What's the best off road vehicle?

What's the best off road vehicle?
I heard Jeeps actually aren't that good for off roading and mostly just a meme car because Americans like Jeeps. So what is a good car for off road action?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vae9T_6nyT4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

whatever purpose built off roader you have access to. if youre in america its a jeep. in britain its a landrover. in japan its a jimny/samurai. the list goes on. you can pick some exotic bullshit but its a giant waste of money

Any jeep is actually a capable off roading machine

P
A
T
R
O
L A N D C R U I S E R

This

Also, it's not about the brand/model, it's all about your set up and how much you're willing to spend.

If you're talking plain stock then I'd go with one of the above.

You could set up a Miata for off-road for all I care.

Master race

Hiluxes are over rated now days.

Best for what? Rock crawling? Mudding? Expedition?

No, just overpriced

This.
Don't bother trying to spend a ton of money to get a "ready-made" off-roader. Get a cheap SUV/pickup with solid front and rear axles, then get a lift, bigger rims and offroad tires, and locking differentials for the offroad basics. If you're in America, the Jeep Cherokee is a great candidate for this. Just make sure you get a vehicle with good aftermarket support. You don't want to be stuck with no/expensive aftermarket equipment.

Whatever decent 4x4 vehicle is cheapest in your region.

>Diesel mechanical injection master race

UNIMOG

Niva
Uaz
Unimog
Pateikshu and cruisers
Defender

What is off road?

>all vehicles in this thread
>""""""off-road"""""""

>OLD Patrol/Landcruiser

Fixed.
Currently made ones are 3-ton, $100k land yachts full of electronics. And while LC200 still has sturdy suspension, crawl gears and stuff, Y62 Patrol is essentially a bloated Juke.

>that
>off-road
If you're going to post Russian vehicles, at least post some of their proper off-roaders.

>Not posting superior Zil screw-drive.

That's a cargo transporter, it doesn't have better abilities to go over shitty terrain - it just can carry 30 tons instead of 300 kg.

This thread is about stuff you can actually buy, though.

There is no offroad vehicle.
They are all built. You can't buy them.

But, the jeep rubicon is as capable or more capable than anything else on the market.

You CAN buy and .
No idea how you can import them though.

>it doesn't have better abilities to go over shitty terrain
That one does. Aside from being amphibious, both the rear tracks and the front tracks are powered, and the middle linkage is hydraulically articulated, allowing it to lift up the front or the back to increase approach angles. Its bulk also allows it to force its way through thick bush and young trees. Also comes with winches (front and rear), cranes and power take-offs.

It's one of the more capable off-roaders available on the Russian civilian market, used mostly by oil companies to transport workmen and tools to remote sites and for transporting prospects and geologists to remove Siberia.

Trecol is also amphibious, has angles as big as its power and grip allow, and winches everywhere. It's used by the same oil companies in the same conditions when they need a light personnel transport instead of a huge truck. You're essentially comparing a Mustang to a Peterbilt.

>remove Siberia
stupid baby form the eggn give bak our clay we will crush u lik a skull of pig. siberia greattst countrey

no

Or just Dont waste money and get one of these instead.

Soviet satellite bought them en masse and they're available surplus from $10k to $30k in Europe nowadays. Road speed up to 60 mph or something, amphibious speed up to 6 mph, armored, retractable belly wheels. Just gotta worry about getting them registered in your country.

>nissan patrol
>landrover defender
>mercedes g-class, but the old ones

>Jeep Cherokee
The 90s model right? Not a new Cherokee?

I remember doing my LandNav course in an Iltis. Incredibly capable little beast.

Lada Niva, of course. Tiny, full-time AWD plus crawling gear, awesome geometry, fixable with a hammer and vodka bottle, infinitely modifiable. And dirt cheap, so if you do get stuck afterall, you won't feel bad.

Puch G-Wagen, Lada Niva, Land Rover whateverthefuckitwas, Jeep Cherokee, Unimog

that is a real thing? I saw one of those but I thought it was a custom job

>Any jeep is actually a capable off roading machine

Renegade is not a Jeep. It's a Fiat.

Golf Country

>What's the best off road vehicle?
There isn't one.

What's best for you will depend on your specific usage. Purpose built is always going to perform better than stock.

By the way, there's been no such thing as Lada Niva since like 2003. Due to trademark bullshit, there's Lada 4x4 and Chevrolet Niva.

I personally like SUVs to offroad in
>Compact
Jeep Wrangler or CJ
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Toyota 4Runner 1st-3rd gen
Land Rover Defender
Nissan Pathfinder WD21
Ford Bronco 1st gen
>Full size
Dodge Ramcharger 1st-2nd gen
Chevy Blazer K5
Ford Bronco 2nd gen
Chevy Suburban 7th gen
Jeep Cherokee SJ
Jeep Wagoneer SJ

All of these are very capable off-roaders and can usually be had for cheap

S U Z U K I
U
Z
U
K
I

Fuck it. It's forever Niva in our hearts, we ain't gonna succumb to corporate bullshittery. Chevy Niva is a piece of trash anyway.

Gee OP, did you happen to hear this on a certain auto board of a Cantonese finger painting website?

Chevy Niva is the exact same thing under the hood though. You can swap like 90% of mechanical parts between them.

If a wrangler rubicon isn't a capable offroad vehicle then nothing is.

The best

Jeep is quite capable. The thing you need to worry about is reliability since its a chrysler. Nissan and Toyota is the surefire way to go.

all jeeps are fiat

>

Yes. Older the better.

stock for stock from what ive personally seen the new one wins offroad

>not off road vehicle
>not parked on a road

The wrangler Rubicon is definitely the most versatile. XJs, WJs, and other older jeeps are great, too and cheap AF

Oh, let them have their trendy 90s retro nostalgia. It's not like they can afford a vehicle built this century anyway.

>What's the best off road vehicle?
Tatra make the best. You just can't get the same performance while hauling heavy shit from anything western.

any SUV from the time before soccer moms bought them to replace minivans.

This.

They say: If you want to go into the wilderness, drive a Land Rover. If you want to come back, drive a Land Cruiser.

>nobody remembers how great these things are

Seriously, they are great for 4x4 and they came with the 4.0 v6 or the 5.3 v8

and driven by teenager girls

Mercedes G Wagon for sure!!!

And don't forget cheap and readily available.

G

They came with 3 engines depending on year.

4.0 OHV
4.0 SOHC (not reliable)
5.0 OHV - same engine as fox body but makes more torque down low.

My 5.0 is modded to 230 HP and 330 ft/lbs torque.

G WAGEN

W
A
G
E
N

>carrecalls02.jpg
Nice subtlety.

Depends what you want to do.

Heavy cars suck in the mud for example. So, in that situation, I'd rather leave a G wagon at home and take some really light old Toyota with some wider tires on it (or even if the tires were the same width).

Big obstacles? Need the ground clearance.

Wild gradients? Want something with low center of gravity.

etc.

I've got a first gen, and its just fine wherever i take it

maybe i can get it registered as a modified dodge caravan

What's the most ridiculously compact off road car you can think of?

>And dirt cheap,
Nope

Sierra

There's off-roading, and there's off-roading. To the point where you can trundle across minefields because the ground pressure's so low, or on top of snowfields, over whatever level of sand, and even swamps.

Or, of course, you go amphibious.

>registered as a fiero with a body kit

fixed

Depends on how much you're willing to stretch the definition of a "car".

Suzuki Samurais make fine off-road shitboxes.

offroad=/=overland

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU RUIN THIS CAR

One of the demo's the instructors showed us when I was learning to drive the BV206 was to run over someones legs with it. Sure it kind of sucked, but ground pressure was so low it never even bruised.

fucking this. Veeky Forums doesn't know the difference.

>they say
autism

>awesome geometry?

thats a fucking oven m8.

this is the best.

People who think Jeeps are memes just don't know what desirable off road qualities are. Ground clearance, solid front axles, approach angles, and size depending on different factors. Jeeps are an excellent off roading platform.

This is coming from a toyota guy: you are mistaken. wranglers are great off road even from the factory. Just dont use them for anything else and youre good.

>4runner 1-3

Landcruiser F(z)J series of the same era wipes the floor with those.

>diesel Wrangler coming in a year or two
My body is ready.

I'm curious to see what other design choices they implement as well

They're making a pickup body style Wrangler too.

What stock cherokees are you looking at? Besides the top of the line trailhawk most of them are just fwd mallcruisers. Good luck trailing with one of those...

ive only seen the xj off-road in stock form

so maybe im wrong

but i believe a 20016 forester is better off-road than a stock xj

at least is has a stock tow point

wtf were u thinking jeep
no tow hook?

YMMV

>a visible tow is the measure of how well a vehicle performs offroad
You should quit from life if the idea of having to fit a pair of these is harder to live with as opposed to gaining a drivetrain designed to go offroad.

VW bug.
Hitler did nothing wrong. Literally.
youtube.com/watch?v=vae9T_6nyT4

>LC200
>Y62
No user, not the luxury models.
79 series LC and Y61 Patrols are still being released in Aus, and are still good, but I did mean the old landies and patrols

Too bad it's going to have a Wrangler style front end.

Think anyone will make body kits for a Kaiser style grille and hood?

About 5k of them were made.

My truck has them ya dip

And u should quit from life if ur "off-road" vehicle doesn't even come with them
>pro tip
>jeep never meant for them to leave the mall parking lot

>My truck has them ya dip
As did my old J75 Landcruiser ya nimrod. I was comparing an XJ to the Forester that other mouth breather was talking about.
>fucking context, how does that work?