietary software given that I run games on the system. While I do prefer things to be open, I just dislike Nvidia as a company and genuinely believe they're fucking things up with their gameworks bullshit. That's not saying I like AMD either, they're both pretty shit on different regards.

They had an exclusive fullscreen mode that reduces a lot of input lag, but they scrapped it because "alt tabbing easier"

Holy fuck the old PCSX2 guys were incompetent

>but they scrapped it because "alt tabbing easier"
>implying that isn't worth every sacrifice

No, because it hampers the usability of homebrew ROMs, and the space requirements are identical or if the ROMs are stored in a single arithmetic encoded archive.

It is more up to date when it has stuff upstream does not have.

Last I checked, a headerless ROM will not load in Nestopia et al. They don't know what fucking mapper it needs without that extra info.

This "Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M).7z" was a redump castlevania that a user upload to mega, and it is the same shit that is there on the that link.

I don't want multiple bins, i don't care if you think it's retarded it actually solved my problem with already patched translated images.

Now this piece of shit here is just a retarded autistic tryhard excuse for a human being that doesn't even know his head from his ass you mongoloid twelve year old kid.

>No, because it hampers the usability of homebrew ROMs

No-Intro doesn't do homebrew

That's quite the mental illness you're sporting there old bean.

So you're saying every NES emulator should have both an internal database of all known ROMs, which happens to agree 100% with No-Intro, and the ability to read iNES headers for other ROMs? That's fucking retarded. It's more complicated and wastes more space for everyone involved.

I will never run Windows on bare metal ever again.

>They don't know what fucking mapper it needs without that extra info.
what
header just shows what type of rom it is in plaintext. how does that affect mappers?

The older emulators don't use a database so far as I know. Perhaps newer ones do?

HW rendering is not something Rye. has planned for standalone as far as I know.

NES carts don't have headers at all and that's why the user ones exist in the first place.

Just add the homebrew to your database or even just keep using headers for those cases.

It's not about storage size (the full NES set is relatively fucking tiny either way) it's about autistic archival standards.