/mtg/ Miata General

You heard it here folks, it's time for another /mtg/ Miata General!

Got a new dashboard that's not cracking installed today..I don't have a picture yet but eh, here's a meme. Any who, I finished installing the dash and getting everything hooked back up only to realize my gauges no longer work...I think it could be the new wiring harness but what should I check?

>>>/lbgt/

Spent 2 hours driving around trying to find a passenger side fender and didn't find one.
;_;

You near SoCal? I've got one..

I'm in vegas

Ah, I'll have my contacts there keep on the look out.

I'll be at the pomona swap meet this weekend if you're near there

I live in San Diego so a few hours south, my plans got cancelled this weekend to drive up to the area for a part pickup or I would be.

what are some reasonable priced coilovers that arent complete shit? ive heard bad things about raceland but that price looks good.

dang oh well, sall good.

RACELANDS FUR LIFE

Riceland's are love, riceland's are life.

is it better than stock? my ride feels pretty rough right now. tires are new

lol it's not smoother than stock, it's stiffer.
If you want a smooth ride don't look at performance shocks.

are there luxury shocks

new factory shocks and bumps would probably fit your bill. that or airbags? but please dont.

>luxury
>miata
Yeah, idk man.
If you want smooth just get oem replacements.

with airbags i can properlycruise down the ghetto i live in right?

my idea of luxury is pretending im in a phone booth makingtrain noises while shaquille oneill pushes it across an ice rink

Racelands still garbage, mrcummy still can't tell shit suspension from good.

Pic related, the Racelands that came with my car are going in the dumpster where they belong

Bought Meister R Zeta S for mine. Very happy with them. I can't find a single bad comment about them on the internet, so they must do something right. Skuzzle used them when they tuned Mats MX-5, and OneLapHeroes used them on their "Ringbanana".

The helper spring looks nice, but the fact that you can't adjust the height without adjusting the preload means that they are shit.

I'm 6ft, would I have decent headroom in an NC with a detachable hardtop?

> didn't think miatas were that great
> just picked up miata rental

;-;
returning this on tuesday is gonna be hard

Buy one, they're super cheap and reliable.

i think i will

and GAYGAYHOLY SHIT guys this isnt funny anymore.

Faggots. Enjoy being alone forever and getting laughed at

I saw a bearded russian mobster looking type cruising around in a miata once.

Where the hell do you rent a 20 year old car?
That's a nice clean car.

found it on turo
it's kind of like airbnb for cars

Hey, this is a cool site.
Thanks fur showing me this.

:|

just dont get your dirty furry shit all over the nice cars

Was it around Chicago? I think I've seen someone who matches that description several times there.

2012 audi a3 $40 day
2007 Hyundai Tuscon $40 day
2010 Prius $36 day

Well I live in crap area apparently. Its like they aren't even trying to compete with rental places.

benefits are that you get to choose what kind of car and there are a good number of manuals.

where i live i would pay about the same and get a much less fun car

Warsaw

Throwing another coat of polyester primer on this bitch.
Got a new fender finally, 175 dollars fuuuuuuck me

Before you remove the wiring harness,
> 1 Check to see everything is connected properly to the wiring harness and grounding is not an issue.
> 2 Get multi meter and look at the resistance of leads from the wiring harness to the appropriate connection.
> 3 If nothing is still working check to see if the alternator is producing 14V.

there's an 00 miata, green on black, at a local dealer that deals in motorcycles
it's $5 grand but only 32k miles, from photos it looks clean as a fuckin whistle

assuming it has no or very little rust, think it's worth it?

Miata weather.

Goddamn those Storm S1s are sexy

Fucking rotation

Not a fan of storms my man.
Anything with big gaps is pretty terrible imo
I hate being able to see all that nasty suspension and brake shit behind the wheel.
Much rather see a nice polished or painted wheel.

Chrome gas cap on muh NB is sticking, doesn't really open unless I push on the hinge while pulling the switch, which looks ridiculous. wat do?

Well number three is covered, just had my alternator checked today and it's perfect. So it has to be the connection or the harness (or grounding I guess haha).

Normally I'd say no but I actually would probably consider that lol
---
> In other news..

I finished my interior, at least for right now.

Among the ugliest tier of interiors I've seen, well done.

How's this?

You don't have to be a fan of them. Good taste isn't for everyone.

Okay, Miata newfag here. Drive a 93 stock, had it about a month now. I'm not an MPG nazi but from what I've read these things usually get about 28 or so. I don't drive mine hard but am getting about 20 MPG. Should I care?

Is that mostly highway, in town? Give us more info.

Wow look at that dirty ass suspension and caliper come on bro get that shit powder coated or cover it up S M H

why do that tho

Mostly in town. Probably also worth mentioning that PO filled it exclusively with mid-grade and premium and never adjusted timing

Moving into new place with gf on the 13th. I finally get a garage, building, and car port. My Miata has deserved a garage for so long, feelsgoodman

Thanks! The yellow speaker is temporary. My color combo is mint and purple.
Why do what?

Damn.

>look at that dirty ass suspension
literally can't see any of the suspension in that pic.

You're right though look, they like total garbage... Refinished the control arms last year because they were rusting. Upright wasn't nor was the caliper. No point in making that shit pretty if it's not rusting and it's structurally sound.

The fuck out of here with ricer painted caliper bullshit.

Fuel grade won't see an appreciable increase or decrease in mileage. Pretty much solely around town 20mpg is about right. My 1.6 was low 20s around town, averaged 27 combined, 32-34 highway. The 1.8 I swapped it with is a bit lower highway and combined.

I have a really strong smell of fuel when I take hard right corners in my 99.
I've been told to look at the filler neck and the shelf behind the seats. Shelf behind the seats isn't hard but I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for around the filler neck. Over looked there before and just tightened some clamps but what exactly am I looking for?

Compromised hoses and leaks...

Take the parcel shelf carpet out before you drive it hard again.

>painted control arms and inner fenders
>didn't take the time to put the bolts through a piece of cardboard and spray the heads black

also don't you hate it when you see aftermarket control arms, coils, shocks, sways etc and the stock spindles stick out and look shitty

No, I don't hate that. As I said, I only did the control arms to take care of the cancer that was starting to take hold. No point in doing fasteners and the like. Same reason I didn't do the calipers, sway bars, or uprights. it's my DD during the summer. I drive it, I don't hard park it.

Also, that's undercoating on the wheel wells, not paint.

Thanks, glad to hear it's not a lemon

I'll be at the Pomona swap meet too!

But I'll be with my normie brother and avoiding internet interactions.

What kind of gains could I see on my 1997 1.8 (133 crank hp stock) with the following mods:
>A good intake
>Header, midpipe and exhaust, high flow cat
>Megasquirt pnp2 with the AFM delete
>COP conversion
>93 octane tune

Nigga im baked as fuck dont do that to me
This pretty much, might be one or two manufacturers out there that make softer shit

If u can get someone to pass you for emissions, do a set of long headers and a 2.5" straightpipe, for the intake make sure its actually getting cold air which means not where the stock intake is. That and getting a tune for a few hundred should bring you up to 155ish.
If you want a lot of more power, dump a couple grand into piecing together a turbo kit with a smaller turbo so no lag. Stock 1.8's should be good to 200 ish, so you can get almost double with a stock longblock.

no m8, it's not that guy, it is you who have shit taste
RPF1 are pretty much the only slim wheels that actually look good on NA

it could look nice on NC though

>implying they won't kill themselves long before then

whenever i drive my miata in 1-3 gear,when i accelerate in the 2k RPM range, I keep hearing a metallic rattle that can get a bit embarrassing when driving, since its kinda noticeable to hear. Someone told me it might be a defective exedy clutch installed from the previous owner, but I honestly doubt it. I tried looking at the exhaust hanger but it seems completely fine. anyone had similar issues?

Only during acceleration?
Is the same thing happening when you take the feet off the clutch?

Yes only when accelerating in the 2k-2.5k range in the lower gears. oddly enough, sometimes when i'm idling, when I fully press my clutch inwards, a little sequel that it makes when its in idle goes away but comes back when I'm idling while not pressing the clutch and shit. Its bizarre as fuck

Might be the heat shield around the exhaust. My car does the same thing in 2-3k RPM range but goes away when it's just idling. I have some metal "zip ties" that I keep neglecting to put on the heat shield to suppress that rattle.

Guys I'm thinking about buying my uncles 93 miata from him for 1400. It's got a brand new clutch and brake master cylinder. 170,000 miles on it. Good tread on front tires, rear tires will probably need replacing within the next six months. What do you guys think?

That has to be the gayest shit I have ever seen. Might as well be 2 guys fucking.

holy shit
they put it up for sale mid day yesterday
just called about it
it was sold an hour ago

fuck, it's true what they say about good deals on miatas, you gotta move quick

Could be an exhaust component touching something somewhere. My cheap eBay header used to rattle against my transmission. It was terrible

That's a pretty good deal if there's no rust and the top is in okay shape.

Sounds like a deal, man. 1400 aint bad at all. Do you have pics?

It ain't the weekend until the Miata is up on jackstands. Anybody else have an ongoing project? I'm replacing a rear caliper that seized on me earlier this week.

Top has a small hole, but it comes with a car cover. It'd also be my second car and whenever riving it the top will be down. Worst case scenario, how tough is it to patch?

Out for lunch now, will take pics when we get back.

Thinking of this look for my nb. Those wheels are so classic for the na idk if it would feel the same on an na

Of course. Though it's mostly cosmetic, aside from installing koni dampers and eibach springs. Recently i replaced the wheels for special snowflakes. These forged fuckers were worth every penny.
Now i have to get rid of these fucking rusted lugs.

They'd look nice on NB too.
Though if i had NB i would aim for classic Rays Volks. Can never go wrong with these.
Just don't buy knockoffs if you don't have the money.

>tfw no NB with popup headlights
I wonder if the FD front end would fit on an NB

Just get an NA front end? It's the same bloody car.

NA front end doesn't really fit, and the square headlights don't fit the NB's body style.

FD would fit better since the NB has similar lines.

front chassis is different. wings/bumper/lights/hood would not fit without pretty much a complete chop n weld from the firewall forward

I actually just replaced a front driver caliper that locked up on me. Dude I love working on my Miata so much, I had minimal experience before it and I was able to do the new caliper, both new rotors, and pads in an hour.

Yeah the NA front end doesn't really fit on the NB. Vice versa has been done though pic related

Honesty though the NB front is really nice with a lip. The headlights of all things shouldn't be the reason why you do or do not buy a car lol

muh shitbox when it actually looked presentable

and what it looks like now, after a front end bump. bumper pushed back, replaced bonnet (orginally green) and that plate sticker is covering a big crack
more pics on my IG @mintsauce

And it still looks like shit

thank

Paint the side-skirts and fit your plate on the front-right of the car.

And you can fit an FD lip (with some effort)

the plate is there because its covering up a crack, and the only reason it has skirts is to cover rust (got them cheap). im pretty much done with this car, it needs far too much money spending on it to sort rust issues out. im only running it until i get enough to buy another (maybe an nb) then sell this one in parts. at least now i know what to look out for when buying one of these

What headlights are those?

Mine are super fucking fogged and can't clean them for the life of me so I think I'm gnna have to replace them.

shit and shit