A thread for our beloved econobox pocket rockets. Talk experiences...

A thread for our beloved econobox pocket rockets. Talk experiences, ask for advice and questions and generally shitpost about the Fiesta ST.

>Roadtripping Edition
Hot hatches make perfect road trip cars, what's the best trip you've taken yours on?

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST to joining the MS3 and Abarth in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take off on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

>No title
u dun fucked up OP

>FiST my asshole
>not clio v6 RS
Its like having a small dick and saying its better. Enjoy the inferior car

Abarths welcome? Just put a new intake on mine last week. No more plastic engine cover makes access much easier. Changed the spark plugs in like five minutes afterwords.

>telling people any version of the american Fiesta is at all good

How are you finding it? I keep toying with buying one. Drove a base model 140bhp version and it was mad fun. Which variant are you running?

>My Clio has the same engine as the Twingo RS with like 2 less HP
>isn't considered a hot hatch

For the price it's been pretty great. I toyed with ordering a FiST first but it would have run me at least 4k more with an APR of like 2-3%. Got my 2015 for around 20k out the door at 0% no options (the way to go IMO). It's a great daily, average 34 mpg, always fun. Don't expect great fit and finish or luxury on the interior, but I don't mind simplicity. I get more compliments and questions about it then any other car I've owned.

Only issue I've had was knocking in the front suspension fixed under warranty.

Oh and I have the Abarth, so stock is around 165 bhp? Waiting for the Euro compulsion tune for 2015 to come out so I can bump it a little closer to 200.

Because it's all about the character of the var. A sloppy Clio isn't going to be anywhere near as hot as a peppy, fun Twingo

Yeah, I'm a bit torn between the 595 Competizione and a FiST. Not driven either yet, only the basic 595, but my mate has just bought a FiST and everyone seems to have one. You don't see that many around.

The base Abarth here has 140bhp, the Turismo has 160, and the Competizione 180bhp

Ah ok, we only get one flavor and it's closest to the turismo I would guess?

This is the one I was buying.

Got that engine in my MiTo, great fun, nice exhaust note for a little i4

How's the MiTo?

Are minis hot?

The S is, the Cooper is kind of.

7.2% Wow. My bank just approved a used car loan at 3%.

>get in crash
>die
>Are minis hot?

Yeah, but £200 a month is nothing.

The Cooper S and JCW S are yeah, although the R53 and R56 are a bit hotter than the current gen.

Pretty good, it's nicely finished inside, fun, nippy, decent mpg.
Only had it a few weeks though, so I can't comment on reliability yet.

One thing I have noticed is how meme the DNA switch is - great on twisty fast roads in Dynamic, awful in the city

Can I join too? No power compared to other hot hatches but it's a lot of fun going through the gears on back roads.

Drove to Galway in it, avoiding the motorway as much as I could. Lots of twisty roads and managed to break some ridiculous Irish speed limits.

Looks pretty good for a cheap thrills car too.

The Swift Sport is definitely a hot hatch

>136hp
>160Nm
>hot hatch

>dealership sticker

ewwwwwwwww

>rev-happy as fuck NA engine
>fantastic chassis

There's more to a hot hatch than just power and torque figures.

Be honest Veeky Forums, will I look like a huge fucking faggot cruising around in a Mazda3 Hatch? I'm going for the i Touring trim with a manual 6-speed.

not unless you yourself look like a huge faggot.

Actually this gen has the M16a which only makes 125bhp but it's a lot lighter than the old one, plus it's a facelift with the 7300rpm redline. The engine is still as lively though and it's a great suspension setup. It's not fast but it's quick.

I'm going for the stock look. Mainly because the car is stock except for the exhaust.

I wouldn't call it hot today, maybe when it came out and most hot hatches didn't have turbos or huge amounts of torque steer. If I was to get a hot hatch next it'd be a Road Clio 200 solely because it's NA.

>NA engine
That's so last century, man.

Can't beat that delicious immediate throttle response.

If you own a VW polo or VW golf you should fucking kill yourself

>If you own a VW you should fucking kill yourself
FTFY

The RS 200 is a fabulous choice

>Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.
Name two RWD hatches currently produced

joining you soon user

BMW 135i
BMW 120D MSPORT

All of my mates are buying new cars, and all except one have bought hot hatches, and I'm sat here waiting for my insurer to write mine off.

Pic is 3 of 4 of my mates new cars, including the one not hot hatch.

Great colour. Why the 5-door?

It actually only comes in 5-door here in Ausfaglia, but I'd get the 5 door anyway or my girlfriend would complain (even more than she already is)

tfw all the grills want to be in your car because all the other shits have 3 doors

lol that counts as one. nobody but bmw?

No, because everyone knows the best hot hatch formula is ~200 - 250 bhp, fwd, 6 speed manual.

So; considerations for my new car
>Abarth Competizione
Possibly a bit too small and >5 speed, but mad fun. Quite like the styling, and a lot of the colours, will probably go Campovolo Grey
>Fiesta ST
Seems alright but everyone has one and there isn't a colour I really like. Reviews have been good, but a mate has just bought one and I don't really want the same car. Would go white probably. Or get a Nardo Grey wrap.
>Polo GTI
Reviews seem to say these are a bit shit, but I actually really like the styling, particularly the lights and rims. Seems a tad more mature. Probably have it pearl white or Nardo Grey if I can.
>Ibiza Cupra
Same car underneath as the Polo, the styling is a bit more hit and miss. Really haven't done much looking at these, dont even know what colours they offer.
>Clio RS
I really like the styling of these, and I fancy trying out the EDC box, and my last car was the previous gen RS. Also liquid yellow is to die for. But reviews haven't been great, and I don't know if I will miss the manual. Would 99% certainly take it in Liquid Yellow

WHAT DO I DO

Also the new Twingo

Personally I'd get a Clio RS or a Fiesta ST (they should come in magnetic over there now, too). The Abarth is a distant 3rd for me.

Drive them all and then decide for yourself tho.

See, of the lot, I've only driven the Abarth, but it was the basic 140bhp model. But that was actually very fun, just the seating position was too high. I think the Competizione has a better seating position because buckets.

I would just recommend giving them all a fair shot before deciding. Having a mate with the same car would be pretty sweet since you can learn to wrench on it together, always have a bud for an install day, and can try and find meets around you etc.

The Abarth is a cool car, and the engine is supposed to be reliable, I'd just make sure by driving all the ones your interested in first.

Top tier taste.
>Tfw no swift turbo till way in 2017 and spent money on vitara turbo

in the states a 2013 abarth goes for less than 12k.
>feelsgoodman.jpeg

other than some reliability issues it's just that muricans think fiat is a meme

how do you think the MiTo compares to the 500 abarth?

I got a Volvo c30. it's turning radius sucks. what can I do?

Sell it and buy something better.

Question about the FiST

Where do they do the mountune MP215 kits? Are they available in all Ford dealers?

Also is it worth getting the MP215, or just go the full mile and get the MR230 upgrade?

215 is still 35 horsepower over standard, and doesn't void your warranty

I believe you have to order teh MP215 from Mountune, and then have (I believe) a certified mechanic install it, then you have to register your car with Ford Performance, and then occasionally you have to go through them to to get dealerships to honor your warranty.

It's a lot of hoops to jump through for a little power gain and a lot of cost, personally I don't think the 'stage' kits are worth the cost.

For being so small it looks like a well laid out engine bay. How is accessing the oil filter?

Are the 2008-2014 wrx/stis considered a hatch or a wagon?

They're a hatch. A wagon is an extended saloon.

I have never loved a car like this before.

Next stop is tuneage

are the golf gti and r considered hot hatches.

The MkI Golf GTI is basically the original hot hatch, so yes, all of its successors are considered hot hatches. The GTI is basically the hot hatch that everything else gets compared to.

Ah. It does sound like headwork desu.

I'll guess I think it over a few days more before deciding what to do

>TFW everybody sleeps on the Kia hot hatches

because there are tons of better options for the same money

I think its a solid hot hatch

but I also bought it, so, that sort of speaks for itself

Which one's that? I know the ProCee'd GT is a decent option for a "warm hatch", not quite a Golf GTI competitor but not full ecobox mode either.

I'd recommend a rear motor mount to start, and wouldn't go terribly far past that if you're really concerned about warranty.

It's the Forte5 Turbo SX with the TARMAC EDITION shit on it

Piddly pum, tis such a wanking pity that you bummers of the queen can not go to the Paki shop and Nick yourselves a bleeding 1992 Geo Tracker

I could probably get a Suzuki Vitara/Sidekick for pretty much fuck all. Same car.

Just got a white 2016 Golf GTI. I'm also in love with it

Whenever I see those wheels on VWs I just think of 5 point swastikas, unfortunately.

Tfw you non-ironically want a Twingo GT
>small as fuck
>RWD
>rear-engine
>pimped to 110 bhp

Is this a new GOAT hot hatch?

If you can switch the electronic nannies all the way off, which is a possibility knowing RenaultSport.

The GT is probably warm.

Now that there is a GT though, it means that we could see an RS version.

I do sort of want one. I wonder how much they'll cost.

So I'm finally getting around to installing my hitch in the mk6 GTI to help my cousin move across the state. I know I will have to modify my rear exhaust tubing as its an older hitch but the back was tweaked from getting rear ended a while back.

My question is when installing the trailer wiring, would it be fine to tap power from the amp power wire(separately fused of course)?

nah thanks i'll enjoy my 270ish hp with a tune and
S U P E R I O R I N T E R I O R

it's like being attacked by an angry week-old kitten

Threads like this are cute, with your "modern" hot hatches. I drive an old EP3 with full bolt-ons plus cams and tires stickier than your thieving fingers. 24mpg is worth the ability to fuck up stage 2 COBB WRX's and those Audi S4's with whatever modifications. My favorite part is the noise my car makes at 8k+. No other hot hatch can mimic that kind of song, it's just what a proper VTEC motor should sound like. The rest of you lot are embarassing.

Hahaha good one.

Cheap hot hatches? Im toying with jumping on a Panda 100HP short term. They seem pretty quirky and possibly fun

It's time to get a twingo.
Whatever happened to 140hp one?!

Just got a BNR tune for my chevy sonic this morning. It's very responsive now. It's a mild tune and it's still a very noticeable increase in performance.