/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

tonk edition

previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise:

Corneroids, Space Engineers, Starmade, Avorion, From the Depths, Factorio, REM, Robocraft, Machinecraft, Garry's Mod, Homebrew, Besiege, Infinifactory, Scrap Mechanic, GearBlocks, and anything else welcome. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

Space Engineers:
>spaceengineersgame.com
>SpEngies for retards: i.imgur.com/IZekrGe

StarMade:
>star-made.org
>youtube.com/watch?v=7YyxsW_2xmo
Server: NASSzone
IP: nasszone.com:4242

Avorion
>avorion.net/
>/egg/ approved server: 149.202.65.190

From the Depths:
>fromthedepthsgame.com
>/egg/heim idea bin: pastebin.com/Tmk14sf2

Factorio:
>factorio.com/
>guide.factorio.com/index.html
>steamcommunity.com/groups/eggtorio

REM:
>www.remproject.wordpress.com
>youtube.com/channel/UCzp2XM98-FcFWAqhFjnxSbg

Robocraft:
>robocraftgame.com

Machinecraft:
>hrpbk2 wix com / machinecraft
>upload/download designs at filescase.com
>TT Mech template: www.mediafire.com/download/0aalnmvvyvm75sq/TT-Mech-Template.rar
>Helpful starter guide: youtube.com/watch?v=iLVnW5exF3Q

Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>store.steampowered.com/app/325420/
>homebrewgame.com/

Besiege:
>store.steampowered.com/app/346010/
>youtube.com/watch?v=n-aG7E9gTNI

Infinifactory:
>zachtronics.com/infinifactory

Scrap Mechanic:
>store.steampowered.com/app/387990/

Robot Arena 2:
>gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=4
>gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=5

KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>zachtronics.com/kohctpyktop-engineer-of-the-people/

OP Pastebin for new deds : pastebin.com/4YU2GFPj

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA
tyrannyofheaven.org/ZerothAngel/FtDScripts/subcontrol.lua
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for carbon star

How large are you planning on making the gun(s)? Like, if you put them in a big box how large would the box have to be?

rate my factory

I have absolutely no idea, I don't even know what I'm making this boat for. I have this much space.

Do You Think There Could Be Life In The Atmosphere Of A Carbon Star

What's the actual point of a motor driven barrel if it's on a turret anyway?

it's so you can build turret-less guns that can aim

Of course, it's full of carbon based lifeforms.

Looks like you've got a modest amount of space set aside. Both a CRAM or an APS could work, I'd recommend a CRAM with a 3-5-5-5-3 "plus" shape profile under the deck.
_XXX_
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
_XXX_
That'll turn freely in the space you have available. A 3x3 neck can turn in a 3x3 hole, and then you can jam whatever you please abovedeck.

Elevation. Faster aiming. Aiming beyond turret rotation constraints.

No. Carbon plasma is in the core.
Stars are way too hot to harbor life - the temperatures would simply rip any potential organic molecules apart. Even compounds with deuterium instead of protium.

What happened to /kspg/?

Reasons: scat snek, cat cock, scam spic

Ok so I don't really need it on a turret then?

I'm a bit confused on how to set up autoloaders and ammo boxes, do I need a separate ammo box for each autoloader and vice versa? I'm not sure how to put more than two pellet types into the ammo.

spaghetti/10

Is it relatively simple to automate a 90 degree rotation coupled with merge blocks and connectors in spess?

delete this it triggers me

>Ok so I don't really need it on a turret then?
If you don't mind having a 90 degree aiming field in the direction of a gun, sure.
However, in a boat, it's better to have it in a turret.

>I'm a bit confused on how to set up autoloaders and ammo boxes, do I need a separate ammo box for each autoloader and vice versa?
The opposite is preferable, actually. Each autoloader can connect to up to three pellets/ammo boxes (when you're placing it, three of the sides will be "out arrows", those are the sides that can connect) and each ammo box / pellet can connect to any number of autoloaders. The system doesn't count number of boxes/pellets, just the number of connections.

>I'm not sure how to put more than two pellet types into the ammo.
Just have multiple pellet types. Doesn't even have to be connected to the same autoloader.

No I meant I don't need the motor barrel if I have a turret anyway, not the other way around.

I'm even more confused now, Jesus Christ.

Can probably do it with timer blocks and buttons/sensors, no programming. But my money is on rotors immediately exploding because game thinks -90 degree to 0 degree means something other than you think it means. Might be 0 to 90 is what you want, but game wont tell you that and CLANGCLANGCLANG

Of course, any prototyping is done with a whole lot of ctrl+b in creative mode.

ah, then yeah, you don't need it.
I only use elevation, normal and recoil barrels in my turrets

These setups both have four connections. Thus, both give the same effect.

This may be a hell of a spaghetti factory, but it looks absolutely comfy.

>Building ship in spengies
>Accidentally knock the landing gear loose
>Ship spins off into orbit at a leisurely 50m/s without any slowdown or inbuilt thrust

For fuck's sake

>CRAM autoloaders don't connect to each other like AdCannons'
Life isn't fair.

But where do I put the ammo box?

Also can I just put the pellets in a row without the second connection to the autoloader?

>stealing the A S S T A S T I C ship and their TBM
>attaching thrusters to the station then riding it out of bounds

I want to go through this base with a flamethrower

You're a fucking retard.

Ammo box can go wherever a pellet goes, same mechanics.

Connect autoloader to pellet/ammo. Pellet/pellet is gay and wrong and god hates you for even proposing the idea.

CONNECTIONS matter, not individual blocks. Putting things not next to each other is waste. Put autoloader to pellet/ammo.

>CRAM autoloaders don't explode into a supernova that destroys half of your ship when accosted with harsh words

Life isn't fair.

>You're a fucking retard
I know :(

>Ammo box can go wherever a pellet goes, same mechanics.
If I have multiple pellets and multiple ammo boxes, will all ammo boxes be filled with the same pellet combination? For example if I have one ammo box with an autoloader and two blue pellets, and one ammo box with an autoloader and two red pellets, will the end result be ammo with two blue and two red?

Where the fuck did you get the idea that pellets are fed to ammo boxes?

The pellet mix is a property of the gun, not of the ammo boxes. If you have two autoloader-blue connections and two autoloader-red connections you'll have a shell that's half HE and half AP.

ammo boxes and pellets are two different things.
ammo boxes are how much shit you can shoot.
pellets are what kind of shit you're going to shoot

>Where the fuck did you get the idea that pellets are fed to ammo boxes?
I...don't know.

So it doesn't matter that they're on separate autoloaders?

>So it doesn't matter that they're on separate autoloaders?
Niet.

Clang is a harsh mistress. Our only hope is that it might ignore us sometimes.

Ok, so one more question: how many of each pellet do I really need, considering the size constraints?

Hardener - depending on required AP value.
HE - more = better; more damage, bigger blast radius
Frag - again, as much as you can cram hue in; increases shrapnel count (up to a limit) and it's damage
EMP - more = better

So, all in all, add enough ammo boxes, raise AP to required value, if needed at all, and fill the rest with pellets of your choosing.

>Timer blocks still don't function like timer blocks with proper delay and just auto shits out every single command
jesus christ it's been what, two years?

user, you can use a sequence of timers to set up the desired delay between commands.

Yes, but that kind of defeats the purpose as you may as well just use programming blocks and forego the entire fucking clustershit.

More is always better.

Each ammo box recovers 1 ammo per second. The CRAM cannon displays the ammo cost of the shot (which is purely a function of gauge) and the reload time. Ammo cost per shot divided by reload time equals needed number of ammo boxes to sustain fire. Of course, each ammo box you connect to an autoloader decreases reload time, so if you're blazing away as fast as possible this'll be a moving target. Setting a minimum packing time can be a VERY good thing since it both simplifies this and makes each shot more powerful which makes up for the slower rate of fire.

Once you have enough ammo to sustain your desired rate of fire, the rest should be pellets in whatever mix you feel like.

So, do connectors not cause clang any more? I just tried merging a 30rpm rotating rotor connector to a stationary one and it didn't even get damaged.

Do you want CLANG? Because coming here saying that something doesn't CLANG anymore will give you CLANG

>Setting a minimum packing time can be a VERY good thing since it both simplifies this and makes each shot more powerful which makes up for the slower rate of fire.
In light of this, is making twin and more cannons turrets more efficient? You get more chances to hit the target due to trajectory deviation and inflict more damage, as well as increasing the chances of shells to overwhelm point defense.
Is building smaller twin cannon turret more efficient than single big cannon one?

Bitch, please, the chaos engine prototypes came from me and were BASED on rotating rotors and connector pulls.

speaking of which I should probably try that on a ship instead of a station...

Give Slavdev (spaceengine dude) his support on this thread. >>>

I have this... thing. It's tiny, but the two cannons can leave usless another boat of the same size in just one volley

Be sure to give your support to Space engine on

>shilling

>shilling

>Module-based ships with a 3D constructor
Space Engine can become /egg/ one day.
Go on dick, homosexuals.

It depends (TM).
Really tiny cannons are crap. Really big cannons hit diminishing returns. With a turret of your size, go for one gun.

>does not retain inherent velocity, comes to a complete standstill sans any thrusters of gyros on its' own
innnteresting.

youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA

Clangdrive when

>'No Time For Caution' blasts violently

This may be useful ? exerting a reasonable amount of force with a disproportionally tiny amount of power (presumably just that needed to be turned on)

I mean, it has a rotational velocity, but not much more for the time being.

Of course, there's also the possibility of multi-rotor-rotational-blocks exerting enough velocity to, eventually, exert enough directional velocity with counter-measures to push all the force a singular way, but that's just asking to make a massive hulk of a thing.

Though, yes, the power usage remains 0.28% whether stationary or rotating.

Well yea, my point was that even if its a small force it's being generated by physics engine oversights/non-real... parts/clang and this guy is asking for clang engines

fuck knows how you'd translate that into moving anything with it but this is clang we're talking about

thanks for the factual feedback tho user

I have another answer

increase STRENGTH / pull in a particular direction while all five other sides are rotating to even out the fucking clusterfuck of velocity pull that one side is making

brb one second.

What's the sweet spot for CRAM gauge? I know it's ~125 for AdCannons.

Here's a prototype, if anyone cares to see if being able to make programmable blocks and timers to set up a particular rotation and pull on each side makes it work properly, be my guest.

>3x3x3 cube (default size, incremental)
>Rotor, 1 block, 4 connectors, each side, equal amount of connectors on cube
>a power source
>seat

Oh and the power usage for 4*6 connectors and 6 rotors is 1.68%

>More is always better.
But how little is enough, what's the minimum?

even though I started this line of thought I have no clue what this achieves other than hilarity, user

aren't they just going to spin? and clang, but I suppose that IS the point?

>It's an user tries to harness the power of CLANG episode.
This seems like a really bad idea.

It made a horrible sound when I turned strength to 100%, but it didn't get damaged or anything.

What if you used a two-point rotor - a rotor placed on the block that holds those connectors... and spin it the other way, with another set of connectors?

so: each set spins counter to the opposite set in attempt to... clang? and you've set the connector 'magnetism' to 100% with only noises as the backlash, if I'm following this correctly

godspeed user

Is it possible to turn off a PID in LUA? I was trying to set up hydrofoils or PID with an ACB to either set hydrofoils to 0 or somehow influence the PID or something when going backwards, but it's not happening.

Any idea why? Why can't I just manually override the General PID or turn it off?

Just prototyping right now.

100% strength on connectors, 30rpm same direction on all sides, a fuckload of sounds, no damage, and damage -is- on.

Basically, what this means is that I can perform an extension of this onto something else, like, say, a spinning, extendable arm for drilling that can then connect without any problems at all to the main part, and not have to worry about clang.

Just make PID function in LUA and fuck with it as you please.

>Just

Ah, gotcha. That's pretty useful in itself, though I was hoping the magically generated forces could be twisted to be part of some kind of clang-engine as mentioned by some other user.

Still, rotation and extention without explosions is valuable. Plus it looks scifi as fug

Good job senpai

>2016
>still using PID

Thing is, I used something just like this, I had a 10x10x10 cube with a small rotor of 4*2 on a single side and set it to 50% strength with 30rpm and it just spun wildly out of control in a direction with increasing speed

a... half a year ago or more? something like that.

it spins and it wont stop

it's some sort of infernal clang machine

webbums

tyrannyofheaven.org/ZerothAngel/FtDScripts/subcontrol.lua

I found this, looks like it's meant for submarines, but it seems to allow for forward and backward movement with hydrofoils, I'll have to look into it.

sounds exploitable as fuck, I have vauge recollections of rotors just generating force adjactent to their spin (because jej keen) but somewhat sporadically and not in a simple vector, but with the amount of clang in everything and lack of testing it could have been anything

>use it with an arm on one side and fling nukes/missles/cluster bombs with minimal energy/thruster input

it could be a hyper efficient weapon if not an engine component

2000mm for CRAMs.

And for AdCannons sweet spot depends on what you're trying to do with it.

1 is the minimum.

OMG

This works perfectly, if anyone doesn't know about it, you only have to edit a few things so that your hydrofoil ship doesn't act like a sub and go under water and shit.

As far as the forward/backward hydrofoil control goes, it works 110%, now I only have to remember the fucking PID block values that I deleted that didn't bob the goddamn thing up and down like default values.

>1 is the minimum.
OH COME ON.

Would a hearty "IT DEPENDS" suit your entitled asshole better when you shove it in next to your head?

user, I know that you're still new to FtD, but...
Could you just try the guns to see how you like it?
I mean, everybody here builds the guns in their own ways, so you won't have a best answer. Build a gun, test it, and if you don't like it's fire ratio, add more autoloaders with ammo boxes. If you don't like it's power, increase the gauge or use more pellets.

But that's exactly what I'm doing now, I just had a slight pause while I edited this shit to work properly. I'm just afraid I'm doing it wrong!

Anyone playing empyrion?

>2000mm
Thanks senpai.

Alright i started up FtD and started doing the tutorials. How the hell do i remove water from my vessel? I tried airpumps but they dont seem to do much

Is your vessel sealed?

Sealed as in no holes? Yes it is.

Put your build cursor over the pumps. Does it say if there are any leaks? If so, turn it off and on, sometimes it fails to recalc the room bounds.

Yeah that did it. Thanks

Yeah. It's looking great, but needs a bit more content to last more than a week.

So Empyrion vs Avorion?

Pulling vehicle in and out of play helps with systems getting stuck too.