Veeky Forums what is your thoughts on KIAs, specifically the Optima, Sorento, and Sportage all post-2011?

Veeky Forums what is your thoughts on KIAs, specifically the Optima, Sorento, and Sportage all post-2011?

The Koreans in general have been trying hard to shake the stigma that they've since the beginning. They've been tying to move beyond shitboxes. Basically they are at the point Japan was in the early 80s, minus having the Z under their belt.

1995 to 2001 sportage uses a mazda engine.
They are bretty gud

Looking at post-2011 KIAs user.

Is the stigma still warranted?

>Is the stigma still warranted?
It was about 20 years ago.

These days you'd be remiss if you didn't cross shop a car with the comparable Kia/Hyundai.

Any reliability issues buying used?

Fiancee drives a '13 Sportage and likes it quite a bit, though she views vehicles as an appliance and mostly chose it because it was pretty.

I asked her about it recently and she said she could see herself driving it for another 5 years, but certainly not 10 years.

Encountered any reliability issues?

Not other than her Air Conditioned seats have stopped working intermittently. Otherwise it's been a perfectly reliable appliance for the year and a half we've owned it. (Put on about 16,000 miles or so in that time)

How many miles did you buy it with? How's the interior legroom when you drive it? I was looking at a 2013 Sportage not too long ago.

Then again I'm a monster for most cars at 6'6".

It's super roomy front and back, has a good amount of accelerationn, and has some nice features. Steering is predictably numb and 'floaty', the infotainment system leaves a lot to be desired (and my car has Ford Sync).

I haven't done any maintenance on it other than fill the tires with air on occasion, so I can't speak on ease of oil change, engine bay layout, etc at this time.

What do you mean by numb and floaty?

I'm used to driving sportier cars with decent steering feel and little-to-no center dead zone in the center, the Sportage has a mile-wide center dead zone so I'm constantly driving like a driving pantomime trying to stay in the center of the lane. That's a common thing with Hyundai though, lack of steering 'feel'.

Post '11 Sorrento's are nice, I see them on the road all the time, Optima's are nice as well especially in turbo trim, and my God's sister has I think an '08 Tuscon (same as a Sportage) and it hasn't given her any problems except wear items which is normal

If you're thinking of buying one, don't. There are better/cooler/more interesting cars you could buy for the same money.

Like? I'd love to hear opinions.

I have a 14 Kia Forte 5 with now 38k miles on it from new.

No issues that made it unreliable but the following happened:

Button on keyless entry stopped working. They replaced the door handle.

Check engine light for some purge valve. They said it was a thing thats been happening and replaced it in a few minutes.

The Bluetooth pairing is fucking annoying and I turned it off. This is different in other models. It would say "PLEASE WAIT THE CONTACT DOWNLOAD IS STARTING" every time I started the car. Every. Time. Despite having contact sync turned off on the radio and the phone. They'd probably replace the radio if i went back and complained again but I use the USB stick to play music and cancelled my streaming service.

About once a week when I start the car it will re-scan the USB media instead of playing or showing the reverse camera. Takes about a minute, so I just use the mirrors instead. I haven't asked the dealer about that.

The Microsoft interface on the radio is clunky and I don't care for it.

The radio screen is small but doesn't dim nearly as much as the dash lights. I like it to be dark at night, so I keep the lights dim and the fucker still lights up the interior on "dim" mode. Theres an option to turn it off completely, but it turns back on if you skip or change volume and doesn't automatically turn off again. I have the basic radio, not the nav package.

I burned an oxygen sensor, somehow. Maybe shifting like a dumbass. That was another check engine light. They replaced that.

This was my first car with electric power steering. It centres well, but I never adjust it down from the firm "sport" setting, despite having two softer choices. It is kinda dead, I guess, but then all I really do is drive to work five days a week.

The engine makes all its boost and power down low and gets anemic at higher rpm, and I think a few of the gears are too short.

It's not a car worth modifying to perform better, but it works fine for driving places.

Sportage = KIA
Not Hyundai.

The boost issue sounds like they put a turbo with a small a/r on from the factory so you had boost from the start, I would imagine whenever your warranty runs out, if you keep it, you could either put a bigger turbo on it with a higher a/r or see if you can find a twin pulse(twin scroll) manifold and a twin scroll turbo and you'd have power throughout the rev range

They are a poorfag's shit credit car.

They are twin scroll on the 1.6 gdi turbo.

It isn't bad by any means, it gets out onto the highway at reasonable speeds and everything, and I understand the auto version is faster accelerating.

Just not like a bigger turbo where the power is more top heavy.

I'd say more 'design choice' instead of an issue.

Budget? Zip code? Cash or financing? How much down?

My Gf drives one. Has a 100k mile warranty, gets 42mpg, is a breeze to work on, and was only 13k new. She only cares about gas mileage, so it was the perfect choice for a new car. It's also exceptionally roomy with a nice sized trunk. The interior is plastic and kind of shit, but it has leather seats and power everything. I have no complaints.

Trade-in only, 85281, Financing, Trade-In worth about 7k private.

How much do you make a month? Do you know your credit score?

1500 a month and no credit.

This and they're doing a good job.
I have an optima and it's pretty nice.
Rides and handles well, good braking too. Comfortable and even hooks up automatically to my phone via Bluetooth.
Transmission is smooth and the 2.4 normally aspirated makes good power and is decently quick.

I used to think they were shit, and honestly the early aughts models were the most boring cars every fucking made in style and performance, but the only thing replaced on my grandfather's car so far are just normal wear pieces

Buddy has one of the 2012 models because it's supposed to be great on gas and he drives everywhere abdominal it's pretty nice interior and can go pretty decent for the engine it has. Nearly 200k miles and again, only wear parts need to be replaced

Don't finance anything. Get a credit card and build credit. Might even need a secured card. Join credit karma to keep an eye on it. What's your current car?

2011 Mazda 3i Touring

kia = killed in action

Fuck, it was warranted hardly more than a decade ago bud.

I called you mong already when you made a thread yesterday about this.

Get a Cx-5, 7 or 9 if you want a decent car. The kias have horribly shaped dashes limiting space up front and aren't as roomy out back. Shit visibility too.

Nigga how many times you gonna make this thread?