BMW 135i or 335i?

Interested in both. Which one?

Common issues?

Which years should I avoid?

RWD or X-Drive? I'd prefer rear-wheel, but live on the east coast (DC area), so worried about snow. Does X-Drive take away all the fun?

if you need to ask if you need AWD, you don't need it.

get snow tires

DC winters are very hit-or-miss. We got three feet of snow this winter, but others we literally get nothing.

Get a cheap spare set of wheels and snow tires like other user said. Steelies are just fine just make sure they will clear your brakes. You should be able to get a set with tires for $800 or less

Get a 135i and snow tires.

ALSO... Forgot to mention that my budget is $25k

I'm honestly leaning towards the 135i because it seems like a cool little zippy go-kart. What does the 335 offer over it? Just more space and practicality?

If you're that worried about snow, just get a Subaru WRX.

>What does the 335 offer over it?
snob appeal

Ehh, I respect their performance, but don't like the styling. Too immature.

Common issues is that the turbos are garbage and regularly blow at 80k miles, the fuel injectors crust up and spray irregularly, all BMWs have garbage cooling systems a problem they've had since the late 90s. They also have a tendency to spin bearings when pushed hard.

Pros is easy power, a tune and intake can net you 40whp easy. The 135i feels like a pig fat s2000 with a hard top it's fun to drive. I personally wouldn't bother with the 335 unless you care about drag racing

>the turbos are garbage and regularly blow at 80k miles
Lmao. Great! All the ones I can afford are like 60-80k miles. Just budget that expense i guess...

E63 BMW M6. Just make sure it's recently had the SMG pump done.
Seriously op, with a 25k budget the BMW m6 v10. Alternatively a Jaguar XK or Porsche Cayman in that price bracket will prove to be a superior choice

>v10
I came.

>M6
>V10

I forgot about that car, they're like early 20k now. Thanks user

The v10s are nothing but problems that's why they're cheap, avoid them

They are cheap because you will spend $20k a year keeping them running.

This. Even with the relatively affordable used price, you're just not gonna be able to afford maintenance on an M6 unless you make a nice salary, or you're just some autistic mechanical wizard.

It's a little like the e46 vs the e39

If they're similar enough
I'd get the 135i if because there's so many 3 series out on the road these days

Noob question:

What happens when a turbo goes? Does the car become completely undriveable, or is there just a noticeable loss of power?

Coming from a BMW owner, don't get a bmw with awd

Car is underivable, and you risk further damage to the engine.

Make sure you get one with the M-Sport package.

Get a used Mustang gt. Bmws are shit after the e46, e39, and m coupe. No dipsticks.

Yeah... I get the whole "performance-for-your-dollar" thing, I'm just not a big fan of muscle/pony cars.

The only weak points on the M6 are the SMG box and Vanos... Just like any other BMW for that generation.

The V10 itself is quite solid.

That being said, OP buy a Cayman.

As someone considering an E92, is the X-Drive problematic? I'd prefer RWD but I'll take AWD as long as it isn't front-biased and every fucking E92 in the area is AWD.

>I can parrot Veeky Forums memes
The E90 had some fuck-ups such as the whole dipstick thing but if that's a deal-breaker then you're just being a little bitch; it's still pretty good to drive unlike the F30.

AWD is shit. You live way up north or something?

But is it actually shit or just shit because I can't kick the ass out?

I mean it's just worse than RWD. It's heavier and handles worse. but if you live in a snowy area then it will be better.

NJ and moving to CO (probably), snow here hasn't been so much of an issue that I couldn't DD various RWD sports cars through winter though. I don't want AWD but if I can find an E92 that fits the rest of my criteria then I'd likely cave.

Buy rear wheel drive. With LSD. So all BMWs except M cars are out. Buy a infiniti g37.

and no LSDs. my e90 understeered. and power gets cut down even in normal fast turns, by traction control. never buying a BMW again unless they bring limited slip as an option on M cars.

thanks for the thread, OP. I have nearly the same question.
I really want to have a '11 Mustang but because I'm a eurofag the Mustang is 10k more expensive then a 3-Series BMW. So I can choose between a 120i or something or a E93 325i. Because of high taxes I need a car with lower power, but I don't want a underpowered car. So what this the best engine for the E93 (Cabrio, 1,700kg). Or should I better choose an 1-Series with less power and less weight?

buy a gilken you normie.
and learn to turn off tcs.

bump

Usually turbo seals leak which means moisture to the oil which means your oil looks like a Frappuccino.

M cars all have LSDs

>no dipsticks
nigga in every BMW it has a menu to check it.

Can someone explain that fuel pump issue? How much does it cost to fix? Is it a permanent fix?